NWN2 First Views

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

NWN2 First Views

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Hot on the heels of the game’s official release (in the US) yesterday a number of “first impressions” reviews have popped up. This is basically a website’s way of having an early review without having had the time to play through the entire game and try out all its aspects yet. In general they tend to be indicative of the first ten hours of gameplay or so.

First up is [url=http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/742/74291 ... l:29an0n76]IGN’s Neverwinter Nights 2 First Impressions[/url:29an0n76]. They’re fairly positive overall, though do indicate a few small issues they have with the game. Read the entire two-page article from the link above, but here’s a snippet:

[quote:29an0n76]All this said, we're having a much better time with Neverwinter Nights 2's single player mode than its predecessor's. It's a lot more involved and more strategic due to the fully controllable and equippable party members, and overall more interesting in terms of what happens. It's also more dynamic, shifting the player between different settings regularly. If you're one of those gamers looking to delve into an enjoyable single player experience on your PC, this is a good choice so far. We'll have to check out more of the game to get a better idea of how things turn out.[/quote:29an0n76]

Second up is [url=http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/neverwinter ... l:29an0n76]GameSpy’s Neverwinter Nights 2 Out of the Box[/url:29an0n76]. The tone of the article is very much the same as the IGN one, being fairly positive overall with a few annoyances and issues here and there. Again read the full two-page article at the link with a snippet to follow:

[quote:29an0n76]In summary: Neverwinter Nights 2 is looking pretty good so far. If you're a fan of this kind of RPG, then don't hesitate to check it out. There's still quite a bit left to explore before we can arrive at a final verdict (not the least of which is the slew of multiplayer options), but at this point, it's safe to say that most RPG fans won't be disappointed with the packaged campaign. Watch for our full Neverwinter Nights 2 review on GameSpy.com in the coming days.[/quote:29an0n76]

Next up is the [url=http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/6 ... m:29an0n76]Game Informer Online review[/url:29an0n76]. I’m not sure if they’re actually plan a full review, because this one seems rather brief for one and I’d call it anything but indepth. While still fairly positive overall it seems to be a little less so than the previous two (particularly in the “second opinion”). Here’s another snippet:

[quote:29an0n76]All that being said, the score reflects what comes in the box: a very entertaining, classic D&D tale that will provide dozens of hours of entertainment to RPG fans, as well as some mod tools with great potential. If the online scene takes off, though, you can expect many years of outstanding gaming out of this little package.[/quote:29an0n76]

And finally not so much a review or anything like that, there’s [url=http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwint ... 0:29an0n76]GameSpot’s Neverwinter Nights 2 Designer Diary #6 - Final Thoughts and the First Patch[/url:29an0n76]. Being the sixth designer diary it features one of the developers highlighting some of the aspects of NWN2, in this case the community-developed plugins for the toolset particularly, as well as a brief note on the first patch, as noted in the following snippet:

[quote:29an0n76]This first patch has a number of new goodies in it. First up is our initial release of the new Dungeon Master Client (DMC). The DMC is a powerful tool BioWare created in the original Neverwinter Nights that allows one or more players to act as a dungeon master, or DM. As a DM, a suite of tools are available for you to rapidly change content in a game, all while players are busy adventuring. The DMC being one of the multiplayer and persistent-world communities' most popular features, we're planning to continue to add more to it over the next couple patches, including interface refinements and even a few new features. With this patch, we've also included some new druid spells and fixed up a lot of things our community beta testers and quality-assurance folks have discovered along the way. For those of you picking up the game in the next few days, I highly recommend nabbing the patch.[/quote:29an0n76]

Alright, that’s it for the moment. I’ll post more reviews (full ones this time hopefully) when I come across them. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

Thanks au dalninil - now i only have to get my copy ;)