NWN2: Deity selection is in!

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

NWN2: Deity selection is in!

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Remember how in NWN you had to type the name of the deity you follow by hand? Remember the frustration with getting “Eilistraee” right (you wouldn’t believe how many variations I’ve seen). Well, you won’t need to anymore in NWN2:

[quote=" J.E. Sawyer ":a2aq8lj4]Okay, it's not actually in the game, but Anthony's putting it in the game [i:a2aq8lj4]this weekend[/i:a2aq8lj4] to replace the "type your own deity" field.

During character creation, any class of character has to select a deity. The list of deities that appears is restricted by race/subrace, alignment, base divine spellcasting classes, and gender. The strings are just strings, not IDs. They aren't relevant after character creation unless you use the GetDeity() function to do a string compare. But the important thing is that it allows people (like us, for instance) to create lists of deities and restrict them appropriately.

PLAYAZ: What this means for you is that the OC will handle deity selection pretty close to official 3.5 FR rules. Builders can use this same list, unmodified, to use it more heavily than we do in our OC. If you're not a modder/builder, the stuff that follows may not interest you.

MODDERS/BUILDERS: You can do crazy stuff with it.

Here's how it works: there is a .2da... let's call it deities.2da(?). The first two columns of the .2da are the deity's first and last name. This allows you to separate your Larethians from your Corellons when the strings are read in (white space counts as the end of an entry). Deities without last names can have **** to result in no second string being shown. [i:a2aq8lj4]Note: this is not a string ref, just a string.[/i:a2aq8lj4]

The third column is "Removed". If a 0 appears here, the deity is valid to appear during chargen. If a 1 appears, the deity is hidden. If you do not like my list of 105 Forgotten Realms deities (including None and Ao), mark all of these to 1 and create new entries for Takhisis and Paladine and Farmer Bob.

The third column is for DescID and the fourth is for IconID. We're not using these in our OC/chargen, but the columns are there for you to manipulate and call upon. "In" "theory" you could modify our chargen process to show deity descriptions and a cool icon.

The fifth column is EveryRace. If this is marked to 1, any playable race can pick this deity assuming they meet other requirements in the list. If it's marked to 0, the next nine columns are used for individual subrace inclusions. These are marked Subrace1 to Subrace9. Set subrace IDs here and those subraces can worship the deity. Don't worry, even humans have a subrace (it's human!). So if you want all elves but drow to worship your world's super elf deity, just enter the other elf subraces and maybe the half-elf subrace here. If you want only lightfoot halfings and moon elves and mind flayers to worship a weird god, put those in. You've got nine entries, so most cases should be covered.

The next section is... tricky. It's for base divine spellcasters: paladin, cleric, druid, ranger. Each class gets a column. 0 = no, this class can't choose this deity under any circumstances. 1 = yes, this class can choose this deity if other circumstances are met. 2 = yes, this class can choose this deity and ignore subsequent alignment restrictions (this is really just used for paladins of Sune 8) ).

Nine columns follow for alignments. Each column contains a number. 0 = no one of this alignment may choose this deity. 1 = non-divine spellcasters (laity) may choose this deity. 2 = non-divine spellcasters may choose this deity [i:a2aq8lj4]and[/i:a2aq8lj4] any divine spellcaster with a 1 in their respective column may also select this deity. Wheeee-heeeee!

The next two columns are for male and female restrictions. OTHER/BOTH always get free rides, so to speak. 0 = this gender can't follow this deity at all. 1 = laity of this gender can follow the deity. 2 = laity and divine spellcasters that qualify can follow the deity.

Make sense?[/quote:a2aq8lj4]
Yes, makes perfect sense Josh. And I, for one, absolutely love it. :)

There are a few more posts in [url=http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... 5:a2aq8lj4]this thread[/url:a2aq8lj4] explaining things like why the Chult, Mulhorandi, etc pantheons won’t be included for the OC (though that’s easy enough to change as you can see above).

Thanks Josh for letting us know, and thanks Anthony for going through the effort of implementing this for us in your “spare time”. You guys really go above and beyond.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:38r896p4]Damn, there go Eilistraeen monks, right out the window. Guess I'll have to change classes.[/color:38r896p4]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

To what? Eilistraeen jester? :D
:3
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

I am guessing my girl can't be a cleric/druid following Eili, then? That is not very fair :P

Unless I am reading it totally wrong, that is.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Shando":2bng4gsi]I am guessing my girl can't be a cleric/druid following Eili, then? That is not very fair :P

Unless I am reading it totally wrong, that is.[/quote:2bng4gsi]
Technically speaking for druids to get spells they need to follow a nature deity. The sources have a, fairly short, list of which deities that includes and Eilistraee isn't one of them.

Of course we can edit the data to change all that. I'm not sure if (or how) I'm going to do that... am at least considering allowing LG alignment and opening Eilistraee up to more races (they've probably restricted it to drow only).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

If they did, they must have had i good reason for it. Or they didn't want to read about every diety they got into the game.
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":3oc1snba][quote="Shando":3oc1snba]I am guessing my girl can't be a cleric/druid following Eili, then? That is not very fair :P

Unless I am reading it totally wrong, that is.[/quote:3oc1snba]
Technically speaking for druids to get spells they need to follow a nature deity. The sources have a, fairly short, list of which deities that includes and Eilistraee isn't one of them.

Of course we can edit the data to change all that. I'm not sure if (or how) I'm going to do that... am at least considering allowing LG alignment and opening Eilistraee up to more races (they've probably restricted it to drow only).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:3oc1snba]

That would be really awesome! But sadly, I cannot assist you in this feat...sorry about that.