Website back more or less

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Website back more or less

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Hi all,

As you can see the website is back. more or less.

First to explain what happened.

This year I've been in the process of looking for, buying, renovating and moving into an apartment. Right in the middle of that, while in the busiest part of renovating while also packing up and moving home, my web host decided to move me over to a new system. This wouldn't have been a problem, except that with the website move they also upgraded the website software (primarily to a new version of php). Unfortunately this newer version removed some database functions (replaced them with other functions) which caused everything on the website that used the database (the forums, the translator as well as a number of other things) to stop working.

Their customer service has only gotten worse (I was also hosting a website for my parents, but that website is completely gone and is still gone with them not having really responded or done anything for weeks now) and with me in the middle of chaos I simply did not have the time to fix it (didn't help that the Conan Exiles server I'm admin on also experienced frequent crashes around the same time).

So over the last month, whenever I had a bit of time, I've been slowly fixing parts of the site back up. The translator was luckily not that complicated (since it is my own code I could easily replace the database functions) and hopefully that should all be working as it should now.

The forums however, not being my code, have been more difficult. It should have been easy (there is a setting to switch over database functionality), but I think that some of the mods/extensions did not play by the rules and meant that things still did not work. So yesterday I disabled all extensions/mods (manually through the database) and upgraded the forum software to the latest version of phpbb, going by what is as close to a clean install without losing any of the posts.

That seems to mostly have done the trick. Except that some (old) posts lead to blank pages (I think that some of the bbcodes used or such aren't handled properly by the software without the mods for it and thus it crashes php without it giving proper error messages for me to look into because my web host is the worst) and a lot of the (old) post that do work have broken bbcodes in them since the new version of phpbb changed how the bbcode engine works.

I've tried to set something off that, over time, is supposed to slowly fix thing. but I have no idea if that actually does anything and, if it does, whether it'll work.

New posts, at least, should all be fine from what I can tell since those all use the new bbcode engine.

I am also not that likely to install any more mods back in since they give me more headaches than that they help.

With how bad my web host has been I am looking into moving to another one so unless they suddenly come through there's likely to be another disruption in the future (urls and everything should stay the same assuming everything goes alright with that).

In short, it was just everything happening at once and it being too much for me to deal with all at once that caused the site to have been down as long as it was. That was never my intention, but it could not be helped.

Anyway, things are back again now, sort of.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Website back more or less

Post by Bhaern Quel »

At least we are back.

I do hope that things will improve.

Thank you for all your work.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

As always, I really appreciate your effort, Shir'le. Thank you once more.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

You've done a lot already. Just wow. Thanks so much for all your effort and work despite how busy you were. I did wonder what happened, and I'm grateful to know the story, and so glad this is back up. :)
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Interestingly enough this thread now seems to work again? Even though I made no changes?

<is puzzled>

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Older pages seem to have started working too.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

I leave for a couple of years, and everything goes to heck, lol. Glad to see this place is still here, I've missed it.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Aylstra

Welcome back. You have been missed.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Thank you. I have missed this community as well. Though it appears to have grown a bit smaller in my absence.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Welcome back Aylstra. :)

And yes we are still here. And yes, we've grown quite a bit smaller. Probably in no small part because I'm having a hard time to bring up the energy to keep fixing things. But we are still here.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee