Forgotten Realms 4E Only Three Books

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

[quote="Dregonindil":3g9enov5]Despite screwing up I can garantee you that 4th edition will not fail as many people hope.
Say what you will, but they will make money off of it regardless.[/quote:3g9enov5]

True. A lot of people are going to buy 4th Ed because it's FR. Whether they're going to actually use it is another thing entirely, though i can see new DMs starting out with 4th Ed. because it's simpler, and moving on to 3.5 Ed later on in terms of detail and difficulty. Some are going to stay at 4th Ed though.

Personally, i think they just wanted to make something that was easy to get into. That they effectively ticked off every FR gamer in sight by putting the world on its head is a sign they did it wrong.
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Yep. Well they did make it 200 years in the future. I can see the "make place for new heroes in the Realms" defense line. Screw it! We loved those heroes and heroines! Even if they multiplied extremely fast due to a vast variaty of novels...
Dregonindil
Maid
Maid

Post by Dregonindil »

I to love "our' realms, as I have begun to call them.
Sadly I am not even sure if those who go to 4 will go back to 3.5, especially those who start in 4th.
Maybe I am just being a pessimist, but around where I am 4th edition has spread like a plague, and even though I love 3.5 and love the realms it seems I am but a twig in the forest.
jameslt0
Maid
Maid

Post by jameslt0 »

WotC will release more FR material, but it will be from D&D Insider and Dragon magazine.
atiguy
Maid
Maid

Post by atiguy »

4th edition is...well i'll put it in the words of my friend "wow looks like they made DnD for the streamlines idiots"
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

well, from what was revealed at Gen Con, it seems like the whole reason they killed off Eilistraee was, well...pointless. Apparently, they mention groups of drow (drow, not dark elves) living on the surface, that have at least marginal acceptance by society at large (an excuse for players to make Drow characters, of course). I about had a fit when I read this, because this goes against their whole reasoning as to why Eilistraee needed to go.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Arathen":2zruc4xf]this goes against their whole reasoning as to why Eilistraee needed to go.[/quote:2zruc4xf]
No it doesn't, because their reason was to make Drizzt more special. They pretty much literally said that Eilistraee made good drow breaking free from Lolth (i.e. Drizzt) less special.

Which just shows what a bunch of idiots they are (and why I'm washing my hands off the 'new' Forgotten Realms and 4E).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":3qqwrlpv][quote="Arathen":3qqwrlpv]this goes against their whole reasoning as to why Eilistraee needed to go.[/quote:3qqwrlpv]
No it doesn't, because their reason was to make Drizzt more special. They pretty much literally said that Eilistraee made good drow breaking free from Lolth (i.e. Drizzt) less special.

Which just shows what a bunch of idiots they are (and why I'm washing my hands off the 'new' Forgotten Realms and 4E).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:3qqwrlpv]

Okay so... If i'm reading this correctly, Drizzt, one of the most famous followers of Eilistraee, is still a drow? While all of her other followers changed into their old race through Eilistraee's death? :uh-huh:

I agree, that is retarded. If they essentially put the entire universe on its head because it was making their hero less speshul, i'm changing my vote to sticking with 3.5
-----
jameslt0
Maid
Maid

Post by jameslt0 »

Drizzt is not a worshipper of Eilistraee, he worships Mielikki.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I don't remember it ever saying anywhere even in a rumor that Drizzt is an Eilistraeean. He's always been a ranger under Mielikki.

That being said, I still hate his guts because he ruined good drow.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

I don't know if Drizzit's ruined all good drow, but he certainly did his part to make it almost a joke to be a good drow.

DM: "So, John, what's your character going to be?"
John: "I'm going to play a good drow!"
DM: "Really? Looking to explore the concepts of racial prejudice, or the struggling against the status quo?"
John: "Huh? What? No! I want to look cool, and kill stuff! Like Wolverine! Snikt, snikt! Say, how much does two scimitars cost?"
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Tell me about it...
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

Also, 4th Edition is meant to put everyone "one equal footing". Which means that every character has almost the exact same abilities as everyone else. The only real difference is what they're called, and how they're utilized.

Some effects are slightly different, but all in all, all character classes have pretty much the same sort of talents. It's like going to a steak house and ordering your steak rare, medium, or well done, with different seasoning options. They're all steak, and you're going to pay an arm and a leg. That's pretty much what you're getting with 4th Ed.

The fact that all the web content is going to "make up" for the fact that each setting is only getting 3 books, is kinda silly, if you ask me. Profitable for Wot-zi, but kinda silly. If I want to "keep current" when it comes to the Realms, I need to shell out the $30+ dollars per book (the setting, Player's Guide, Core Books, and the "other Core books") plus almost $20 a month for the subscription to the DDI.... in this economy? If I have to choose between "keeping current" and having gas in my car... I'm going with the gas.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

[quote="jameslt0":3856cexl]Drizzt is not a worshipper of Eilistraee, he worships Mielikki.[/quote:3856cexl]

Agh, blame my lack of access to people knowledgeable of D&D...

[quote="Random person":3856cexl]Eilistraee = Goddess of good drow.

Drizzt = good drow.

Therefore, Drizzt = Eilistraeean[/quote:3856cexl]

Still, for the sake of amusement i should mention that, during a freetyle (non-D&D) RP several years ago, i was a (female) drow dual wielding two swords. While never having heard of Drizzt before at the time :D

[quote="Me on June 10th, 2003":3856cexl]Maric - "Good day, madam. I was wondering, would you by any chance be currently treating a rather tallish, dark-skinned woman with a bit of an attitude problem?"[/quote:3856cexl]

I actually saved the threads at the time, priceless XD
-----
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

o.O