Tarlyn in Ravenloft

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Tarlyn
Regular

Tarlyn in Ravenloft

Post by Tarlyn »

For those of you familiar with Ravenloft and Darkon I exagerate Tarlyn's memory loss a little, but I'm allowed!! :p

[i:31by4fg4][b:31by4fg4]Morning of June 20th 758 BC Karg,Darkon [/b:31by4fg4][/i:31by4fg4]
Tarlyn approached the city after he emerged from the mists. [i:31by4fg4]These mists will drive me mad! I am positive I’m not he first person nor the last to travel via them either. I wonder what I’ll find here in this city. Hopefully no more Lycanthropes as I have had my fill of them for this lifetime and the next![/i:31by4fg4]

He passed through the gate as the guards at the guardpost looked him up and down closely. They approached him and bid him to stop. First speaking to him in a language he did not quite understand, then in a broken Mordentish that he did “What brings you to Karg, stranger?” he asked rather brusquely. Spying Tarlyn’s weapons, he stood back.

Tarlyn responded dryly “ I arrive here from the cursed mists, good Sir. I only wish to enter your [i:31by4fg4]FINE[/i:31by4fg4] city and partake of what it has to offer.” he bows lowly, then stands erect. “You would not turn back a lost soul would you now?” he winks slyly to the guard and approaches him, his hands at his side away from his body to show he meant no harm.

“Just let me visit your fair city, Sir. I only wish to sample what it has to offer before I go on my merry way. Come one now, you wouldn’t turn me back would you?” and as he says this he slips a few coins discreetly into the guards hand, smiling into his eyes. “Now just let me pass, I only wish to visit” he says

The guard eyes widen as he feels the coins slip into his hand and casts a glance into his hand, seeing [i:31by4fg4][b:31by4fg4]GOLD![/b:31by4fg4][/i:31by4fg4]. “Well of course fair traveller” he winks slyly at his partner “Please do enjoy your stay here in Karg and do try to stay out of trouble.” He stands back and lets Tarlyn pass calling after him “Head straight then turn right at the decrepit building, you will find an Inn there called the Roaring Bard”.
Tarlyn pulled his cloak around him and walked slowly, absorbing the city Karg for the first time. Looking around, he saw many militia about. And the citizens, whether Elf or Human seemed to give them a wider berth than would be expected of a civilian in regards to their protectors.
[i:31by4fg4]Well that is odd. This bears some investigation on my part. But right now I should get accommodations at this Inn and a good hot meal![/i:31by4fg4]

Finding the Inn he entered the premises. Looking around he saw it was a modest Inn. Not many patrons at this hour he saw. Then again they were probably still sleeping. Behind the counter was an elderly woman cleaning glasses. He approached the counter and asked her in Mordentish “Pardon me, Madam, but have you a room and a hot meal for a tired traveler?” he said with the sweetest smile he could muster. [i:31by4fg4] My experience with Humans in these lands might just pay off. Make them feel at ease you with you from the start[/i:31by4fg4].
She looked at Tarlyn with no expression on her face “Yes I do.” she said listlessly and reaching under the counter, she retrieved a key. Handing it over she said “We don’t tolerate trouble from your kind in here and meals are included in your fare for the room.” Leaning in she whispered “Beware the secret police, they hate outsiders especially your kind. That’ll be 6 silver crowns for the night, please” she leans back waiting.

Tarlyn smiles at her. Reaching into a pouch inside his cloak, he discreetly slides a few gold coins over to her, nodding. Her eyes register the coins but she shows no emotion on her face as her hand quickly slides the coins off the counter and into her other hand. “I’ll have a meal prepared for you, Sir. Come down in a few minutes. It is the last room on the right, number 7.” With that she heads towards a doorway and calls out “One breakfast on the double, Fred! Make it snappy will ya, the man ain’t got all day for Ezra’s sake!!”.

Tarlyn heads up the stairs and walks down the hall to his room. Unlocking the door, he opens it then enters. It is a modest room with a bed, a dresser, a desk and a window with a view into the city.[i:31by4fg4] Well a view is good. I can observe the everyday happenings in this[/i:31by4fg4] [i:31by4fg4]’KARG[/i:31by4fg4][i:31by4fg4] and see for myself what I might discover. A good Assassin observes and has great patience. Information is like gold to me. I prefer it to coin actually. Especially in this land as I am discovering the hard way. Gold can only get you so much. But being an Elf with a long life I have different needs and philosophies a Human would. Thier lives are so short.[b:31by4fg4]FOOLS![/b:31by4fg4][/i:31by4fg4]. Stashing his backpack under the bed, he stretches. He exits his room and looks around. Seeing noone he removes a hair from his great mane of hair. As he closes the door, he puts the hair in the nook between the door and the frame, smiling to himself. He walks down the hallway and descends back into the Inn, heading for a quiet table. Keeping his back to the wall he leans back and smiles.

A short while later the old woman approaches him with a plate of food and a beverage. She hands it to him, then goes back to her duties. Nodding his thanks, he digs in. As he savors his meal, he ponders his next move. Judging by his past experience, he figured the evening would be his best bet at gathering information as well and perhaps some work.
[i:31by4fg4]The evening favors my type of person. Let me rest this day and head out this eve and see what I may find![/i:31by4fg4] After his meal is done he approaches the old woman, smiling. “Pardon me, Madam? I shall retire for the day and shall wish a meal this evening. It has been a tiresome journey. If by chance, during my rest, you can think of any establishments that attract a large crowd in the evening, please do let me know when I descend this evening. Thank you”. With that he turns and heads up the stairs and walks to his room. Opening the door he sees the hair and smiles. Reaching up he takes it between his fingers and slips it into a pocket in his cloak for future use. Closing and then locking the door, he slumps onto the bed and closes his eyes. Breathing deeply and long, he starts to build a rhythm. After a few minutes his mind wanders into a state of meditation. Tarlyn stays this way throughout the day until the evening.

[i:31by4fg4][b:31by4fg4]Sept 27th,758 BC Karg,Darkon in the rented home of one Valry Rivtoff, esteemed member of the Fraternity of Shadows(FOS)[/b:31by4fg4][/i:31by4fg4]

There is a knock at the door. Sighing, he puts down his book. [i:31by4fg4]I asked not to be disturbed. This had better be important. Maybe Carl has some information on the last known whereabouts of that traitor Van Rijn?[/i:31by4fg4] “I’m coming already” he says impatiently as he arrives at the door. “Yes who is it?”

“It’s me Carl. I have information for you” comes an answer from the other side of the door.

Rivtoff opens the door, an incantation ready in case it is not indeed Carl but one of Van Rijn’s minions. It is Carl and Rivtoff breathes a sigh of relief, letting the young man pass then closing the door and locking it.

“So what have you got for me, Carl? Did you find information on the individual I asked of?” he asks impatiently.

“Um no Sir I did not. But a source tells me that a visiting elf not of these parts is in town. Furthermore I have it on good authority that he is not what he seems to be. He is in “disguise”. He has been snooping around the city at night. He seems quite capable of taking care of himself, judging by the trail of zombie and ghoul bodies that are now permanently dead. He is hard to follow and asks questions that are dangerous. One of my “acquaintances” can detect certain types of magic and sees very well through disguises. He tells me” and at his Carl barely says it loud enough “that this Elf is in fact, well I don’t know how to explain it really. He is Black? I have never heard of a black elf, Lord Rivtoff.”

Rivtoff takes in the information and he grins. “You have done well, Carl. Now do tell me where I can find this fellow, would you? I wish to speak with him” he says. Smiling inwardly, Rivtoff deems it profitable to indeed speak with this “dark” elf. [i:31by4fg4]Hmmm if he is not a native his memory will indeed falter, and this will be my cue to take advantage of his memory loss! A dark elf of all the things. He must be mine! I’ll hire him as a bodyguard and try to keep his identity secret from the others! He may in fact come in handy in finding that filthy undead traitor Van Rijn. I will speak to Brother Roeccha on this dark elf’s behalf then.[/i:31by4fg4]

“He is staying at the Roaring Boar, Sir. Days he sleeps and nights he is out and about” Carl says “Have I done well, Sir?” he dares ask.

“Yes Carl I am pleased. You are dismissed. I’ll be in touch”. With that he opens the door and ushers out Carl [i:31by4fg4]Oh I cannot wait to meet this dark one. I grow tired of Carl. Ah the irony of it all. This dark one can take care of Carl. Hence noone but I will know of his true nature! I have heard rumors of some dark elves here in Darkon but never have I seen one. This should prove most interesting.[/i:31by4fg4]

[i:31by4fg4][b:31by4fg4]Nov 27th, 759 BC Roaring Bard Inn, 7 p.m[/b:31by4fg4][/i:31by4fg4]

He ate his meal slowly, savoring every bite. Looking around he saw it was a normal crowd. As he brought the mug to his lips and leaned back, an elderly man enterred. He seemed to look around then approached the elderly serving woman/owner Megan. He spoke with her a few moments then she nodded towards him. Suddenly he felt like he forgot something and ........ [i:31by4fg4] What am I doing here? Who am I?[/i:31by4fg4] Looking around the Inn with a puzzled expression, he spies the elderly gentleman approaching him. The man was smiling at him as if he knew him. Confused, he nodded and waited. The man asked “Ah there you are! How does this fine evening find you, Seaven?” Rivtoff asks.
The elf thinks a moment “Pardon but I do know you, right? You do seem familiar. I seem to be having a lapse of memory for some reason” the elf offers to Rivtoff.

“Well yes” Rivtoff lies “We do know each other. Your name is Seaven and you work for me. I was to meet you here to discuss a small job I have for you, nothing extravagant of course.”

“I work for you? Well it feels plausible. Who are you by the way?” the elf asks.

“Why, I am your employer, Seaven. But you usually call me Master, which suits us both fine I assure you. Now down to business. I have this problem with a man who disrespects me. He does not pay coins owed me and spreads lies about me across town.” Rivtoff says to Seaven “I grow tired of his foul mouthing me and wish him taken care of as only [i:31by4fg4]Seaven[/i:31by4fg4] knows how.” Rivtoff winks at Seaven knowingly.

Rivtoff reaches into his coat and removes a piece of paper, handing it to Seaven. Nodding , he looks at Seaven then the paper. “Memorize it then destroy it, understood?” Rivtoff looks to Seaven to make sure he got the gist of the information on the paper. Seaven read it over twice then holding it between his fingers he held it over the candle on the middle of the table, burning the paper. Nodding to the Master he rose. “Well Sir, I must be going if you wish this fool taken care of” Seaven says in all seriousness. “I’ll await your visit on the morrow and payment for services rendered”. With that he rises from his seat, nods once to Rivtoff, then leaves the Inn. [i:31by4fg4]He is precious! I must absolutely keep him as a bodyguard. Think of the possibilities. A Dark one in my employ! The other FOS members will be envious most surely[/i:31by4fg4].

Seaven wanders the streets of Karg, pondering his mission.[i:31by4fg4]This seems a simple task. This fool must have really disrespected the Master. Oh well it is the last time he shall, ever![/i:31by4fg4]

[i:31by4fg4][b:31by4fg4]Nov 27th, 758 BC Rivtoff’s home,Karg. 1 a.m[/b:31by4fg4][/i:31by4fg4]

There was a slight knock at the door, barely audible to Rivtoff. Yet he was waiting for it so heard it clearly. Anxiously approaching the door, he shuddered in anticipation.[i:31by4fg4]I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. If this is indeed the dark one. Oh how competent he is. The others would be jealous to learn I have a dark elf in my employ![/i:31by4fg4]

Opening the door slightly, an enchantment ready, he sees Seaven and lets him in. Closing the door he locks it then turns to Seaven. “So, were you successful in your endeavor? I wager that yes you were, Seaven.” he says with baited breath.

Seaven leans against the wall and observes the Master. [i:31by4fg4]Yes he does seem confident in my abilities. Fair enough. I also picked up some nice information for myself this evening. A secret police? This is why the populace are so afraid of the militia then. No matter I do them a favor by spending my evenings terminating undead filth. What else is there to do in my hometown? Twiddle my thumbs? I think not. The Master most surely has plans for me. If not I will prove myself to him. He does seem overzealous at times when dealing with me. It must be my mannish good looks, Seaven muses as he chuckles inwardly[/i:31by4fg4]

“The person in question is no more, Master. I made sure of it, and thoroughly at that. His abode is no more as well, a tragic yet accidental fire in his abode. Isn’t that just terrible news?” Seaven says to Rivtoff in a lightly sarcastic tone.

“Ah the poor fellow, Seaven. What a tragedy for not only him to perish but his home as well. Whatever shall I do? I of course will never receive the coin he owed me. Oh well life moves on I suppose Seaven. Here’s something for your services of late” he hands Seaven a case and nods. “I wish you to stay here in my home with me, so to better protect me from my enemies and serve me, Seaven”.

Seaven ponders the offer a moment while he feels the case and observes it, then looks Rivtoff in the eye. “Well if you wish it, that can work for me, but the payment is more , Master. Standard fee for live in bodyguard. Shall I use the spare room here on the 1st floor, Master? I have little belongings as you well know. I shall take you up on the offer tomorrow, Master. I need to take care of some personal matters tomorrow during the day. If you’ve no more use of me this evening” he looks to Rivtoff expectantly. Seeing as the Master says nothing, he excuses himself from the room and leaves the home. Heading towards the Inn he muses over the Masters offer and smiles. [i:31by4fg4]Well that would be an easy task, guarding the Master and living in his home as well. If I pay attention I am postitive I can learn some new information I have not learnt as of yet in Karg. The Master seems knowledgeable in many aspects of Karg. He seems to belong to a Brotherhood of some sort. Some kind of organization if it were.[/i:31by4fg4]

Enterring the Inn he nods to Megan as he enters and heads up the stairs to his room. Once securely in his room, he lays on the bed and opens the case. Inside is an black ebony rod. Upon further inspection he sees 3 buttons. Curious he presses the button numbered “1". A grapple pops out. Inspecting the case thoroughly he finds a hidden compartment with a papyrus in it. Reading it he discovers how to use the rod and was taken aback by the Master’s generous gift.[i:31by4fg4]I will use this wisely, Master as you suspected I would. He smiles to himself[/i:31by4fg4]

Several months pass in which Seaven does little jobs for his “Master”, whether it be assassinating or more valet like work. Rivtofff relishes having a dark elf bodyguard/assistant and Seaven does work without complaint.

[i:31by4fg4][b:31by4fg4]Oct 10th , 759 BC Karg,Darkon Rivtoff’s home 12 p.m[/b:31by4fg4][/i:31by4fg4]

Rivtoff stared at the letter. He read it again to be sure of its contents, cursing the traitor. [i:31by4fg4]The bastard! He is sending us on a wild goose chase to that godforsaken sinkhole of an island? As if we will find an answer to van Rijn’s whereabouts in Souragne, he scoffs. Some mumbo jumbo Voodan can help them find information on the ring? This remains to be seen. Well it is time to head to Nevuchar Springs and meet with the FOS and head for Souragne afterwards[/i:31by4fg4]

He summons Seaven to his quarters. “Sit please. I have some news I wish to share with you. We must travel to Nevuchar Springs on the coast tomorrow, Seaven. You will like it . It is on the sea and quite the busy little port. You should find it more accommodating to someone of your pointed eared race. I have business I have to attend to there and wish you to see the city. But first I have a job for you” and with his he hands Seaven a piece of paper with instructions, Seaven studies it twice then burns it. “I’ll see you tonight after the job, Master” he says, and leaves.