Drow of the Underdark Excerpts

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Drow of the Underdark Excerpts

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Wizards is releasing the new Drow of the Underdark book and as such has posted [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... D:2bav95i8]a number of excerpts from it[/url:2bav95i8] on their website.

I haven’t read any of it yet because, to be honest, I’m not really interested. This book is released in the default (i.e. Greyhawk) setting instead of the Forgotten Realms, a setting which I’ve lost all interest in ever since the Flesh for Lolth article in Dragon magazine. There is a chance that this book undoes the damage that article did to the drow, but I’m not holding my breath and, as such, I’m not interested in the book.

Similarly they’ve also released the Expedition to the Demonweb Pits adventure, for which they posted [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... D:2bav95i8]a host of maps[/url:2bav95i8] on their website.

[EDIT 10 May 2007] Wizards now also put up a [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... a:2bav95i8]Drow of the Underdark Art Gallery[/url:2bav95i8].

Anyway, posted the links in case you are interested.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
Last edited by Shir'le E. Illios on Thu May 10, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

What did the article contain?
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:196nb673]Ooooohhhhh.... Maps! :)) [/color:196nb673]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Post by DarkSongKnight »

I scanned over the excerpts, but don't see one thing that hints at options for good-aligned drow.
But then again, in Greyhawk, drow = evil, evil, evil. :bored:
They do re-present several monsters that were original to the Forgotten Realms though. For example... the draegloth and quaggoth. They also are putting in albino drow. Hmm....
I'll probably buy the book, for no other reason than I like drow.
valkryn
Maid
Maid

Post by valkryn »

Most Likely I'll Be picking It up .. I have The Origional Handbook of 'Drow of the Underdark" that was re;eased 16 years ago And Most Likely I'll be Buying This As well

I DO Like The Maps they Provided ... From what I've Seen, It'll most likely Be a Interesting Book .. even if they focused on Greyhawk Drow instead of FR ...
'Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities'
- Voltaire

Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

Albino Drow? Thats a frickin Moon Elf ! I hate Greyhawk and Eberron with a passion, buncha pretentious fools who think their content is better than FR, and it makes about as much sense as one of Bush's speeches.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
valkryn
Maid
Maid

Post by valkryn »

Something Actually Surprised Me Earlier Today .. I Went to Chapters Today To Place a Pre-Order For The Next Graphic Novel Series of 'The Legend of Drizzt' Series The Crystal Shard (If your A Fan of The series or Graphic Novels in General, then I recommenmd these printed by Devil's Publishing ... the Art work is Amazing) .. I looked up the Drow of The Underdark sense up here in Canada, You can Buy the D&D Gaming Books as well ... 'Drow Of the Underdark' Comes out on the 8th .,... usually WOTC waits til the End of The Month for a Book that they know will be popular ... so OF Course I made my Pre-Order .. LOL Only $44 CDN so not too bad ..lol
'Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities'
- Voltaire

Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

Yeah, I love the new Drizzt and Anita Blake comics, they got the best artists in the genre for them.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[quote="Jubilee":1xggckxa]... and it makes about as much sense as one of Bush's speeches.[/quote:1xggckxa]

[color=darkred:1xggckxa]Hey! >:( [/color:1xggckxa]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Added a link to the [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... a:3qrj4y2d]Drow of the Underdark Art Gallery[/url:3qrj4y2d].

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:2q4su83c]nice. :) [/color:2q4su83c]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Tarlyn
Regular

Post by Tarlyn »

[quote:2sufjb2b]Yeah, I love the new Drizzt and Anita Blake comics, they got the best artists in the genre for them. [/quote:2sufjb2b]

I have seen it but I actually prefer the cover art by Jeff Easley for the Icewind Dale trilogy, now that was really nice art!!!!! That's my opinion though as well as my preference ;)
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:2webbyqd]I usually like Lockwood, but he always makes Jarlaxle look like an orc.[/color:2webbyqd] >:(
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

one thing... not one of the PrC's would be something Eilistraeean's could train as...

Many of the feats could probaly be open to eilistraee'ans though.

but I had an idea...

Insiduous corrupter's I think one who became good, could probaly keep all his powers...

And its not TOO Outrageous for one to become good since their oftentimes out infiltrating surface settlements and being exposed to good qualitys.
Dax
Maid
Maid

Post by Dax »

Hi everyone!

Actually it was DoTU that first introduced me to Drow, well, in any depth anyway. I've always known about them, but was never interested in them until now (I hope this doesn't amount to heresy here ;) ). So I guess that I am not familiar with the differences between the drow portrayed in there and the Forgotten Realms drow. If anyone does know I'd love to hear it.

[quote="DarkSongKnight":1x7k5tli]I scanned over the excerpts, but don't see one thing that hints at options for good-aligned drow.[/quote:1x7k5tli]

Actually there are about three pages in there dedicated to making Drow PCs. It even says:

[quote="Drow of the Underdark":1x7k5tli]Many times drow are used as PCs themselves. These might be renegade drow do-gooders that wander the surface or the Underdark seeking to escape their heritage and right the wrongs committed by their race...[/quote:1x7k5tli]

It gives a new racial class for drow, and rules on half-drow (including a feat for them called "Drow Legacy"). The racial class is to account for drow having an ECL of 3, so as to not unbalance the game. All in all, I thought that it was well done, and is what I am using in the game I am in.

Anyway, I thought that you'd like to know. I hope this is useful to someone.