Eilistraee LIVES!

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Eilistraee LIVES!

Post by Irennan »

Yes, Eilistraee is officially alive in 5e, after the Sundering and her followers are aware of her return, having seen and met her manifestations and even avatars. In Ed Greenwood's upcoming novel -Spellstorm- it is also revealed that Eilistraee is one of the deities with whom the returned Mystra is sharing the Weave. Much of her status remains unknown (we don't know if she has dropped to demipower/quasi-power from lesser power), it is even possible that she has never died at all, and perhaps survived to the events in LP (since a deity can only be killed on her home plane, and since Eilistraee basically only lost an Avatar, albeit apparently one to which she had tied a lot of her essence), for example by tying part of her power to a creature and hiding (pretty much like Mysra did), but details on the whole matter are to be revealed in the fullest of time.

For now, we can rejoyce that she (and Vhaeraun too!) are alive once more (and that Ed Greenwood is trying to give us more of the Dark Dancer through his novels, even if it is just tidbits of new lore, and that we might know some more about her starting from his next novel after Spellstorm) :D :

[quote:ijzw6tqi]Hi again, all. Irennan, heeeere's Ed:

Communications being what they are in the Realms, with caravans bringing news and gossip and inevitable distortions as things get told and retold, most mortals can't be certain of much; they always have to trust (or not trust) retellings from afar.
However, the word spreading about the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun comes from excited reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting MANIFESTATIONS and AVATARS of the deities; i.e. yes, Vhaeraun and Eilistraee are both "back."
Now, as to whether they'll appear face to face with a given mortal in a given location in the Realms, that's a far different matter. The gods in general seem more "distant" post-Sundering, more "heard from" than "personally seen."

And there you have it.
The Word of Ed, so to speak.
love,
THO[/quote:ijzw6tqi]

[url:ijzw6tqi]http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?T ... =13#468322[/url:ijzw6tqi]
Last edited by Irennan on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Re: Eilistraee LIVES!

Post by Shae »

Yeah, I followed the events on Candlekeep too. ^^;; It's good news, although I also don't know what to feel about it. Rather than happy, I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. =_=;; I know with how apparently effed up everything is at the company we should be glad to get even this much though.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Ed's word is canon (even WotC confirmed it, even publicly at various GenCon panels), so this is official, and we can stay reassured that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun live. I see your point and I too want to know more, but Ed has told us that he will try to give us that ''more'' through bits of lore in his novels -just like he did with Spellstorm and is planning to do with the next one-, so there's reason to be hopeful.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

WotC has just put online a writeup for the region that will be used for their upcoming storyline (Rage of Demons): http://dndadventurersleague.org/state-of-hillsfar/

The article mentions a shrine of Eilistraee currently active. Given that they also say that they will put online some backgrounds for characters from the region, and that the Rage of Demons story also relates to the drow, it is quite possible that we will see some lore (and rules options, for those who use 5e) on the returned Eilistraee.

Either way, it is nice to see someone at WotC (someone that is not Ed going out of his way to give Eilistraee some love) recognizing that Eilistraee is not a thing of the past.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

That is great to hear. Thanks for sharing the news, Irennan. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

You're very welcome. On a side note, the shrine of Eilistraee is the one that appears in Condemnation. The Hillsfar writeup is for the Adventurer's League campaign, so ( excluding the history sections) it refers to the current era, meaning that the Eilistraeens are still in Cormanthor and that the shrine has seen a resurgence of its activities with Eilistraee being back.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

So, it looks like a pseudo-FRCS has been announced: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag

We'll get some updated lore on what happened after the Sundering and a description of and update on some deities in the current era. I think that Eilistraee will get some love with this book. Since its goal is also to offer new FR-specific character options and backgrounds, and since drow are a PHB playable race, Eilistraee is a very good candidate for a drow adventurer deity.

Lets hope that our Lady will get some well-deserved spotlight, at long last.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

We will see; would definitely be good. Though I must say that I'm also getting really tired of the Sword Coast. You'd think that was the only place that existed in the whole of the Forgotten Realms.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I am too, WotC is marketing the Sword Coast above all else because they want to have tie-ins with their VGs. On the other hand, the Sword Coast could have a lot of Eilistraeen activity, with the Promenade and Ardeep, so it offers hooks for more info on Eilistraee.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

That is true, so let's keep our fingers crossed. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

In an interview with one of the authors of the book (which I can't link, as it is included in a D&D-news app), it is said that the book will offer a ''tremendous wealth'' of deities and information on Realms-specific lore/aspects of each race of the 5e PHB (which include drow). This sounds like a good thing, as it probably means that informations on Eilistraee will be included in the book.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

That's great news; might even have to get that book myself once it's out. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

One of the authors is a Candlekeep poster. Once the book is out, I'll ask him whether or not EIlistraee is in the book, and I'll let you know. I can't ask now, because of NDAs.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Thanks Irennan. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I've tried e-mailing the author in charge of the book, asking about Eilistraee, and, to my pleasant surprise, he has answered.

Eilistraee *will* be in the ''Sword Coast Adventurer's guide''. I don't know if the book will contain only basic info about her and her being alive post-Sundering, or more, but with these news I'm looking forward to the release date.

Who knows, perhaps the lore about Eilistraee becoming archfey and not dying at all, will briefly come up. Brian James has recently answered a thread over CK, asking what became of Eilistraee and her followers during the Sundering, saying that Eilistraee endured after LP and during the Spellplague era as an archfey, despite that not being canon. That would really be cool, if it became official (with Eilistraee gaining her divinity back with the Sundering)...