Tarlyn in Ravenloft

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Tarlyn
Regular

Tarlyn in Ravenloft

Post by Tarlyn »

[i:338wh2a9][b:338wh2a9]July 15th,759 BC Karg,Darkon[/b:338wh2a9][/i:338wh2a9]

He crept along the alley, eyes and ears alert to the first sign of trouble. [i:338wh2a9]The Master must really want this item else he would not have sent me here to this place. If they ever find out I was here or Master is responsible we are both better off dead.[/i:338wh2a9] He peered into the gloom, eyes searching for any hidden guards or surprises.[i:338wh2a9] This is the witching hour. Most all humans are lackadaisical at this hour, secure in their false beliefs noone will bother to try anything. Not here of all places! [/i:338wh2a9] Clinging to the wall and silent as the wind he arrives at the corner and holds his breath, then lets it out slowly. Going low to the ground he peers around the corner quickly and sees what he suspected all along. The guard at the door. And as he suspected his head is drooping.[i:338wh2a9] Who would think of even trying anything here? That was the beauty of his plan, who would even dare break into this place? And steal! [/i:338wh2a9]

Looking up he calculated the distance and reaching to his hip, he removed a rod and pressed a button. A grapple popped out. Judging the distance accordingly, he pressed the button again and as he swung the rod, the grapple started to twirl from the end of a rope which had emerged from the rod. The rope kept emerging until the distance he had projected was met. Now with a final twirl of the rod, he cast the grapple and it passed over onto the roof and hit it with a slight thud, not enough to alert the guard. Pulling the rope with the rod until the grapple caught on the roof solidly, he clicked a button and the rope became taught, securely attached to the roof. Gripping the rod firmly in both hands he pressed a button and as the rope started to reenter the rod, he jumped up and with his feet started to walk up the wall as the rope reeled him in. Once at the top he put away his prized possession and stopped a moment to get his bearings. Looking around he saw the roof had no trap doors. Spying the building the guard was at, he walked over near the edge and peered down. The guard’s head was drooping and he kept jerking awake.

He judged the distance about 30 feet. Concentrating a moment he utters a few arcane words and feels suddenly very confident about using the hand crossbow. Reaching behind him, he removes the hand crossbow at his back. Removing 2 bolts from a pouch he loads one to his crossbow and lays down eyeing the guard. Taking a deep breath he holds it. Aiming carefully and taking his time he exhales. As he exhales he fires. The bolt flies across the distance and hits true, embedding itself into the guards eye. The guard grunts once then slumps to the ground, dead. Quickly putting away the crossbow, he utters a few more arcane words and grabbing the wall he crawls like a spider down the wall and upon reaching the ground jumps down and sprints over to the dead guard. Quickly he props up the dead guard against the wall and removes his bolt.

Searching the guard he finds a set of keys. Eyeing the lock on the door he tries the handle. It is unlocked! He pockets the keys for himself. Listening at the door he hears nothing inside and boldly opens it and peers inside. Seeing no shapes he enters and closes the door behind him. Peering into the darkness he spies what he was told he would find, a stairwell.[i:338wh2a9] These people are overconfident, a mistake. That will teach them to hire unprofessional guards in the future. Well so far so good, it is exactly as the Master said it was. Just a few more feet and I’ll be up the stairs and near my goal.[/i:338wh2a9] Silently approaching the stairs he stops and listens for noise upstairs. Nothing. Taking the steps one by one he painstakingly goes slowly so as not to make a noise. Upon reaching the second floor, he stops and breathes deeply letting his breath out slowly.
A hallway, just as the Master had promised him, were 5 doors. 2 on the left, 2 on the right and 1 at the end. The one he was concerned with was on the far right. Silently approaching the door he was careful to look for any traps. Patience paid off because at the door he found one. Taking his time, he observed the trap and studied it. Certain of the type of trap it was, he disarmed without any trouble.

The door was locked. Reaching for the keys he pulled them out. The first 3 were not the proper ones, but the 4th one was. Turning the key as quietly and silently as he could, he opened the door and held his breath as he looked in. Nothing more than an office was what Master told him he would see. But the trick, the Master told him, was to reach remove a certain book on the 3rd shelf of the bookcase and pull a switch. Looking inside he searched as thoroughly as he could, sure he was in fact alone.
Entering the office he closed the door silently behind him and approached the bookcase. Spying the said book, he removed it and pulled the switch. At first nothing happened, but then he heard the distinct sound of tumbling gears then a click. The bookcase opened slightly and behind he saw a short 5 foot passage. As he passed through he saw a lever and realizing what it was, pulled it. The bookcase closed behind him. Now hurrying he came to the end of the passage and an open doorway. Past the doorway was a sparsely furnished room comprising of a bed, a dresser a night table and a chest. Of course the chest is what any old thief would try for but alas the Master had told him to look elsewhere for the item and maybe a small reward for him. Walking up to the bed, he crouched and got on his knees. Pulling back the covers he removed a dagger. Slicing the mattress he reached inside and felt around. Sure enough he found what the Master had told him he would find. Pulling it out he laid it on the bed, opening it. Inside was what he was told to get, a staff. But with the staff was a ring.[i:338wh2a9] Is this my reward he thinks as he holds up the ring and looks at it. He felt a tingle and shuddered slightly. Magical? I certainly hope so. [/i:338wh2a9]

He put the ring in his pouch and the staff back in its case. Pulling the covers over the bed, he left the room and the passage, arriving back at the lever. Pulling it he hurried out and closed the bookcase. He left the office and was just closing the door when the closest door to him started to open. Hiding in the shadows as best he could, he held his breath. A form headed to the next door and using a key, opened it, then stopped as if suddenly alert to some strange sensation. Turning around he seemed to concentrate. “Do not move on pain of death fool. I feel you” and as he said that a light appeared in his hand.

The man was small in stature, in a robe. He looked rather furious . The intruder moved quicker than the robed man anticipated, removing 2 blades from each hip and charging the man. The robed man started uttering arcane words, but the intruder slapped him on the arm with his blade and the other one appeared as if by magic at his throat. “You will turn around and head back whence you came or die yourself”,he whispered to the man. The man started to move but got cocky and reached for his belt. The intruder sighed and his blades flashed twice, permanently marking an “X” on the man’s throat. [i:338wh2a9] Who is the fool now, dead man? Not I. Pain of death, indeed. That would be you. Rest in peace foolish human.[/i:338wh2a9]

The pretense for stealth was gone now as he hurried down the stairs. Reaching into a pocket he removed a small stick.[i:338wh2a9] The Master said to snap it in half once my task was done. [/i:338wh2a9] Doing so he felt a strange sensation. Before he blinked again he was back in the Masters abode, in the den. Looking around he saw that the Master was sitting and perusing a book “Back so soon, Seaven? Were you successful? Did you run into any problems?” he asked.

“To answer your first question, yes I am back. I was indeed successful, Master and I did have a slight run in with the person you told me might be there. Unfortunately for him, he cannot breath through the gaping hole in his neck. Furthermore the extreme loss of blood did not help his health any.”. Reaching into his bag he removed the case and handed it to the Master. Thinking a moment he says “Master I did find this as well, but as you spoke of reward, I took it upon myself to keep it.” Seaven said as he showed him the ring that has been with the staff.

“Excellent work, my dear dark one! You have earned this trinket.” Concentrating a little he smiled. “It is as I suspected, magical. Give me an hour and I’ll tell you what it does as a reward for your good work this evening.” He shooed Seaven out of the room. Seaven headed down the stairs and walked to the kitchen for some food. Making himself a snack he waited. True to the Master’s word, he did come down an hour later and sat with Seaven. “Well my dear boy, this is a fine ring you have earned. Once you have worn it for a full week the magic will take effect upon you. First of all you will not have to eat or drink, as it will sustain you. Lastly you will only need to sleep 2 hours a night to get a full nights rest. I do know you elves have some sort of meditative sleep but this is by far superior. You have earned it. Now get some rest, we travel tomorrow to Nevuchar Springs. It is a very long and tiring journey. I have business there and wish you to accompany me there.” he said.

With that he rose from the table and retired for the evening. Seaven did as well, tired from his errand. He slept soundly and awoke before the Master did. He prepared his things and waited for him. A little later the Master descended and had Seaven get his things. When Seaven had the Master’s things, the Master opened the front door and a carriage was waiting there. Seaven carried the Master’s things while the Master embarked into the carriage. Seaven then got his backpack, locked the door and enterred the carriage. It left Karg and traveled to Maykle. They stayed a few days there, Seaven acting as the valet, servant and bodyguard. They soon left Maykle for Nevuchar Springs arriving a few days later.

[i:338wh2a9][b:338wh2a9]October 17th,759 Nevuchar Springs,Darkon[/b:338wh2a9][/i:338wh2a9]

“Ah finally we have arrived! I do so hate traveling by carriage, Seaven. I have some business I must attend to here alone, so you will be left to your devices.” He hands Seaven a pouch. Inside are gems. “That is for you, enjoy! Just up the street from my abode is a Jeweler shop, Ovo’s. Exchange them there, you won’t get asked any questions. Keep to yourself here and try to stay out of trouble. I will see you in a few days” He hands Seaven a key. “This is to the abode, so you may come and go as you please. Night time can be tricky as it was in Karg, Seaven. The undead have no mercy on the living, so stay away from them or do as you have done in the past, terminate them. It’s good sport!” he winks, then leaves Seaven to his thoughts.

A few days go by and he has no sign of the Master. Every once in a while he has dreams of another place, and it all feels so familiar ye so far ! He has often woken to the whisper of a name he cannot place. It is always on the tip of his tongue yet so far away. Each night he goes out and frequents mostly Elvish Inns. And every night as he goes back home he hunts the undead, zombies and ghouls and disposes of them.[i:338wh2a9] Foul creatures. Worse than humans and they even smell worse than humans or dwarves for that matter.[/i:338wh2a9]

[i:338wh2a9][b:338wh2a9]October 30th,759 Nevuchar Springs,Darkon[/b:338wh2a9][/i:338wh2a9]

One day while he is out he spies the Master in a shop talking to some men. Catching his eye he nods to let him know he is about in case he is needed. The Master nods back and his voice enters his head[i:338wh2a9] Stay close by Seaven, and follow me. These men are associates and I was expecting you.[/i:338wh2a9] The Master and the men leave and Seaven follows discreetly from a distance. They head towards the port and enter an Inn. [i:338wh2a9]Enter after we do and wait for me at a table, Seaven[/i:338wh2a9]. He complies and waits, having a meal and surveying the Inn’s occupants. Most were seamen yet some looked rather like doubtful characters. Seaven smiled inwardly at that. An hour later the Master came out of a back room and after saying a few words to the men he was with, they left. The Master sits with Seaven and orders a beverage, leaving coin for both Seaven’s meal and his order.

“I hope you had a good time here as we must part ways, but we will meet again in the near future, Seaven I can assure you of that” he smiles. “You may have use of the home. You might try a trip by boat, as you never know where you may end up” he says with a wink. Getting up he nods once to Seaven then leaves.

Seaven stays a few days more and decides before he does take a trip by boat, to visit this land called Darkon. He travels for several months, working as bodyguard sometimes, others finding little odd jobs. His best jobs entail mostly taking care of “problems” or “bad credit” cases. He was very good at what he did. Finally he made it back to Nevuchar Springs months later.

[i:338wh2a9][b:338wh2a9]March 17th,760 Off the coast of Souragne, near Port D’elhour
[/b:338wh2a9][/i:338wh2a9]

Taking the Masters advice he indeed takes a boat trip. Not sure where he was heading he felt the Master was teasing him almost. That night he dreamt of the name again but this time he remembered it! Tarlyn!

Waking in a sweat he felt renewed. Going on deck he saw they were approaching land, but not Nevuchar Springs of Darkon. No it looked to be an Island. When the boat docked he got off and headed for an Inn. The people talked funny here. He stayed for several days and 2 weeks as he was walking on the outskirts of town he felt a jab a his memory![i:338wh2a9] I remember now! I’m Tarlyn [/i:338wh2a9]And as he remembered that he remembered his home, his travels his time in Darkon and the cursed mists. He wandered lost and ended up in the swamp, and upon emerging the Master(Lord Valry Rivtoff) approached him and took him back to an Inn.