Eilistraee LIVES!

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Re: Eilistraee LIVES!

Post by Irennan »

It is indeed. And, although some passages have been edited out of the book, Ed has said that he is by no means done with Eilistraee yet, and that more is coming (I guess in the books and stories that he will publish through WotC's new site: http://www.dmsguild.com/ Since it seems that WotC is done with publishing FR novels and sourcebooks, except their adventures).
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Ok, the book is out, and the news (which is just a few passages scattered in the book, btw) are basically those that I've already provided. To summarize: Eilistraee has personally appeared next to the Walls of Waterdeep, seen by many; a lot of her followers are traveling to Waterdeep, and are trying to found a forest-temple there. The Eilistraeeans weren't received with hostility (I guess that it's due to Eilistraee personally appearing, and to the cosmopolitan nature of Waterdeep), OTOH some festhalls are even putting up shows just for them (which is rather telling of their number), and they have gained some support: at least Remallia Haventree (moon elf noble, influent Harper) has chosen to support their effort.

I wonder what was edited out. That said, I'll be searching Ed's future works for more, given what he has said, and will update this thread when I find more. I'm certainly eager to see where this temple affair is going.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Thanks Irennan. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

It's my pleasure :)
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad to see Greenwood's added a bit more on the specifics of at least some of the Eilistraeens' status, after no real official "word" for a long while, though I confess that I'm rather surprised Eilistraee herself would just suddenly appear in a major city like Waterdeep in front of a crowd. (Granted I don't have access to the relevant passages so IDK about the actual circumstances about it, that's just the impression I'm getting from your summary.) Greenwood did say she was a bard, so I can't even say it seems OOC or anything. I suppose it just seems quite an abruptly public move for a goddess who until now we've only seen appearing seemingly rather privately, more or less, to her own followers individually or otherwise in very small numbers (though then again it's not like her Moonshards are likely to be big, anyway). Agreed, it should be interesting to see where this goes, at least.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Shae":sx0jzk1t]Thanks for the update.

I'm glad to see Greenwood's added a bit more on the specifics of at least some of the Eilistraeens' status, after no real official "word" for a long while, though I confess that I'm rather surprised Eilistraee herself would just suddenly appear in a major city like Waterdeep in front of a crowd. (Granted I don't have access to the relevant passages so IDK about the actual circumstances about it, that's just the impression I'm getting from your summary.) Greenwood did say she was a bard, so I can't even say it seems OOC or anything. I suppose it just seems quite an abruptly public move for a goddess who until now we've only seen appearing seemingly rather privately, more or less, to her own followers individually or otherwise in very small numbers (though then again it's not like her Moonshards are likely to be big, anyway). Agreed, it should be interesting to see where this goes, at least.[/quote:sx0jzk1t]

There isn't a scene where Eilistraee appears in front of a crowd (although it is possible that there was one, and it was edited out), but it is explicitly said that Eilistraee has personally (recently) appeared dancing in the moonlight just under the walls of Waterdeep, up the road to Amphail (with the consequences that I've already described), w/o any specific motivation that led her to manifest. It is also said that she has recently been seen dancing, and speaking to mortals, multiple times, along the Sword Coast. It fits what Ed told us about her the last year, and, while she is indeed subtle, that's in the sense that she doesn't want to influence/force choices (and does her best not to), but she has always been known to directly help her people, and even to manifest in person (usually seen from afar, but sometimes even joining dances, leaping amidst the flames of bonfires, or visiting travelers by night, cloaked). There are also other notorious cases of personal manifestations (like when she appeared to talked to Sharlario and Cornaith Moonflower in ''Evermeet'', or when she appeared to Qilué and her friends). Eilistraee definitely isn't a distant deity--she can't be, given her bond with the drow, and her goal.

Besides, this situation is a difficult one. She needs to let her return be known, and has chosen to personally appear to her people to do that. This particular situation seems a bit similar to the one that led to the creation of the Promenade: Eilistraee dances near Waterdeep, drow interpret it as a message from her, and decide to found a temple there. Which makes a lot of sense: a temple in a city like Waterdeep could lead to a renaissance for the faith and its goals. It could grant more visibility to the Eilistraeeans (even attract more people to faith, and its life-celebrating nature), and dispel the misconceptions about the moondancers, making the surface dwellers understand what they actually stand for, and work to achieve (more than the Promenade ever could).

On a side note, It hasn't been *that* long since we received official word on Eilistraee, the SCAG being the latest book that did that.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

[quote="Irennan":rten7uv0]There isn't a scene where Eilistraee appears in front of a crowd (although it is possible that there was one, and it was edited out), but it is explicitly said that Eilistraee has personally (recently) appeared dancing in the moonlight just under the walls of Waterdeep, up the road to Amphail (with the consequences that I've already described), w/o any specific motivation that led her to manifest.[/quote:rten7uv0]

Understood. Not quite what I was thinking then.

[quote:rten7uv0] a temple in a city like Waterdeep could lead to a renaissance for the faith and its goals. It could grant more visibility to the Eilistraeeans (even attract more people to faith, and its life-celebrating nature), and dispel the misconceptions about the moondancers, making the surface dwellers understand what they actually stand for, and work to achieve (more than the Promenade ever could).[/quote:rten7uv0]

True. Given that Waterdeep is such a major and visible city, one could only hope for a better result then the Promenade had.

[quote:rten7uv0]On a side note, It hasn't been *that* long since we received official word on Eilistraee, the SCAG being the latest book that did that.[/quote:rten7uv0]

Also true, perhaps I overstated somewhat, but I feel this does add a bit of some fairly substantial new lore in its way, even with SCAG.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

I mentioned this to Irennan a couple days ago while talking to him over Facebook. I figured it was worth mentioning here.

[quote:mx7lxazv]There is a thought that crossed my mind when we were talking yesterday or the day before. About Eilistraeen and Vhaeraun being "dead" for a century or so. It's funny to think about one aspect of it. Mystra, like a true mother that's fed up. Locked the two in the Weave. It's amusing to think about her playing the role of mother and locking them in until they can get along.[/quote:mx7lxazv]
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Kaote Bruchedaine":1go3uxlm]I mentioned this to Irennan a couple days ago while talking to him over Facebook. I figured it was worth mentioning here.

[quote:1go3uxlm]There is a thought that crossed my mind when we were talking yesterday or the day before. About Eilistraeen and Vhaeraun being "dead" for a century or so. It's funny to think about one aspect of it. Mystra, like a true mother that's fed up. Locked the two in the Weave. It's amusing to think about her playing the role of mother and locking them in until they can get along.[/quote:1go3uxlm][/quote:1go3uxlm]

Yeah, and I told you on FB, this is what I'd like to see Corellon do, but he doesn't care. However, it does make sense that Mystra looked after Eilistraee and Vhaeraun.

1) Mystra and Eilistraee have been friends since Qilué's birth

2) It is explained in ''Silverfall'' that Mystra's goal is to nurture magic wherever it is found, including creatures of magic like the drow. She wants the drow to flourish, but that's not possible under Lolth. Her dogma forces a lot of talent and potential for actual magic development to be squandered in trivial matters like attempting to backstab each other to gain ''status'' in the eyes of Lolth. Lolth's dogma of hoarding all the power for oneself also violently clashes with Mystra's goal of letting magic and its power spread and be easily accessible by as many as possible. That some of the potentially greatest spellcasters in Toril are brainwashed by this idea, becoming enemies of the development of magic, and that their skills are wasted, doesn't seem to sit well with Mystra. It's then natural that she values Lolth's enemies that actually work to let the drow flourish (like Eilistraee and Vhaeraun do, not like Corellon or the Seldarine) as good allies to have.

Ed has the singular ability to weave all FR lore together and create something that makes sense and that is interesting even out of the most nonsensical situations (like that described in LP). I mean, he is the creator of most of it.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

[quote="Irennan":2akzdzp7]
2) It is explained in ''Silverfall'' that Mystra's goal is to nurture magic wherever it is found, including creatures of magic like the drow. She wants the drow to flourish, but that's not possible under Lolth. Her dogma forces a lot of talent and potential for actual magic development to be squandered in trivial matters like attempting to backstab each other to gain ''status'' in the eyes of Lolth. Lolth's dogma of hoarding all the power for oneself also violently clashes with Mystra's goal of letting magic and its power spread and be easily accessible by as many as possible. That some of the potentially greatest spellcasters in Toril are brainwashed by this idea, becoming enemies of the development of magic, and that their skills are wasted, doesn't seem to sit well with Mystra. It's then natural that she values Lolth's enemies that actually work to let the drow flourish (like Eilistraee and Vhaeraun do, not like Corellon or the Seldarine) as good allies to have.
[/quote:2akzdzp7]

Yeah that does make a lot of sense and while most Lolthite drow do act that way, some (namely Gromph in the later books, in the early books be acts more like a general drow mage), flat-out admits that this behavior is hindering his school and is wasteful (in the first book in the homeland trilogy he constantly called the death of his students by the demons let loose by matron Baenre such earlier in the book clearly being disgusted by it all). Too bad not many drow character in universe seem to share this opinion. Also, what happened to the Spidermage? I haven't heard anything about him since seconds edition and the short story R.A. Salvatore wrote with him in it.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

As of the War of the Spider Queen (my most recent exposure to him) He is far more comfortable in his position. Partly due to Triel turning to him and Quenthel for advice far more than Yvonne ever did.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Leema Har'gachi":2jfja880][quote="Irennan":2jfja880]
Also, what happened to the Spidermage? I haven't heard anything about him since seconds edition and the short story R.A. Salvatore wrote with him in it.[/quote:2jfja880][/quote:2jfja880]

He was speculated to be a Vhaeraunite at some point, and he was talked about in the 2e Menzoberranzan sourcebook, but he's in no other book that I know. With the current approach, WotC is probably ignoring his existence.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Other awesome news: not only people are trying to found a new temple of Eilistraee within Waterdeep, but the Promenade has been stealthily reclaimed, and Ed hinted that something new about it is in the works. WotC also hinted that a new Undermountain storyline will come out in the future, so I think/hope that Eilistraee/the Promenade will finally make an appearance in their adventure paths.

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/7 ... 3288704000
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

So, apparently a group of Eilistraeeans has settled within Maerimydra, alongside the drow of Szith Morcane, after their cooperation to defeat Graz'zt during the "Rage of Demons" storyline:

In the "Assault on Maerimydra" adventure, the PCs can benefit of the help of a band of Sword Dancers, who are trying to help the drow of Szith Morcane against the invading demons.

[quote:2din2jw0][b:2din2jw0]Saradreza Oussmtor/Faithful of Eilistraee[/b:2din2jw0]:
The scantily clad Sword Dancers of the good-aligned drow goddess of song, beauty, swordsmanship, hunting and moonlight stand out among the other groups. While drow, these beautiful women are friendly and welcoming of everyone. They see the chance to retake Maerimydra and the aiding the drow of Szith Morcane as a chance to rally drow with no interest in remaining under the shackles of Lloth's tyranny. The high priestess of their small circle is Saradreza Oussmtor. She is charismatic and warm-hearted and views this opportunity for cooperation as the best chance to spread their goddess's message. For the pre-assault objectives, the Faithful are considering aiding in convincing the Friendly Dead to ally in the attack.[/quote:2din2jw0]

If the adventurers are successful, and they canonically are (although there is the possibility that they abandon the Eilistraeean to a bunch of undead dwarves--the "friendly dead"--who enjoy killing drow), this happens:

[quote:2din2jw0]With the final blow, Graz'zt's form fades away and it is as if a weight has been lifted from your mind. You have done it. Against impossible odds you have forced the Dark Prince back into the Abyss. Without their demonic allies, the allied forced streamed into the city and your victory assured theirs. Maerimydra is liberated! In the days that follow, the drow of Szith Morcane join with the faithful of Eilistraee to occupy the city. The mind flayers of Ryxyg and the myconids of Sporedome join all of the factions in sending members to help rebuild and set up small trading enclaves in the city. On the surface, the government of New Hillsfar and the rebels of Elventree come together in a new openness that has not been seen for generations. Both commit themselves to sending supplies to the starving of Mulmaster and troops to march on Phlan. Your victory has united people above and below the Moonsea! Yet in the quiet of the night, after celebrating your success and mourning the dead, you wonder what became of young Elisande and her goat?[/quote:2din2jw0]

If the characters are not able to defeat Graz'zt:

[quote:2din2jw0]And so the desperate attempt to retake Maerimydra has failed. While dealt a deep blow, the forces of the Dark Prince remain ensconced and strong. In the days that follow, the drow of Szith Morcane and the faithful of Eilistraee go their separate ways, preventing any hope for reunion and moderating of the drow in the Moonsea. The mind flayers of Ryxyg and the myconids of Sporedome grow ever distrustful of the surface dwellers and retreat to their respective homes, fearing the next swarm of derro from Ravagestone. On the surface, the government of New Hillsfar and rebels of Elventree never truly come together and many worry that Hillsfar will return to the xenophobic tendencies of past generations. Aid to the starving of Mulmaster and forsaken Phlan is in short supply. You have bought the people above and below the Moonsea more time, but how long remains unknown. Yet in the quiet of the night, while fretting over what could have been and mourning the dead, you wonder what became of young Elisande and her goat?
If the characters liberated any slaves, Maforie, or half-demon babies, the factions take custody of them and plan to see to their care. All of the characters are assumed to successfully travel home after the adventure.
The End[/quote:2din2jw0]

If you want to read more, check it here: https://es.scribd.com/doc/303333717/DDE ... a-5-10-pdf
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

On a side note, the part about them being "scantily clad beautiful women", combined with the fact that they are described as weak in power (in battle, they mostly try to turn undead, and cast weak healing spells), does make them look like damsels in distress, and makes no sense within their lore (priestesses of Eilistraee use whatever practial gear that thet can get). That's rather annoying