Mass Effect 2 - Some Hand-On Experiences

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Mass Effect 2 - Some Hand-On Experiences

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

For a change of pace from Dragon Age for a bit, there's also a couple of Mass Effect 2 articles to report.

First is an "[url=http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/masseffec ... s:2i1ovdeb]Updated Hand-On[/url:2i1ovdeb]" article at GameSpot. Here's an excerpt:

[quote:2i1ovdeb]Omega--which was first glimpsed in the GamesCom trailer released a few weeks ago--is a gigantic space station and seedy den of scum and villainy that is reminiscent of the dingier parts of the Citadel in the first game. The hands-off section of the demo began with Shepard and his crew--who in this scenario were Krell assassin Thane and Krogan fighter Grunt--standing outside the nightclub AfterLife. It was a huge, triangular-shaped building adorned with large video screens displaying bright arcs of fire, and inside, it had a circular layout with a central dance floor similar to Chora's Den in the original (except much, much larger). Here, we were treated to Mass Effect 2's more cinematic approach to story, with Shepard engaging in some not-so-friendly banter with a character named Aria T'Loak, a mysterious female who is apparently the real power behind Omega. The conversation between the two featured some dramatic camera angles that helped amp up the intrigue, focusing on Shepard and Aria's faces and showcasing a good deal of nuance visible in the character models. The voice acting was also excellent and bodes well for another involving storyline in Mass Effect 2.[/quote:2i1ovdeb]
IGN also had some hand-on experience, which they talk about some in their article "[url=http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/103/10335 ... l:2i1ovdeb]New Details Revealed[/url:2i1ovdeb]". Here's an excerpt:

[quote:2i1ovdeb]Beginning "soon after" the events in Mass Effect, Commander Shepard is scouring the galaxy looking to recruit "up to a dozen of the galaxy's most dangerous operatives" as a new threat begins to wipe human colonies from existence. In the new level on show, we got to experience combat alongside two of these operatives. This included Grunt from the burly Krogan race who is certainly a handy fighter to have on your side. "Grunt is good to fight alongside. You would have seen the Krogan Rush where he just runs guys over - you could make Wrex do it in the first game but Grunt will do it spontaneously which is interesting. It is different than working with guys that have more traditional powers as Grunt has a much bigger chance of surprising you."

And surprise you he does. Frequently during combat when confronted with close encounters, Grunt would break into a run and wreck havoc. This new level was selected for the very purpose of showing off this in-your-face combat. "We chose this level to show the range in what the player can do. We had already shown in our PAX demo the long range combat, and now we wanted to reveal something that was a lot more intimate. We can show off the melee combat, and the shotgun and the ammo types."[/quote:2i1ovdeb]
Ok, so it's not nearly as much as I reported for their fantasy game (though I'm sure it'll pick up greatly nearer to Mass Effect 2's release), but at least it's a bit of a change of pace. :)

[[url=http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/masseffec ... s:2i1ovdeb]link[/url:2i1ovdeb]] to "Updated Hands-On" article at GameSpot.
[[url=http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/103/10335 ... l:2i1ovdeb]link[/url:2i1ovdeb]] to "New Details Revealed" article at IGN.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee