Neverwinter Nights MMO Rumored

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Neverwinter Nights MMO Rumored

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

No news for ages, and then suddenly two separate bits of news on unrelated D&D-based MMOs (the other being that [url=viewtopic.php?t=1371:2lk8qnnd]DDO is going free to play[/url:2lk8qnnd]).

[url=http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scen ... l:2lk8qnnd]Variety[/url:2lk8qnnd] (and [url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... s:2lk8qnnd]The Escapist[/url:2lk8qnnd]) reports that Cryptic Studios, recently purchased by Atari and working on Champions Online and Star Trek Online, has a third project in the works for one of Atari's older titles and that this third projects is a Neverwinter Nights MMO:

[quote="Variety":2lk8qnnd]
Sources tell us that the developer is working on a massively multiplayer online (MMO) version of “Neverwinter Nights” with an eyed 2011 release.[/quote:2lk8qnnd]
Of course Atari is still having financial difficulty and the MMO space is a difficult market to thrive in, so it's a big risk for them to do this.

Another question on my mind is exactly what they mean with "MMO". One of the strengths, and the main success, of Neverwinter Nights was that people could create their own worlds and act as DM for groups of adventurers to tell stories and roleplay or do combat or whatever. If they're making this an MMO in the traditional sense then it needs to offer some pretty damn impressive features to make up for the fact that there's only one world that people jsut have to accept.

If, on the other hand, this becomes more of a "create your own PW" product, possibly with the world you can created hosted by the developers but that's not needed, then this could be very, very successful. Depending on how they do that.

But let's not forget that at the moment it's nothing more than a rumor and since we don't know anything at all there's little use (beyond entertainment perhaps) in speculating.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Hmm...interesting news but also I'm wary about this.

My suspicions say that what they are really trying to do is cash in on the fan loyalty of NWN and create a rival to WoW.

I also suspect that any new version of NWN will be 4E and if WotC have anything to say about usage of the D&D material, then it's a dead certainty that they will insist that any new game reflect their current edition.

I also think that it will be a subscriber based game relying on standard grind quests much like WoW. The strength of NWN is the fact that you can play online for free in any type of server/game style that you like. Want simple hack n'slash game play? Sure that out there or want a persistant world with heavy role play and less emphasis on combat and leveling then there are servers out there as well. That is the beauty about NWN plus the fact there is still quite a large and active community out there making modules, mods, and running servers which are all free.

As an aside, I think that perhaps we should look at creating a NWN [original edition] Eilistraeen server. The game is dirt cheap to buy nowadays and once patched up is so easy to play. It would be fun too I think. The server could be password protected thus stopping dickheads logging on and griefing players or being a complete nuisiance.

After October, I will be able to help out with such a project as I will be retiring from full time work so give it some thought Shir'le.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

i agree with Talwynthey may just be useing NWN as a new cash cow and that it will probobley will relfect the currnt 4th edition of d&d wihch means that our options(RP or otherwise) will be severly limitid if not nonexistint :'(
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

You've both a pretty good point. But seeing as Atari is on a limited budget they'll probably just use the same ruleset of D&D (3.0/3.5) to save some cash. Re-programming everything to set up to 4E'll be too much of a pain, and if WoTC do want a 4E MMO they'll play around with D&D online.

If they start medling with NWN it will end very bad and loose any fanbase they have left.
Besides, most MMO's are already hack'n'slash...wait, isn't D&D already pretty much hack'n'slash with a plot in between?

In any case, it doesn't make much sense for them to make a NWN MMO, seeing as NWN is made as Single/Multy-player.
But like Shirl'le said, they really have no budget to do an MMO at the moment.

This message will self-destruct.
:3
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

well rookys right theres always that hope that thely a.) be too lazy to rewok the system to (ICK!!!!) 4th ed or b.) not have enougth to implemnt the new system. not to metion as rooky also said theres the chance of isolating there few remaining fans(not that thats stopeed wizerds before... >:(

now if youll excuse me...*dives for cover*
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

WotC would enforce their IP/copywrite over D&D and that would mean that any new product [CRPG or MMO] would have to reflect their current edition which is 4E.

Since 4E is essentially D&D lite, then I doubt there would be much of an issue in implimenting the rule set for a CRPG or MMO.

Personally I'd like to see a Baldurs Gate style of MMO D&D world using 2nEd rules. I never liked 3 or 3.5, as it made a mockery of the class system by allowing say a paladin to multi-class. This meant that players could essentially build uber characters by exploiting the system - take a few levels of theif in order to get the theif feats like sneak attack etc, and maybe a few levels of cleric to gain some useful spells. Made the game far too easy and exploitable IMO.

Heh, if I won a Powerball lottery, I'd by a licence from WotC for 2ndEd D&D and develop a decent D&D CRPG along the lines of NWN and make it free to play online etc.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I'm very sceptical to pretty much everything they offer at the moment.