At No Mutants Allowed you can see the collected details from the PC Gamer article and from the PSM3 article. To give some highlights:
- There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
- The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion (slavers from the east) vs. New Vegas residents.
- You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one.
- There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS - specifically a move for a golf club called "Fore" which seems to be a groin shot.
- The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.
- Skills have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a conversation about explosives where appropriate.
- There is a "reputation system" (in addition to karma), in which all three factions (NCR, Ceasar's Legion and the locals) will either see you as good or bad toward them individually.
- Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
- New Vegas doesn't tell a single-player story, but weaves decision into the gameworld and gives you greater power to influence things than Fallout 3 did.
Josh Sawyer wrote:This is how it works. Each skill-based dialogue option has two different texts: one for high skill (which will result in success) and one for low skill (which will result in failure). If you do not meet the required threshold, you see the latter.
The second link has a bit more, including this about the hardcore mode:
Josh Sawyer wrote:It's true that a lot of people have modded in those features, but a lot of the things in Hardcore mode are also things that I personally wanted to play the game with. I realize not everyone does, but it's the only way I play it.
At the moment you can also find scans of the PSM3 article online; no idea how long they'll stay up:
And that's it for now.
[link] to PC Gamer details at No Mutants Allowed.
[link] to PSM3 details at No Mutants Allowed.
[link] to Josh's post #1 at No Mutants Allowed.
[link] to Josh's post #2 at No Mutants Allowed.
[link] to scans of PSM3 article at All Games Beta.