DeathSpank Preview at Eurogamer

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

DeathSpank Preview at Eurogamer

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

EuroGamer has [url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/death ... 1:2i7jv0hz]a preview for DeathSpank[/url:2i7jv0hz], the comedy action-rpg/adventure hybrid by Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert. The article describes Ron demonstrating the game to them and talking a bit about it, including how the idea came to be. Here's an excerpt:

[quote:2i7jv0hz]It started with a Flash comic strip on Gilbert's website, Grumpy Gamer. "Clayton Kauzlaric, who I worked with on Total Annihilation, and I wanted an avenue for making fun of the games business, and the strip was perfect," he recalls. "For one episode, we needed this videogame character. We wanted him to be as stupid as possible, so we just called him DeathSpank. He appeared in a bunch of the strips, but the more I started to think about him, the more he became an interesting character to me, and his world just started to grow. Eventually, I did a little game design around him, and I kind of liked it."

That was back in 2004. Several years of pitching DeathSpank to publishers ensued; it doesn't sound like it was a great deal of fun. "Publishers say they want funny games, but then you pitch them one and they get scared," sighs Gilbert. "They say they want stuff that's new and original, but they just want stuff that's like everything else." Eventually Gilbert ran into the team at Hothead (makers of Penny Arcade Adventures) and the project clicked. That wasn't the only thing that clicked, by the looks of it: Gilbert's now Hothead's creative director.[/quote:2i7jv0hz]
Sounds like it could be a fun game, though still no news as to what platforms they'll release it on.

[[url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/death ... 1:2i7jv0hz]link[/url:2i7jv0hz]] to preview at EuroGamer.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee