Chosen of Eilistraee to Develop NWN2 Server!

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Chosen of Eilistraee to Develop NWN2 Server!

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Without many people knowing it has been in the work for months now, the first ideas beginning well over a year ago (or even longer ago if you count the initial discussion I had with a friend regarding a similar idea for NWN1 that we eventually decided not to pursue), but with the release of NWN2 I feel it’s about time to let all of you know:

I’m working on a persistent, roleplaying server for Neverwinter Nights 2, revolving around drow and the goddess Eilistraee.

The server takes place about a decade into the future of the Forgotten Realms; long enough away that its background might be plausible but close enough that it will be familiar enough to everyone. It takes place in a newly formed city named “Lisse Linath” (derived from the drow “Lisse’ Linath” meaning “Harmony Song”) deep in the Forest of Amtar (i.e. the Shining South). Though to many the city is better known as the City of Eilistraee.

Things aren’t easy in the city though, as one would expect with a city full of drow on the surface would have problems. Relations with the Wild Elves of the forest are strained at best. The forest and mountains are full of dangers including bandits, gnoll and even giants. The evil half-drow rulers of Dambrath to the south pose a constant threat and then there is the Lolthian city posing an ever more dire danger in the Underdark below. Even in the city itself there are numerous conflicts; various organizations have entered the city to keep an eye on these drow, acceptance between all the races flooding into the city seeking refuge is quite difficult and the various Eilistraeen sects making a base in it can’t seem to agree on much of anything.

Within all of this turmoil and danger the players enter. Do they choose to try and put an end to any of the problems and how do they go about this? Perhaps they’ll go out of the city to fight the numerous threats coming from without. Or perhaps they choose to remain within the relative safety of the city, getting enrolled in the various schemes and intrigue between all the factions and individuals. Or perhaps they’ll make a home for themselves letting all the conflict pass by them and simply trying to live their lives in peace.

Roleplaying is, without a doubt, the primary goal of the server and much of it should come from the players themselves (including the DMs). But there should a number of other things for players to occupy themselves; a detailed crafting and resource-gathering system based on Obsidian’s crafting system, a variety of quest in separated quest areas where a party can enjoy a pre-crafted story without interruption by other players, a number of mini-games which, if they have little to do with the background of the server, should at least allow for an enjoyable diversion for a while, a number of monsters out in the wilds for players to hunt (which will [i:1vyaqfu4]not[/i:1vyaqfu4] be a means to advance in levels so nobody is required to take this action) or test your mettle against other players in one of various player versus player arenas.

If the thought of roleplaying an Eilistraeen (drow or otherwise) or the thought of roleplaying with drow and Eilistraeens (as friend or foe) intrigues you, if any of the above sounds interesting, then take a look at [url=http://www.eilistraee.com/city/home.php:1vyaqfu4]our (beta) website[/url:1vyaqfu4] and read and discuss the designs and development of the server with us in [url=index.php?c=5:1vyaqfu4]our server forums[/url:1vyaqfu4]. And, perhaps, even help us make this server a reality.

We hope that some day at least one of your characters will call Lisse Linath home. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Shir'le you did it again...

Well, as soon as I upgrade from this trash can to a computer, I'm gettin' NWN2 and destroying everybody's fun on the server by harrasing them and calling you names behind your back.
:angel:
:3
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

And I'll be right behind Rooky.

With a baseball bat...
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:cwu89oy5]YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!![/color:cwu89oy5]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Elros Tasartiir
Maid
Maid

Post by Elros Tasartiir »

very NICE :D
i'll be waiting for that! ^^
Xenomega
Maid
Maid

Post by Xenomega »

Shirle and others i would really like to lend my talents to this project I got writing roleplaying coding and 3d design animaiton skills to help with.

so please contact me at xenomega at hotmail dot com.
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

I'll do my best to help out however I can, though I'm still feeling my way through the toolset
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I'm with Rooky, soon as I get a computer than can handle NWN2 I am so there...assuming our beloved Goddess is still with us by that time
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Well, about the only help I can offer is making custom items. Woo, go me! Aly'ae will likely leave Haven once the server is up and running.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Oops, I just realised the original date on this thread. I saw new replies and thought it was a new thread saying it was going ahead after all.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
LunarMynx
Maid
Maid

Server?

Post by LunarMynx »

Is this still going to happen?
I'm kinda new here and I'd love a place for my character to retreat to now and then =)

~LM
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Server?

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="LunarMynx":3emq4vxr]Is this still going to happen?
I'm kinda new here and I'd love a place for my character to retreat to now and then =)

~LM[/quote:3emq4vxr]

When our High Priestess gets an in home connection odds are good the project will proceed faster then now.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: Server?

[quote="Bhaern Quel":f6dqugi8]When our High Priestess gets an in home connection odds are good the project will proceed faster then now.[/quote:f6dqugi8]
Something like that, yeah. :p

Though I'll say it again, for this project to go ahead I'll definitely need help; particularly help with building the areas.

I'll also likely scale down the scope of the project quite a bit. I'm thinking of having only a single 'city' area for instance (instead of four) and make that more of a village. Though the area will likely be larger than first planned. Add maybe one section of forest and one section of mountains and the rest of the areas will probably be interiors. But that's still a [i:f6dqugi8]lot[/i:f6dqugi8] that needs to be built.

Oh, and yesterday I bought Mask of the Betrayer (which I haven't played yet), so I'm considering using that too... possibly.

Anyway, first I need Internet again. And I'm still hosting Mianyr, which is getting in the way a bit. But I'm definitely keen to have a server running for the Chosen.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Update...

I've, tentatively, started working on the server again.

At the moment I'm mainly working on my chat replacement script (which is supposed to be a database-driven chat system designed to look and function somewhat similar to SWG's chat system). I've got NWNX4 working as well as the NWNX4 chat plugin (meaning I've got a script running on everything that's typed and can cancel/redirect things from there). So far it's looking pretty good I think, though due to NWN2's limitations that also means all chat appears in the combat channel (which sucks, but ah well).

The biggest problem for me still remains building the actual areas, but I have finally decided to scale things down a fair bit. At the moment it's looking like one city area, one forest area and one mountain area to start with additional areas to be added later. And a lot of interior areas (I think the Moonspire tower itself is a good one-third of the server). Of course all those areas still need to be built and my talents lie a lot more with scripting.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is also giving me some headaches now and again. Like yesterday evening I spent half the time trying to fix NWN2 failing the cd check (I've got a perfectly legal copy and haven't done anything untoward... Securom just... failed to start up). And I'm finding the NWN2 script editor rather bulky and not very user-friendly (I seem to have to use the mouse way more than I'd like for example). But I soldier on. :p

My plan at the moment is to try and finish the chat script stuff first and then finish a single interior area (the main gathering room; an inn-type room in the Moonspire). With that it should be possible to run a few multiplayer tests at limited times and maybe even get a little roleplaying going. At that point I'm also hoping to find a few people willing and able to build areas in NWN2 so that I can go on to do the system scripts and all that while other people make those areas.

All in all though it's likely going to be many months before we've got something we can run continuously; before we've got something with enough features. And that's assuming that things continue at pace [i:2txdvtg7]and[/i:2txdvtg7] I can find some people able to build areas for the server.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know where things are at. I'm still dedicated to making our own roleplaying server. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Fyra Sil'Kilond
Maid
Maid

Post by Fyra Sil'Kilond »

If you need a builder ta help you make some areas for this server, I would be more than willing to help with this.

Let me know if you're interested and I can send you screen shots of some of my work.

:D
Fyra Sil''Kilond, Priestess of Eilistraee, Student of Keira Mir'lan and Councilor of the Elves of the Everondath (The Frontier NWN2)