Two More NWN2 Reviews

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Two More NWN2 Reviews

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I’ve got another duo of Neverwinter Nights 2 reviews for you.

The first is the [url=http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking ... 7:gachtg75]Neverwinter Nights 2 Review at Game Rankings[/url:gachtg75]. And it might sound like a tired song-and-dance by now, but it’s saying basically the same as the other one with being mostly positive with a few critical points. A decent read even if the ridiculously small column with text makes it a bit of a headache. If ends with this:

[quote:gachtg75][i:gachtg75]Neverwinter Nights 1[/i:gachtg75] spawned a colossal number of superb add-ons, community-developed and official, that expanded its lifespan many, many times beyond the content that came in the retail box. There's no reason to think this one will be worse off - quite the opposite, if anything. The only thing that's missing is a "dungeon master" interface for players to control and manage the play experience of others, but that's coming.

If the focus of the first Neverwinter Nights left you cold, or if the recent dearth of classic-style role-playing games is getting you down, NWN2 is the cure. It's no Baldur's Gate II, nor is it a Planescape: Torment, but the way things are going it's the closest we're likely to get this century. As to what the vast Neverwinter Nights community will find to do with the toolkit, and how the multiplayer takes off, time will tell, but even if your interest is just in vanilla RPG epics you'll be well served by NWN2. In other words, just buy it already.

[b:gachtg75]Score: 4.5/5[/b:gachtg75][/quote:gachtg75]

The next review is the [url=http://www.gamesradar.com/us/pc/game/re ... 9:gachtg75]Neverwinter Nights 2 Review at Games Radar[/url:gachtg75]. This seems to be a fairly brief review spread over several pages, seeming to focus more on displaying graphics. I also couldn’t really pick up any tone of negativity in the review, but that’s not that surprising considering the briefness and most reviews being quite positive. It concludes with the following:

[quote:gachtg75]Is [i:gachtg75]Neverwinter Nights 2[/i:gachtg75] the perfect RPG? The good and bad news is that the answer to that question hasn't actually been written yet. Like the original [i:gachtg75]Neverwinter[/i:gachtg75], we are bracing for an avalanche of user-created content that will become freely available for co-operative multiplayer adventures everywhere. [i:gachtg75]NWN2[/i:gachtg75] ships with the same incredibly powerful toolset that the game designers used to create the core game. A legion of fans is ready to port over the content they created for the original game into [i:gachtg75]NWN2[/i:gachtg75]'s new engine - and an incredible amount of grade A content will soon await.

But even for now, the amazing single player installation improves on the original game in nearly every way imaginable - without breaking anything what has gone before. Even for players who have never hurled a 20-sided die in anger, [i:gachtg75]Neverwinter Nights 2[/i:gachtg75] is not to be missed.

[b:gachtg75]Score: 9/10[/b:gachtg75][/quote:gachtg75]
I’ll see about posting more reviews as I come across them, but it might take a few days. If everything goes according to plan I’ll have little time to read reviews this weekend. :tear:

Anyway, enjoy the read. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

Too many things came out in the same time period! 360 games...the Wii, and NWN2 >.< I wish I had a job =/

I might have to wait for Christmas for this baby ^^"
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

There's no hurry. I'm sure the game will still be just as fun around Christmas. ;)

In fact, waiting a few months will increase the likelihood of there being a couple of decent community-made modules and/or servers available so you don't have to stop playing when the original campaign ends. :)

I've got a few more reviews (most of which I haven't read yet), but I forgot to email myself the links so it might take a little for me to post those. Though in general they all seem to be quite positive.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Karak
Maid
Maid

Post by Karak »

NWN2 kick ass but I almost like oblivion more...but morrowind with the drow mods still is the coolest drow game ever....maby baldurs gate is equal....
The Dark Army Will Rise Again And Lay The World Under Shadow Garboch Da''Jinn (Domedags boken 45:67)
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:hh3bj5fh]No, way, I love BG and BGII, but no compare to NWN.[/color:hh3bj5fh]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Karak
Maid
Maid

Post by Karak »

hmmm...but not compered to morrowind...have you playd morrowind with the drow mods???
The Dark Army Will Rise Again And Lay The World Under Shadow Garboch Da''Jinn (Domedags boken 45:67)
Ceistant
Maid
Maid

Post by Ceistant »

The only problem with Marrowind I had, was that after about a week of game play I just kind of got bored with it. Not to say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the game, more that the plot gets lost because of the free form world.

I found the same issue with Dagger Fall, and to a lesser degree with Arena. I loved the concept, but even back in 93' after playing Arena for about 3 weeks I started to loose track of the storyline while I was off exploring. By the time I got back on track with the core storyline my character had grown to the point it was no longer a challenge. The same issue to a lesser extent with Dagger Fall.

When Marrowind was first being talked about in the press, before release, they hailed the Design Tool that was going to come with it, so many of us at first glance thought it was to be Multyplayer. Sadly it wasn't and I think in the end that was it's core failure. Same with Oblivion.

In todays age of computer gaming if it's an RTS, FPS, or RPG and its not Multiplayer or MMO, I don't even care to buy it.

To me playing a game one of the above types of games, even one with stunning graphics and storyline, is kind of like playing AD&D (Pen & Paper) with just you just and the DM. Kind of flat and boring.

Which is why I loved NWN and am completely enjoying NWN2. Now that I've completed the Core campaign, I have a serious itch to play more, but after starting it over again with a drow character, I'm finding that to get that same level of enjoyment out of it I really need to find a group to game with.

Other than that the game is wonderful.
Lance
Maid
Maid

Post by Lance »

Morrowind's problem was that it was to...big. In BG2 you begin small and the world slowly expands, making you used to it. In Morrowind, however, you begin small and suddenly, *bam*, you have access to the entire world. The game is great but it just to,well, big.
Ceistant
Maid
Maid

Post by Ceistant »

My basic sentiment exactly.. Now if it would have been Multiplayer.. that would have been great, but as a single player game, Bigger is not always better. ... :D yep.. thats my story and I'm stick'n to it :p
Makasta
Maid
Maid

Post by Makasta »

Hi everyone! Well my gf Nedelyne and I have both been playing NWN2 and have found several issues with it. Both in game play and otherwise. Perhaps its just our copy but here are the specs of the system that runs the game
HP pavillion
AMD 64 x2 dual core processor 3800+
2 gigabytes of ram
160 gb HD
256 mb PCI express video card ATI
All newest drivers for video, bios, HD, system: You name it we have to newest drivers. Also have newest version of game too.

Game play issues
All other NPCs act as though they are on Puppet mode, making high lever fighting a death sentance.
can't buy the special items or find them ( i got a pre sell copy, which included special add ons for each class)
can't buy potions in bulk (real annoying)
Slower game play
Slow reaction times ??

Other issues
It seems as though the makers of this game made it so you HAD to have a Nvidia video card or it wouldn't work as well.
As noted above my ATI vid card shouldn't have ANY problems handling the game.
If any one can aid me, please message me and of course post response to post
Ceistant
Maid
Maid

Post by Ceistant »

I've heard a lot people saying that their ATI cards aren't performing well with the game, but I haven't had any problems. Which is a relief actually, the last ATI machine I put an ATI card in had tons of issues, but I think they where mainly manufacturing issues with that card model in general, and the drivers they were writing for them.

For me the not being able to potions (or anything for that matter) in bulk is a pain. I'm assuming there isn't a function to it, but if there is I would appreciate the info.
I only found a couple of "Set" items while I doing the core campaign, but the guide I picked up the other day shows a whole slew of them :uh-huh:
I haven't had many issues with Party members being stuck in puppet mode, but before/during/after different fights I always tended to modify those settings some. Especially with the two different encounters with Dragons and of course the Final fight with the KoS.

I think some of the reaction time stuff that I've seen is due to the artificial use of Combat Turns in an otherwise "Real Time" game.

I think for general game play, one of the more tedious issues I've seen with the AI is that if you select a target, all the Party Members no matter what their currently orientation to the target is, will always "waypoint" to the side of the target you are looking at from your current PC's perspective.. so basically the first one or two party members to get there start attacking and the rest of your part stops as if the waypoint engine couldn't find a way to the target. You have to sometimes position them on a different face of the target and once there, give them the command to attack again.

This was more of an issue when fighting things in either narrow areas, or as in the final fight, you have 10 party members you want to attack a single target.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Makasta":3ggcc2ak]can't buy the special items or find them ( i got a pre sell copy, which included special add ons for each class)[/quote:3ggcc2ak]
The "Blessed of Waukeen" merchant is in Port Llast. When you enter the area there are two merchants to the left. If you have the Blessed of Wuakeen feat one of them will have an option looking something like "[Blessed of Waukeen] Show me your special stock".

There is also a merchant in Blacklake district in Neverwinter (you go up the hill towards Castle Never, past the bard challenge thing and he's standing at the top of the hill to the right). I'm not sure if this is a special merchant, but he does have a special stock of items as well. So I'm guessing that this is the Merchant's Friend merchant (I pre-ordered the special edition, so I get them both).

Note though that to unlock the preorder one you first have to download a little program from the [url=http://www.nwn2.com:3ggcc2ak]Neverwinter Nights 2[/url:3ggcc2ak] site.

And not sure what that is with puppet mode. I'm assuming you've already gone to the AI tab and made certain they're not set in that. But if I understand Nedelyne correctly you're nearing the end of Act 2, so maybe it'll fix itself at some transition or something. :/

Also, try broadcasting the order to "Follow Me" (right-click and hold on the ground to bring up the menu). Maybe they're just stuck in "Hold Your Ground" mode. That is, if they aren't following you as they should (setting them to puppet mode wouldn't prevent them from following you, so maybe it's not puppet mode that's the problem at all).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Makasta
Maid
Maid

Post by Makasta »

THANK YOU SOOOO VERY MUCH SHIR'LE ! YOU ARE WONDERFUL AND A GENIUS!!!! ;) ;) :D :p
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

:)

I'm just glad your problems are solved.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Karak
Maid
Maid

Post by Karak »

well morrowind is big but oblivion is bigger....