Tarlyn Xarran

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Tarlyn
Regular

Tarlyn Xarran

Post by Tarlyn »

Tarlyn Xarann:
Tarlyn is from the drow city of Chad Nessad. He was part of the Elite Guards who patrol the passages of the Underdark near the city. For many years Tarlyn also trained secretly at the Fighter School under light with other select few drow warriors for special missions to the surface, the slaughter of their iblith surface cousins! Since Tarlyn was to be the scout and lead patroller, having shown to be the best in his class, he received special training; the art of assassination!

[i:q4nkfrx4][b:q4nkfrx4]Flamerule 17,1367 DR:[/b:q4nkfrx4][/i:q4nkfrx4]

5 years later, he was ready. The patrol of 20 warriors, Tarlyn included, and 3 Priestesses left the city one morning very early.
Tarlyn led them, impatient for his blades to feast on iblith blood!

I shall spill the first surface elf blood and the glory shall be mine for the most kills! Tarlyn thought to himself.

The closer they got to the exit and their “raison d’etre”, the party grew more excited, smelling the elf blood that would spill. The lead Priestess stopped them suddenly. “Beware, foolish males, as we approach the exit, and that horrifying orb in the sky is up.
We rest here and go when the orb has passed the horizon and darkness is upon the surface world.”

The war party rested for the better part of the day. Tarlyn grew restless, anxious to spill surface elf blood. At sundown they ate one last meal, then proceeded near the exit and waited for the twilight to proceed onto the surface world. Tarlyn went first, cautious he proceeded as silent as the wind, exiting the cave entrance. He stopped for only a moment and peered into the night sky, the moon nor the stars bothering his eyes as he had prepared for this moment for years! Making sure the “coast was clear”, he beckoned the others to emerge. Off in the distance they heard reveling, as it was the summer solstice, and elves were celebrating.

The Priestesses started chanting lowly and the party glimmered once then disappeared, invisible to the naked eye. Tarlyn proceeded through the forest until they came unto a clearing.

Elves were singing and dancing, praising Sehanine Moonbow.
Foul goddess your followers perish tonight as we celebrate our victory over them!

Tarlyn grinned evilly as he entered the elf encampment silent as ever, and his first blade pierced an elf’s heart, the other blade slicing right through another elf’s throat! The carnage was quick and deadly, as the drow took the elves completely by surprise.

Tarlyn raised his fists in praise to Llolth and yelled his pleasure at the Spider Queen, as most other of the war party were ecstatic.

A slight mist started to move into the camp as they drow were searching the dead elves and killing any they thought still living.
Now the mist was even thicker, and Tarlyn had trouble seeing his drow brothers.

“Yathtallar(High Priestess)?,Abban(Ally)?Akh(Band)?”. Tarlyn called out but heard nothing. He proceeded through the mists
calling out, yet not hearing anything. It seemed like hours passed as he called out and walked in all directions searching for the rest of his party.

[i:q4nkfrx4][b:q4nkfrx4]May 13th,754 BC Barovia[/b:q4nkfrx4][/i:q4nkfrx4]

Finally after what seemed like an eternity, the mists cleared. Tarlyn stopped. He was on the middle of a road and it was daylight! He heard horses off in the distance, and looked for cover or a place to hide. Off on both sides was a dark, gloomy forest, nothing like he had seen earlier. Not thinking much about it at the moment, he silently ran off to the forest, hiding behind a tree. As the horse hooves approached and the hoves sounded louder and louder, Tarlyn finally took a moment to take in his “bearings”.

This forest seems different. The trees are bigger,thicker. It is much darker here and the air seems almost dry and unbreathable. Something is wrong here, but I can’t put my finger on it.

Several men on horses rode by and stopped. One man, the one in the front frowned slightly, and looked around as if searching for something. Tarlyn stayed hidden behind the tree, out of sight he thought. The man disembarked from his horse and spoke a few words to a robed man in the middle of the group. He nodded and his hands made some gestures, and he started to utter arcane phrases! Tarlyn was no novice to magic, even if he wasn’t a Mage. Concentrating slightly, and looking at the robed man, a faerie fire enveloped the man. Tarlyn was hoping the man wasn’t that competent and it would ruin his spell.

The robed man frowned slightly, then finished his incantation. He spoke to the man who got off his horse and pointed in Tarlyn’s direction. Tarlyn sighed. What have I gotten myself into now?
I might as well show myself, hooded so as not to alarm these “waela rivvin”(Foolish Humans).

Tarlyn flips his cloak hood up and emerges from behind the tree, hands free and at his side, moving into the open, heart beating slightly.
In the common tongue he speaks to them “I am a traveler and have merely lost my way. Might you show me the way to Shadowdale?”

The first man frowns at Tarlyn’s words, then speaks in a broken common “Why do you hide under that hood, stranger? I sensed you from up the road there. There is no need to be afraid we are the militia of Barovia and are patrolling this road for rumors of a pack of hungry wolves. Show yourself, I bid you and be amongst friends”.

“Barovia? What part of Faerun is that, might I ask?”Tarlyn concentrates a moment and his face changes to that of a surface elf. He removes his hood slowly, then leaves his hands by his side, showing no hostility whatsoever.

The man, as well as the rest of the band, gasp, except for the robed one. He seems to ponder a moment, then disembarks as well, laying a hand on the first man’s shoulder.

“You are far from home, elf. And not everyone is as welcoming or open minded, for that matter, as I am. I am Yugov Petrova, practitioner of the arts, and elf friend. Who might you be and what are you doing so far from Sithicus or is it Darkon?”

Tarlyn doesn’t recognize those names at all. “I am Tarlyn, that is all you need to know for now.I know not of these places you speak of. Is it always so foggy and misty in these parts?”

“Mists you say? That may explain why you are here. Come, ride with us, let us get “acquainted”. Yugov speaks to the first man and he embarks on his horse. “You may ride with me, the men won’t let you ride with them, they think elves uncivilsed and unworthy of any assistance, rather filthy to be exact.

Just to emphasize his point, one of the riders spits on the ground at Tarlyn’s feet, scowling at him and laughing amongst his band.
Tarlyn looks at Yugov and says “Might I earn some respect here?
I am very skilled with these” as he pulls back his cloak to show his 2 blades on each hip. Yugov ponders a moment and speaks a few words to the spitting man. The man’s eyes go wide as his look darkens and he disemebarks from the horse. He stands , legs apart, and removes a two handed sword sheathed at his back. He spits in both hands and grips it firmly, going through a very sloppy routine, trying to impress and scare Tarlyn by his grunting and growling.

Tarlyn stood in front of the man, bowed, and it seemed as if his blades appeared in his hands! Tarlyn beckoned the man, taunting him by letting his weapons hang by his sides, yawning in forced boredom. The man, eager to split Tarlyn’s skull in 2, raised his two handed blade, yelling out and charging Tarlyn, thinking brute force was the way to go. At the last moment, Tarlyn steps aside, his blades flash twice, and the man’s pants fall to the ground, pooling around his ankles. The man’s eyes go wide a moment then he growls as he picks up his pants, tying them with some rope while Tarlyn waited, leaning on his blades lazily. This shall teach them all a lesson, filthy humans.
The man rushes Tarlyn again, but this time his blade is low. When the man is close enough, Tarlyn moves inside the mans’s reach, his blades flashing. Once! Twice! Tarlyn steps back, a smug smile upon his face as he watches the man frown a moment, unsure of how his breath is coming shorter and why he cannot lift his sword. He then drops it as he falls to his knees, a stunned look on his face, as his throat runs a crimson red, hislife leaving his body. Tarlyn moves forward and places his foot nonchalantly on the mans chest and pushes him to the ground, lifeless eyes staring off into nowhere.

Gasps and Ooohs and Exclamations erupt from the band. Tarlyn looks to Yugov who is smiling wickedly. “I think you can take his horse, Tarlyn, the wolves will have an easy feast tonight”. The men nod at Tarlyn approvingly and leave him the horse.

Over the next few weeks, Tarlyn traveled with the band and Yugov, proving his worth tenfold and teaching them a few tricks.
Yugov and Tarlyn exchanged tales, and even though Tarlyn was a Dark Elf he had no choice in the matter to accept his situation. Every once in a while his dark elf nature would emerge but, the brigands and wolves suffered the consequences! Tarlyn learned that he was not in Faerun anymore but in Barovia, he also learned from Yugov that there were other provinces in this land, but Yugov knew not how to get there(or more precisely hadn’t tried Tarlyn suspected).
Months turned to a year and one evening, early summer, Tarlyn spoke to Yugov.”You say there are other provinces? I’d like to visit this strange land of yours. I have searched the area where I appeared many times but found no sign of the entrance to the Underdark there. I might find a way home via another province, Yugov. On the morrow I part down the road to the border of Barovia. Thanks for your help these past months, and you’re not too bad for a human”.

The next morning Tarlyn walked down the road to the edge of Barovia.(I guess Strahd was feeling somewhat wistful this morning as Tarlyn passed through the border of Barovia into a barren land. Nothing much here looked even alive or had been for years it seemed. After a few hours he saw in the distance an abundant flourishing forest. Heading that way, he passed from the dreary place into the forest. It was afternoon by the time he was into the forest, and Tarlyn for some reason felt a surge of urgency, like he had to get through the forest before nightfall at all costs. His subconscious was telling him to get the hell out of here fast, but don’t turn back its useless!

[i:q4nkfrx4][b:q4nkfrx4]June 20th,756 BC Kartakass[/b:q4nkfrx4][/i:q4nkfrx4]

Near nightfall, and after having heard wolves howling all afternoon, Tarlyn was actually glad to see an opening in the forest and lights in the distance! Pulling his cloak tight around him he started walking towards the lights in the distance. Continuing on the road he walked tiredly, head lowered. He heard a commotion in the distance, growling and scuffling, a man screaming. Tarlyn, knowing that most wolves he’d encountered in Barovia were not of the normal variety, wasn’t expecting to see anything different in this province. Rushing forward he unsheathed his blades and was not expecting what he saw at all. He came upon a huge wolflike creature hovering over a screaming man, his eyes red as he looked back at Tarlyn, a wicked smile as it turned towards him and on 2 feet ran towards Tarlyn.

What in the name of all that is unholy is this manner of beast. I’ve only heard rumors of lycanthropes from my studies at the Priest school in Chad Nessad, but nothing prepares you for the real thing, even if I am a dark elf.

Tarlyn braced himself as the wolfcreature leaped at him growling, mouth foaming. Tarlyn dropped to the ground, rolled to his back, and thrust his two blades up, skewering the beast as a
Shot rang out, startling Tarlyn and making the beasts eyes go wide as it howled in double pain! It landed on its side, howling in rage and pain. Tarlyn stood up to see the man holding a smoking arquebus in his hand, the other clutching his stomach, grimacing.

Blades still out he approached the beast, as it appeared to be shrinking? Tarlyn kept his blades out as the beast seemed to convulse and shrink even more, becoming less a beast and more a woman?

What in the 9 hells is this? They transform, how interesting. Well it won’t live any longer, my blades will see to that.

Tarlyn looked at the man, and nodded, looking to his blades then the woman, nodding once more at the man, sure the man understood. He sliced twice, in perfect strokes, beheading the woman. He then wiped his blades on her dead body, searching her for anything of value, but finding nothing.

“My thanks, stranger”, the man said to Tarlyn in a quivering voice. “You came upon me just in time. Caff…. Caff….Caff… I am
Pietro Ovonovich, Cough ….. Sputter…..” his eyes go in and out of focus, and he falls to his knees. “Get me to my home, stranger, and I shall be in your debt. Cough,,,,, sputter,,, cough,,,,,,,
It is the first house we come upon on the left there” he points it out to Tarlyn and proceeds to fall to the ground unconscious, slumping like a dead weight to the ground.

Tarlyn shrugs as he tosses the head into the forest , then pulls the dead body into the forest as well hiding it behind some foliage. He returns to the dead man, examining him closely. He appeared to be injured on his abdomen and was bleeding profusely. Tarlyn got to one knee and reaching into his pouch pulled out one of the potions Yugov had given him. Why must I be nice to this human, Tarlyn sighs inwardly. I sure do miss Chad Nessad, this land must be Llolth’s little joke on me.
Well let me cure him and see what may come of my “kindness” to this “wael”(Fool).

Tarlyn quickly uncorks the vial with his teeth. As he pours the potion down the man’s open mouth, he massages the throat with the other hand’s fingers so he doesn’t choke. Once it as completely down his throat, the man coughed once, eyes wide, then fell asleep.

Tarlyn noticed that the wound was almost completely healed. Searching quickly, he spotted the “gun” and put it in his pouch, then grabbing the man by his underarms, Humans smell terrible, I’ll never get used to the odor! , he uncermoniuosly flipped him over his shoulder. Steadying his feet for a good center of balance with the man over his shoulder, Tarlyn trudged tiredly to the house Pietro pointed out. Not knowing what to expect as it was after dark, and he knew that in Barovia after dark meant nobody let you in no matter what. Trying the door, not bothering to knock at that, Tarlyn breathed a sigh of relief as the door opened, as he just realized there were no lights.Kicking the door closed behind him in the process. This meant Pietro lived alone or if he did have a wife or “friend” they were either asleep or not home. This bode well, as Tarlyn was in no mood to try to explain this mess. Concentrating slightly, dancing lights appeared in the home, and Tarlyn found what he was looking for, a bed. He lay Pietro there none too gently, and breathed a sigh of relief. Taking a few moments to relax his aching muscles, he looked around the home. Seeing a lantern, he got up and looked or oil as well. Seeing none, but looking closer at the lantern he saw it was full. Good! I’m in no mood to start looking for oil for this fool. Looking around the place he saw a fireplace, but no wood. A cold storage box was on the west side of the home, near the back by another door. The firewood must be outside, near the door. Tarlyn grunted as he got up. Listening at the door, he heard nothing, so cautiously opening it, he peered into the gloom, his eyes adjusting again to the night. Indeed as he suspected, there was the wood, stacked against the home. He quickly grabbed a few logs and returned inside as he heard in the distance howling wolves, almost seeming as if it was a strange song of mourning.
I must be really tired to think wolves sing. Tarlyn closes the door behind him and using his flint and steel, starts a fire. Looking around some more he spies a chest, a modest dresser and another door. Oh well that can wait till the morrow, I am exhausted, and there will be ample time tomorrow to speak with this Pietro. With that Tarlyn removes a bedroll from his traveling pack, laying it on the floor and collapses on it. He fell asleep right away.

The next morning he woke to the smell of eggs and some meat cooking. Lost for just a moment, he then remembers where he is and what happened last night. Pietro was whistling a very annoying ditty about some lass from Karg. Tarlyn slowly opens his eyes and stretches , looking around. “I thought I’d let you sleep, friend elf. I am making some eggs and bacon, would you care for some? I also have some goat’s milk too if you like” Pietro said cheerily, he whistles and hums a bit more. “So, what do I call you? I seem to remember telling you my name, it’s oly fair you tell me yours”, Pietro says this to Tarlyn with a smile.

Tarlyn yawns as he stands up stretching a little, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, and shaking his head clearing the cobwebs of sleep. “I’m Tarlyn and that is all you need to know. I did save your life after all. Yes I will have some food, I’m starving. Um, where am I and what was that beast last night?”

Pietro stops humming and gets a serious look in his eyes. Pondering a moment, he breathes deeply, then starts talking as he serves Tarlyn who had by that time sat at an old beat up table.

“Well you are in the village of Pel, which is situated in the country of Kartakass. Here you have 2 things: The Forest and the Bards! There is nothing else, oh and lots of wolves and things like we killed last night. There seems to be an abundance of that here as well. She was the Burgermeister’s wife, who unfortunately was stricken with a strange fever a few weeks ago and last night was the end result of it all, unfortunately for her. Only silver can kill a beast like that, unfortunately, and I had to trade, scrimp and sell many favors to the villagers to procure myself some silver bullets. By the way have you seen my pistol? I think I may have dropped it back there last night”. Pietro finally stopped talking enough to let Tarlyn get a word in edgewise.

Tarlyn reached inside his pouch and pulled out the pistol, handing it back to Pietro. “Silver you say? Hmmmm I’ll have to remember that”, Tarlyn eats a bit, as does Pietro. Tarlyn continues “ There are Bards here in Kartakass? Might you be persuaded to introduce me to any? As you know”, Tarlyn explains as if talking to a child. Well in all actuality he speaks like that to everyone who isn’t drow, come to think of it. “Bards can have a wealth of information, and information might be useful to me in getting back home, Pietro”. Tarlyn finishes his plate as does Pietro, the silence welcome to Tarlyn. Hmmm I certainly hope I’ve seen the last of those beasts. I’m not looking forward to meeting anymore at all. Pietro seems a decent enough human except for the smell and he talks too much. I do hope I can meet some Bards and maybe get information on how to get back home from this land. Once they were done eating, Pietro stood up, as did Tarlyn. “Well we must travel to Harmonia this day if you wish to meet Bards. Too bad it isn’t next year, as there are contests of singing which happen once a year in Harmonia. You just missed it. People travel from all over Kartakass to go see the Bards sing and to sing as well!” With that, Pietro grabbed a bag and tossed it over his shoulder. He tucked the pistol in his trousers, and reaching under his bed he removed a sheath, attaching it to his belt at the hip. “Well, no dilly dallying Tarlyn we must make good time if we wish to get there before sundown by horse!” And with that, he bolted out the door and walked down the street. “Close the door behind you!” he yells back. Tarlyn does, then catches up to Pietro. They arrive at an old barn and proceed inside. There are a few stalls and Pietro approaches an elderly gentleman, who upon seeing Tarlyn, swallows and blinks. Pietro talks to the man as Tarlyn waits near the door, and finally after some loud voices and the fact that the man finally calmed down at seeing an elf, they must have agreed because the old man went and got 2 horses and handed the reins to Pietro. Along with saddles and riding bags. The man even smiled shyly at Tarlyn, who nodded politely to him. 5 hours later they were tethering the horses at a stable, Pietro tipping the stableboy. “Let’s go find us a bard!”

Over the next few weeks, Tarlyn and Pietro traveled all over Kartakass, meeting bards and scholars. Tarlyn had his fill of singing very early on and learned to block out the human’s miserable attempts at music and song. Tarlyn didn’t learn much from the bards. He did however become quite proficient at killing wolves as there seemed to be an abundance of the foul mutts in Kartakass and they never seemed to want to leave him or Pietor alone when they traveled. Well a few weeks turned to a year and Tarlyn, once again bid farewell to another Domain and traveled to Sithicus briefly. Here he slaughtered a few elves upon which the mists came and brought him to Darkon.

[i:q4nkfrx4][b:q4nkfrx4]June 20th,758 BC Darkon[/b:q4nkfrx4][/i:q4nkfrx4]

Tarlyn quickly discovered how much he really hated undead here, and the only thing that kept his remotely sane was the elves here. He was more careful here playing with the elves, hardly killing any(By his standards).

[i:q4nkfrx4][b:q4nkfrx4]April 760,BC Souragne[/b:q4nkfrx4][/i:q4nkfrx4]

The next thing he knew, he was walking in a godforsaken swamp, and his memory returned. Where have I been and what am I doing here? Is it always this hot in this province? And the mosquitoes are enough to drive even the sanest insane. Upon emerging from the swamp, Tarlyn tried a different approach before he entered the settlement he saw in the distance. Concentrating slightly, his form shifted into that of a human of Barovia. Maybe that will make my acceptance easier. Why must the people of this land hate the elves so? It must be the land’s joke on me I suppose I’ll never understand. Upon entering the village, an elder man who was rather well dressed approached Tarlyn. “Pardon me” he whispers to Tarlyn “But we don’t see many of you in these parts, I’d be careful if I was you, friend elf” the man winks at Tarlyn then his eyes go wide as he looks at Tarlyn closely. “You are unlike any elf I’ve ever seen before!” the man exclaims excitedly. “Please, you must come with me. Are you as good with those blades as you are black?” he asks Tarlyn bluntly.

Tarlyn sighs inwardly. Am I to be this man’s object or toy? I will follow him for the time being, but if he tires me I’ll be gone.
“Yes I can use these blades very well indeed, otherwise, old man, I’d not have them would I? You seem to have a fine eye for such an old man, are you a mage?” Tarlyn asks bluntly.

“No no, I’m no mage, I only dabble, dear elf. Now what do I call you?” They arrive at an establishment, and upon entering are approached by a man. “Yes Mr.Rivtoff, une table pour 2?” he asks.

“No, Gaston, bring a meal for 2 to my quarters, thank you. This gentleman will be around quite a bit now, please, anything he needs, do offer it to him on my account, thank you.” And with that Tarlyn followed Mt Rivtoff up the stairs and to a very lavish room. “Come in, sit! Sit!”he motions to Tarlyn to sit on a sofa and then sits as well. Tarlyn approaches the sofa and sits , waiting for more questions he could almost feel it.

“Your name for starters, and where are you from. The Brothers would so love to study you I fear! But you’re my little secret for now.”

Tarlyn groaned inwardly at the Rivtoff.Who were the Brothers? Must I beware of them?And why is he so excited about me?

“Well first off I am Tarlyn, which is all you need to know for now. I am a Dark Elf from Faerun, which I’ve discovered is not part of this land at all. I came to this land”, Tarlyn thinks hard a moment “I believe it was 4 years ago to a province named Barovia via what I call mists. This has happened to me twice since I arrived to these lands as well. I left this elf settlement Har Thelen in a province I knew not the name and it brought me to this province with so much undead creatures. I have a hard time remembering this place but I think I spent a few years wandering it and only recently, having again traveled the cursed mists, did I find myself wandering the swamps here for days upon days. I finally got my memory back as I emerged from the swamp. Upon entering the village you spied me and you know the rest.” Tarlyn stops talking, and sits back, letting his revelation sink in on Rivtoff.

“Well Tarlyn that is quite a tale you have there, although I’m positive you leave some out. Memory loss I have heard of but that is all. The mists are the mists, let us leave it at that. I however offer you this: Employment as my bodyguard. Free run of the town, do be a little careful, people tend to be wary of newcomers, especially elves. I must depart for a few days so you may visit the town. I warn you , when we speak you address me as Sir or if you speak to one of my “brothers” about me I am Lord Rivtoff, is this clear?” He hands a pouch over to Tarlyn, dropping it in his lap. This is yours, your first payment for services rendered and information gained. Now I must be off, get yourself a room and I shall contact you in a few days”.

“It is clear Sir” Tarlyn stresses the Sir so to show he understood the old fool. He gets up and nodding politely to Rivtoff, leaves, closing the door behind him. He goes down the stairs and heads for the desk at the entrance. “Pardon me my good chap, would you be so kind as to get me a room and put it on Lord Rivtoff’s bill. Thank you Gaston.” Tarlyn follows Gaston up to his new room , gets settled and then leaves, going to visit the town as “George the Barovian”. A few days later at the Inn he meets Dadrag……………………………………………………