Dark Moon

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Dark Moon

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

[color=#00BF40:25dzzzdl][i:25dzzzdl]Darkness. For one such as I, the knowledge that I am in darkness gives me some hope. I can actually register the absence of light. Curious thing, I haven't know I was in darkness for a very long time. He must be near then, to break the bonds placed upon me by my brethren. Hardly matters though. I should probably get out of this darkness, and rejoin the light of the world I was denied. Yes, I think I very much should. Before it comes to a crashing end, that is.[/i:25dzzzdl][/color:25dzzzdl]

[t:25dzzzdl]An unremarkable cave, simply a hollowed out section of the earth complete with the beginnings of stalagmites and stalactites. And yet within this cave, in the middle of a small underground lake rested a coffin. Dust and cobwebs shrouded the wooden box, like wispy chains meant to keep the occupant at rest. A soft breeze softly played across the top of the coffin, just enough to ruffle the spider webs, and send the dust dancing in the moonlight coming in through a small fissure in the ceiling of the cave. Suddenly the top of the coffin flew open, sending a spray of dust and tattered cobwebs into the air, momentarily obscuring the coffin and its inhabitant.

[t:25dzzzdl]When the dust settled a small man sat in the coffin. For several seconds, the human sat motionless, except his eyes, which darted about the room in a frenzied manner. With several nasty sounding cracks of his joints the man stood, and climbed down from the coffin, and rolled his head, drawing even more cracking sounds from his neck. The dust settled in a thick layer on his head and shoulders, blending in with the white hair that hung in a tight braid down to his waist. The man reached back into the coffin, and pulled out a black package. With a flick of his wrist the man unrolled it, and picked up the wide brimmed black hat that fell to the ground. With a crisp motion, he fastened the clasp on the wrappings of the hat, and it was instead a large cloak. Placing the hat on his head, the man stepped forward... and stopped dead in his tracks, his foot inches from the water of the lake surrounding his island. And angry hiss escaped his lips, showing the fangs in the man's mouth.

[t:25dzzzdl]The vampire's gaze once more traveled around the small tomb, searching for some way to cross that devilishly devised contraption. A wry smile twisted his lips, once again revealing the fangs, and the man began to fade from sight, transforming into mist, and flying up to the fissure, and out into the world beyond. After pausing for a few seconds the mist solidified into a bat, and flew off towards a small and lonely light, a camp fire, at the base of the mountain.
"Yer a fool, dragg'n us out 'ere to this stup'd town. Ye kno there ain'nothin 'ere to easily pillage. We 'ave to watch fer da guard e'ery time we wanna so much as take a piss." A bald headed man was saying, gesturing angrily across the fire towards another man, who's head was wrapped in bloody rags. "Yer damn good proof of it. Watch'ya get caught doin' tried to rob a lord's caravan?"
The bandaged man shook his head, obviously tired of the conversation. "Ahh, but yer daft I say. I'm to be leadin' this group, an' you know even hurt like this I can take the likes of ye."
[t:25dzzzdl]The bald man shook his head, but didn't disagree with the wounded leader. Angrily, he pushed some coals closer to the flames, and let the conversation end at that. For several seconds the only noise in the camp was the steady crackling of the flames. Suddenly, a branch snapped behind the bald man, and he turned his head towards the noise on instinct, and saw a wolf darting behind a tree. With a shake of his head, and with a wry laugh, he turned back to the fire. He turned right back around though, when he saw his companions snap to attention and draw their weapons.
[t:25dzzzdl]A thin man, his body hidden under a large black cloak, and his head hidden under a wide brimmed black hat. He walked slowly, but purposely towards the camp fire. The light illuminate his gaunt features, and painted his hair and skin a red hue.
"Greetings, fellow brothers of the night. I could not help but see the light from your fire, and I thought I might spend the night within the safety of your camp."

Confused murmurs broke out amongst the bandits, they had sentries posted, and yet none had noticed this man enter the camp. The bandaged leader stood up, and waving his hand to stop the talking, he said to the dark clothed man, "Certainly, yer welcome to spend the night in our camp. Although we are poor men, and have little to offer, howe'er, if yer willin' to pay..." His men stood up, and weapons glinted in their hands, "Sadly fer ye, our food is very expensive."

[t:25dzzzdl]The man smiled, and his canine teeth were much longer and sharper than the others, "I think I can afford it." The bald man saw the fangs, and scrambled back, his eyes open wide with fear. He shakily raised his hand, an accusing finger pointed at the man, "Va... vam..." The newcomer squatted down, arms resting on his knees and finished the man's word for him, "Vampire? Mmm... you are in trouble then, aren't you?"
[t:25dzzzdl]In one fluid motion, the man leaned forward and used the forward momentum to send a fist into the man's face. The power of that punch sent the man tumbling head over heels into the campfire, where he lay motionless. The leader stood up, drawing a gleaming sword, and raised it above his head, rallying his men to attack the vampire. Within moments, the dark garbed man found himself in a steadily thickening circle of sharp blades and clubs. Calmly the man turned, and took off the hat hiding his face and placed it on the ground, "Now, I would appreciate it if you would avoid stepping on it, a memento of the Basilio family."

[t:25dzzzdl]"Get'im, he's just one man. The killer gets the spoils." Yelled the leader and the ring of bandits charged at Benedetto. He vanished under the press of onrushing bodies, and the leader smiled wickedly,certain of the kill. "Hmm... now, how would I deal with that mob? A true conundrum..." Said a voice just behind the leader's ear. "Oh yes, well I suppose I could just transform into mist and get out of there." The leader felt cold hands unwrapping some of the bandages, and felt fangs piercing the vein in his neck. As the vampire drained the blood in his body, the leader faintly tried to alert the mob in front of him to his plight, but it was too late. The man collapsed on the ground, dead. Benedetto wiped the blood off his lips.
[t:25dzzzdl]Benedetto placed his hat back on his head, and turned to face the three people he had decided to spare. The three stood motionless, their eyes glazed over. "Now then gentlemen, lets go and get my coffin."

[t:25dzzzdl]He waved a hand, and the three men followed him, leaving behind their dead comrades and followed Benedetto back to his cave. They group made it back just as the edge of the sun was clearing the horizon. Benedetto waved at the crack, and his thralls started digging with their daggers, clearing away the dirt and stone, making the crack bigger. Checking behind him at the sunrise, Benedetto dissolved into smoke, and flew down into the cavern, waiting for the sun to set.

[t:25dzzzdl]The enthralled people kept working through the day, pausing only to eat the grass that grew in the vicinity of the tomb. By the time the sun had set again, the men had dug down to rock, and were banging on the stone with the hilts of their weapons, now nothing more than useless slivers of steel. Benedetto once again swirled out of the tomb in the form of mist, and seeing the lack of progress his minions were making, he let out a sigh of exasperation. With a wave of his hand, Benedetto commanded his thralls to follow him down the mountain path, back down towards their camp.
[t:25dzzzdl]Benedetto set a fast pace, and the thralls were unable to keep up. Therefore, he was able to pick around their possessions and confirm that the bandits had nothing with which to break past the stone surrounding his tomb.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Re: Dark Moon

Benedetto sat on an empty crate. The bandits he had happened upon had nothing with which to free himself. He looked up at the sky, and saw that the moon was almost completely eclipsed. A smile crept upon his face. On the night when Selune was fully hidden, Benedetto could use Shar’s power to cloak himself for the coming day. Benedetto turned and began making his way back to his tomb. Soon he and his minions crossed paths, and with a wave of his hand, the other two began to follow him back. Those two no longer served a purpose, and Benedetto was so hungry...

[t:2yp3i7w4]The guardsmen were on edge. The monthly caravan from Silverymoon was due, in fact several days past due, and the the people of this newly built town, hit particularly hard by the Spellplague, the caravan was one of few lifelines. Therefore their tense reaction was to be expected when only two riders came up the rode. Both wore dirty and worn over-cloaks, their steeds were well muscled, and trode with an easy gait. The horses had seen battle, as evidenced by the scars that crisscrossed their flanks. One rider had his hood thrown back, his fair skin, light brown hair, and pointed ears marking him as a high elf. The other rider wore his hood low, hiding his face. Seeing the walls of a city, the elf nudged his companion, and both spurred their horses faster. As the elf and his companion neared the walls, an arrow arced down and thudded into the ground in front of the hooded man. Immediately, a hand snapped up, fingers dancing in arcane gestures. However, the elf moved just as quickly, his hand clamping down on the fingers, interrupting the spell,
[t:2yp3i7w4]“Please, calm yourself. I am sure it was meant only as a warning.” The elf calmly told his companion.

[t:2yp3i7w4]The hood shifted as the head underneath turned to regard the elf. Wordlessly, the hand retreated back under the folds of the cloak. The elf swung down from his saddle of his light brown steed, the motion revealing a set of gleaming mithral chainmail under the over-cloak. Howerver the armor paled in comparison to the scimitar that was strapped to the waist of the elven warrior. The hilt was set with blue sapphires and gleaming red rubies. It obviously must have cost a fortune, and looked more at home on the mantle piece of a noble, rather than the sheathe of an adventurer. “Well met, I am Tael Marriwiolq, and my companion is Jherall. We have heard that this good town has had some troubles with bandits in the area, and we wish to help you in this regard... if you pay the promised reward.” Tael announced to the dumbfounded guards. As the elf spoke a side door in the gatehouse opened, and a trio of pike wielding men rushed out to stand between the elf and the gates. While the guards didn’t make any overtly hostile motions towards the elf, their pikes never left the level of his chest. Tael hardly paid them any heed as he continued.
“Now, if you would please allow my companion and I to talk to the commander of this town’s guard, we can quickly be on our business.”
“ ‘Ere elfie, we ain’t said we are acceptin’ yer help.” Called down an old man, likely the commander of the guard, “We be settin out fer our caravan, get ye gone from me walls.”

[t:2yp3i7w4]Tael opened his mouth to respond, however the trio of pikemen on the ground took a menacing step in his direction. The elf took a step back just as the humans moved forward, staying well out of their reach. So fluid and graceful were Tael’s movements that it seemed as if the world flowed forward around him, and he simply stood in place. To their credit, the men were well trained, and didn’t let their weapons dip, nor their surprise distract them. Keeping his hands easily visible, Tael snuck a glance over his shoulder to Jherall, making sure he wasn’t readying to join the fight. Jherall sat relaxed on his horse, a faint smile just visible under the edge of the hood, the man was enjoying the nervousness of the humans, and found this situation amusing.
[t:2yp3i7w4]The elf turned back towards the elderly commander, “Might we not accompany you?...” A clumsy thrust of a pike interrupted his words. Tael easily sidestepped, and in the single fluid motion, drew his scimitar, cut the head off the pike, and sheathed his weapon. All this happened in the blink of an eye. The guard dropped his now useless stick, and fumbled with his blade before drawing it. The two remained men with polearms leveled them at Tael and charged at him, soon joined by their sword-wielding compatriot. In their eagerness, none of them noticed the elf draw his scimitar and, calling out an Elvish word, leap high -impossibly high- into the air. Tael landed a dozen feet behind the trio of confused guards, and raising an open hand at them, he called out a mystical phrase in Elvish. The men with pikes suddenly found themselves face down on the ground, as Tael’s enchantment took effect, magically glueing their feet to the ground, and letting their momentum do the rest. Behind Tael, Jherall chuckled at the spectacle, thoroughly amused by the spectacle the elven duskblade was putting on. Even from along the wall came murmurs of praise for the grace and skill of the elf.

[t:2yp3i7w4]The man with the sword managed to shake off the spell, and growling with anger and defiance, he charged Tael, sword held high for a deadly chop. Tael calmly set himself into a defensive stance, anticipating the wild swing that was sure to come. Sure enough, the guard viciously cut down at the elf’s guard, trying to barrel through to hit the lithe form. Tael calmly lifted his scimitar, hilt high, letting the curve and angle of the blade redirect the energy to the right. However, Tael wasn’t done, stepping under his blocking blade and rotating his left leg, pivoting on the right. He disengaged, to allow him to duck under his own blade, coming up behind his off balance opponent. A gasp of awe ran through the guardsmen on the wall, for everyone could see that the elf could strike at the unprotected back, head, or neck of the guard. Only Jherall and the old garrison commander were smiling at the mastery of the elf, for the latter had realized that the elf had been showing off for his sake, and that the guard wasn’t in any real danger.

[t:2yp3i7w4]Tael turned back to the old commander, “Did you enjoy the show?” The elf wasn’t even breathing hard, unlike the man who lay on the ground just a couple steps behind, trying to dislodge his sword, “I hope we have proven valuable assets.”
The commander shook his head, “Aye, ye can help us look around. We could use a blade like yours in out garrison, so long as ye lend it.”

[t:2yp3i7w4]Minutes later, Jherall and Tael set out again, back the way they came, with an entourage of guardsmen and the old commander of the town, Karson. The party didn’t ride long before Tael noticed horse tracks leading off into the brush, along with the deep ruts usually left by a wagon. The party pressed on, following the signs until they came upon a campsite, clearly several days old and abandoned. The wagon lay not far from the fire pit, stripped down mostly for firewood. Most of the provisons, however, were undamaged so Karson sent a pair of guards running back to the village, Jaartmouth, to get a new wagon. None of the group noticed the small bat flitting about the camp as night settled over the Silver Marches.
[t:2yp3i7w4]Benedetto watch as the pair of guards hurried off back towards the village, and bat wings beating hard, he overtook them easily. Transforming back into his human form, he lay down by the road, and waited for them to pass past his body, doing his best to appear like the victim of bandits.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Karson was confused. The two guards had been gone barely ten minutes before they came back, carrying some man in rags. They had told the commander that this man had been attacked by bandits, and might have some information on the group that had been terrorizing the region. Karson had sent them off again, but he did notice that the two guardsmen hesitated a bit longer than usual, as if waiting for external confirmation of his order. However, now the two were gone, and Karson had to deal with this unwanted addition to their group. Since Karson had no priest with him, this mysterious man would have to do... His thoughts were interrupted by a commotion. It seemed the man had sat up, looking around wildly. Obviously he was lost, his mind not sure where he was. Pushing past the gathered group of guards, he knelt next to the man and was soon joined by Tael. "Calm yerslef lad, yer safe." Karson told the man, placing a hand on his shoulder to steady him. Karson noticed the man's long white hair, and the callouses on his hands and feet, obviously this one had seen combat.

Zyeke
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

As the man leaned over him, Benedetto opened his eyes. It was a tiny fraction of an inch, but that was all the vampire needed to use his hypnotic powers. The compulsion hit Karson full force, and though the seasoned soldier tried to fight, his opponent was a very ancient vampire. Karson's will crumpled and was ground to dust before the iron grip of Benedetto's mind. The garrison captain stood, and commanded the men to pick up their camp, and return to the village. Silently, the guards packed up their gear, and following the commander and Benedetto the guards returned to the village. Jherall and Tael were in the back of the group, their horses walking, easily pacing the foot-soldiers. The elf's cloak hid his mithral chain, and Jherall was hidden under his usual large cloak. The trip to the village passed in silence, the addition of Benedetto not sitting well with the other guards. The man looked sickly and pale, yet he was riding with practiced ease, or so it seemed to Tael. Tael's thoughts were troubled. He had felt something pushing against his mind, telling him that the injured man had been a good friend. It had been so faint, that the seasoned duskblade, who had spent almost two centuries honing his mind as well as his sword-play, had been able to shrug it off with barely a thought. But he was still troubled. Enchanters were rarely well meaning people, and Tael had known enough to have a healthy respect for them.

[t:2r5zur29]Quietly, the elf told Jherall what he had felt, using the silent hand-cant the two had adapted from the drow. Jherall simply took in the information, and if the hidden man had any response, Tael could not imagine what it was. So the elf simply shrugged, putting the matter out of his head. By nightfall, another group had been sent out, to scout the area for any of the missing supplies from the caravan. The only thing they found was an ancient tomb, one that no one had known about until this night. The next day, a group had been sent out to excavate it, personally accompanied by Karson. The only thing the group found was an old sarcophagus, along with some ancient scraps of parchment. Strangely enough, only the sarcophagus was brought back, and it was placed into the dungeon, but the door was not locked. It seemed as if it was placed there to be forgotten. By the end of that day, the coffin had been forgotten, and Benedetto had become accepted into the village. Strangely, Karson seemed to be rarely seen without that strange man, and insisted the newcomer be a part of the guard, even given a small squad to lead. After a few whispered theories that the man might be more dangerous than he let on, it seemed the residents of Mish village were accepting the savior who had located their missing caravan. Karson himself gave a long and illustrious speech about how Benedetto single handedly defeated the vile group of bandits who have been plaguing the area for many months. Strangely, non of the guards actually present disputed this story, and the villages were more than happy to open their doors to the great hero Benedetto.

[t:2r5zur29]Jherall spent the day locked in their room at the inn. Karson was content to leave them be, so the hooded man hardly left his scrying pool. The Jherall stood over the basin, his eyes searching for something. Tael was content to simply let his mysterious friend do as he always did. The elf sat by the window, his chain mail lying on the bed, neatly folded. His ornate scimitar was always hanging on his hip, the belt hodling up loose elven made pants, and a flowing cotton shirt. The elf's narrow focus into magic did not extend to divination, an he was not skilled in scrying. In fact, he had precious few spells outside of the evocation school, but Tael accepted that limitation happily, as his limited magical repertoire complimented his fighting abilities perfectly. The elf lightly hopped off the windowsill he had been sitting on, thoroughly bored with his ever silent traveling companion.
"So how long are you going to spend in front of that bowl of yours. Honestly, every day, you scry... something. A lover, perhaps?" The elf quipped, but when the hooded man rounded on him, the elf held up his hands and smiled, "Come now, it was a simple jest..." but his words were cut off, when the other man raised a gloved hand.
"They are all dead, my people. I had a woman I loved there. Do not make light of my past, elf. You and I both know that the outcome of any fight between us would not be certain, but if you anger me further I just might throw caution to the wind." From under the hood came a bright orange flash with each spoken word, as if the man hidden under the hood had flames within his body.

Zyeke
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

For several moments, there was silence in the room, as the elf waited for the hooded man's response, and vice versa. With a small laugh, Tael stepped past his companion, and grabbing his cloak from a peg on the wall, he walked past the threshold, "I shall enjoy this day, since it is a shame to waste the sunshine and fresh air. Keep yourself locked in here, if you so choose." The duskblade walked lightly down the stairs, glad to be out of his chain mail, and out in the noontime fresh air. The elf had to squint his eyes, due to the brightness of the day, but he did not cover his eyes, enjoying the sunlight. Tael, despite the fact that he had spent little time with his elven brethren, was still very respectful of elven customs and traditions. As the elf walked, he heard much praise for the commander of the militia, along with the man the group who had been sent to recover the wagon had brought back, who's name was Benedetto. No mention was being made of Tael or the hooded man he traveled with, and while this seemed a little strange to the elf, his mood was not to be soured by loss of fame in a small village. As he made his way to the town square, where the recovered supplies from the caravan were being divided by a pair of guards amongst the inhabitants of the village. The elf did note that the guards were moving a little too rigidly, and they did not joke or smile to each other, nor to the people to whom they gave the caravan items. To the elf, who had spent many years living in human cities, he had never seen humans behaving so mechanically, and so he quickly whispered a spell to detect magic.

Zyeke