Neverwinter Nights 2 Expansion Announced

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Neverwinter Nights 2 Expansion Announced

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

For months there isn’t any interesting news to report, and then on the [i:3jg8d12k]one[/i:3jg8d12k] day I’m off to London Obsidian comes with this news, nearly making me miss it. :squint:

Anyway, Obsidian and Atari have announced that they’re developing an expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2, named “Mask of the Betrayer”. Here’s the [url=http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... 9:3jg8d12k]official announcement[/url:3jg8d12k]:

[quote:3jg8d12k]Posted 04/12/07 12:59 (GMT) by maverickshane

ATARI ANNOUNCES
NEVERWINTER NIGHTS â„¢ 2: MASK OF THE BETRAYER
Expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2 Features Engrossing New Campaign; Epic Levels; New Companions and Much More

NEW YORK – April 12, 2006 – Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR), one of the world’s most recognized brands and a third-party video game publisher, today announced the development of the next chapter in the Neverwinter Nights saga – Neverwinter Nightsâ„¢ 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the expansion to the award-winning Neverwinter Nights 2 is set in the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® Forgotten Realms® universe created by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS). DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is under license from HPG, the licensing division of Hasbro. Neverwinter Nightsâ„¢ 2: Mask of the Betrayer will be available in North America in Fall 2007.

In Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, players are transported back to the Forgotten Realms shortly after the events detailed in the original Neverwinter Nights 2. Following the climactic battle against the King of Shadows, the player awakens alone and stranded deep beneath the earth. Surrounded by a horde of evil spirits, the player embarks on an epic adventure that reveals his true destiny.

“Atari’s commitment to the Neverwinter Nights franchise and the enormous community is strong,” said Nique Fajors, Vice President, Sales, Marketing, Atari, Inc. “We are on track to release the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion pack this Fall, less than one year since the launch of Obsidian’s outstanding sequel, and are confident the new features will deliver a role-playing experience that further engages and satisfies fans.”

Set in harsh, spirit-rich Rashemen, near the powerful nation of Thay, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer will present players with an exciting new campaign; epic levels; dozens of new feats and spells; new races, base classes and prestige classes; new companions; new weapons, armor and crafting options; hordes of new monsters; and enhanced modding tools.

“Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer’s engrossing campaign will conclude the storyline that began in the original Neverwinter Nights 2 and focus on combat, exploration and classic D&D dungeon-crawling,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment. “We’re also making new advances in story and character development as well as improving upon the acclaimed companion Influence System used in both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2.”

The Neverwinter Nights franchise has sold more than three million copies worldwide, is translated into 10 languages, sold in more than 40 countries and features one of the largest and most active fan communities in all of gaming. To date, fans of the franchise, which includes Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentideâ„¢ Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdarkâ„¢ and Neverwinter Nights 2 have created more than 5,000 modifications to the original game using the award-winning toolset included with the full game that allows players to create their own universes, quests and storylines.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is scheduled for release in Fall 2007. More information about Neverwinter Nights 2 can be found at [url=http://www.nwn2.com:3jg8d12k]www.nwn2.com[/url:3jg8d12k], which includes user forums, project news, development updates and more.[/quote:3jg8d12k]
I’m not altogether happy with them already doing epic levels; I’d much rather have them expand on the base 20 levels first. But then “epic” seems to sell copies, so it’s not really a surprise.

NWVault also has [url=http://nwvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=28391:3jg8d12k]a couple of screenshots[/url:3jg8d12k] from the new expansion up. Looks like they’re including snow (as well as a couple of other neat things).

For the base game it seems that the v1.05 patch will be up any day now. They’ve had it up briefly, but then pulled it again as the patch was causing some problems. And they’re already working on v1.06 in which they’ll include a number of script commands from the latest NWN1 patch that weren’t included yet, and it seems they’re including added undo functionality in the toolset for terrain editing.

Seems exciting times ahead for Neverwinter Nights 2. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Aessinus
Maid
Maid

Post by Aessinus »

Cameron Creek Mule Farm & Smithy
Aessinus & Son, Proprietors
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Great. Finally a place that ISN'T along the Sword coast somewhere!
Well, I suppose SoU took us to the Anauroch, and HoTU took us to the Underdark but.. they both started off in a coastal town/city eh? eh? wot?
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="CrankyOzzie":yo1bop21]Great. Finally a place that ISN'T along the Sword coast somewhere!
Well, I suppose SoU took us to the Anauroch, and HoTU took us to the Underdark but.. they both started off in a coastal town/city eh? eh? wot?[/quote:yo1bop21]
Well, Mask of the Betrayer starts where NWN2 ended... which was also along the Sword Coast (technically). :p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Meh. They REALLY need to stop their love affair with the Sword Coast. Sure, there's a lot of large cities there, but what about places like the Dales, or Halruua, or even The Sea of Fallen Stars?

It's not wonder so many people in nwn give me a dumbfounded look when I mention a place that ISN'T on the bloody sword coast.

Ahem. I'll stop ranting.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Oh, I agree. And I get the feeling that it (the expansion) won't [i:r2orq2bu]feel[/i:r2orq2bu] like you start in the Sword Coast.

It'll probably start with you crawling through the collapsed ruins of the Shadow Fortress until you come acress a portal, after which you'll find yourself in Rashemen. Something along those lines. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Good, I should be able to play it by the time the second expansion comes out
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:2w3hnfd1]How about a game in Kara-tur?[/color:2w3hnfd1]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

Wish their first game frickin worked right before the expanded on it. Theres still next to no one playin NWN2 online.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:da7ktp8r]Maybe because next to no one can play it.[/color:da7ktp8r]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

Case in point. It is about as efficient with resources as the US Gov't.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 Expansion Announced

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

Yes I know this is more than a little late... okay so it's a LOT late.

[quote:1n8z8wq2]Posted 04/12/07 12:59 (GMT) by maverickshane

Set in harsh, spirit-rich Rashemen, near the powerful nation of Thay, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer will present players with an exciting new campaign; epic levels; dozens of new feats and spells; new races, [b:1n8z8wq2]base classes[/b:1n8z8wq2] and prestige classes; new companions; new weapons, armor and crafting options; hordes of new monsters; and enhanced modding tools.
[/quote:1n8z8wq2]

Base classes!?!? *crosses fingers* come on Warmage! And what is it with this fall and expansion packs that I'll have to buy, first MTW II: Kingdoms and now this!

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":1n8z8wq2]
I’m not altogether happy with them already doing epic levels; I’d much rather have them expand on the base 20 levels first. But then “epic” seems to sell copies, so it’s not really a surprise.

They ARE expanding on the base 20 levels, new base classes being a big one.

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":1n8z8wq2]
How about a game in Kara-tur?

Because the coolness of a Drow Samurai would cause the heads of Anti-Drow flamers everywhere to explode and Atari would be brought up on hundreds of charges of manslaughter.[/b]
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Aessinus
Maid
Maid

Post by Aessinus »

Start about here:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... highlight=

very enlightening presentation.

Peace be
aessinus
Cameron Creek Mule Farm & Smithy
Aessinus & Son, Proprietors
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

Favored Soul? Nice one obsidion, throw in a base class who's cheif differnces between itself and a Cleric are a lack of Domains and a number of features that can't be fully implemented in NWN2

I'd almost be willing to bet money they won't put in the Warmage or if they do they water it down. That class has become the end all be all for me in pnp action and I was saddened when they used the slightly over powered though very VERY boring (in pnp anyway) warlock instead.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire