Website Server Move Imminent

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Website Server Move Imminent

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Months ago I contacted my site host about whether they could upgrade the site to PHP5 (which I need to run the latest version of MediaWiki). I asked several times and they didn't respond. Then last week when I gave it a final try (threatening to go somewhere else if they didn't respond) they finally replied.

They can upgrade the site to PHP5, but they'll have to move the site to another server machine.

I've already made a backup of the entire site, and will continue to make backups of the database. And hopefully no backup will be needed, but of course it's possible that something goes wrong and posts (after my last backup) are lost. So I strongly suggest that people keep their own local copies of important posts you make (like for roleplaying threads) and such.

This also means that there is likely to be disruption to the service of the site during the move. So when you try to access the site and it gives some strange errors or such then it's possible that it's because of the move.

And it's possible that with the change from PHP4 to PHP5 some things might break (as I use php for just about everything). Hopefully not, as PHP5 should be fully backwards compatible with PHP4, but the way these things go there might be problems anyway that I'll then have to fix.

Of course, I'll keep you updated on everything, including dates and times as soon as I know them myself.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Dragonessa
Maid
Maid

Post by Dragonessa »

Good luck with the move! :downloads the dictionary in case it's offline at a crucial moment: :angel: