Bryzyne Han'ana

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Tarlyn
Regular

Bryzyne Han'ana

Post by Tarlyn »

Bryzyne Han’ana

[i:2f3yxhrf][b:2f3yxhrf]15th Flamerule, 1223 DR[/b:2f3yxhrf][/i:2f3yxhrf]

Araal and Duxen Han’ana ran through the passage, Duxen carrying their year old baby Bryzyne. They knew there was a party after them but hoped that they could make it to their rendezvous before they were overrun. Araal had learned by prayer to the Dark Lady of the dance that there would be someone to meet them on the surface.

You see Araal and Duxen are dark elves and lived in the city of Ched Nessad(sp). Of course being from there you are expected to worship the Spider Queen. Unfortunately for them , they did not believe in Llolth and worshipped Eilistraee the Dark Maiden. For years they worshipped her secretly but the inevitable did happen. They were discovered. Fortunately, through prayer, Araal discovered they were to be killed, and with their child, they fled into the Underdark. Through prayer she discovered that a party of Priestesses would meet them 3 miles from a cave exit to the surface.

It had been days since they had been on the run. Up in the distance they spied the cave exit! Feeling hope for the first time, they renewed their efforts and ran out of the cave into the surface night. Their eyes blinked at the moonlight as they ran on to their rendezvous. As they crested a hill and ran down, the search party emerged from Ched Nessad. They followed the family, unbeknownst to them that several Priestesses of the Dark Maiden were waiting for the family. Araal and Duxen almost made it. The party caught up to them at the same time the Priestesses found them. A battle ensued and the Priestesses prevailed but not without consequences. Araal and Duxen perished in the fight. Luckily for Bryzyne she survived. The remaining Priestesses buried the bodies of Bryzyne’s parents and Yheta Ivorytracer, the Priestesses party leader, took it upon herself to take care if the year old child.

[i:2f3yxhrf][b:2f3yxhrf]13th Eleint, 1240 DR[/b:2f3yxhrf][/i:2f3yxhrf]
“Concentrate harder, child. See the Darkness, feel it.” Yheta spoke to the little dark elf girl. “Relax and take a deep breath, Bryzyne, I know you can do this, so humor your mother please” she teased.

“Mama I am trying” she tells the elder woman. Scrunching up her face in concentration she focused and to her surprise she felt a tingle then another and finally when she opened her eyes it was so completely dark that she couldn’t even see her hand as it waved in front of her face. “Mama I did it!” she exclaimed. “Yes you did, Bryzyne, very well. You are dismissed, go play with your brother Jacob.”

The darkness dissipated as he walked out of the cave and went in search of her older brother. Heading down the path she came to a clearing and here was her brother, sitting cross legged and playing the flue beautifully. She smiled as she approached him and without a word, sat in front of him and watched him play. The sound of Jacob playing the flute was beautiful. It made her want to get up and dance and sing. As Jacob’s song grew longer and more intense, Bryzyne, without even realizing what she was doing, arose. As the song intensified, she started dancing. The more she danced, the more intense the song became. Bryzyne started singing as well as dancing to the sweet sound of the flute. As the song ended Bryzyne found herself illuminated in a ray of moonlight.

“Jacob, that was beautiful. Why does the moon shine down on me yet not you?” she asked.

“I am not sure, Bry, but I think we should tell Mama about this.” He answered.

Hurrying back to the cave, Jacob looked at his half sister, smiling. [i:2f3yxhrf]She danced beautifully and sang even more beautifully. I think the Dark Maiden favors her and mother will confirm it[/i:2f3yxhrf]. Hey arrived, they headed for their room. Upon arriving they saw their mother was sitting at a table, working with a knife and a piece of wood. Looking up she smiled and bade them to join her at the table.

“So what brings you here from your fun, children?”

“Mama,Bry did something amazing. She sang and danced perfectly to my flute song. And afterwards, the moonlight shone on her very bright and left a mark in the grass.” Jacob blurted out.

Yheta pondered this a moment. [i:2f3yxhrf]She is meant to be a Priestess and approved by Dark Maiden! I am so pleased! Her parents would be so proud of her[/i:2f3yxhrf] thinks Yheta sadly.

“It is time you knew about your parents and our cousins in the Underdark, little one. You may stay Jacob, as she is your sister.”

Many hours later, Bryzyne sat in front of Yheta. “Thank you for the tale mama. Yes you may not be my mother but you are the one who has taken care of me, so I chose to call you mama”. With that she rose, went to her bedroll and lay down, eyes closed and her meditation beginning.

15th Flamerule, 1322 DR
Bryzyn smiled. Today was the day she would become a sister of the Dark Maiden! [i:2f3yxhrf]Mother was right, it was worth the time and patience I put in. And all the time and energy I put in helping the villagers near Shadowdale were worth it tenfold. The beginning was harsh. I am of course a dark one but my persistence payed off tenfold. The money they gave me I gave back to them and helped them build their small temple with it. Now a priest of the Morninglord resides there and the village is flourishing under his guidance. I wish my parents could be here now, but alas it is not to be so. Yheta has been a wonderful Mother as well as Mentor to me to which I shall always remain grateful. The time has come for me to go out in the realms and experience life and help those in need and exterminate evil.[/i:2f3yxhrf]

They ran on into the night, the hunt started. Their naked bodies shone in the moonlight as they ran on in search of the boar. Bryzyne caught sight of it first, and rushing to the front she concentrated slightly on the beast. The boar lit up in a faerie fire, making it thrash around then realizing it was not in any danger it ran on. But it was too late. Bryzyne had caught up to it and with a swift, clean swipe of her Bastard Sword, she beheaded the beast. The hunting party was elated, Bryzyne performed admirably on her first hunt and only just become a Priestess! They carried the dead beast back for the feast and dance in the meadow. Many hours later after the feast and dance were done, Bryzyne sat with Yheta “You know I must leave on the morrow and explore the Realms, don’t you, mama?”

“Yes I do, child. You will make a fine disciple of the Lady of the dance, I knew since the day you performed so admirably to your brother’s flute. Jacob too has gone off to Waterdeep and has met some people there and a strange Monk. They fancy each other and he has brought her here to meet me . I think they are worthy of each other and shall live a good life together. He tells me they traveled to an island through a portal last year. On the island were elves and drow living in harmony. They are ruled by a man he just called the leader. It is too bad we can’t be like that here in the Realms. Oh well. I am sure you will give the Dancing Lady a good name and make your parents and I proud” she kissed Bry’s cheek once then arose and went up to the cave.

5th Mirtul, 1350 DR
She paused as she stood in the tree overlooking the courtyard. [i:2f3yxhrf]So the Orcs think this village foolish enough to believe their fib of leaving them alone as long as they pay the toll? What the villagers do not know is that a Bhargest leads them. I cannot allow this to go on. I have watched from the sidelines as many innocent villagers have been killed or beaten. Today I act and the Bharghest shall rue the day he came to bother Hluthvar.[/i:2f3yxhrf]

In the dark of the night she descended the tree and headed for the route and the pass to the mountains and the Orc’s cave. Hours later she arrived near the top of the pass. And stopped. Concentrating, she gripped her symbol and offered a prayer up to the Lady. She listened and only detected snoring. Approaching them she spoke aloud “You may stay here and face the possibility of dying or you can leave this place forever more, never to return” To emphasize her point she pointed at one of the awakened Orcs and he was illuminated in Faerie Fire. Both Orcs were frozen in fear and judging the wise thing to do be run, they fled into the night, stumbling several times, never looking back. She chuckled dryly to herself as she entered the cave. Seeing the sleeping forms of more Orcs she pondered her next move. Offering up a prayer to Eilistraee, she began concentrating. Daylight illuminated the cavern now. An Orc or 2 awoke and seeing a female drow, looked around in fear. “Awake now and leave or face my wrath” Bryzyne spoke aloud yet again. The Orcs stirred and seeing Bryzyne looked around nervously. Speaking in Orc now “You have 2 choices before you. You can leave now and live to see another day or you may stay and die, the choice is really up to you. Decide now”. Bryzyne spoke confidently, arms folded across her chest. The Orcs, as the 2 guards outside, took no time to think about it and all fled the cave, never even looking back. She turned and spoke to the fleeing Orcs “If you ever bother a human settlement again, you will be hunted down and killed”. Turning to inspect the cavern she saw another entrance and smiled to herself. Approaching it she started to invoke the Lady of the dance once more. Passing through the entrance she saw the Barghest. The Barghest stirred and growled at Bryzyne then started to jump at her. He ran into one slight problem though. The whole area he was in was suddenly a myriad of swirling blades and as it jumped, the blades cut it into pieces, spraying the wall and area with its blood and body pieces. Bryzyne had cast the Blade Barrier spell before entering and stood back. The blood on her did not bother her , she was just glad to have been of help to the villagers. Looking around she spied some cloth and wiped herself clean. She spied what she was here for and walking over, she picked it up. The chest was rather heavy, but she would manage. Concentrating a moment she felt her Goddess’s power flowing through her and suddenly the chest weighed little. Walking back down the pass, the sun rose. Looking back she smiled. Another good deed in the Lady of the Dance’s name. Pulling her cloak over her head, she walked into the village and to the Temple of Pelor. Walking up to the door, she knocked. Minutes later the door opened to reveal an elderly man in robes. “Yes?” he looked at Bryzyne inquisitively.
“I bring you this chest which belonged to the Orc brigands and their leader up in the mountains, good sir. I serve the Lady of the dance and thus I give you the chest in her name. Let it be known of her doings”

The man’s eyes go wide as he stepped back in fear. Then slowly comprehension dawned in his face that Bryzyne meant him no harm and that she meant him no harm. Nodding once, she turned and left. Turning she walked off into the morning sun. He called after her. “Wait! Let me reward you.” Opening the chest he spied a bag of what looked to be coins. He took it out and walked after her. “Take this as a token of the village’s appreciation, please”.

“No that is for the village of Hluthvar compliments of the Orcs and The Lady of the Dance. I bid you good luck and may the moon shine brightly on you and your village. Farewell.”

With that she walked onto the road and headed west. For several months she did the same thing. Watch over towns and villages and help wherever it was needed. Health, monsters, teaching. Anything she could do to help she did. And never did she accept payment.. Her reward was helping and spreading the good name of her Goddess. Bryzyne has been doing this now for close to 50 years all around the Realms.