Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition Announced

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

I would be all for a completely classless game. CRPGs like Dungeon Siege did this fairly well. For example, you used bows a lot, your dexterity went up much faster than other ability scores, which mean you did more damage and were more accurate with a bow, but lacked the strength to equip certain types of armour or use certain weapons.

If you used mainly offensive magic, your ... whatever it was called, I forget now. Anyway, your skills in that went up faster then nature (healing/protective) magic. You could still use Nature magic, but the spells you could learn, and their effectiveness, was lower than that of someone who focused on it.

I am reserving my opinions on 4e for when I get more details on it.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Posted a [url=viewtopic.php?t=761:3skgprsx]follow-up news item[/url:3skgprsx].

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2t37i9pf]
Actually, I got the impression that multiclassing will become much, much easier. They seem to be dedicated to make multiclassing much more viable. Or, as they say it, a Fighter/Wizard should be a good character and not a crappy fighter and a crappy wizard. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if almost every character will multiclass (for example, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the base classes only have ten levels or so).
[/quote:2t37i9pf]

I still say multiclassing will be more limited, because of the redesign. There goes my Dire Wolf/Ranger by the wayside. *wink*

What they say is no lame characters and they do not say you can have a fighter/wizard. They do say it is an improvement, but not much as to how it will be.
They do say charaters will have more defined roles.
They do say there will only be up to 11 classes.
DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Post by DarkSongKnight »

I don't mind the official rules changing to a new system. 4ed sounds ok, thus far. It means buying more books though, and I already have about 25 hardcovers, without counting novels. :tear:

What I [i:3cjg2sv5]am[/i:3cjg2sv5] worried about, is how much the lore of the Forgotten Realms will be affected. Especially with [i:3cjg2sv5]The Lady Penitent[/i:3cjg2sv5] series...

I do think that the drow race as we know it will be changed drastically, and that Qilue's destiny is looming right in front of us.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

One thing is sure. Elaine Cunningham said she won't be writting any FR book any time soon... The change via a novel series will probably not take place.
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

which is unfortunate, and makes the FR novel she's working on right now the last we'll see for a while. I'm looking forward to it, though, as Elaine Cunningham is one of my favorite authors. Still, the upcoming [i:1vzap549]Reclamation[/i:1vzap549] will be the last novel in the Song and Swords series, too, which is also a shame.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/