Neverwinter Previews Drow

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Neverwinter Previews Drow

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Cryptic/Perfect World have a short preview up regarding drow in their new action MMO Neverwinter:

[quote:9r5xnm0f][center:9r5xnm0f][img:9r5xnm0f]http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/ ... 212753.jpg[/img:9r5xnm0f][/center:9r5xnm0f]

Warped cousins of the surface elves, the drow are a race of subterranean dark elves, their cruelty matched only by their talent for magic. The drow are a calculating blight on Faerûn, plotting to enslave and conquer in the name of their goddess Lolth, the Spider Queen - but some drow choose to become heroes.

A few drow reject the evil of their homeland, and leave the drow city of Menzoberranzan for the surface world. These brave renegades can be Neverwinter's most loyal defenders, fighting for acceptance among races that often hate and distrust them.

Lately the defenders of Neverwinter have noticed that drow have been increasingly active in the area. Identified by renegades as members of House Xorlarrin, these drow are searching for an entrance to Gauntlgrym, an ancient lost city of dwarves. With the treasures stored there, House Xorlarrin could become a dangerous threat to Neverwinter.

[center:9r5xnm0f][img:9r5xnm0f]http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/ ... 212567.jpg[/img:9r5xnm0f][/center:9r5xnm0f]

Whether in the dark service of Lolth or under the banner of Neverwinter, drow are intelligent and have a natural talent for magic, such that even their foot soldiers can draw on the power of Darkfire. All drow characters have this power: Every time a drow attacks, there's a chance it'll debuff the target's Defense.

In addition, drow do not sleep as humans do. Instead, they enter a trance for a few hours, disdaining the eight hours of unconsciousness humans need. In Neverwinter, this is reflected in the racial ability Trance, which allows all drow characters to recover faster at campfires.

In addition, because of their inborn grace and force of personality, all drow characters get +2 Dexterity and +2 Charisma.

[center:9r5xnm0f][img:9r5xnm0f]http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/ ... 212587.jpg[/img:9r5xnm0f][/center:9r5xnm0f]

With their natural dexterity and talent for magic, drow adventurers will be a powerful force for good when Neverwinter launches in 2013. Keep checking back for more previews!

(Please remember that Neverwinter is still in development, and some of these elements could change.)[/quote:9r5xnm0f]
To be honest, this is the first time I even heard of the bonuses that drow get in 4E. And I'm frankly wondering what offsets this increase in power (unless every race gets something similar, which as I understand 4E might well be how it works).

Personally I have little interest in Neverwinter, but the draw to play a drow, I must admit, is a strong one. As such I might give it a shot anyway when it is released. Maybe play a former priestess of Eilistraee who still believes that she's alive (though I'd feel dirty acknowledging the whole thing to begin with). No idea how much of a roleplaying game it'll be; my hopes aren't very high.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shriastae Tivale
Maid
Maid

Re: Neverwinter Previews Drow

Post by Shriastae Tivale »

4e stats for each race give them two +2's during character creation. In actual 4e, every race has a main stat (for drow, that would be Dexterity) and a "flex" stat that you can choose between two different scores (Wisdom and Charisma for drow). Humans only get one bonus stat, but it can be anything they want.

This is one of those minor things from 4e that's always irritated me. Extremely minor, mind you, and not enough to make me dislike the game. I've just been raised on drow getting Intelligence as a bonus stat, and it screwed up [i:28c6flj9]all[/i:28c6flj9] of my characters when I tried to convert them over. The fact that it all happens post-Spellplague helps my head wrap around it, I think, since the Spellplague was essentially the sudden and [i:28c6flj9][b:28c6flj9]violent[/i:28c6flj9][/b:28c6flj9] destruction of "normal" Faerûn.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on Neverwinter. I'd personally love to play it if I ever get a real gaming machine.
Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Post by Alaric Darkrose »

I'm hesitant, but that's because of the changes to Forgotten Realms that they made. It's bad enough that they got rid of Eilistraee. Hopefully they bring her back for 5th. I digress, though. I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm going to be hesitant.
"There are those who think, and those who dream. I, for one, refuse to choose between the two." -Liriel Baenre.

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Cautiously pessimistic. [i:30rovykc]<nods>[/i:30rovykc]

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Chifawn
Maid
Maid

Post by Chifawn »

I played the new neverwinter yes shes not in it but there is still the foundary that unlocks at 15th level allowing you to do your own quest maybe if we got our players back togeather and did a foundary quest of the adventureing serving and learning Eilistraees faith maybe it will bring Eilistraee come back at lest in the game as perferct world has rites to the game and can do as they wishes since 4.0 is outdated all ready? I do not know the rulling on lost faiths but from 3.5 as long as a followers of the dead power is alive and holds the teachings true aka power is not dead just weak untell more come in to the sthreahold of the fate as forgotten relams gos not is lots forever so there is still hope but using the foundary I heard the drow will be free to play in the next few months.
:angel: :D
Endymion107
Maid
Maid

Post by Endymion107 »

So far the only Eilistraee related foundry quest I have played is 'Waygate Into The Dark' but it was rather good considering the limitedness of the foundry currently, I've been keeping an eye for anything else involving Eilistraee but not much exists yet.
Chifawn
Maid
Maid

Post by Chifawn »

oh I haven't done that yet being a lvl 22 cleric im hopeing the drow becomes free to play soon
:angel:
xhrit
Maid
Maid

Post by xhrit »

I did not have high hopes for neverwinter, but after giving it a chance I find I enjoy it immensely. The foundry is not as powerful as the content creation kit is in neverwinter nights, but it is far more user friendly, and all the tools to create great stories are there.

I only have one quest featuring Eilistraee so far, it is called Everdark. Published today in fact. My other quests are all about Selûne and Shar. In any case I am totally going to roll a dark elf cleric when they add the drow race. She will get her spells from Selûne while she waits for the sundering and the return of Eilistraee.

Also, I think I am going to make a quest where you kill Cyric for being a d-bag. It is going to be like God of War, you will kill almost all of the FR gods. Objective Complete : Find the Cresent Blade. New Objective: Kill Lolth.

I am totally cool with that lore wise too, because the sundering.

Totally going to play 'Waygate Into The Dark'.

Edit... Oh hey, I've played the first part of this campaign already. Have not played the rest because omg it is long. I try to keep all my quests at ~15 min to cater to the adhd style action rpg.
Chifawn
Maid
Maid

Post by Chifawn »

everdark is a fun quest now all we need is a guild hehe