Neverwinter: Pay to Drizzt

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: Neverwinter: Pay to Drizzt

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Aylstra Illianniis":3uq6pceb]That was the best you could find?[/quote:3uq6pceb]
"with a brief search", yes. i.e. I typed in "drow" in Google image search and picked the first one (more or less) that, from the thumbnail, looked quite decent.

Beyond that I'm quite particular about the exact shade of black for my drow skin. I like it a bit shiny. :P

Mavrosh's work, from a brief glance at them, has some quite nice examples in there as well, most definitely. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Norraneth
Maid
Maid

Post by Norraneth »

I've not been with this forum in ages but :) thought I'd share a few pictures too from Neverwinter.

The game is actually ....quite fun

3 dark elves :

[url=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Elune ... l:2rngw1kw][img:2rngw1kw]http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s60 ... 276386.jpg[/img:2rngw1kw][/url:2rngw1kw]

[url=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Elune ... l:2rngw1kw][img:2rngw1kw]http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s60 ... e98192.jpg[/img:2rngw1kw][/url:2rngw1kw]

[url=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Elune ... l:2rngw1kw][img:2rngw1kw]http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s60 ... 38551e.jpg[/img:2rngw1kw][/url:2rngw1kw]

and a wood elf :

[url=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Elune ... l:2rngw1kw][img:2rngw1kw]http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s60 ... dcde68.jpg[/img:2rngw1kw][/url:2rngw1kw]

:) not sure if any of you are playing yet (though I' spend most my time on the Dragon server)

login name @neutral22 (one of my elves is named : Norraneth Tir'eivra (like my NWN2 Haven character)

;-) all my drow elves are followers of Eilistraee
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Norraneth":29sl6u8n];-) all my drow elves are followers of Eilistraee[/quote:29sl6u8n]
Hmm, I thought that they wouldn't allow anyone to play drow for at least several months after launch.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Norraneth
Maid
Maid

Post by Norraneth »

That is true, but ..they did add that one race( called Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow for those of us silly enough to toss some extra coin their way.
They call it the ...Hero of the North package ,(I was one of those -even- though I'm a student who can't normally afford food half the month <_<).

I copied this from their FAQ : " What are the specifics surrounding the exclusivity of the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow that comes with the Hero of the North Founder's Pack?

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character. "
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Who would want a regular spider kissing Drow? *wink*
By the way, nice pictures.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Norraneth":b0ckfb68]That is true, but ..they did add that one race( called Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow for those of us silly enough to toss some extra coin their way.[/quote:b0ckfb68]
Ah, that explains that then. Thank you. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Chifawn
Maid
Maid

Post by Chifawn »

well they saying it going to be free to play a drow in the next few months as they going to add a new race people have to pay to play and new class I understand why they charge for it even this the game is free they need mony to keep it open and update 200 to play drizzt is a little high then again that's all you hve to pay were like wow its 50..bucks to keep with the updates and userfeee any ways I think we should make a chosen of Eilistraee guild in the neverwinter server and well play our faith sure people might run there mouth but we don't have to pvp unless needed and we could follow her teacheings and help players and nwebs alike in questing I think it could be fun and give us a chance to knock some dust off our characters with Eilistraees grace it could be fun and theres nothing to lose not every follower of Eilistraee has to be a drow right ? :angel:
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Chifawn":3p234eif]not every follower of Eilistraee has to be a drow right ? :angel:[/quote:3p234eif]
Indeed not. Eilistraee welcomes those of all races into her grace. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

Hmmmm.... not sure that I like how it looks. Think I might stick to SWTOR. Anyone know what ed this is based on?
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":8zbu2mhx]Anyone know what ed this is based on?[/quote:8zbu2mhx]
4E (and post-SPellplague lore). Though heavily modified for the game (since I know neither 4E nor Neverwinter's verion of the rules that well I can't comment on to what extend, but let me just say that Neverwinter is a real-time, action-y game).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Endymion107
Maid
Maid

Post by Endymion107 »

It is worth mentioning that while the world and its lore are 4th ed and spellplague and all that, (which I dislike heavily even without them killing off all the god/goddesses I liked) the foundry itself has no such restrictions aside perhaps from copyright issues, it is my hope that we will see a bit more Eilistraee flavored content there in the future, as it is getting harder to get my fix anywhere else, and there is little hope that any more books will be written about her.
xhrit
Maid
Maid

Post by xhrit »

I have not played pen and paper since 2nd edition. And while I did run an Eilistraee themed warband while dci was sanctioning ddm, I have not really rp'd in the forgotten realms since neverwinter nights.

Started playing the new Neverwinter when it went open beta. Hit level cap after two weeks. Since then I have spent almost all my free time playing with the foundry making a dark tragedy campaign called 'Tears of Selune'.

In any case, I found this site researching 4th edition lore for my most recent quest, as I plan on featuring a blade dancer in a central role in the story. I am totally disappointed Eilistraee is dead. I had to re-write some major parts of my quest because of that, but it does make the character even more tragic. I am optimistic that 5th edition and the sundering will feature a return of Eilistraee, but until then I am going to make do with the tattered remnants of plot they left us to work with.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Meh. You don't have to include 4e lore about Eilistraee in your quest, especially considering that you don't like it and that the motivation behind it was a pretty (and not so much) excuse to hammer some design changes in the setting, rather than a fitting and logical conclusion to the drow story (and it [i:3vsikyo9]shows[/i:3vsikyo9] in the nonsense and randomness that drives some crucial gods' actions).

If i was you, I'd rather stick with the version of the lore you like than feeling forced to change a whole story just because a bunch of guys who decided to change the Realms removed many enjoyable and flavorful elements from it (particularly considering that the game foundry doesn't force any storyline).

As I see it, canon is a tool to be used as seen fit, otherwise it has the potential to only hurt your work and enjoyment of the setting.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
xhrit
Maid
Maid

Post by xhrit »

Thing is, I am pretty strict about lore. The whole reason I play around in an established setting is because of the lore. When I read about the changes to the lore in 4e my reaction was that of utter revulsion, and my first instinct was to scrap the story altogether. After a few days passed though, the more I think about how the 4th edition lore effects my story, the more I think it is actually quite fitting for a campaign about grief.

I named the module 'Everdark'.

I named the sword dancer Lornabell, which means 'forsaken love' in Gaelic.

When the PC first meets her she is dancing alone in a moonlit grove, crying. The "A Plot" will be rescuing slaves from the underdark, because while the followers of Eilistraee might have been saved, the evil Drow still pray on the weak. The "B Plot" will be trying to make Lornabell happy again, a task far more difficult then any battle.

Someone left a comment on my campaign last night while I was asleep. It was about the quest "Rising of the Dark", and says "This campaign better have a happy ending, because this was the saddest moment I've had in a video game in a long time."

Spoiler alert:

It doesn't.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Obviously, you are free to use what you wish for your projects and by no means I wanted to dissuade you from doing so.

What I was saying is that, even considering a shared setting, the 'purpose' of using its lore is to bring enjoyment when reading/playing in the setting and ''ease'' when preparing game material (by using already existing stuff instead of making it up from scraps). If you find some changes to not be of your liking (and even more so if they make very little sense or were handled badly, rendering the lore poorer), sticking to them is like shackling yourself, limiting the possibilities for your campaign and your fun (which would defeat the very goal of a fantasy setting).

However it looks like you are satisfied with how your quest turned, so my argument is kinda pointless. I just wanted to clarify what I meant.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.