Baldur's Gate 3

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Larian Studios, developers of Divinity: Original Sin, have just announced that they're working on Baldur's Gate 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QLKvBPt8NE

Baldur's Gate hold a bit of a special place for me. After all, it is the game for which I first created my character Shir'le (though she was a ranger in her first incarnation). Very much enjoyed both games. And I've also much enjoyed both Divinity: Original Sin games.

And I recall reading a games magazine back at the time (yes, they had those then) which compared the original Divine Divinity favorably to Baldur's Gate, though I've never played it.

But Baldur's Gate is tonally quite different from the Divinity: Original Sin games. The latter depend a lot of Larian's brand of humor, with Baldur's Gate being far more serious (even the comedic moment had far more of a serious undercurrent instead of being humor for its own sake). Let's hope that Larian can handle the change in style.

At least I'm cautiously optimistic.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Orin
Maid
Maid

Re: Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Orin »

I am also cautiously optimistic how about this game. A friend of mine was telling me about it the other day and mentioned something about the moving away from me isometric top-down style to "something that's not been done in gaming before" which makes me a little nervous, but also excited.

I'm also a bit whiny about the 5th edition ruleset, but if the story is good I'll get over it. Just kind of bummed that we only ever got one good 3rd edition isometric game and they lost the source code for that one.

More than anything though, I just really hope they don't do some kind of online deal, or go the way of microtransactions or something.

I never really played divinity, though I think I had it for a minute. I think it's available on GOG, so maybe I'll pick it up.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Orin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:39 pm More than anything though, I just really hope they don't do some kind of online deal, or go the way of microtransactions or something.
I think that you're safe with Larian there, at least based on past behaviour.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

I saw the trailer on another forum and it does look interesting. I didn't play the original Baldur's Gate stuff though, since I only started D&D video games with NWN1.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
DebraPAb
Maid
Maid

Baldurs Gate 3

Post by DebraPAb »

I played what I considered a fair amount of time with the first one but got frustrated by the endless bandit-killing before they would let me into Baldurs Gate.