The Moonlights Shadow

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Kaori followed Anya and Hallesia as they trailed behind Shir’le and her acolytes who guided the floak disk into the sanctum. The huge bronze double doors swung open without a sound as Shir’le approached. Bhaeryn was just a step behind her, subtly interposing his body behind hers in case of a rear attack Kaori noted professionally.

She paused as she came to the entrance to the sanctum. From inside she could her many female voices, all lifted in a wordless song. It was ethereal, floating and harmonious the most achingly beautiful thing she had ever heard. Soaring hope mingled with painful loss, joy pure tempered with crushing sadness embodied the wordless song. Kaori felt deeply moved as she stood there listening to this hymn to life and the goddess. A gentle touch on her hand caused her to break out of her reverie, Hallesia smiled at her, knowing the effect of the song on first time visitors to the temple. Kaori let her take her by the hand and led her inside. Bhaeryn stood by the entrance to the sanctum, his eyes never leaving Shir’le.

They walked down a wide lushly decorated vaulted corridor which had paintings of various drow women dancing and revelling. The corridor opened out into a huge domed space. Soft faerie light, blues greens and reds danced about while on the western side, the afternoons golden sunlight streamed in through massive windows which ringed the base of the dome giving the interior of the temple a glorious radiance. A dozen drow females, all completely naked, holding silvery longswords whirled and danced while singing the wordless hymn. Another eight femles, these ones holding their swords in a guard position, stood in alcove recesses in the walls of the sanctum, their voices echoing in counterpoint harmony with the song being sung.

“私は夢を見たにちがいない ,” she mumbled in awe as she stopped and gaped up at the dome which seem to be floating on light.

In the centre of the Sanctum was a round alter upon which was a 12 foot obsidian and silver statue of a naked drow woman with a long sword poised in mid dance. So life like was the sculpture that Kaori thought it seemed to be about to suddenly spring into a graceful dance. Another gentle tug caused her to be gently pulled over to where Shir’le and the acolytes had guided the disk which Masako rested. They carefully lifted her off the disk which dissolved away into nothingness and placed her on a large white marble dais. S soft pillow was placed under Masako’s head and the acolytes stood back whilst Shir’le took position at Masako’s head, lightly placing her long delicate fingertips on her forehead. The acolytes along with Anya and Hallesia joined hands around the dais in a half circle, lifting their voices to join the song. Kaori stood back and watched as Shir’le closed her eyes and joined in the song.

[in drow] “Goddess, I beseech thee, show us your sign so we may see your glory once more,” sand Shir’le. She focused her minds eye on the human woman in front of her, softly reaching out with her own mind to touch hers.

The sounds of the song faded and all became silence.

She found herself standing in an unfamiliar room. The floor was made of polished dark stained wooden floor boards and the walls were painted a soft hue of red. In front of her was a white lattice screen door. She could hear the sound of trickling water flowing over rocks from behind the door. She reached out and slid open the door revealing a beautiful courtyard garden with pure white gravel artful swept into swirling geometric patterns broken up by large golden coloured rocks. A series of black stepping stones made a winding path to a small open pavilion in the centre of the garden. Lush ferns, flowering shrubs and trees, all carefully and tastefully arranged dotted this exquisite space. A small pond nestled against the far wall of the courtyard garden from which trickled a small waterfall, splashing lightly onto moss covered rocks.

In the pavilion sat a figure. She walked slowly to along the path, pausing momentarily to savour the serenity of the place. It was like nothing she’d ever seen before. She made her way to the small wooded steps which led into the little pavilion. Seated inside was Masako dressed in a gorgeous silk kimono. Before her was a small table on which was a tea pot and three cups. There were three places to sit at the table. Masako looked up and smiled at Shir’le. She stood and bowed low.

“I am honoured to meet you High Priestess. Please, sit and take some tea with me,” she said gesturing for Shir’le to sit on one of the plush cushions in front of the table. Shir’le sat down gracefully while Masako knelt, leaning gently to one side where a small kettle lightly bubbled over a tiny brazier of hot coals. She poured the boiling water into the tea pot then with a bamboo whisk, swirled the tea before placing the lid on the delicate porcelain pot. The aroma of the tea with heavenly. With delicate poise, Masako poured a tea into a small bone china cup of superb craftsmanship and with both hands offered the cup to Shir’le who took it with a smile. She sipped the hot tea, revelling in its unfamiliar yet wonderfully delicate taste. She set the cup down carefully on the table and looked back at Masako who regarded her with a serene smile. The only sounds that could be heard where the splashing water and the gentle rustle of leaves as a zephyr of a breeze blew by.

They sat in silence for a long while before Shir’le finally decided to take charge of the situation.

“I am here looking for signs of my goddess. It has been said that she brought you to my world.”

Masako nodded slightly.

“Well? Where is she? I do not see her here? What messages did she tell you?”

Masako remained silent. Shir’le felt a sense of growing frustration.

All this time she had been alone, her goddess slain and her followers left helpless against the forces of the dark. And now she had been told that a human woman had somehow been touched by the goddess yet was refusing to speak with her. It was becoming almost too much to bare.

“Please, tell me. I must know,” she begged.

Masako remained impassive.

Shir’le’s shoulders slumped in helplessness. She felt the hot sting of tears in her eyes.

“Goddess, why have you forsaken me? I have been walking alone in darkness these long years. I haven’t felt you by my side when everything was black. Defeat and sorrow are all we expect, the joy has gone from the song.” She began to cry softly. Masako reached over, tenderly wiping Shir’le tears with a silk cloth.

“Look at the gravel Shir’le. Do you set two sets of footprints there?” asked Masako. Shir’le, wiping her eyes looked outside and saw the footprints in the gravel. She realised she was seeing the path of her life was being mirrored as two sets of footprints, one set made by her and the other by the goddess. She saw that the times in her life where there was the greatest defeat, anguish, heartache and despair, only one set of footprints could be seen. She was deeply disturbed by this revelation. It seemed that her goddess had abandoned her during these crucially difficult times. She looked at Masako in despair.

“The goddess promised me that if I followed her, she would walk with me always. Yet I observe that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints. Why, when I needed her most, was she not there for me?"

A change came over Masako. Her features blurred, her golden tanned skin transforming slowly to shining black. Her long jet black hair became luminescent silver and her eyes glowed with a kindly light. Shir’le sat in wonder as Eilistraee appeared before her.

“Shir'le, my most loyal, faithful and beloved daughter, can you not see the truth? Look carefully at the times when you see only one set of footprints, the moments when you suffered the most and despaired. You will see beloved daughter, those where the times I carried you in my arms,” said the goddess as Shir’le began to weep. All the anguish and loneliness, the burden of being the last High Priestess flowed out of her. The poison within her soul, the doubt and fear all flowed away. She felt the healing gentle touch on her cheek. Her spirit soared in exultation, she had be reborn, made anew.

“Goddess, forgive me,” she said humbly as she bowed low.

“There is nothing to forgive daughter. I was laid low by my enemy, crippled, blinded and cast out into the astral void to drift endlessly. She thought that was a fitting fate for me.”

“But…but how? How did you come to be here? In the body of this girl?”

“It seems that what my enemy had in mind and the fates were two different things. The humans from Masako’s world have lost the art of magic. They instead use raw power and machines to achieve many great things. All the creatures of magic, including all of elven kind have long since vanished from their world. They were experimenting with dimensional travel, trying to form portals in which to pass quickly through. It was one of these portals, which opened up in the astral void near me which enabled me to glimpse their world and find a way to send a piece of my essence through. It was strange and bewildering at first. I inhabited the body of a scientist called Sally Hollingsworth.” Shir’le blinked at the strange term. The goddess saw this and reached out, touching Shir’le’s mind, sharing the experience of her time on Earth. In an instant she understood everything. She collected the memories, experiences of the lives of both of the women Eilistraee had touched, Masako and Sally.

She sat in silence as she processed this incredible revelation. The human world of Earth was both a wonder and a terror. Nuclear weapons, the images of the mushroom cloud, something which Masako greatly feared and despised made her tremble. Such power in the hands of mere mortal men! The history of the world, as seen from the perspective from these two women, was tragic. Wars of genocide, of shocking slaughter and cruelty. Indiscriminate bombing of innocent people in cities, suicidal death crazed fanatics who use their religion as a pretext to wage terror on innocents. Yet within all this, there was such wondrous beauty. The garden in which she sat, a memory of Masako’s home in the land of Japan was only a tiny example. She heard fragments of music, songs and melodies that were timeless and evocative. There were acts of sacrifice, compassion and love that equalled or in many cases overwhelmed the acts of darkness and evil. Eilistraee nodded as she watched her High Priestess learn about Earth. Shir’le came out of her reverie and focused on the goddess.

“The Earth is a wondrous place daughter. Masako is a fine example of the people there, as are the other humans that came here with her. I have plans for that world but for now, they must wait.”

“Command my Goddess, thy will be done.”

“Thank you daughter. Yes, now to the plan. This body is all that sustains me here on our world. Masako has agreed to become my avatar here.”

Shir’le blanched slightly. A human female carrying the essence of Eilistraee? Unthinkable! The goddess frowned at Shir’le.

“Stop that Shir’le, it is beneath you to think that a human woman is not worthy of being my vessel. There is no choice in this. This woman knows what she has been asked and had eagerly accepted the burden. She does this not for her own gain but to help you and our people with my return. You must understand that my manifestation, my believers are not located on one single world but stretch to many different worlds within the multiverse. It is here though, that I stand the best chance of regaining my foothold and Masako will help us with this task. However, I must not reveal myself or manifest my power unless it is absolutely necessary else it will attract the attention of the enemy and we will be undone.” Shir’le nodded as she listened intently, her resolve stronger than ever.

“Long ago, before the enemy drove our people into the depths of the world, both here and on other worlds, there was a place where great magics and mighty arts were practiced. It has long since faded into myth and obscurity but I still know of it’s location. The ruins of the once proud city of Bhoedil’Lhae, which lays far off to the east of here, has a sealed vault within which contains the means in which to return my body from the astral void. However, 3 artifacts will be needed to complete the spell and ritual which will activate the portal in the vault. We are fortunate in that we already have one of them here.”

Shir’le blinked in incomprehension. An artefact of power here on the grounds of the temple? She’d have sensed something like this already. Eilistraee laughed lightly.

“Ahh daughter, still you have lingering doubts. The artefact is the sword which my statue in the sanctum holds. It only reveals its power when it is wielding by one who is the vessel of a god. Otherwise it appears as an ordinary silver blade. The other two artefacts are the Chalice of Life and the Sphere of Supremacy. I do not know the location of these objects and can not use my sight to locate them as it will alert the enemy. More direct and mundane means must be used to locate and secure these items before we can travel to Bhoedil’Lhae. We must also be cautious. There are deities here aside from the enemy who would covert these artefacts for they represent power that can be wielded against other deities. We can only trust my Father and the followers of the human god, the Golden One.”

She paused as she reflected that even her elven sisters in the Seldarine would be sorely tempted to seize the artefacts for their own use and she shuddered to think of what any of the gods who revealed in evil would do.

“I understand and will see that your will is done. This is a great day and there will be much rejoicing amongst the faithful goddess. Your return will lift many hearts here in the valley and what was once a dark black night will feel your luminous glow once more. Eilistraee nodded with a kindly smile.

“I am glad of this. Daughter, know that it was your faith that sustained me out in the void. If you had not been my rock, without your keeping the faith alive here, I would have slowly dissolved into the ether and become no more. Yet please, no massive celebration else we may attract hostile eyes.” Eilistraee begged off.

“Very well goddess but still a sign of your return is all the faithful require.”

“They already have it,” she said with an enigmatic smile. Shir’le felt the dream world around her dissolve and flow away. Her eyes opened and she found herself back in the temple sanctum, her hands still lightly touching Masako’s forehead. The song of praise had ceased and she looked about in confusion. All of the priestess and acolytes, along with Kaori, Anya and Hallesia where staring at Masako in reverent awe.

Shir’le looked down.

Before her was no longer a beautiful Japanese woman but now a mixture of human and drow. Masako’s hair had turned to silver and her skin had darkened to a shining coal black. Her facial features of an asian woman remained relatively the same but her ears had taken on the elven point. She glowed with a silvery radiance and slowly opened her eyes. Her once soft brown eyes now shone with flecks of shining silver. She smiled up at Shir’le who fell to her knees in supplication. All the drow and Anya followed her example except Kaori who stood dumbfounded.

“Masako?” she asked in a tiny voice. Masako/Eilistraee sat up slowly and turned to smile at Kaori.

“It’s still me Kaori-chan. I have become more than what I was. I accepted this willingly as this is a great thing we will be doing for these people. You always said you wanted to be a part of something special, to serve a destiny. This is your chance my friend.” Masako/Eilistraee stood up slowly and walked over to Kaori who was softly crying.

“Hush hush, there is no need for tears. I am still here. I have merged with a goddess Kaori. Imagine that! All those manga comics we used to read as young girls, all those stories we shared late at night at school, well we are a part of them now and we can make our own stories. I promise you everything will be alright.”

She hugged her friend warmly, lightly caressing her hair. Kaori looked at Masako/Eilistraee’s face, gazed deep into her eyes and saw her friend looking back at her. With a sob of relief she hugged Masako/Eilistraee back fiercely.

“I thought I’d lost you,” she whispered.

“Never old friend, I will always be with you.”

Masako/Eilistraee gently let Kaori go and turned to regard the central statue of herself. She held out her right hand and ever so slightly concentrated. The statues hand holding the sword slowly opened, loosening it’s grip on the huge silvery blade. The sword began to shine, radiating white light as it drifted down and over into Masako/Eilistraee’s hand. She took it lightly. The weapon was as large as the woman holding it. She narrowed her eyes and the blade began to shrink down in size till it resembled the dimensions of a long sword. She twirled the weapon in effortless grace and began to dance, levitating up into the air. A song of pure uplifting joy which started with Shir’le and was taken up by the rest of the faithful rang out, reverberating from the walls of the sanctum.

The goddess had returned.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

It was late in the afternoon. William was unpacking his backpack when he heard an excited hubbub of voices outside his room. Folding his spare uniform and leaving it on the bed, he stepped outside into the hallway. Mike and Consuela where looking out the windows at the drow women who were rushing about with ecstatic and exuberant smiles.

“What’s got them all giddy?” asked Mike.

“Beats me? From the look of them, you’d think their sports team had just won a pennant or something. Look at ‘em, they’ll be doing cartwheels in a moment,” quipped Consuela. William moved over to the doorway to get a better view. He could hear the women shouting and singing. Many had tears of joy on their faces. It was exasperating not knowing what was going on but at least his hosts were in a happy frame of mind as he stepped outside. Vincent, Mike and Consuela had followed William out into the courtyard area of the guest quarters. A few familiar faces came up to them, babbling at them with joyous smiles. Much to their surprise and amazed delight, the soldiers found themselves being suddenly hugged and kissed by the drow women.

“Captain, did we win a war for them or something?” inquired Consuela as another drow woman embraced her, kissing her cheeks and hugging her again. She smiled politely and disengaged herself from the drow girls quickly.

“Who cares? I’m just happy to be a hero!” yelled Vince with a wolfish grin as he was being mobbed by three gorgeous drow girls, all taking turns to kiss and hug him. Mike and William kept a level of decorum. They smiled and hugged the girls who came up to them but refrained from getting into the heavy passionate kissing that Vince was now engaged in with his bevy of beauties.

“Bugger me sideways with a pitchfork. I lay down for five minutes and wake up to see you yanks stealing all the glory! Fucking typical seppos, always late to get into the action yet always taking all the fucking credit,” cursed Duncan as he emerged from the sleeping quarters with his men plus Junchiro. “So what happened eh? Did you sell the first McDonalds franchise to our hosts and say peace in our time? Is the first Starbucks opening any moment?”

William gave Duncan a friendly sneer. “Ahh blow it out your ass aussie! It’s just that these women know true heroes when the see ‘em. They aren’t fooled by you reprobate bunch of sheep fucking convicts.”

“Sheep fuckers! That’s New Zealanders you ignorant yank! As usual, the Americans proudly display their lack of intelligence and understanding of geography. It’s a bloody miracle you know where your arse is to wipe it!” retorted Harry as Duncan and the others guffawed good naturedly.

“That still does not answer the question as to why our gracious hosts are so deliriously happy with us,” said Junchiro, refraining to take part in the jibing and teasing.

“Yeah, you’re right there Jun. As nice as it is to be treated like a hero, I’d like to now what it is we’ve supposedly done to deserve this,” said William as he took a bottle of wine from a giggling drow girl. “C’mon team, lets do some recon and find out what is going on.” He took a small swig from the earthen-ware wine bottle. The cool wine was rich, sweet and spiced and it was like nothing he’d ever tasted before. He passed it to Mike who had a long drink from the bottle.

“Hey look guys, there’s Gieselle & Ysolte,” said Harry as the two drow bard girls came running over to them.

“You all come,” they said in halting English as they grabbed William and Mike, pulling them along and gestured for the rest of the soldiers to follow them.

“Sure girls, we’ll follow you,” said Mike amiably as he took another long swig of the honey sweet wine. A warm feeling of came Mike as he was led back over to the Temple courtyard. Must be the booze he thought in a mildly detached frame of mind. It was like being stoned he thought. Man I haven’t felt like this since high school.

The courtyard was a riot of celebration. Over a hundred drow with a scattering of humans, male and female were dancing around the spectacular fountain from which now gushed sparklingly clear flowing water. The detritus of dried leaves and twigs had vanished and the stains and wear were gone. A number of musicians played a spritely melody with a throbbing drum beat which the drow danced to. Globes of multi coloured glowing lights floated about in the air. Many of them sang, their voices blending in joyous harmonies. Above of all this, high in the air danced the goddess.

“…fuck me…” breathed Duncan as he stared incredulously at the glorious figure dancing in the air. She was totally nude, her dark skin glittering and glistening and her hair shone out like a blazing comets tail. The soldiers stopped and stared in awe struck wonder.

“Well that’s something you don’t see everyday,” mumbled Harry with wide eyed wonder. A few of the others nodded in wordless agreement.

“Isn’t that Masako?” asked Consuela as she caught a glimpse of the goddess’ face.

“What?” “Eh?” “Nah, can’t be,” where the confused mutterings of the soldiers as they gawped like country yokels at the dancing goddess. She moved with effortless sublime grace, her dance enthralling and thrilling to watch. The spell was broken as Kaori danced out of the throng and skipped up to where William was standing, a huge excited smile on her face. Her hair as dyed silver and she’d striped down to her underwear.

“Comrades! Masako will be really pleased to see you,” she squealed gleefully as she danced and hoped about. She looked back up at the dancing goddess.

“That’s Masako?” asked Duncan dazedly blinking. “What’s happened to her?”

“Something truly wonderful Duncan-san, something magical!” she sang as she leapt back into the dancing throng. Duncan frowned slowly. This had gone from being amazing to disturbing. He looked closely at Masako as she danced, her steps bring her closer to where they were standing. Aside from her face, she had completely changed. Her skin was like the drows, her hair even longer than before and it appeared she was taller as well. He lowered his head as he felt a sharp pang because the woman he once loved was now something else…something alien.

[Don’t be sad Duncan, I am still here. The woman who you knew as Masako and loved you is a part of me] he heard inside his head. He looked up and saw she was floating directly in front of him. She reached out and gently caressed his check. A flash of imagery exploded in his consciousness as he saw both Masako and Eilistraee standing side by side holding hands, both smiling serenely. A sense of peace and forefilment radiated from both women, infusing Duncan with a sensation of tranquillity.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

In this state of restful contentment, he thought [Who/what are you?].

[I am both Masako and Eilistraee. I am the avatar, the representation of a goddess made flesh Duncan. The woman you knew as Masako has become the vessel in which the essence of Eilistraee can survive. This was the only way she could return to this world.] replied the avatar.

[I just don’t understand,] he thought.

[It is alright Duncan, we knew it would be hardest for you to accept. Masako freely agreed to merge with the spirit, to become something greater than what she was. We knew that the change would be irrevocable, it is a worthy sacrifice.]

[…I see. Oh Masako-chan…I had hoped that one day we may of…] he faltered in his thoughts, a feeling of loss and dejection encompassing him.

[Do not despair Duncan, I am still here. I too had believed in a future for us yet the one constant in existence is that things change. I have changed, I accept it. What I have become will do far more good for more people than you could possible conceive. Please Duncan, it is what I/we want. Be happy for me and remember the love we shared as you will always be close to my heart.] The goddess smiled at him. He looked at her with a sad sense of resignation and after a moment let go of the memory of a woman he once loved and thought he may marry one day. She felt the change within him and shared his sense of that passing for a moment.

The avatar softly kissed Duncan on the lips. His eyes rolled back as he slipped into blissful unconsciousness. The rest of the team snapped out of their dreamlike state, all except for Mike who had joined in with the dancing throng with reckless abandon. They looked worriedly at Duncan but before they could speak, the avatar spoke,

“He is unharmed. My kiss overwhelmed his senses. He will be fine in a day.” Her soft musical voice resonated deeply in their ears, penetrating to the core of their being. William frowned as he shook his head, clearing it.

“Masako, what is going on?”

“I am part of a greater being now William. I am an avatar of a goddess! It’s wonderful!” she laughed joyous as she leapt into the air and began to dance once more. The worshippers saw their goddess ascend and gave a rapturous shout and burst into a new hymn of praise. William stood there uncertainly. Nothing he’d ever trained for had prepared him for this situation. He suddenly saw his Gunnery Sergent dancing with his shirt off, swilling from the wine bottle.

“My god, Mike?” he asked rhetorically as he watched shaking his head.

“It seems your Sergent has had too much elfwine Captain Jefferson. Perhaps you should let go and join him,” said Anaya with a giggle as she suddenly appeared next to him. She held out another one of the wine bottles, offering it to him.

“I don’t think so my lady. I’ve never known Mike to behave like this,” he said as he watched the hardened marine veteran leap and whirl about without any inhibition. “What is that stuff?”

‘Elf wine? Ohh..it’s a magical drink…ohh…I should have realised it’s effecs are more pronounced on humans. Oh dear…I will have to make sure Sergent West is looked after,” she said. She quickly sang out in drow, “Sisters & Brothers, look after the large human male, he’s never drunk the wine before. Make sure he finds rest when he is overcome.” She turned back to William, “I’ve told them to look after Sergent west. He will be treated kindly.”

“Magical hooch eh yer ladyship? Sounds like the ticket for us. When in rome…’n all that,” said Harry with a whoop as he grabbed a bottle from a tittering drow girl and gulped down a few mouthfuls. “Wooo…..blimey! talk about sweet…bleeeh…oh….wow….I think it’s beginning to work,” he said as he staggered into the dance. William rolled his eyes. Only Consuela and Junchiro had refrained from drinking the potent wine.

“Alright guys, lets take Duncan back to quarters. If either of you want to party on, you have my permission…for what it’s worth,” he muttered as he and Junchiro lifted up the unconscious form of Duncan and carried him back to the barracks. Consuela followed them as did a tipsy Anya. She handed a bottle which seem to just appear in her hands.

“How do you do that?” asked Consuela in amazement.

“Magic!” Anya beamed at her with a merry twinkle in her shining bright blue eyes. “here, have some of this, you will begin to understand,” offered Anya as she handed Consuela the wine bottle.

“No thanks…I don’t drink Lady Anya.”

“Oh? Why not?”

“I have my reasons,” she replied with a conversation ending tone and strode off leaving Anya feeling slightly confused.

“Was it something I said?” she asked William as she skipped up after them.

“No. She just do not approve of alcohol or drunkenness. She may tell you why one day, but that is for her to decide, not me.” William propped up Duncan as Junchiro opened the door and they carried him in.

“Oh…I see…I shall be mindful of this. Do you imbibe of intoxicating substances then Captain or do you refrain?” she asked as they dumped Duncan onto his bed.

“I will now,” he replied as he took the bottle from her hands and took a large swallow before handing it to Junchiro who drank deeply.

“With your permission Captain, I will go and join the party,” said Junchiro with a slight slur as he snapped off a salute.

“Sure, knock yourself out Jun,” he said with a amused smirk. The Japanese soldier hurried out a little unsteady on his feet.

“What about you my gallant Captain? Do you not wish to join in the celebration?”

“I would much rather sit under one of those fine trees outside with this bottle of wine and look at the stars. Enjoy your party Lady Anya.”

“I think I too have had enough of parties for now. Your idea sounds much more delightful. You can tell me about your world. I want to learn all about it William.”

“That’s the first time you’ve called me by my first name,” he remarked.

“Isn’t that what friends do?” she replied with a smile. He returned her smile as they walked out into the evening air. Anya, reached into a pouch on her belt and pulled out a rug which she threw down on the grass under the tree.

“Magic eh?” grinned William. She just smiled.

They sat down together under a large willow tree sharing the bottle of wine, talking and laughing the night away. The stars wheeled overhead and the crescent of the moon rose just before the dawn.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

It was just before dawn when Duncan began to wake up. The last thing he could remember was being kissed by the goddess before everything went white and then nothing. A cool morning breeze was lightly moving the curtains that softly danced in front of the open window. He was under the covers of his bed and had no idea how he got there. The next thing that he became aware of was another presence in the bed with him, something soft, warm, smelling faintly of flowers and alcohol. He blinked blearily, trying to focus in the early morning gloom. He realised that his arms were wrapped around the smooth soft, definitely female figure in bed with him as they were coupled together in a spooning position, his groin pressed into a shapely pair of female butt cheeks.

Oh Christ, what the hell is going on here? All traces of tiredness vanished instanly as he became suddenly very awake and aware of his situation.

He slowly raised his head up and saw a dishevelled mass of silvery blonde hair and that all too familiar dark coal blue black skin. It couldn’t be Masako, could it? Ever so gently, he brushed the hair away from his unknown bed-mates face. It was Uluvae. She appeared to be fast asleep, gently breathing with a faint smile on her lips.

Oh bugger, I’m screwed now. Hallesia will have my balls for sure now.

Just as he was contemplating all the possible ways in which the drow woman could deal out hideously painful methods of castration upon him, Uluvae rolled over and woke up. She blinked, rubbed her golden amber eyes then regarded him for a moment. He was painfully aware that she was naked as well as they lay together in bed.

“Vendui ssin'urn,” she said with a sultry smile and a playful look in her eyes. “You sleep well yes?”

“Umm…ahh…yeah…sure…just grand. Ahh Uluvae…did we…I mean…did I…umm…did we…do anything…last night…..you know….anything?” he slowly stammered to her growing enjoyment. Oh sweet Jesus, he became accutely aware that his bladder was full and he had the morning glory in full bloom.

“Aside me taking off your clothes and putting you to bed? I like that. You very pretty man, very handsome,” she said as she lifted the coveres and admired his naked body. “You sleep good, you snore as well! Very hard to sleep! Noisey!” She poked out her tongue at him playfully. “But we can do anything now. You ready now…I feel you ready,” she added with impish grin as her hand slithered down under the covers towards his groin. He shied away from her reach.

“Ahh…that….yes...ahem [embarrassed cough] please forgive me, I didn’t mean to…umm…excuse me ‘Vae…I have to pee…very urgently,” he said as he backed away from her, edging his way out of the bed. She pouted with disappointment.

“You pee then come back to bed!” she commanded imperiously. She watched with delight as he grabbed a blanket and dashed out of the room. Her merry giggles followed him out into the corridor.

“Fuck fuck fuck…I’m fucked,” he breathed as he tried to remember were the toilets were. Bollocks! He had no idea where they were and he was now busting to piss. “Fuck it!” he muttered as he stepped gingerly, wincing as his bare feet stepped on the cold sharp gravel. He spied some shrubs against the wall of the sleeping quarters. He hobbled over to them and unwrapped the blanket and sighed in relief as he began to pee.

“Gu'e dos, vel'bol xun dos talinth dos ph' xunin?” came an angry inquiry from across the courtyard. Duncan yelped and jumped in surprise, desperately trying to stop peeing. He could hear the sound of someone approaching fast. Oh cock, I’m for it now he thought darkly.

“Usstan said vrine'winith rivvil, dos tonaik l'thi!” barked an angry old looking male drow as he grabbed Duncan by the arm causing him to send a stream of hot steaming urine flying everywhere. The elderly male drow yelled in disgust as Duncan tried to apologise to him.

“I’m sorry mate but I just had to take a piss,” he tried to apologise to the livid male drow who looked like he was going to attack Duncan with a pair of garden shears he was holding. Bloody marvellous, this guy must be the gardener and I’ve just gone and pissed on his prized bloody roses.

He could hear over the furious tirade of the old male drow in front of him, hysterical laughter coming from the direction of the gardens. He looked over and saw that William was doubled over, bellowing in helpless laughter. Anya was barely controlling her giggling at Duncan and Uluvae, wrapped in a sheet had poked her head out of the door to see what was going on. She burst into giggles once she saw what was going on. The old drow male continued to berate him. Duncan's patience snapped.

“SHUT UP you stupid old bastard!” roared Duncan at the drow as he glowered darkly at the suddenly shocked elderly gardener. He stepped towards the elder drow male who raised the shears up defensively. The blanket which Duncan had wrapped around himself got caught on the bushes and came away leaving him stark naked. William howled even harder in convulsive laughter at the ridiculous figure that his friend presented. Even the old drow male smirked at Duncan as he was now vainly trying to wrap the blanket back around him but had pulled off a few thorny twigs in the process.

[in drow] “Ssordrin, please excuse this human,” Anya gamely managed before she too lost it laughing as Duncan screamed in pain as some of the thorns pierced his buttocks as he treid to wrap the blanket back around his body. He flung it away angrily.

“Sod this, I’m out of here. Bollocks to the lot of you!” Duncan, gathered the shredded remnants of his dignity and strode off naked back to the barracks leaving William, Anya, and Uluvae all shrieking with laughter in his wake. Ssordrin chuckled dryly as he wandered off to fetch a bucket of water to wash with and water his flowers.

Muttering and swearing, Duncan slammed the door to his room, dropped the latch and hobbled over to the nightstand were a jug of water was standing. Wincing as he splashed himself with the icy cool water, he cleaned himself up as best he could. He could still hear laughter from outside. What a way to start the day.

He quickly pulled on his clean uniform pants, a T-shirt, put on his boots and sunglass and headed out the door. Uluvae was just about to knock when she saw him dressed. He dodged around her and ran out of the sleeping quarters.

“Duncan? Where you go?” she called out after him. He continued to run at a fast pace, disapearing around the corner. She was about to run after him when she was stopped by William.

“Don’t go after him Miss Uluvae, he’s in a bad mood right now and needs to go for a morning run. You chasing after him will not help things,” explained William. “Besides, you are only wearing a sheet, not the thing to go running in now is it?”

“Not go after Duncan? Oh…ok. He come back yes?” She looked at William hopefully.

“Yeah, our boy will be back, don’t you worry about that. Just let him run for now.” William paused as he regarded the scantily clad drow girl in front of him. He turned to Anya. “I think you’d best handle this, I don’t want to be misunderstood.” She nodded and beckoned Uluvae to follow her back into Duncan’s room. William walked back to his own room and shut the door after he went in.

[in drow] “Uluvae, did you spend the night with Duncan?” she asked.

“Yes Anya but we did not make love. I snuck in after you and William left. Duncan was unconscious on top of the bed. So I decided to put him to bed properly,” she replied hesitantly.

“By that you mean you stripped him naked and got into the same bed with him?” Uluvae looked at the floor.

“We didn’t do anything. He was not responsive at all,” she muttered defensively.

“Uluvae, do you realise what you did was wrong? He was unconscious and vulnerable and you took advantage of that. Now we both know that males are weak and mostly think with their little head but at least they are able to think and make that decision themselves. What you did was taking advantage of a man you seem to care for and use the state he was in for your own selfish pleasures. That is not what you would want to happen to you now is it eh? How would you feel if you suddenly woke up in a strange bed with a naked man you and had no idea how you and he got there hmm?”

“…no…I wouldn’t like that,” she said in small voice.

“No I do not think that you would. Now can you see what you did was wrong?” Uluvae gave a small guilty nod. Anya seemed satisfied with that. “Uluvae, I know you like this human and feel like bedding him but he has to want that too.” Uluvae smirked.

“Oh he did Anya, I could definitely tell he did. He was pressed against me, his body was saying yes,” she said with a girly coquettish smile.

“I have no doubt of his physiological responses my girl, however he was confused and it was plainly obvious that he needed to urinate as well.” She giggled along with Uluvae as they recalled the recent incident.

“Ssordrin was most upset that Duncan had pissed on his prized flowers wasn’t he?” laughed Uluvae.

“Oh yes. I am sure he is now telling Shir’le all about it. What ever possessed Duncan to pee out there? Doesn’t he know where the privy is?”

“Oh…I don’t think I showed him where it was yesterday,” gasped Uluvae with dawning realisation of her mistake. “Oh…this is all my fault. He will be angry with me now.” Her face fell and her shoulders slumped.

“I doubt it. Just show him where the bath house is and where the privy’s are when he gets back. And make sure you tell the truth to Hallesia as well about this. She is worried about you. She wants the best for you, you know.”

“Yes…I know.” Uluvae looked abashed again. “I’ll clean up his room and get him some food for breakfast.”

“Yes, that’s a good start my girl but don’t be here when he gets back. Let him be for a while, he has things to think about, something’s you do not know about yet.” Uluvae frowned slightly on hearing that new piece of information. She wondered what it was and became determined to find out what it was. Anya stood up and walked over to the door. “I will see you at morning service Uluvae, don’t be late.”

“Yes Anya,” she said obediently as she began to bustle around the room, remaking the bed and putting Duncan’s dirty uniform into the laundry hamper. She wrinkled her nose distastfully as she held his socks at arms reach, dropping them into the hamper. Humans can be very smelly she thought. That’s a good reason to wash him regularly she decided with a nod.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Mike West woke up with a cracker of a hang over. He rubbed his gritty eyes, blinking as he assessed his situation. He remembered being swept up with the euphoria of the wine he drunk, and boy did he drink a lot of it. Groaning he slowly sat up dislodging an arm that was draped over his chest. Looking to his left he could see a naked drow female laying face down was passed out next to him. She murmured drowsily and rolled over, pulling the blanket they’d been sharing over her shoulder and went back to sleep. Around them were his clothes and scattering of wine bottles. He groaned again as he tried to recall the scattered images from the night before.

He scratched the rough stubble on his chin and looked again at the woman he’d slept with. Well there go the marriage vows he though with a bit of chagrin. He’d definitely made love with this woman, that at least he could vividly recall. He remembered bellowing and whooping like a lunatic and her screaming out in passion in her own language as they made wild drunken love for most of the night. He stood up, fumbling for his pants and cursing as the room spun alarmingly. He fell with a thud back onto the sleeping mat disturbing the dozing woman. She rolled over and cracked open a bleary eye, glaring at him.

“Alu rath ulu v'dri mrannd'ssinss,” muttered Lledrith thickly.

“Huh? What was that miss?”

“Usbyr doer rath ulu orlingg xor alu tarthe,” she moaned as she rolled back over, snuggling under the covers.

“Yeah, sure…whatever. Well…it was nice…I suppose.” He stood up again, staggered over to the door of Lledriths room wincing and shading his eyes as he opened it. The sun was just over the horizon. The beautiful morning was lost on him as he discovered he was terribly thirsty. He closed the door gently and gingerly headed over to the sleeping quarters.

“Hey Mike old son, you kick a goal last night too eh? Get a bit of the old leg over ‘n chips hmm?” leered Harry as he wandered over, his arm wrapped around Ysoltes slim waist. She grinned at Mike.

“From the sounds of things he kicked more than one Harry. I bet he was playing for the whole team. Jeeze the noise you too made. Anyone would have thought he was killing Lledrith in there. Hell there were bets being made on who could yell the loudest, you or her!” Matt chuckled as he walked over to where they were standing. Gieselle was wearing his uniform shirt and nothing else.

“Christ, not so loud,” winced Mike as he rubbed his forehead trying to ease the headache.

“Nah mate, can’t top your performance last night. That was legendary!” chortled Harry. “Me ‘n Ysolte tried but we were no match for you.” He winked at Ysolte who snuggled up under his arm.

“Man that was one fucking good party!” declared Vince as he sauntered over with drow girl under each arm. “Guys, this is Dhaunae,” he nodded to the girl under his right arm, “and this is Rauva.” He beamed proudly. Mike regarded Vince with a jaundiced eye.

“Two? Sweet Jesus Vince, how did you manage that?”

“I have to let you in a secret Gunny, when we’re back in the world on R&R, I do porn flicks for a few extra bucks. Once you’ve done a few, satisfying two women at the same time becomes easy as apple pie, ain’t that right girls?” He kissed them as they giggled. Mike shook his head. His life had been turned upside down and inside out. Here he was stranded on a world in another dimension screwing with alien dark elf girls. That was bad enough but now he had cheated on his wife, a woman he’d been faithful too for over 20 years. He felt lousy and didn’t share in the sexual machismo pride that his fellow soldiers were displaying.

“I gotta go guys, I ain’t feeling to good right now. I think today will be a rest and recovery day for everyone. Don’t leave the compound.” He made sure the guys understood he was serious. He could see anyway they had no intention in wandering off when they had willing girlfriends to play with. He left the group behind, the drow girls babbling to their male partners and each other in their own incomprehensible language and the guys trying to make themselves understood to them through sign language.

Making his way across the wide lawn in front of the temple he saw that there were a few more drow wandering about although there were still a couple here and there passed out still drunk from the previous night. A couple saw him and grinned widely at him. Great, he thought, they must have heard me and Lledrith. Vowing never to touch booze again, he curtly nodded and increased his pace for the sleeping quarters.

He arrived and headed straight for his room. Digging in his backpack, he searched for his first aid kit. With a grunt of satisfaction, he pulled out the plastic box and looked for the aspirin and Berocca. He located a goblet on the night stand and plopped 4 aspirin plus 2 Berocca in before filling it with water.

“Heavy night eh Gunny?” asked William with a wry smile as he leant in the doorway.

“Too heavy sir, far too heavy. That drow booze, it’s like being drunk and high at the same time. I just lost control and went a bit nuts.”

“Well as long as you didn’t do anything stupid, I don’t really give a crap.”

“That’s just it sir I did, I screwed one of the drow girls. Lledrith I think it was. I’ve been faithful to my wife for over twenty years and through it all way on a drunken one night stand,” he replied morosely. He drank down his hangover cure cocktail and dejectedly flopped onto his bed.

“I see. The way I see it Gunny, is that we are stuck on his world and I have no idea if we’ll ever be able to get home. Lady Anya says there are means and ways but they are hard and dangerous plus it helps if someone actually knows where to look for our world. Look, I know that isn’t going to make you feel better, and if you choose not to repeat what happened last night, that’s your choice. Plus, if we ever get home, I won’t say anything, and neither will the boys. Now get some sack time and drink more water. I think today is going to be an easy one.”

“Aye aye sir,” he said as he lay back on the bed. William left the room leaving Mike with his rueful thoughts and throbbing hang-over.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Duncan jogged at a steady pace, running through the fields and forests along small trails and paths. He estimated he’d come about 8km from the temple compound and had followed a small nature trail which wound its way the lush countryside. Birds chirped and sang. Off in the distance he could hear the sounds of people getting ready to work their fields. Horses where harnessed to wagons and ploughs while hunting dogs yapped and barked as they were being corralled before a hunt.

He ran up a small wooded hillock and paused to catch his breath at the top. Looking about, he noted that the valley they were in was quite large and very fertile. A good mixture of forestry and agriculture with many large stands of what appeared to be virgin woods alongside neat fields with herd animals and cereal crops.

“Beautiful isn’t it Duncan?” He leapt about in shock and surprise. Behind him, lightly floating just above the ground was Masako/Eilistraee. “Oh, I am sorry. I didn’t mean to frighten you.

“Yes you did! You always loved making me jump you wicked wench!” she smiled faintly, amusement in her eyes. “So then, you’re some sort of goddess now eh? What does that mean to us? Can you wiggle your fingers, click your heels and say there’s no place like home and poof, we’re there?” he challenged.

“No Duncan, I can’t do that. As much as I would like to for you and the others, I have learned that you are special. Do you recall when we first arrived here and magic was used on you?” He nodded. “Did you note that it appeared not to work?” He nodded again. “It appears that due to the fact that magic has not existed on Earth for hundreds, maybe thousands of years, humanity has become immune to it. This consequence also has had an effect on my merging to become the Avatar. My powers are reduced. I am still quite capable of many things however I’m not at my full strength.”

“What does that have to do with us going home?”

“To the point as ever. The problem is that normally I and the wizards and priestesses here would be able to open a portal to send you back yet because I lack my strength and power plus the fact that each one of you acts like a magnet and repels most magic, it won’t be possible without extra help.”

“So what is this extra help then? Some sort of magic teleporter?”

“Yes, exactly that. Long ago on this world, a great civilisation thrived and used its arts and sciences to fashion many gateways that allowed people to travel between a multitude of worlds. You would understand them as quantum parallel dimensions, each existing side by side occupying the same space but on differing levels of reality. Yet all things have their time and the civilisation fell into ruin. Still, there are remnants scattered about this world, ruins and pockets of the lost art. I know of a place where we can find what we require.”

“Great, so we hope on a transport and make our way over there, fire up the device and presto, it’s time for beer and prawns?”

“If only it were that easy Duncan,” she sighed ruefully. “I have enemies here. Terrifying, powerful and ruthless and would see me dead along with all of you. We must be cautious and not try not to reveal my presence here else they may seek to strike at me and ruin any hope I have of saving my people from darkness.” She looked out over the beautiful lush verdant valley. “This is what I promised my people Duncan, “A rightful place under the sun awaits you”, a place away from darkness death and despair. My people deserve freedom Duncan.” He looked at her askance for a long moment.

“Sorry but it’s hard for me to hear that. Dam it Masako, only 24 hours ago you were unconscious on one of those floaty disk thingies! You were still you and now you’re really not even human anymore. I’m standing here talking what everyone says is a goddess who wants to do her version of Moses giving the finger to the bad guys and doing your own parting of the Red Sea! Jesus fucking Christ! It’s insane!” He was getting worked up, frustrations, emotions boiling up. He glowered at her, “I don’t even know what to call you anymore because you aren’t the woman I used to know that’s for sure!” He spun away from her, staring out over the valley.

She stood silently letting him vent his frustrations. Sensing he was finished for the moment she spoke, “Duncan, please, I know it is difficult for you seeing me like this but there was no other way. Yes I am no longer Masako, that is plain to see but the personality and memories of the woman you knew are all still here. I suppose I’ve become a blend of mortal human and divine drow.”

“Oh great, you’re the fucking messiah now eh? The Christians will love you, the holy ghost made flesh and all that superstitious bollocks!” She frowned, keeping her irritation in check.

“So what if I am? I could do so much better than all the religions back on earth. I am real Duncan! My word is power! On your knees!” As she spoke he felt himself being driven to his knees. Her eyes blazed as she drifted over to him. He groaned and strained to fight off her compulsion. Slowly he began to rise, his face flushed with the enormous of effort, sweat pouring from his brow.

“You….are….going….to…have….to…do.…better….than…that….” he gasped as he stood face to face in front of her. She was amazed at his ability to resist her compulsion and it was starting to place a strain on her. She could draw on more power but that would shine out in the weave alerting others to her presence. With a wave, she released him. He staggered backwards, gasping in huge lungfuls of air. She hung her head ruefully.

“Masako may be a part of me but Eilistraee is also a part of me as well and she isn’t used to having a mortal human being disrespectful to her. I/we are sorry Duncan. Please forgive us.” He cautiously regarded her. Part of him wanted nothing more to do with her, to tell her to go fuck herself and be done with it but what would that achieve? He exhaled with a long breath and wiped the sweat from his brow.

“Alright. I apologise as well. I’m not used to speaking face to face with a living breathing goddess you know? Sorta makes you a bit jumpy you know?” He paused then offered his hand to her. She hesitated.

“Careful Duncan. Last time I touched you, you were overcome. Do you want to risk that?”

“Meh…that was a kiss, one hell of a peck let me tell you too! Besides, being kissed by a goddess is supposed to send you to heaven isn’t it?” he grinned at her roguishly. She laughed, amused by his flattery.

“Indeed it should! So then Duncan, do you accept me know as I am?”

He nodded, still holding out his hand. She took it in hers. He felt a ripple of energy as they touched. His consciousness began to expand as his mind became subtly aware of the vastness of the being in front of him. The body he touched was merely a shell, housing but a fraction of the whole. It was both beautiful and terrifying, majestic as well as awesome. His mouth gaped and his eyes were wide in wonder as he began to see the lines of energy around him but his attention was brought back to the being in front of him. She was female personified, every aspect of woman, both nurturer and defender, lover and warrior. Tears stung his eyes as he felt his own insignificance being highlighted by being in the presence of this vast timeless all encompassing entity. He involuntarily feel to his knees, his head bowed as he began to weep. She placed her other hand on his head, sensing the emotional damage that lurked in his soul. She closed her eyes and focused her energies on healing him, lancing out the crippling cancer that festered in his psyche.

He felt his soul get lighter, as though he was almost floating. The rage and ache he had blocked out these past years was gone. He looked up at her.

“You are a goddess,” he said simply. She smiled at him, let go of his hand and stepped back.

“Will you help me Duncan? Will you help my people?”

“Yes, I will do my best…Eilistraee.”

“No…I am not wholly her, I shall choose a new name. I am a blend, a harmony of spirit and flesh. Lisse, which is harmony in my peoples language. That shall be my name from now on. A harmony of two worlds, of two peoples coming together in common purpose.”

“Lisse…I like that…has a nice sound to it,” he smiled at her as slowly rose to his feet. “I hope your people like it as well.”

“I think they will.”

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

“So, who is going to break the startling news to your folks eh your captivating magnificence? You or me?” asked Duncan.

Lisse arched an eyebrow and regarded Duncan in with a mixture of amusement and exasperation. Getting Duncan to change his irreverent attitude toward authority was like trying to stop the tide coming in. The part of her that contained Masako’s memories recalled how he would jump through all the hoops that military life demanded but all the time with a sense of larrikinism and disdain for the whole process. It was fortunate for him that the SAS tolerated characters like Duncan. He had strong self discipline but also a sense of fun and waggishness that made him a good leader of men. The SAS needed creative thinkers, not dull military robots. Men like Duncan were given a generous amount of leeway as long as their actions and attitude did not compromise themselves or the regiment.

“I shall do it you irascible rogue. My people, specifically MY priestesses aren’t going to pay attention to some insect of a rivvil, especially one as irreverent as you!”

“What’s a rivvil? Sounds like some sort of bug”

“Rivvil is the drow word for human you ignorant lout. Yes, the epithet of a worthless creepy crawly fits you most aptly I think. I suggest you start to learn our language and fast, especially if you want to be a good man to that young girl who is fixated on you. Hmm…perhaps I should warn her off you myself? She hasn’t listened to Hallesia but perhaps she will obey her goddess?” mused Lisse with a challenging glint in her eyes.

“Uluvae? How did you know…?” Lisse stared at him with a sly smile.

“Oh Duncan…goddess remember? All powerful being here! If that has escaped your limited attention then there is no hope for any of us.” She sniffed in derision and turned away throwing her hands into the air. “By all that is holy and decent in creation, I am saddled with a brainless halfwit whose grasp on the obvious is dubious at best.”

“Oh get over yourself will ya? Anyway, what is the right thing to do with that situation. I don’t want to lead her on. I’m a bit wary of the whole relationship thing anyway, always too much hassle for what they’re worth. My last girlfriend became this moody dark elven goddess with delusions of adequacy you know,” he winked at Lisse who rolled her eyes.

“You are incorrigible Captain Duncan Wilson! Seriously though, please do not be so disrespectful to me when we are in front of my faithful. They do not understand you like I do and will take great offence to any slight or remark that could be interpreted as an insult. Will you do this?” He nodded.

“Good. As much as I have affection for you I must maintain my dignity and authority. It is going to be difficult to convince my faithful to accept me as I am.”

“Eh? What about last night? They seemed over the moon at your return? If that huge dance party was any indication, they will be glad to have you back, even if you’re sharing a human woman’s body.”

‘Ahh if my people were only as open and accepting as you are Duncan. Did you know that was one of the things take Masako loved most about you? Your tolerance and ability to see past differences in race and beliefs are what she felt were some of you best traits.” He smiled faintly hearing that. “Be that as it may,” she continued, “the Drow believe in racial purity and even my faithful still have years of cultural baggage to get over. My enemy has perverted my people into believing they are the master race, that it is their destiny to rule over all others.”

“Drow uber alles eh?” She quirked a smile at his jest.

“Yes, something like that although I hardly think or see my enemy as being as vapid and banal as the Nazi’s even if she shares some of their more loathsome philosophies.”

“She? So your rival is another female goddess? Who is it?”

“I will not utter her name. You will learn of it soon enough. All that you need to know is that she is like Lucifer from your world. She looks as beautiful as the sea but is just as treacherous and like the devil, is thoroughly evil and malicious. I have been fighting her for thousands of years and was winning until she cheated and turned one of my most faithful champions against me. She used that girl to murder me and dammed her soul to eternity.” Lisse sighed at the painful memory and could still recall the horror of that final moment. She shuddered involuntarily.

“Are you ok?” Duncan stepped forward concerned.

“Yes…I am fine. Just…bad memories…nothing more.” She waved his concern away before she continued, “We are digressing, the point I had originally meant to make was about Uluvae. I know you Duncan, I know you like this girl. Why she adores you is anyone’s guess, she certainly could do better,” Duncan tried to voice a word of protest but Lisse carried on speaking, “however what I ask of you is not to use this girl as just a good time in bed. She deserves better than that.”

Duncan nodded as he considered his response. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Uluvae, it was just so sudden, she was so different and he didn’t know where to start.

“I think I’d like to get to know her better. Sure I can bonk her silly as she seems to want to do that quite badly but that isn’t what I want right now.”

“One thing must need to learn about Drow females are that they are used to having sex with regularity, whenever they feel like it. Our morality and outlook on sexuality are different to what you would have been used to. You have to let her know that you are different before she gets the wrong idea, Drow females do not like being disappointed and are not used to being rejected as lovers.”

“Great…the girl who has got the hots for me may well turn into a bunny boiling psycho stalker like out of Fatal Attraction if I don’t give her a shag!” Lisse laughed loudly.

“Indeed, that could be the case however in Uluvae’s case I don’t think she’ll be boiling pet rabbits alive to get back at you if you don’t accept her advances. She is not as twisted as that. In fact she is quite a gentle girl, not as warped and twisted as many of my faithful have been. She was fortunate in that her mother got her out of the clutches of my enemy before any significant damage was done to her soul.”

“That’s nice to know. Look, I’ll be straight up with her. I think that it’ll be better for us to learn more about each other before we decide to go any further.” Lisse smiled at this and nodded in agreement.

“If only all men were like you Duncan, then there would so much less heartache in the world.” A cheeky smirk and a sly wink were his only reply. “Oh stop that you scoundrel! You know what I mean!” He feigned shocked innocence.

“Scoundrel? Me? Ha! I resemble that remark.” She chuckled at his raffish self deprecating humour. “Alright you rascal, enough! Perhaps I was over zealous in my praise of you. Just be honest with her and I believe all will work out for the best, for the both of you.” She winked back at him giving him an enigmatic smile.

“Ahh my fate is sealed. A goddess has decreed it thus! Still…it could be worse I suppose, being forced into a relationship with Uluvae. I mean she could of have had fat arse and bad breath! Then I’d have been buggered.” Lisse tried to scowl at him but gave up. He just smirked back at her. There would be no changing him. She realised that this may be a vital trait in him, his total lack of fear of gods and authority figures. It might help their purpose greatly.

“Come on you clown, it is time to go back to the temple and begin our integration of your soldiers and my faithful. I think we will have an interesting month ahead of us.” She said as they began to walk back down the trail.

“Oh, why a month?”

“I need a month to complete my merging with this body as well as plan and prepare for our journey. In addition we need to make sure your team understand what needs to be done if they wish to go home. My people will have to adjust to my new incarnation and we will need to recruit allies to aid us along our journey. You will have to learn the common language of this world as well as my peoples language. I can teach my priestesses English by imparting the knowledge into their minds by direct mind meld.”

He looked impressed by that fact.

“Can you do the Vulcan nerve pinch to?”

“Oh shut up,” she laughed as they walked back to the temple.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Junchiro made his way back to the sleeping quarter still feeling the after effects of the previous nights party. He’d drunk some of the sweet wine but had held back from getting truly hammered after seeing how intoxicated Mike west had become. He had declined a number of advances from drow girls, and even from a couple of drow males. That intrigued him a bit as he noted through the night that gay relationships between the drow appeared to be quite common.

Arriving at the door to his room, he opened the latch and started to step through when the door suddenly slammed into his face, breaking his nose with a sickening crack. He started to stagger backwards but a hand shot out, grappling him by the throat and pulled him into the room, spinning him about and driving his head into the wall. He struggled fiercely as pain blossomed in his mind as he was smashed headfirst into the wall. The grip tightened and with a final effort, snapped his neck leaving him to fall dying to the floor. The final thing he saw was Hiro’s face leering down at him with a hateful expression before blackness overwhelmed him.

Hiro quickly assessed his situation. He had just killed his own soldier and could not trust any one else. He scrambled around the room looking for weapons and only found Junchiro’s pistol belt with his Glock and four clips of ammo. He strapped it to his waist and pulled out the pistol, carefully listening for sounds that his fight had attracted attention. He waited a full minute before opening the window and leaping out. He crouched down low under the window sill, slowly moving along the length of the building.

When he had awoken from his drug induced sleep, he was stunned to discover where he was. He noted that he’d been tied up but his captors had not found the small buckle razor he had on his belt. Slicing the cords that bound his wrists and ankles he’d listened carefully as he hear William speaking with Mike West. Traitors he thought. They had been seduced by these aliens! There was no denying they were completely in the enemy’s power. These sinister alien females had no doubt planned this all along, quite possibly using the team as the cover for their invasion of Earth. Humanity had to be alerted to this threat. It was all up to him now. Time to be mankinds last hero.

He skirted around the side of the building, carefully watching for signs of movement. It was still early in the morning and the compound seemed relatively quiet. Examining the buildings around him, he could deduce that the most visible structure was a religious building or shrine of some sort. Next to that was a large building, looking like a storage shed with a single doorway at the front. Checking to see if the coast was clear, he darted across the grounds and took cover at the rear of the building. He cautious rose up to peek through a small window. Inside was the mule, which was behind what appeared to be a large glowing doorway. Beside the mule were two male drow guards, their attention focus on the glowing doorway.
He smiled at this stroke of fortunate luck, the gods must be favouring him.

He could see that the window was unable to be opened from the outside. He took of his jacket and wrapped it around the pistol and his hand making a very crude silencer. Taking careful aim, he shot 6 times, aiming three shots at each of the guards as he shot them in the back with deadly accuracy through the glass window. Each 9mm struck home with lethal results. The shots were dull and muffled from his improvised silencer and he quickly smashed away the rest of the glass in the window. His jacket started to smoulder from the muzzle burns from the Glock as he clambered through the small window.

Quickly, he ran up to the mule opening it and scabbling away for weapons. He snatched up a HK MP10 and a bag of magazines, a first aid kit and a ration bum pack. Just as he was about to grab more gear, the front door burst open and in rushed in 4 drow females. He whirled about, opening fire with the submachine gun cutting down two of the women instantly and wounding the third while the other dived behind some cover. He changed the magazine and was about to finish off the survivors when gunshots smacked close to his head. He whirled about and ducked, returning fire blindly at the window he’d come through. The bullets ricocheted around the stone room sending stone splinters flying in all directions.

“Give it up Hiro! There’s no way out of here!” yelled William as he reloaded his pistol.

“Traitor! You have sold out humanity! I will stop you and these aliens!” He fired again at the window, keeping William down. He had to get out of this building. He fired one more burst at the window then started to make a dash for the front door. William took careful aim, squeezing off one shot, striking Hiro in the shoulder sending him careering off balance towards the glowing door way. Hiro lost his balance and feel face forward into the glowing portal. There was a loud flash and a smell of ozone permeated the air.

“What the fuck was that?” shouted William in confusion. Anya peered over his shoulder with clinical detachment.

“That was the sound of just deserts as you would put it William,” she said with satisfaction.

“Eh? What do you mean?” By now drow and a few of the team had converged on the building where the sound of gunfire had come from.

“Our enemy has inadvertently gone through a portal to the Underdark.” Seeing his incomprehension she continued, “We maintain a few portals to the world below where we can conduct surveillance and rescue drow from the clutches of the enemy. Hiro has gone through one. I think his chances of survival are very remote indeed. If the spider kissers do not catch him then the other horrors that lurk in the deep places of the world will finish him for sure.”

“Can’t he come back through the portal?”

“No. He needs a magic ward stone to be allowed to return and I doubt he would have managed to take one. Come, let us see how badly this swine has hurt us.” They went around to the front entrance which had become the focus of attention. The dead were being carefully taken out while the wounded priestess was receiving healing from her sisters.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

William looked on with a grim expression as the dead where brought out. The two drow women had been riddled with bullets, their bodies a bloody mass of ghastly wounds and their eyes staring vacantly upwards in shock and pain.

“This is my fault,” he muttered. Anya glanced at him with a questioning look.

“What do you mean?” she said in a neutral tone.

“I should have not have left Hiro to wake up unsupervised. He should have been under guard. Instead I let me guard down and people have died as a result,” he said bitterly as the broken bodies were being placed on a float disk. Mike West came running over to them, his face dark with a frown as he surveyed the scene.

“Jun is dead Captain. Looks like Hiro snapped his neck,” he reported as he arrived. William closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose and was silent for a minute.

“Dam him! I should of let Duncan smash his brains out when we first arrived and he went bug shit with panic.”

“William! Stop for a moment. Yes you made a mistake for not setting guards over Hiro but that is our fault as well. We saw that he was unstable but didn’t act to keep an eye on him and now we have all paid for our error in judgement. Please,” she put her hand on his arm gently, “do not take this burden on yourself wholly. Learn from the mistake, grieve for you dead comrade but not our fallen. Shir’le and the goddess may be able to raise them from death.”

“You are joking right? Raise a dead person like Jesus did with Lazarus?” he asked with incredulity.

“I am quite serious William. You have to learn that here on this world, we have learnt the arts of life, healing and the ways to bring the dead back to life. There are perversions of this art, necromancy but what we will do is nothing more than asking the soul to return to the body.”

“But the wounds...how….how is this possible?” he stammered. Mike looked as incredulous as William.

“You will see.” She looked of in the distance for a moment, as if listening to something. “The avatar of the goddess and Duncan are some distance away. I will go to retrieve them as it will take too long for them to walk back and the goddess does not wish to use magic unnecessarily.” She moved away and walked over to an empty space in the grounds and began her transformation. Everyone turned away as she metamorphosed into her true form. Sunlight sparkled and rippled across her shining silvery scales. Crouching, she bunched up her rippling muscles before springing into the air with a mighty leap and snap of her huge wings. William and Mike stood transfixed as she soared into the sky.

“Captain that is probably the most impressive thing I will ever see.” William nodded in silent agreement. He felt a little better now, the sight of Anya flying in the morning sun was glorious to behold, lifting his soul as she rose on the rising thermals. His attention by Uluvae and a couple of male drow soldiers who carried Junchiro’s body on a stretcher who came to stand next to him.

“Captain Jefferson, do you want soldier Junchiro brought to temple to come back from being dead?” she asked in he pigeon English. He blinked in confusion.

“Pardon? What did you say?” he said in bewilderment.

“Dead soldier, bring to life, we go to temple” she explained as plainly as she could. William looked at Mike who shrugged helplessly.

“What can it hurt to try Captain? If they can do this, then we have nothing to lose,” he said.

“Alright Miss Uluvae,” William nodded to her, “take Jun to the temple and work your mojo on him.” She looked slightly puzzled by his words but understand that he meant yes. She instructed the two soldiers to take Junchiro’s body along with the others.

The other team members had arrived now, asking what had happened. Mike filled them in on the details. Kaori took Jun’s death the hardest, her face streaked with tears.

“Come on people, lets go to the temple and wait to see if there are truly miracles here on this world,” said William. They followed him as he walked towards the temple’s courtyard.

He was about to ascend the steps to the temple doorway when he was blocked by 4 drow temple guards. “What’s the deal here boys?” he said in a guarded tone.

Bhaeryn stepped out of the shadows. [in drow] “Your kind caused this mess, you can not be trusted. You will not be allowed to do anymore harm.” he said quietly. William’s eye narrowed. Uluvae looked about worriedly. “Take that dead offal out of here,” he said to the two soldiers carrying Junchiro’s body. They looked hesitantly at Uluvae who was unsure what to do. She turned as William spoke to her,

“Uluvae, tell the general here that we meant no harm and came here as guests. I personally apologise for the harm that has occurred here and will find a way to make amends but also tell him to back off his goons before I start to lose my cool,” he said never taking his eyes off Bhaeryn. She quickly translated as best she could what William had said. Bhaeryn just shook his head negatively and gestured slightly. Around the team appeared more drow soldiers, crossbows and spears levelled at them. The team faced the drow soldiers with professional calm.

A massive roar above them smashed the tension instantly as Anya hovered above the courtyard with Duncan and Lisse sitting on her back.

[in drow] “ENOUGH OF THIS! LOWER YOUR WEAPONS. AT ONCE!” commanded Lisse as she levitated down from Anya’s back towards the ground. Her eyes blazed with anger as she glared at the drow soldiers and Bhaeryn. They lowered their weapons and dropped to their knees, heads bowed except Bhaeryn who stood there, arms folded in defiance. Lisse drifted over to stand in front of him.

[in drow] “You dare disobey a direct command from you goddess?” she asked quietly.

[in drow] “Your skin is like mine but you wear the body of a rivvil like a set of moldy clothes. You are not wholly drow. Are you really who you say you are?” he said challengingly. Shir’le who had just come out of the temple heard Bhaeryn’s blasphemy and gasped in horror. Lisse’s eyes bored into Bhaeryns.

[in drow] “Look into my eyes Bhaeryn d’Andulace, look and tell me what you see,” she said dangerously. He stared back, initially with defiance but within moments he began to grow pale and started to tremble with fear. With a wretched cry he collapsed to his knees, begging Lisse for forgiveness. Shir’le blanched with apprehension and Uluvae closed her eyes and began to pray.

[in drow] “Forgive me quar'valsharess, my eyes have seen your true glory. I am sorry for ever doubting you,” he moaned. Lisse stared long and hard at the quivering form of Bhaeryn kneeling before her. She turned and spoke to all those in the courtyard,

[in drow] “It is true that I inhabit the body of a human woman but that does not make me any less than who I am. From this moment on, there will be no more talk of purity or racial supremacy. Those are the poisonous lies of the enemy designed to mislead you from the truth. I will not have it! It does not matter the colour of your skin or the race of the mother who birthed you, what matters is the soul, the heart and the deeds of the person you are! Act with kindness and charity to all who seek our protection! You know this, pray that you do not forget it again!”

Her words rang out with resonating power. Even those not in the courtyard heard them. Her eyes travelled over the gathered worshippers there, each one bowing to her will. The human soldiers stood there mildly perplexed, unable to understand what had just been said by Lisse but understanding that a major arse kicking had just gone down. William politely cleared his throat getting Lisse’s attention.

“Ahh….hey there….don’t mean to interrupt here but are we cool now?” he asked casually. Lisse’s dark mood was broken, her dark expression fading instantly.

“Yes William, everything is fine now. I had to give Bhaeryn here an attitude readjustment. There will not be any further problems.” She turned to Bhaeryn. [in drow] “Rise Bhaeryn, you are forgiven. Let these humans pass with their fallen. They are not responsible for the actions of one mad man.” He rose nodding and backed away.

Meanwhile Anya had spiralled down and landed outside in the gardens. She lowered her sinuous neck allowing Duncan to slide off to the ground.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Duncan had nimbly landed on the ground next to the mighty dragon. He looked up at Anya, still feeling the thrill and exhilaration of flying on the back of a dragon. Despite the terrible news she brought as she came hurtling out of the sky to retrieve Duncan and Lisse. Climbing up and her broad shoulders and then clinging on for dear life as she launched herself back into the air had been a massive rush. He whooped in delight as she zoomed just above the tree tops at a break neck speed. Even Lisse was caught up in Duncan’s enthusiasm and Anya felt the human’s sheer joy with a sense of pleasure. As they approached the Temple, Lisse sent a telepathic message to Anya, - [i:3nkplz4j]there is trouble at the temple that needs my urgent attention. I will need to hop off there [/i:3nkplz4j]-

- [i:3nkplz4j]Very well, prepare yourself as we have arrived[/i:3nkplz4j] – Anya replied as she banked and wheeled above the temple before slowing to hover and bellowing out an ear-splitting mighty roar. Lisse leaped off Anya’s back and drifted down to the ground while Anya dipped her left wing, turning away to land in the garden.

“Woo-hoo! That was a blast. Can we do that again?” he asked excitedly as he stepped away from the dragon. She turned her massive head, lowering it to his eye level.

“Duncan…I believe we have more pressing matters to attend right now rather than me taking you on joy rides. Please focus!” she admonished him. He nodded but the grin did not fade.

“You’re right, let’s see what the damage is then.” He turned away as Anya began her transformation back into her elven form.

They hurried over to the temple to find all the drow kneeling, their heads bowed and heard William ask if everything was cool. It was obvious the level of tension had been quite high. Duncan saw the body of Junchiro being taken into the temple. His elation began to slide as he was confronted by the seriousness of the moment.

“William, what happened then? Where’s that arse wipe Hiro got to eh?” asked Duncan as he made his way across the courtyard, stepping past the still kneeling drow.

“The situation is FUBAR Duncan. That motherfucker woke up, cut lose, ambushed Jun and then shot four drow before I put a slug in him.”

“Good. Head shot was it?”

“Negative on a kill. I only managed to wing the fucker. He fell into some sort of magic doorway the drow have got set up in that storage building where we parked the mule. Anya tells me that Hiro has basically entered the equivalent of hell, full of monsters and evil things and he’s got a snow balls chance in hell of surviving there. The added bonus is that he can’t come back through the doorway either so he’s basically fucked and will most likely be monster shit fairly soon.” William said in satisfaction. The rest of the team murmured in agreement with Williams sentiments. Hiro was not a good officer and was only just tolerated while the team had been training before their trip through the teleporter had brought them here.

“So what is going to happen to Jun then?” Duncan glanced curious through the doorway of the temple.

“We will try to return him to life,” said Lisse as she swept past him and strode into the temple. She’d been quietly conferring with Shir’le and Hallesia while Duncan and the team had been talking. Uluvae hovered nervously in the background as she was only an acolyte priestess. “Leave any weapons you have here and follow Uluvae. Stand with her and please do not interrupt nor interject while the ceremony takes place,” she commanded. Since only Mike and William were armed, it only took a few moments to leave the guns in the alcove which Lisse had indicated.

They followed Uluvae into the inner sanctum of the temple. All but Kaori looked on with wonder & admiration at the beautiful design of the inner sanctum.

“I wish I brought my camera,” whispered Duncan to himself as he gazed about awe struck at the majesty of the place. One of the acolytes next to Duncan dug her elbow not to gently into his ribs and gave him a withering glare. He managed not to make any noise and the rest of the team got the message loud and clear: behave!

Uluvae saw Dhanue elbow Duncan after he whispered to himself. She was both bemused and mortified, amused at him being awe struck but also mortified at his transgression of the goddess’s command. Still it would do him good to learn to respect the goddess and also a female’s command she thought to herself. She waved them to follow her over to the acolytes quarter. They quietly followed her and sat where she indicated. They watched with fervent curiosity as the priestesses began to chant and sing. Lisse and Shir’le stood at the centre of the temple while the priestesses danced and whirled around them and the five bodies that had been laid out in front of the central altar.

Lisse and Shir’le joined hands and lifted up their voices to join the song. The feeling of loss and melancholy mixed in with rising hope filled each humans being as they sat there entranced by this enthralling song. The power and splendour of the ceremony was almost overwhelming. Kaori and Consuela sat spellbound, their attention memorized by the flurry of the dances and the swirl and skein of the harmonies of the song. The male members of the team were not so entranced but still moved and touched by this magnificent spectacle.

A glowing silver sword appeared in Shir’le’s hand. She turned and lowered the blade to touch the first of the dead in front of her. It was a priestess. Within moments of the blades touch, the ghastly gunshot wounds began to close over and heal.

“Return to us sister, return Faeliss”, sang the assembled priestesses. Her body began to glow as the silvery light enveloped her. The call grew more strident and powerful until it almost became a shout. With a screaming gasp, Faeliss’ eyes opened as she coughed and moaned. A musical shout of triumph rang out, reverberating and echoing around the temple walls, victory over death had been achieved.

“Sweet Jesus!” mouthed William in utter amazement & wonder. The rest of the team gawked on, their faces gaping in disbelief at what they had just witnessed. The song began again as Shir’le dipped the sword to the next casualty, a male drow. His name was called out and soon he too had been restored to life. The process was repeated on the next female drow and soon she too had come back from the dead. The feeling of pure euphoria gripped the team with each resurrection. They could barely contain themselves as emotions surged. This was something beyond the imagination, death defeated! They felt like cheering with elation as each drow was brought back to life.

Now it was the turn of Junchiro. Shir’le lightly touched the blade as Lisse sang out his name, calling for him to return. The priestesses took up the call, adding their voices to the song of life. The dance became more frenetic and furious as the song and chanting reached a crescendo. Suddenly, the light on the blade began to fade, its shining lustre dimming causing the song to falter. The dancers slowed their steps and looked to Shir’le and Lisse for direction. Lisse held up her hand, signalling for silence. A hush fell over the temple while the team sat on the edge of their seats, their emotions on tender hooks. Lisse frowned.

"I call to him but he does not hear my voice. He is lost in the fugue."

Lisse stepped forward and knelt by Junchiro’s body, gently cradling his head in her lap as she closed her eyes.

Time slowed to a stand still as the temple faded away from her vision.

She appeared on a desolate icy windswept featureless plain. She sang softly, calling out Junchiro’s name. A faint flicker of light appeared on the distant horizon. Concetrating, she tried to draw the light to her but it resisted her will. It was like trying to hold onto water, his soul just flowed through her fingers. She saw the light was fading as his spirit began to wither in the fugue. He did not belong here.

She flew to him in an instant. Huddled & trembling in abject fear on the frozen plain was Junchiro. He mumbled in terror, calling for his mother. Lisse’s heart almost broke as she felt his pain and dread, believing he was lost and alone in this forsaken place. She knelt next to the shivering figure, gently touching his face.

[i:3nkplz4j]Hush Junchiro, calm your fears. I am here, you are not alone. [/i:3nkplz4j]

He soon ceased trembling and looked up, seeing her face as if for the first time and grabbed her hand like a drowning man. A look of peace fell over his face and he smiled at her. She knew what she must do.

[i:3nkplz4j]I knew you would not leave me behind major. Are we ready to go home?[/i:3nkplz4j]

[i:3nkplz4j]Yes Jun, we can go home now. Do you see the doorway just in front of you? [/i:3nkplz4j]

He nodded.

[i:3nkplz4j]Go through. You will be safe there.[/i:3nkplz4j]

Puzzled he looked at her.

[i:3nkplz4j]You are not coming with me?[/i:3nkplz4j]

[i:3nkplz4j]No Jun. It is not my time to go there. That is my realm and one day I will see you there but not today.[/i:3nkplz4j]

[i:3nkplz4j]I am dead aren’t I?[/i:3nkplz4j]

[i:3nkplz4j]Yes Jun. [/i:3nkplz4j]

She felt terrible sadness at his untimely death and frustration that she could not bring him back.

He looked at her with a resigned expression.

[i:3nkplz4j]I let down the team. I apologise for my dishonour. [/i:3nkplz4j]

He bowed to her.

[i:3nkplz4j]No! It was not your fault Jun. You bear no responsibility for this. [/i:3nkplz4j]

He gazed at her impassively.

[i:3nkplz4j]Please tell my mother…if you can, that I died honourably in battle.[/i:3nkplz4j]

[i:3nkplz4j]I will. I promise. Go now and be at peace.[/i:3nkplz4j]

He bowed again to her and looked to the glowing doorway. He could see beyond the entrance was a forest glade pathway that lead down to a sparkling white shore and on the horizon, a swift sunrise was dawning. He smiled at her as she nodded to him. Without a further look back, he stepped through and was gone.

Lisse fell to her knees with a sob. Her anguish and despair forming into small crystals that shattered as they fell onto the harsh frozen ground. Slowly, she regained her composure and stood up.

[i:3nkplz4j]Sayonara Junchiro, we will meet again.[/i:3nkplz4j]

She called out into the howling wind, then returned back to the world.

She looked up from Jun’s lifeless body, tears streaking down her face. Her priestesses watched on, their elation dimmed by their goddess grief.

“He is gone. I can not return him,” she said in a hollow voice.

Kaori cried out aloud, her sobs echoing throught the temple while the rest of the team voiced their shock and anguish. Their hopes had been raised only to be dashed and thwarted. Some of the priestess turned to silence the humans but Shir’le stopped them.

“Leave them sisters. They mean no disrespect.” She nodded to the acolytes to help and comfort Kaori. She waved them off as she gathered herself together, wiping the tears from her face. The others stood in sullen morose silence and filled out of the temple with Kaori bringing up the rear.

None of them said anything as they stood in the courtyard for a few minutes. Finally Uluvae came out of the temple and stood before them.

“The goddess say she can not bring to life your friend as his soul had to go on. She very sorry.” Uluvae felt terrible. All four of her friends had returned but not the nice human who was kind to her. It was unfair. She didn’t understand why the resurrection had failed but began to guess it was due to these humans coming from a world without magic.

“Thanks Miss Uluvae, we’re ok. We’d hoped that Jun would be back with us but well…” William shrugged sadly, “seems like it wasn’t meant to be. Is there a place nearby where we can bury him today?” She nodded.

“I go tell high priestess to prepare his body. We take you to place of death.”

William nodded and turned to his team who had lined up in a file.

“Alright people, get back to barracks. I want you all kitted up as best you can. Today we say farewell to a brother in arms, do not let him down. Be ready in 2 hours. Dismissed!” He saluted them and they returned it. They turned smartly on their heels and marched out of the courtyard with military precision. Uluvae watched fascinated as the humans marched with such timing and discipline.

Sir Rogan had walked into the courtyard, his eyes following the teams departure.

“They march well, almost as good as a platoon of foot knights,” he remarked to Uluvae as he stood next to her.

“I suppose so sir knight. They lost one of their own today and will seek to bury him soon.”

“Yes, I heard. A sad day. I will come and pay my respects to their fallen comrade if that is permissible?” She nodded.

“I think they will appreciate that Sir Rogan. Thank you.” He nodded to her, bowed in goodbye as he left to ready himself for the funeral.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

William led his squad out to the small cemetery that lay outside the temple walls, with Duncan, Mike, Vince and Harry carrying Junchiro’s body on a litter. Consuela, Kaori, Matt and Gavin marched in slow step behind them. Jun was wrapped in a simple white shroud. The cemetery was in a fine-looking spot, a small rise facing east well covered in shady trees that looked out into the centre of the valley and the river that lay at the heart of the valley. A fresh plot had been dug and around the open grave stood a small number of drow headed by Lisse and Shir’le. Off to one side was Sir Rogan, resplendent in his golden plate armour. He raised his sword in solemn salute as the pall bearers passed by.

“Pallbearers halt! Lower our brother to the ground,” said William as lowered their sad burden gently to the ground. “Squad will retire two paces and reverse arms.”

Stepping back two paces, the squad unshouldered their weapons, pointing them barrel down to the ground, their heads bowed in respect. The drow came forward and ran four silk ropes under the body, lifting it gently and lowering it into the grave. Lisse stepped forward, clearing her throat.

“Lt. Junchiro was a good & loyal soldier, a comrade and a friend. We honour his life today and will miss him in the days to come. Farewell,” she bowed Japanese style to the grave then stepped back.

“Squad, present arms!” William’s deep clear voice rang out. Nine weapons came up with a precise snap, held in presentation. “Squad, will volley salute! Fire!” William saluted the grave while the squad spun as one, aiming their weapons into the air. Nine guns fired simultaneously, the crack shattering the peaceful morning causing some of the drow to flinch. “Fire!” again they turned and fired. “Fire!” A final volley was fired. “Squad, atten-hutt!” They came to rigid attention, their faces blank of emotion. “Squad, retire to barracks, about face, slow march!”

The drow watched as the humans left the grave. Some felt as though they had not done enough to honour their comrade.

“I know what many of you are thinking however they have given Junchiro their highest honour. It is their way.” Lisse turned and walked away alone while the other female priestesses left in a group leaving the four male drow to slowly fill the grave. Once they were done, the collected their shovels and headed back to the temple. Only Sir Rogan stayed. He bowed his head in silent prayer, staying for a while before leaving a small flower on the fresh grave.

Lisse watched Sir Rogan as she walked back to the temple. He was all alone like the other human soldiers who he could not even talk with. She resolved to change that. She moved quickly to catch up with the knight as he walked back.

“Sir Rogan, a moment of you time if you will.” He turned and fell to one knee, head bowed in reverent respect.

“Goddess and most gracious lady, I am your most humble servant to command. My blade and life are yours,” he replied, “What do you wish of me?”

“I seek to impart the off worlds language to you good and loyal knight. It won’t take but a moment however you will feel some disorientation for a short while as the new language settles within you mind.”

“I sincerely humbly thank you for this most generous gift you bequeath to me. I am ready my lady,” said removing his helm and bowing his head. She laid a hand over his head and closed her eyes. In an instant, a wealth of new words, concepts and ideas flowed into Rogan’s consciousness. It was dazzlingly overwhelming. He had no time to concentrate such was the rush of information. The strain on his mind was great but he was a trained paladin, used to such trails and tests and he endured stoically. Almost as soon as it had begun, the torrent of knowledge ceased and she lifted off her hand from his head. He slowly exhaled, controlling his breathing. Lisse snapped her fingers and two priestesses appeared next to her, dropping their invisibility.

“Take the good knight to his chambers and see that he rests sisters.” They nodded and turned to help Rogan to his feet. He waved them away and with a remarkable effort of will power, slowly rose to his feet. He sways slightly, fighting off a wave of dizziness. The priestesses stepped forward again.

“Nay good ladies, stay your kind hands. The spinning will pass in but a moment.” He took a few more deep breaths and closed his eyes for a minute. They watched him carefully making sure to catch him if he passed out. Opening his eyes, he spoken in English to Lisse,

“How remarkable! Once again my deepest thanks most gracious lady for this princely gift.” He bowed low to her, not faltering for an instant.

“I must send some of my drow to train under the knights as it seems that you stress mental discipline highly.” He bowed again at her high praise.

“The sons of the Golden Lion would welcome your people and are ready to accept any who wish to learn our methods of calming the mind. Now most holy and gracious lady, I beg your leave to depart as I must meditate to settle this new knowledge within my mind.” She smiled faintly/

“You may go Sir Knight. May the Lion walk with you always,” she blessed him. Elated he bowed deeply once more and backed away from her respectfully. Blessed indeed was he, to be touched by the avatar of the Dark Maiden. Sir Alvinas was indeed right, this was a cause worthy of the Golden Lion and his followers. He strode back to his quarters determined to intergrate what he’d just learned.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

A gloomy silence hung in the room where all the squad had gathered after the funeral. No one seemed willing to speak first so it dragged on. A knock at the door broke the tension.

“Who is it?” asked William.

“Anya, Shir’le and Uluvae,” said Anya from the other side.

“Come in.” The women quietly entered, standing in the centre of the room. Anya spoke, her voice clear and soft.

“I came here to discuss your future here. As you know, we are a persecuted faith and have enemies everywhere. The avatar of the goddess as indicated that she ca not resume her full powers until her full essence is returned to this world.”

“What’s that got to do with us?” interjected Consuela with a hint of bitterness.

“If you would allow me to finish,” Anya looked coolly at Consuela for a long moment who dropped her gaze and mumbled an apology. Anya continued, “As I was saying, the avatar of the goddess needs to open a portal which will enable her essence to be able to enter this world, completing her rebirth. We need you help in accomplishing this goal.”

“Why should we help her anyway? She screwed with the teleporter and brought us here against our will!” Consuela was now standing, her hands on her hips.

“We’ll do it because it’s the only way we are likely to get home Connie and even though we got snatched here, we will do it because we’ve been asked to by these nice people. Besides, this is a mission that I can get behind.” Duncan said quietly. William nodded and stood up before Consuela.

“Connie, it’s clear cut, straight forward mission, something that I haven’t been able to be involved in a very long time. There are bad guys and monsters that will no doubt try and stop us. We’ll be the good guys, doing something worthy, decent and righteous for a change. That’s enough for me. I won’t order any of you to follow. You gotta step up to the plate because you want to.” William turned to Anya. “Lady Anya, I’m ready to do what ever I can to help your people restore your goddess.” Her smile light up her face as she nodded her thanks to him.

“I’m in for the lark as well. Sounds like it’ll be one hell of a trip.” Duncan said laconically as he got up. The rest of his men stood up with him.

“We’re with you skipper,” said Harry with a grin. Mike & Vince rose to their feet.

“You got us on board Captain. Semper Fi!” Kaori got up slowly from her chair and walked to Shir’le.

“Can you translate please to the High Priestess?” Anya nodded. Kaori bowed formally. “High Priestess, I humbly request the honour of joining your order as a novice. My skills as a healer are at your service. I am yours to command” She bowed again. Anya quickly translated while the rest of the squad looked at Kaori in surprise. Shir’le warmly embraced Kaori and nodded.

“Dos ph' mzilst al'doer waelin dalninil [you are most welcome young sister],” she said with a gentle smile.

“Kaori? Are you sure about this?” asked Consuela.

“Yes Connie, I am. My best friend has become the vessel for a goddess and needs my aid. What better way to help her than become one of her followers?” Kaori had serene faint smile on her face. Consuela threw up her hands with a sigh.

“Ahh dam it…alright, you’re all loco anyway. I’m in!” The rest of the squad gave her a small cheer. Consuela grinned foolishly. “Hell, I want to go home as badly as the rest of you jarheads and knuckle draggers. It might even be fun.” She winked at William who just grinned back. He turned back to Anya.

“It appears we are all in agreement. You have 9 of Earths most highly trained soldiers ready to help your cause.”

“Excellent. We will start to prepare for the journey ahead. Captain Wilson has already been partially informed as to what will need to be done. You all will have to learn a new language. We will do our best also to determine what magics you are resistant to and what may work for you.”

“Ahem…umm…Skipper…I have a confession to make. Might as well get it out in the open, since everything is up in the air,” said Harry with a nervous grin.

“Eh? What is it Harry?”

“Well, the mule…umm…you’re gonna be pissed at me and I confess I only did it for the money. It was just too good to pass up and you know what the army pensions are like.”

“What the fuck are you talking about Harry?” The rest of the team were looking at Harry with a mixture of curiosity and amusement. Harry snapped to attention.

“Sir, I beg to report that I, Warrant Officer First Class Fowler in the Royal Australian Special Air Services Regiment, have broken regulations, specifically with the transporting and securing of military property, to wit, 4 FN-P90 submachine guns with 2000 5.7mm armour piercing rounds of ammunition plus 6 S&W .40 automatic pistols with a further 1500 rounds all concealed in the hull of the mule to wit I intended to remove and bury while on the mission without your knowledge with the intention of retrieving said weapons to sell on the black market sir!” Duncan looked shocked and William was taken aback. The rest of the squad viewed Harry warily. Harry stood to attention, his eyes focused on the wall in front of him.

‘Let me see if I understand this correctly Warrant officer, you intended to steal and sell firearms from the Department of Defence and sell to criminal elements located in Sydney?” Duncan stood in front of Harry and looked him straight in the eyes.

“Yes sir, that is exactly hat I had planned to do.”

“I see. Lt. Sanderson?”

“Sir?”

“Private Fowler is to be confined to quarter until a hearing of Senior officers is heard.”

“Sir!”

“Harry….I won’t say that the extra firepower won’t be usefull…and coming clean is good…but intending to sell machine guns to thugs….that’s going to take some time for me to forgive. You are not to leave your room unless under guard, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir. I’m sorry I let you down sir. It won’t happen again sir.”

“You are dismissed Private.” Duncan turned away, not acknowledging Harry’s salute. Gavin and Matt marched Harry out of the room. Anya had been quietly translating what had happened to Shir’le who watched Harry leave with a sad expression. Duncan heaved a sigh.

“That was totally out of the blue! Harry a gun dealer!” He shock his head in disbelief.

‘It’s not new Duncan. In the Marines we’ve had plenty of boys who thought they could make a quick buck buy stealing Uncle Sams hardware and selling it to the highest bidder. It’s good he came clean now.” Duncan nodded.

“Still, he need a good kick up the arse for this,” he said. Shir’le lent in and whispered in Anya’s ear for a few moments.

“If I may make a suggestion Captains?” They nodded. “Your soldier has transgressed but he confessed freely in front of his fellows and shows remorse for his actions. Shir’le here says she can put him to work with the e'trit drewst lodias or clean up crew. They are responsible for cleaning the abattoir in the village and making sure the sewers, privies & latrines all work. Perhaps a month with them may be fitting punishment?” Duncan smirked.

“You’re a genius Shir’le! A month of Harry in the shit will be enough I think, don’t you agree Will?”

“Yeah. Make sure the guy in charge of the crew kicks Harry’s ass if he slacks off as well.”

“Oh you can be sure of that, we have someone special in charge for that month.”

‘Eh? Who is it?”

“Bhaeryn.” The rest of the squad sniggered as they knew the haughty male drow would take every opportunity to make Harry’s, and anyone else on the shit detail, lives miserable.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Hiro stumbled along in the darkness. The bullet wound in his shoulder had started to bleed again and he knew he was getting weaker from blood loss. After he was certain no one was pursuing him, he began to investigate his new surroundings. The cavern he was in was lit by a few dimly glowing globes. And it appeared to having been a staging area for the “aliens” he’d just fled from. Most of the supply crates were smashed an empty however there were a few crates which contained crossbow bolts, preserved food and water, ropes and other items that you’d need to explore in a cave system. Helping himself to these items and taking two of the glowing globes he set out from the small cavern.

He hadn’t travelled very far when something went click. A flash of light enveloped his body, magical energies swirling about him in a dazzling cascade of glowing fire which left him completely unharmed. He stood in shock for a long moment, daring not to move for fear o setting off any further booby traps. He carefully examined the cave floor in front of him and noted that there were odd symbols painted on the ground. He moved carefully around them, edging his way along the cave wall. Soon he was past the strange symbols and he pushed on into the stygian gloom.

He held his SMG tightly in his right hand, cautiously scanning ahead for any signs of life. He heard nothing. Soon he came onto a fork in the tunnel has was travelling, the main passage branching downwards with a smaller tunnel turning left and appeared to head in an upwards direction. He took the smaller passage as getting out of this hellish labyrinth was foremost on his mind. Creeping along, the tunnel, he saw it opened into a large chamber in which he could hear the sound of dripping water.

Entering slowly, he warily looked about the chamber. It appeared to be full of stalactites and stalagmites as well as having a large pool of water at the far end of the chamber. He paused sensing something else in the chamber with him. A dribble of ichor fell on the side of his face. He spun about looking up bringing up his SMG. Above him was something out of a nightmare. A huge leathery manta-ray like creature with glowing hateful red eyes and a mouthful of scissor serrated teeth hung just a few feet from his head. He screamed in terror and leapt backwards firing wildly as the lurking thing above him lunged toward him. The deafening roar of gunfire shattered the tomb like quiet. Bullest slammed into the creature, ripping huge bloody holes in its leathery body. The impact of the shots stopped it dead in its tracks and it dropped to the cavern floor writhing and flailing in dying agony. Hiro kept firing until the magazine was empty and the was creature dead. Drawing in great lungfuls of air, he shakily inserted a fresh clip into his HKMP-10. He stood up unsteadily and saw that he was suddenly surrounded by a dozen figures wearing black metal armour, similar to the style he’d seen on the surface. There was the sound of a click and he felt an immediate sharp pain in his back. He tried to open fire but he found he couldn’t move. The SMG fell from his numb hands with a clatter.

A helmed figure strode up to him and examined him closely. It raised its hands and removed the helm to reveal a stunningly coldly beautiful dark elven face. Her red eyes gazed at Hiro with dispassionate curiosity. She took the pistol from his belt, hefting the cold metal weight in her hand.

[in drow] “Bring him. I wish to learn more about this human and his interesting weapons. Matron Mother Mezrylornyl will be pleased with the power these new weapons represent,” she said as she carefully placed the pistol in a small bag. She saw Hiro desperately trying to move, even speak and smiled cruelly at him. “The animal struggles even as I speak, make sure he is secure! Gather his other weapon and return to the compound at once. ” She turned on her heel and strode away.

A male drow house solider gathered up the HKMP-10 while two others strapped Hiro to a stretcher and carried him away into the depths of the world.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

“Will, I think we should perhaps having an evening off? It’s been 7 days now and we’ve all been working quite hard. I don’t know about you but the thought of not spending another evening learning the local lingo might be useful?” Duncan glanced over at William as he continued to clean his M-14, pulling the rag through the barrel and applying a few drops of oil.

“Duncan, you going all soft cock on me now eh? What about all that hard ass ANZAC legend stuff huh?” William grinned back evilly as he reassembled his M-4.

“Oh go ass rape a Bugbear! You know what I mean. The lads and lady need a little R&R. I thought that maybe we could set up the data projector and have a movie night? Nothing over the top and I think the locals will like watching a film for the first time too.”

“You got Bugbears on the brain man. That raiding party that you and Gavin plus the drow who were with you ambushed made you all swell headed. Think you’re the big swinging dick now don’tcha?”

“Pfft. Real heroes don’t brag about their exploits and only lemon scented pussy wipe rear echelon muther fuckers like you bitch about! True men get in the shit and come out smelling like roses,” Duncan replied with a sly grin. He knew William was a little envious as it was Duncan’s patrol that had managed to ambush the band of goblin like creatures that Anya had spotted coming back from one of her hunts. A sharp and one sided battle which was over in less than 30 seconds impressed the drow temple soldiers and Faelar had declared his love right there and then for the FN-P90. He was one of the few drow who had been given those precious weapons and he had shown a remarkable aptitude for using it. The another was given to Bhaeryn even though he was still on fatigue duties. The gift of the weapon had gone a long way in establishing a rapport with the taciturn drow warrior as he saw how useful the deadly gun was. Hallesia and Uluvae got the final two weapons. The drow women said they would only use them if necessary, preferring their magic and swords. Duncan pointed out that was all well and good but a sword could only kill close up and usually only one at a time. After the ambush the women had reassessed the lethality of the gun with new respect, seeing how in less than half a minute, just two of them, along with Gavins and Duncans’ weapons had slaughtered 23 Bugbears in armour and not a single scratch was suffered by the ambush team.

“What film did you want to show then?” William asked cautiously. Duncan looked at him as though he was an idiot.

“What film? Jeeze you’re a dense bastard. What do you think? Lord of the Rings of course! It’s something that the drow will easily understand? Why…did you think I’d show ‘em porn or Jerry Springer or something equally trashy from America eh?” Duncan sneered at William, whose reply was to give Duncan the finger.

“Alright, Lord of the Rings it is. I never really liked that flick and now I find that I’m living in a version of it.”

“Serves you right. You still reckon that the only trilogy is Star Wars eh? Man, Clerks II really fucked the sense out of your brain didn’t it? That crap film that Kevin Smith wrote only shows what a no talent envious wanker he is and only sad pricks like you believe it. How many academy awards has Star Wars won eh? Go on…tell me!” William rolled his eyes and knew he wasn’t going to win this argument. This had been a long running feud between the two of them. Since he’d seen Clerks II, he’d championed the cause of Star Wars but knew deep down, that the franchise had been screwed when Phantom Menace was released. There was no taking back that stinking turd of a film, nothing redeemable about it what so ever. Still, he fought on a rear guard action, always claiming the original trilogy was superior.

“I’m not getting into this with you again Duncan.”

“Ha! That’s because you know I’m right and you’re still a douche!” William glared at him. Sometimes his friend could be a pain in the ass.

At that moment, Anya and Uluvae walked into the dinning hall that Duncan and William were in.

“Are you boys fighting again? What is it over this time hmm? And what is a douche?” Anya asked with arched brows as she swept into the room, her luminous long silken gown flowing around her.

“Oh boy…Duncan…since you called it…you can answer it.” William sat back with a smug smile and folded his arms. This should be good he thought, lets see him try and weasel out of this one.

“Ahh…hello Lady Anya, Uluvae,” Duncan nodded and then paused to consider his answer. “Alright, a douche is a female hygiene product, specifically a water base wash which women use to clean their vaginas. That’s pretty much it isn’t William old sport?” Anya’s jaw dropped while Uluvae tried to stifle her giggles at Duncan’s dead pan candour.

“Does he speak the truth William?” Anya inquired, her eyes locking onto William who shifted uncomfortably.

“Unnhh…yeah…I suppose it is. You can ask Connie more about them if you like, I’m no expert.”

“Then why did Duncan call you a Douche? You do not look like a vagina cleaner?” Duncan howled with barely contained laughter, dropping his M-14 as he cackled aloud. William scowled and Anya looked confused.

“What is so amusing? I asked a simple question, why did you call William a water based vagina cleaner?” Anya further questioning just sent Duncan further into paroxysms of laughter. She scowled, voicing her exasperation with a low groan. William just shook his head as he tried not to laugh. Uluvae giggled as she watched Duncan guffaw helplessly. Slowly he stopped laughing, his face red and eyes streamed with tears. He managed to sit upright, still tittering and sniggering.

“Please,” he held up a hand, “please don’t ask me or Will to explain that one,” he started to laugh again but regained control barely after he saw Anya’s glare, “just accept that it was meant to be a friendly insult.” He heaved a huge sigh and sat back with a massive grin.

“I fail to see what is so amusing Captain Wilson. Female hygiene is an important part of a woman’s life and it is something the priestesses teach young girls. How you see calling William a vaginal cleaner insulting I do not understand. Oh stop it!” Duncan had fallen over backwards shrieking with laughter once more. Anya stood with her hands on her hips, almost ready to kick Duncan when she was distracted by William.

“Come on, leave him. He needs to stop being amused by you,” he said as he deftly escorted the miffed woman out of the hall. She was kept on raising the questions as she was lead out causing Duncan to bang the floor weakly with his hand as he giggled hysterically. Uluvae sat quietly her eyes alight with amusement as Duncan’s mirth was infectious but she knew to keep quiet and let him calm down. A few minutes later he’d managed to settle down again.

“You better know?” He nodded smiling as he wiped his eyes. “Good. You promise me to play more music tonight. You keep promise now.” She looked at him insistently

“Oh yeah…I nearly had forgotten....sorry ‘Vae. I have something better than music for you tonight.” Her expression became inquisitive.

“What? You tell me.”

“Tonight you are going to see a movie. It will be fun.”

“What is a movie?”

“It’s a story told in moving pictures, don’t worry, you will enjoy it. Tell Shir’le and the others to come here after the evening meal. I’ll have it all set up. Bring some pillows to sit on as well.” She arched an eyebrow quizzically but nodded. What ever he had planned, it was certain to be interesting.

“Okay, I go now. But tomorrow night we listen to music together…alone…yes?”

“Yes ‘Vae. I’d like that.” She beamed at him and then skipped out of the hall leaving him to clean up the guns and cleaning equipment.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

“Tell me again what the humans are planning to do tonight?” asked Shir’le. She looked up at Uluvae from her desk as she finished writing a scroll. Lledrith and Hallesia stood close by, ostensibly working with Kaori but keeping an ear on the conversation.

“Duncan asked that we come to the hall tonight as he wanted to show us a movie.” Uluvae resisted the urge to fidget as she felt the penetrating stare of her high priestess.

“What is a movie?”

“It is a form of entertainment. They tell stories through moving pictures and sounds.” Shir’le sat back, mildly intrigued by the prospect. The past week had been a challenging time for her and her faithful. The avatar of the goddess, Lisse, had insisted on new ways on looking at the world and approaching tasks. Shir’le had obeyed but it hard been hard to break millennia of tradition. Drow culture stretched back for thousands of years and yet she and her people where now being asked to change, literally over night. Not wanting to offend their goddess, her followers had accepted their tasks and began to adapt. Despite being traditionalist, the drow were also very intelligent and new better methods when they saw them.

Kaori had proven a wealth of information. Her knowledge on wound trauma management, which precluded the use of healing magic, had been a revelation. The priestesses had listened attentively, asking many questions of their new sister and learning much in the past few days. These simple yet practical ways, which she called first aid, would be used in instructing the peasantry to become more self reliant. In return Kaori had been busily documenting all the animal and plant life in the valley. She’d been fascinated by the appearance of many species that were common on earth such as many of the common domestic animals like cows, pigs, chickens and horses. She had postulated that because this world was a parallel one to Earth, that evolution and genetics had followed similar paths.

“If I may, this movie night will be an opportunity for you to observe and learn more about Earth culture. The technology alone will be enough to hold your attention,” Kaori politely suggested. Shir’le smiled at her newest priestess.

“Very well, we will attend this entertainment,” she said with a nod. “Was there anything else?”

“No high priestess, well…Duncan mentioned bringing pillows or cushions to sit on.”

“Ahh so desu. This is advisable as the movie will screen for at least 3 hours an sitting on wooden benches becomes tiresome. I would also recommend bringing food and drinks to enjoy. Back on Earth, many people would eat cooked corn kernels, called Popcorn. Since you have no corn we will have to forgo this but fruit and nuts as well as wines & liquors. It’s part of the experience and I think will help you enjoy it more,” Kaori added. Shir’le looked bemused at this concept.

“I shall look forward to it then. This new entertainment will be a welcome distraction from the past week I believe. Go and see to the preparations Uluvae,” she said as she dismissed Uluvae.

“Yes High Priestess.” Uluvae bowed and hurried from the room.

“Shall we inform the avatar of this activity?” asked Hallesia.

“No. The avatar of the goddess is in meditation and does not wish to be disturbed this evening. She is consolidating her powers and is quietly communing with the Golden One. I also believe she has already experienced the entertainment anyway,” noted Shir’le as she rolled up the scroll and tucked it into a case. Hallesia bowed and left with Lledrith leaving Shir’le alone with her thoughts.

She sat quietly, her eyes staring at the flame of a candle as she contemplated the future. The changes that the humans had wrought on her community were both subtle and profound. Already many of the younger drow were taking an interest in the new ways and methods the human soldiers practiced. Despite having a very competent history of martial prowess, the soldiers had shown new and inventive ways to wage what they called guerrilla warfare. The special forces soldiers, according to Anya, were masters in these tactics and methods and back on their world, often instructed new recruits in these techniques. The drow had readily adapted and absorbed the lessons which the human soldiers taught. She glanced down with a degree of apprehension at the pistol on her desk which she had been given. Although she appreciated the gift, the power the weapon represented made her uneasy. Still, if she was forced to use it, she would not hesitate for a moment and she respected its killing power after spending a day with the avatar who’d personally instructed her how to use the weapon. She packed away the gun, sliding it into the holster on her waist and went out to go to the movies.

The hall was packed. Over 40 drow, mostly female had shown up to see what this new entertainment was. An excited chatter echoed in the room while Duncan and Gavin fiddled with the projector and laptop trying to get the best focus. William sat nearby with Shir’le, Anya and Uluvae and explained as best he could the history of cinema. The women listened attentively, enchanted by the concept. William explained that they would be seeing actors, not real people and it was only a story, not a true history.

Duncan signalled to Faelan who, along with Sir Rogan, dimmed the Faerie lights in the hall. The hubbub of chatter increased until Shir’le shushed them into quiet. Soon on the wall an image was displayed of the laptops desktop as Duncan opened up the mediaplayer and set the film to play. The screen went dark and moments later the title screen appeared and the intro music began. It was fortunate that Lisse had imparted the knowledge of English to her faithful otherwise they would not have understood a word of what Galadriel was saying in the beginning. Then the images of the battle before Mount Doom appeared and there was an excited gasp from the audience as the action sequence played out. Duncan had to increase the volume to overcome the frenzied chatter of the women who watched the images and talked. He glanced at Shir’le who’s eyes were riveted on the screen before her. She faintly flinched as Sauron appeared on the battlefield but showed relief as he was defeated by Isildur.

The audience soon settled down, only occasionally breaking out into animated gossip and chatter at obvious moments. They commented on the hobbits, remarking how similar they were to the small folk who lived nearby in the next valley. When Arwen faced off against the wraiths, they were silent, admiring her courage and ingenuity in luring the wraiths into the trap of the river. There was further chatter over the Elves and the set of Rivendale but most of all over the romance between Arwen and Aragorn. Duncan realised you could have heard a pin drop during those scenes. He caught Uluvae giving him a long thoughtful glance after that scene.

The rest of the film went well with the highlight being the battle with the Balrog in Morior. When it appeared there were a visible reaction amongst the drow and Duncan heard them darkly murmur a word he was unfamiliar with; T’naari. After that scene the rest of the film passed without much comment except there were a few hoots of derision when Aragon single handed took on all the orcs in order to allow Frodo to escape. The film finished and the lights were brought up.

“So when do we see the next part of this story?” asked Shir’le.

“You enjoyed the film then?” asked Duncan as he shut down the laptop.

“I would not be asking to see the next film if I had not enjoyed it. Tell me, how is it possible that your story tellers could accurately capture the likeness of such creatures like the T’naari?” The other drow agreed with Shir’le.

“Eh? You mean the Balrog? I have no idea. To my knowledge those things are only figments of someones imagination.”

“Captain Wilson, let me tell you that if you ever have the misfortune to encounter one of those foul creatures, you will know before your soul is ripped screaming from your body, that they are most definitely real,” Shir’le said with cold certainty as she held his gaze for a long moment to make sure he knew she was deadly serious.

“You mean those things….they exist here…on this world?” She nodded slowly.

“They come from another plane, often summoned here by evil people. They are terrifying and deadly and are extremely difficult to kill. Even Anya would be hard pressed to defeat one in single combat.” Anya nodded in agreement with Shir’le’s assessment. Duncan paused for thought. There was so much to learn about this world and the way it mirrored Earth in so many ways.

“You still have yet to answer my original question Captain Wilson.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. We can screen the film now if you wish, although it is another 3 and half hours long.”

“Put it on. I am eager to see what happens next,” commanded Shir’le as she sat back on her pillows and poured herself another goblet of sweet wine.

“As you wish High Priestess,” complied Duncan. He inwardly sighed. It was going to be a long night.

It was way past midnight when the final credits began to roll from Return of the King. The audience quietly sniffed and wiped back tears as Frodo departed for the undying lands with Bilbo and Gandalf. Even Anya was deeply moved and much to his surprise, held onto Williams hand as she lets single tear trickle down her flawless features. Duncan rubbed his scratchy eyes and yawned. He stood and stretched, looked at his wristwatch and silently cursed as he was due to get up in 4 hours. So much for a quiet movie and a restful night he thought with resignation.

“That was wonderful. Thank you Duncan for sharing this marvellous story with us.” Shir’le had stood up and was full of vigour. “Such a tale of friendship, courage and tenacity must be shared. All the members of the audience voiced their agreement. Duncan grinned in triumph at William.

“See? I told you they’d love it!” Duncan crowed.

“Yeah yeah, lets wait and see till they’ve had a chace to watch Star Wars,” retorted William loftily.

Duncan just ignored William and knew that while the drow would be wowed by Star Wars, they’d never forget the story they’d just seen. He yawned as he packed off the laptop and headed back to the sleeping quarters. He was too tired to notice that most of the drow where busily chatting amongst themselves about the film.

William was asked many questions, quizzed on what other stories had been made into films and when could the next movie night be held? He gamely answered them as best he could and suggested that another film night could be arranged in a few nights time.