No D&D In Prison

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

No D&D In Prison

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

For a brief reprieve of the continual flood of Mass Effect 2 news (don't worry, should have more of that today as well) here's something D&D-related.

It seems that prisoners (in Wisconsin) are no longer allowed to play D&D on the grounds that they promote "fantasy role playing, competitive hostility, violence, addictive escape behaviors, and possible gambling". Here's the story [url=http://kotaku.com/5457820/you-cant-play ... e:2n9lksbj]as Kotaku reports it[/url:2n9lksbj]:

[quote:2n9lksbj]Kevin T. Singer is currently serving a life sentence for murdering his sister's boyfriend. He's also challenging the prison's rights to take away his Dungeons & Dragons.

Incarcerated at the Waupun Correctional Institution in Wisconsin in 2002, Singer had for two years been not only playing D&D with his cellmates, but had in his possession several books on the subject, and had even written his own 96-page scenario.

In 2004, however, the prison banned the game after an anonymous inmate complained that Singer and his friends were forming a "gang" around the game.

His game and reference materials were then confiscated by prison guards, on the grounds that they promoted "fantasy role playing, competitive hostility, violence, addictive escape behaviors, and possible gambling".

Singer appealed the prison's decision, but earlier this week 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected his pleas, on the grounds that "punishment is a fundamental aspect of imprisonment".[/quote:2n9lksbj]
At least they'll be spared 4E. ;)

[[url=http://kotaku.com/5457820/you-cant-play ... e:2n9lksbj]link[/url:2n9lksbj]] to news article at Kotaku.
[[url=http://www.insidebayarea.com/weird-news ... 9:2n9lksbj]link[/url:2n9lksbj]] to original story at InsideBayArea.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well, I'd say "either 4th ed D&D or no D&D at all". Now that's punishment.
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

You're a sick, twisted man, Argoth.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I'm a drow, did you expect any less of me? I know, the Goddess, but that guy deserves punishment. He isn't in jail without purpose, obviously.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

good or bad drow, we're still drow, not just dark colored elves...;)

(saw an article about how drow lost something after they started writting the drizzt books; like people lost fear of them and such... but they were drow- drizzt still loves battle, Liriel has a temper, and Quilue holds a grudge was the examples)
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

Aint the usual sterotype of D&D players usuallly nerds & geeks and those simular? (where did that sterotype come from anyway?)

so why are they worried bout a game?
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

[quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":38sy5zja]Aint the usual sterotype of D&D players usuallly nerds & geeks and those simular? (where did that sterotype come from anyway?)

so why are they worried bout a game?[/quote:38sy5zja]Completely accurate basis? >.>

It's only more recently that D&D was something more widely known. Time was, you wouldn't have a single member of an AD&D club that wasn't a nerd/geek of some kind. . .
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":2j9wxo7q]Aint the usual sterotype of D&D players usuallly nerds & geeks and those simular? (where did that sterotype come from anyway?)

so why are they worried bout a game?[/quote:2j9wxo7q]

There was years ago a movement that protrayed D&D as Satanist. Christian activists tried to get the game banned, they hung most of their case on the game having Demons and Devils. Further they found a poster board player that had mental issues and committed a few crimes. An objective view of the situation was and is that some people with mental problems also play D&D. The anti D&D crowd claimed D&D caused people to have metal problems and/or to do Evil things.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3ac790f2][quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":3ac790f2]Aint the usual sterotype of D&D players usuallly nerds & geeks and those simular? (where did that sterotype come from anyway?)

so why are they worried bout a game?[/quote:3ac790f2]

There was years ago a movement that protrayed D&D as Satanist. Christian activists tried to get the game banned, they hung most of their case on the game having Demons and Devils. Further they found a poster board player that had mental issues and committed a few crimes. An objective view of the situation was and is that some people with mental problems also play D&D. The anti D&D crowd claimed D&D caused people to have metal problems and/or to do Evil things.[/quote:3ac790f2]

that i never understood. many christian writers write fantasy (Tolkien, Lewis, for example). I follow the Creator who revealed himself in the TaNaKH and B'rit Chadashah, but some christian people go to the extreme with this stuff. our RPG play to hang out and have fun playing a character they can never be. who didnt play such games as kids?, tho some of us never stopped...lol...
if D&D is wrong then, Lewis & Tolkien would be too. i think the key is being able to separate real from fantasy... yeah, some people go to far with things and some who play may be any belief. one can become obsessed and lose themselfs in the game. but they got other problems to deal with then also.
but for me, its fun to be someone else and enter another world thru my minds. to be creative, use our Creator given imaginations and have fellowship with other people.

I found from our group forum a friends personal stance on it:
"My thoughts- (TACo)
Well I was raised to think that DND was evil, it was the devil, it is a gateway to the occult...etc. While in the military, away from my family, I was exposed to some gamers. Many who were Christian. I have to say that I can see both sides of this argument. For people who are weak Christians... this can be something easy that will occupy their time, their lives, their minds. It can cause a brother to stumble. It can be overly emphasized by someone and we may see them get upset easily if they are too involved. I too get upset somewhat when I work hard on something and it gets destroyed rather quickly. I often chose to play characters that would be most likely to survive. Characters that are contemplative, intelligent, and often focuse more on aquiring knowledge then wealth. Or I play rogues... who though often exposed to more danger (the first to the traps, the ones who often get accused of stealing from the party... are more then likely the ones with the highest dexterity to tumble out of a situation, fireball... etc. But I have lost some Characters that I did care for.... because again. I put time into making them. One of my first Characters I played was a human... who got hit twice by a wight... and died of old age.... in less than 2 minutes... I can look back and laugh some... but at the time... I was upset. I have seen recently how people can be very upset about loosing a character.. about as upset as say... somewho whose football team just lost to another team. Not only do they have to face the fact that they lost but all the comments they had said early to their friends about how their team was going to smash the other team... are now... words that can be used against them. So they may avoid their friends until the next game... or something bigger distracts from that fact.
I have to say.. If you cannot handle DND... then do not play it. If you think it is evil.. So is monopoly, the Game of life, hooks and ladders, cards, any board game that involves dice and miniature characters, trivia persuit.... the list goes on and on. Yes it is true that these things do take up our time that could be invested more wisely into bible study, and evangelizing the world. It also can be used as a tool to reach unreached gamers. If you actually try to reach them... and not just play with them.
You will have to decide on your own about what you will do. AS for me... I still will play."

[b:3ac790f2]I hope i didnt over step any bounds by saying this or accidentally offend anyone, if so i will delete this.[/b:3ac790f2]
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

No reason for deletion, you stated why you know and believe. There is no problem with that.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Bhaern Quel":1lwvjggb]No reason for deletion, you stated why you know and believe. There is no problem with that.[/quote:1lwvjggb]

i know the rules was to keep this as fantasy and real religions out, so thats why i mentioned that...but ok, thanks
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar":1yyrgfuk][quote="Bhaern Quel":1yyrgfuk]No reason for deletion, you stated why you know and believe. There is no problem with that.[/quote:1yyrgfuk]

i know the rules was to keep this as fantasy and real religions out, so thats why i mentioned that...but ok, thanks[/quote:1yyrgfuk]

Err that only applies to the Theology subsection in where Real Religion is not to be discussed, just fantasy ones (FR in general, with most concerning the Dark Maiden). In General Discussion and so far discussion of news, there has been no restriction for typing what you believe.
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Dungeons and Dragons: [i:2fmy7isq]Satan's game[/i:2fmy7isq]. Your children, like it or not are attracted in their weaker years to the [i:2fmy7isq]occult[/i:2fmy7isq], and a game like D&D fuels their imagination, makes them feel special, while drawing them deeper and [i:2fmy7isq]deeper [/i:2fmy7isq]into the bowels of [i:2fmy7isq][b:2fmy7isq]EL DIABLO![/b:2fmy7isq][/i:2fmy7isq]

*ahem* >.>
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well that helped a lot Ra'Sona, thanks :)

At any rate, let's not forget that Tolkien and Lewis wrote their fantasy as an allegory to Christianity. They spread their faith THROUGH fantasy. It was a matter of promoting some traits like loyalty, friendship, love that reaches through all sorts of bounds and is unstoppable. Same thing goes for Lewis. The Narnia chronicles are, again, a way of promoting certain ideas, specially among young people becoming adults.

D&D the game of Satan? That's a first. Everything is for people and should be used wisely. Stupid people were, are and always will be. If they don't accept arguments, then there's no point in talking to them. Never get involved into discussion with an idiot, first he'll take you down to his level and then finish you off with years of experience.
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

But. . . but I. . .
>//////////<

[youtube:llky38xk]XHdXG2gV01k[/youtube:llky38xk]