The Moonlights Shadow

Roleplaying can be a great source for stories. But whether your stories come from roleplaying or whether you wrote them separate of anything else, this is the forum to post your stories. These stories can be funny, dramatic, epic in scale, of very small scope, or really anything you can think of. Note that this forum is for posting stories only. Discussions on stories and even just simple compliments should be posted in the Out Of Character forum or by sending a private message to the author.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Uluvae walked along the forest trail deep in contemplation. The last 24 hours had been some of the most exciting and terrifying of her life. She’d experienced combat before however it was when they had the element of surprise. Being caught in the middle of a summoning ceremony with her guard down had unnerved her somewhat. Knowing she’d come extremely close to death made her shiver slightly. Yet the arrival of Duncan and the other world soldiers had saved her and her friends from being cut down by their sworn enemies. She knew that the goddess had intervened and that thought gave her great comfort. It was immensely reassuring to know that her goddess, even though she was dead on this plane, still existed elsewhere and was going to return home. Glancing up at the sky, she grew wistful. When she first came to the surface 20 years ago, the sight of the sky above her filled her with dread but know it made her think about endless possibilities. One of those possibilities was at the head of the column, out of her sight for now but not out of her thoughts.
I wonder what he’s thinking she mused idly as she twirled a strand of silvery blonde hair in her fingers. She looked ahead, hoping to catch a glimpse of him but all she could see was the trail winding its way through the forest. Pouting in disappointment, she suddenly noticed that Hallesia was watching her carefully with a slight frown of disapproval on her face. Uluvae quickly looked away, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. She felt herself run through a gamut of emotions. How could Hallesia judge her so harshly she wondered with a hint of petulance. Hallesia had been a high priestess for decades, she should know better. After all, the goddess preaches that we must follow our hearts and seek joy and love.
Uluvae then shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. What am I thinking she pondered. I’ve barely met this man, he doesn’t even believe in the gods and yet when I think of him my heart flutters like a tiny bird. She sighed and started to hum a soft tune to herself. Nothing was going to be easy, her mother had made that perfectly clear many years ago. Life was struggle, you had to face up to the realities of it or be overwhelmed by them. She’d learnt hard lessons but always had managed to come out ahead from them, taking the experience and growing from it. Perhaps this is another lesson then, a lesson of the heart she mused. Well then to the abyss what Hallesia thinks of my choice she decided impetuously. I’ll have this male and make him mine. She set her chin and smiled to herself as she walked along. Again she saw Hallesia watching her but this time she smiled sweetly back at her and broke out into song about two young lovers who eloped against the wishes of those who would have controlled them. Some of the women around Uluvae looked a little startled by her sudden burst of song but many of them soon joined in as it was a popular song with a catchy melody. Hallesia rolled her eyes and sighed.

“Lady Anya, what is that girl singing about?” inquired William as they walked along the trail together. The beautiful elven woman regarded Uluvae for a moment with a serene smile then turned back to William.

“She is singing a love song, a song about a girl who makes a man fall in love with her and they run away together to live happily long lives,” she answered with a bemused light dancing in her eyes. William looked back briefly at Uluvae and then caught Hallesia’s looks of disapproval at Uluvae.

“Ahh….I see. Hmm…well…I doubt you’re people would have heard of Stockholme syndrome before. It seems that young lady has got a bad case of it.”

“What is this you are referring to?” asked Anya

“It’s a label for a psychological condition, a mental ailment. When people undergo or experience a traumatic event and are then rescued they feel very attached to the rescuer. It seems that when Duncan saved that young girls life, she was so upset by the events she’d witnessed she immediately clung to the object of her deliverance. This would explain her infatuation for my friend. It usually passes within a few days.”

“You make it sound so detached, almost cool. Have you not experienced a rush of attraction then Captain?” she asked, her eyes looking deep into his. William felt a bit uncomfortable.

“I’ve had a few lovers but no one special if that’s what you’re asking.”

“I didn’t mean to pry dear Captain but you must understand that the faithful are passionate, ready to embrace life and love. They feel no shame but only joy and endearment. Perhaps there is something of this you could learn from?” she responded. He gave her a long searching look before resuming his marching pace.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Mike West watched William talk with the Elf lady or rather dragon in disguise. He shook his head ruefully. This was supposed to be his last tour. Twenty five years in the corps, since he was 17 years old. Now he was pushing 42, on a strange world and away from his family back in West Virginia and his commanding officer was all at sea talking about love and life with a fantasy creature. How much more fucked up beyond all recognition could this get? He made a mental note that if by some miracle he ever got back to earth alive to tell the tale then this would go down in Marine Corps history as the most FUBAR situation one can find yourself in. Actually it wasn’t all that bad really. After all, he still had almost a full load out of ammunition, the countryside seemed pretty much like the woods and forests he was familiar with and the women, well Drow or whatever they called themselves, were friendly and that made survival here a real chance.

He scanned the woods ahead periodically, hefting the M249-SAW and its weighty ammunition box. He’d be glad when they called a respite. He was getting too old for this sort of shit. Although he was still in top physical shape, he was finding it harder with every passing month to recover as quickly as he did when he was in his twenties. His wife had playfully teased him about the grey that had appeared in his hair near his temples. She said it gave him a distinguished air but it just made him feel old and not as invincible as he’d once felt. He paused for a moment and thought of his wife Amy. She and their daughter Shannon would be kept in the dark, not told the full story and perhaps would never know what truly had happened to him and the rest of the team. That made him feel a bit melancholy for a moment. He shrugged his shoulders, adjusting the weight of the machine gun and trudged onwards. No point in bitching about the situation, be a Marine! Improvise, adapt, overcome! That was the corps rationale, never let any situation, no matter how fucked up, get in the way of the mission and as far as he could see it, his mission was now to get home…somehow.

Balaena raised up her hand, signalling to Duncan and Gavin to halt and take a rest. The other scout, Lledrith, was still out of sight of the two soldiers. They sat down quietly, took out their canteens and drank from them. Duncan kept a watchful eye on the trail ahead but he felt confident enough in the girls trailcraft and scouting abilities now to trust that they were safe enough to stop and let the column catch up for the mid morning break.

“I’m going to have a bit of a wander about Gavin, stay here and keep the 2way on. I won’t go far.”

“Eh? You sure that’s a good idea Skipper? This is a pretty weird sorta place. Fuck knows what sorta wacko thingies are lurking out there in these woods,” muttered Gavin with concern.

“Nah, she’ll be right mate. Those two ladies know their stuff and I’d say we’re alright for now. The other one is no doubt ranging ahead. I just want to check out that little ridge line I glimpsed ahead. I think there may be a stream or spring near by too. I can almost smell the water.” Duncan smiled as he dumped his pack on the ground and hefted his weapon and made to move off. Balaena looked at him and motioned for him to stop.

“Now easy there miss, I’m just going for a walk. Don’t worry your pretty little head about it.” Duncan smiled at Balaena charmingly and winked at her. He also pantomimed the need to pee which she immediately understood and smiled back at him with a small giggle. She nodded and said something in her own language which he assumed was “don’t wander off to far”. He nodded and wandered off towards the forested ridge that was just off the left hand side of the trail they’d been following.

It didn’t take him long to cover the distance to the beginning of the ridge. He took note of the various types of granite like rocks and boulders that jutted out of the loamy forest floor as the ridge itself rose sharply, climbing to what he approximated to be 200 foot high at the top. He quickly clambered his way upto the top and saw that on the other side, was a small gorge which a small but fast running stream was flowing. He had a good view from the top of the ridge and looked out with his binoculars. The forest extended off towards what he approximated was east till it bumped up against a line of snow capped mountains. The mountains be at least 50 kilometres away and would have to be pretty massive. They ran in a north easterly direction. The view reminded him of the South Island of New Zealand. Looking out to the north and west, the forest continued on for quite a distance till it seemed to thin out into plains. He turned and looked at the way they had come, estimating they’d walked about 10 kilometres so far. All he could see was forest with the occasional outcrop of a rocky hill or ridge. It was a stunningly beautiful landscape, unspoilt and virgin. This is how the forests would have looked before industrialisation he thought.

He looked back at the stream and saw that the gorge widened out and that there was an easy way down to the swift flowing water. He made his way carefully down and was soon by the bubbling gushing stream. Cupping his hands, he knelt down and scooped a handful of water and splashed his head and neck. It was cold and refreshing. He could see large fish swimming in the many pools and wished he’d brought along his fishing line. They looked like trout but he wasn’t certain but one thing was for sure, that they’d be fun to try to catch. He sat back on a moss covered rock and smiled to himself. Even if he was on another world, it was still beautiful and it was moments like these that made life worth living.

He sat there for about five minutes before he sensed that he was being watched. He looked about and saw Lledrith watching him with a faint smile on her lips. She was only a few metres away from him yet he hadn’t heard a sound as she had approached where he was sitting. He grinned at her sheepishly and bowed his head to her. She nodded and moved to sit on the ground near him. Just as she was about to sit down she stopped and turned to look downstream. At first Duncan could hear nothing but moments later he could hear shouts and the clash of metal weapons echoing up from around where the stream bended and turned behind the gorge. Lledrith quickly snatched up her bow and dashed off downstream towards where the sound was coming from. Duncan sprang up from the rock and ran off after her. He splashed through the chilly stream water as it was easier that trying to hurdle the many rocks and boulders that littered the banks of the stream. Lledrith just seemed to fly over those obstacles with uncanny ease and grace.

They ran for a few hundred metres, covering the distance in quick time. The sound of a fight grew in intensity as they approached the bend in the gorge. He could hear low guttural growls and grunts as well as a few normal sounding voices bellowing away. As Duncan rounded the bend he saw Lledrith kneel and take aim with her bow and let loose an arrow. Target acquired he thought idly as he come across a scene of carnage. The gorge fell away once the stream had rounded the bend and ahead was a ford which where strewn two wagons. Bodies of people wearing golden coloured armour littered the stream but there were still three upright and swinging swords at their attackers. The attackers looked like huge dog like creatures that wore chain mail armour, walked on their hind legs and swung enormous two handed swords at the remaining survivors. The battle hadn’t all been one way as many dog things were laying dead on the ground but their greater numbers plus what appeared to be a well planned ambush had managed to overwhelm this little wagon train and its guards. He noted that one of the dog things that was floating face down in the stream had Lledriths’ arrow jutting out from the back of hits massive head. She notched another arrow, aim and let it fly with deadly accuracy. It speared through the skull of another of the creatures who had just cut down another of the warriors in golden plate like armour leaving just two. There were still 9 of dog things left and two had turned to face Duncan and Lledrith.

Duncan shouldered his M-14 and pulled out his pistol in a swift fluid motion, aimed and then opened fire. He fired two rounds at the ones facing him. The .45ACP rounds punched through the mail armour of the creatures with no problem at all, smashing them back with gaping sucking chest wounds. Sighting the remaining creatures, Duncan calmly fired two rounds apiece at them. He managed to nail five before his ammo ran out, while Lledrith had killed yet another with her bow. The warriors used the distraction of Duncan shots to rally and attack, slashing and hacking with their swords and managed to cut down the last of their attackers. They stood panting before one of them slowly reeled back, collapsing in the stream, blood following from a nasty wound to his side. The other wasn’t unscathed either, his armour was battered and blood ran down his left arm. He dropped his shield and sword in the stream, removed his helm and turned to help his fallen companion, pulling him to the stream bank.

Lledrith and Duncan slowly approached the two warriors. Duncan could hear them talking to each other and as he got closer, he could see that the fallen one was dying. He’d seen enough people who’d suffered massive wounds to know that the warrior laying in the muddy, blood soaked water and was only moments away from death. He fought down that feeling of helplessness, knowing that any attempt to save the dying man would be doomed to failure and use up precious medical supplies that might be used in saving someone who had a chance of life.

Lledrith stood by silently holding her bow, her head bowed as she quietly murmured a prayer to the goddess for the fallen. These paladins had been butchered by Gnolls of the black hide clans. She’d had heard rumours that a chapter of paladins was being sent to the temple to help aid the high priestess but had dismissed it as a fanciful rumour. Now she saw that her doubt in these noble warriors was very wrong and their mission was a failure.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

The two survivors were in the chilly stream. One lay supline, his helm had fallen off to reveal the face of an older man, his hair iron grey and his face gaunt and pale from blood loss and pain.
<in common> “Hold on Sir Alvinas, I will lay may hands upon thee and heel the wounds you have suffered,” said the one kneeling next to Sir Alvinas.
Sir Alvinas coughed weakly, blood flecking from his lips. He looked up into the stricken face of his protégée and smiled weakly.
<in common> “Do not mourn for me Rogan. I go now to join our lord in the Golden Fields and will sit by his side. Remember, you must do all you can to help the High Priestess and her sect. It is the sacred duty as laid down by our lord.” Sir Alvinas body shuddered painfully as another spasm of cough wracked through him. The older man fiercely gripped his students hand in his and his piercing blue eyes flashed with intensity. “Never forget the code to which you swore your life to my boy and always, always remember, no sacrifice, no victory!” His iron grip weakened on Rogans hand, his face relaxed as he looked beyond Rogans shoulder into the sky with wide eyes as he beheld something miraculous. “Oh my…they are coming for me. My days of faithful service are rewarded dear boy. It is like we learned Rogan, the Golden Ones ministers of grace are here,” he said feeble smile with awe and ecstasy on his face. Sir Alvinas coughed once more and sighed as his last breath escaped from his lips. His body went limp in Rogans arms. The lone knight sobbed once then raised his head to look upon the gathering vision of beings of golden light which began to form about them.

Duncan could somehow feel a gathering presence around them. The hair on his neck stood up on end and he looked down in awe as the fallen knights body began to glow with a soft pale golden light. All of the other fallen armoured warrior’s bodies began to glow as well. Lledrith fell to her knees, her head bowed in reverence and respect. Rogan looked up at something that Duncan could not see and beamed with elation and fervour. He held up his arms in praise and began to chant a litany of a prayer.

Duncan could just make out the outline of humanoid figures moving from body to body. A sense of great calm and peace washed over him. Then, one of the vague shapes then turned and moved towards him, stopping right in front of him. He began to feel a sense of elation and pure joy. The figure before him began to coalesce into a coherent shape causing him to squint as an intense burst of brilliant golden light shone forth from its body. He could just make out the image of the most perfect face looking at him with a beatific smile and a hint of curiosity in its eyes. Duncan felt himself falling to his knees before this sublime creature as it gently laid a blazing hand on his shoulder. He felt a lifetimes’ worth of shame and guilt, of all the transgressions, wrong deeds and mistakes he’d ever made well up and pour out of his soul. Tears ran down his cheeks and soft groan passed his lips. He heard a voice begin to speak which sounded like a deafening choir of heavenly music.

“Be at peace Duncan Wilson. I am Eifelazael, celestial servant of the Golden One and I bid you welcome to this world. The tears and remorse you feel are because I have seen your soul and have purged it of the sins and cares it carries. I know you do not believe in the divine however as I read from your mind images and knowledge that lay within and you should now know that this is your burning bush and the scales have fallen from your eyes. Always know that the Golden One believes in you Duncan, find your faith and it will set you free.” The celestial being smiled again and then vanished in another blaze of brilliant light.

Duncan knelt in the cold water, his face wet with his tears. He’d stopped weeping and took a long deep breath and shook his head to try to clear it. Lledrith gazed at him with an awestruck expression. The sole surviving knight, also looked at Duncan with a mixture of curiosity, awe and respect. He stood up, strode over to where Duncan was still kneeling and bowed. Duncan looked at him with a dumbfounded expression as the paladin began to speak to him.

<in common> “Well met stranger, milady. My thanks to you both for your timely rescue. It was fortunate that you were able to dispatch those foul creatures, and so effectively. Tell me good sir, who are you to be so blessed to be touched by one of the Golden Ones celestial ministers of grace?”

“Huh?”

<in common> “Good knight of the Loyal and True God, I fear my companion can not understand what you are saying. He is not from our plane, but in fact of another entirely and was brought to this world by my goddess,” Lledrith explained as she stood up and came over to where the Rogan and Duncan were.
“I am Lledrith of the Forest Temple, scout & tracker in service of the Dark Dancer. This ones’ name is Duncan. That’s all I know of him,” she added to the paladin.

Bowing politely to the Drow, Rogan spoke to her.
<in common> “Ahh my thanks good lady Lledrith of the Dark Dancer. I am Rogan, knight Initiate in service of the Golden One. As you can see, my brethren and I were on our way to your temple to lend our aid in its defence. Yet somehow we were betrayed. Only a few knew of our mission and the route we were to take.”

He paused for a moment to collect himself. He was still feeling devastated and shocked by the ambush and the deaths of his fellow knights but most of all, the death of his mentor, Sir Alvinas, had hit him the hardest.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

“Good lady Lledrith, I would ask a favour of you & your companion, that you aid me in burying my comrades before scavengers defile their bodies.”

“I would yet it would be prudent for me to head back to the main column and get extra help for this task. I will leave Duncan here with you as with his strange weapons, he is more than capable of fending off any threats that may pass this way and if not, then you both should retreat to safety,” she said as she shouldered her bow and prepared to leave.

Not understanding what was being said was irksome for Duncan. He gathered that Lledrith was going back for help. Holding up a hand and waving at her, he quickly got her attention before she was about to leave. Indicating with basic hand signals, he asked for her to stop and wait. He opened a pouch on his combat harness webbing and pulled out a radio receiver booster which he plugged into his headset. HE switched on the transmitter and started to speak.

“Taipan to Warlord, Taipan to Warlord, come in. Taipan to Warlord, Taipan to Warlord, come in, over,” he repeated into the microphone of the headset. He waited for thirty seconds before repeating the signal call again. HE waited another minute before a response came back.

“Warlord to Taipan, Warlord to Taipan, receiving you 3 by five. What’s up Duncan?” asked William over the radio.

“Taipan to Warlord, we’ve come across a small caravan of warriors who got ambushed by some weird walking 8 foot dog things who had two handed swords. There is only one survivor. Having communications issues with the locals here. Need A translator on the line. Can you put Lady Anya on please? Over.”

“Warlord to Taipan, understood. Will transfer to Lady Anya and guide her through procedure. Wait for her call sign which will be Draco. Over”

Duncan waited while at the same time noticing the curious looks he was getting from the knight and Lledrith. To them, it appeared that he was just talking to himself. I must look like a lunatic to them he thought. Then he heard Anya hesitantly call in.

“Umm...this is Draco…do I really have to call myself that William? I would prefer Lady Anya. Oh, the button is still on! Oops! My apologies Captain Wilson, this radio device is quite intriguing indeed. So much more reliable than a sending spell, they give me such a headache. I understand that you would like me to translate or speak with Lledrith? Oh…I’m supposed to say over now?” Duncan waited for a bit to make sure Anya had finished speaking before responding.

“Taipan to Lady Anya, affirmative. I will pass the radio over to Lledrith and she will explain the situation. Over.” He motioned for Lledrith to come over to him. She approached with her head tilted to one side looking at him with a curious half smile. He took off the headset, and pantomimed her putting it on. She quickly understood and placed the headset on while Duncan held the transmit button. He moved close to Lledrith and hit the button speaking into the mike.

“Taipan to Lady Anya, Lledrith is on the headset, you can speak to her now. Over.”

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

< I haven't been able to find time of late to really concentrate on writing this story but I'm making a renewed effort to get on with it>

- this is just a quck post as I will be regularly updating and adding more work to the story from now on -

Anya quickly mastered the use of the two way radio and relayed instructions to Lledrith. She felt that it was a little odd to keep saying over when she had finished speaking but it seemed to work and stop any chance of miscommunication. Ten of the faithful along with Consuela and Sergant Mike West were already off and jogging to where Lledrith and Captain Wilson and the paladin were waiting. The rest of the group continued moving along the trail with a greater sense of caution and more scouts went forward to patrol and check for signs of any further dangers. She handed the radio back to William Jefferson who took it from her and set it up again on his combat webbing with the signal still on. A quick glance about showed that they were now the last people to move out. Uluvae and Hallesia stood close by, patiently waiting for the pair to get moving.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Faelar crept stealthily along the edge of the gorge, observing the scene below. He could see that the battle was long over and that there was only one survivor of the group of knights he was supposed to meet and guide back to the temple. His curiosity was piqued as he watched Lleldrith and an unknown human speaking with the sole surviving knight of the group.
I wonder what Lledrith is doing here he thought to himself. He knew that there was a large group pf faithful that had gone out to one of the nearby sacred glades however it was odd that one of them would have gone off the path that lead from the glade back to the temple. Perhaps it was something to do with the oddly attired human who she was standing next to while talking with the knight. Deciding that he best find out what was going on, he stood up, shrugged aside his cloak which was aiding in his concealment and activated a small device on his belt then stepped forward from the edge of the cliff and floated gently down to the bottom of the gorge.
Lleldrith was the first to notice Faelar descending and called out to greet him as he landed gently on the ground. Duncan looked surprised to see this male drow floating down without any apparent mechanical aid or ropes.

“Vendui Faelar, what brings you out here?” asked Lledrith.

“Vendui priestess. I was sent here by the high priestess to meet this group of knights and guide them back to the temple but it appears that I was too late in getting here,” he stated quietly as he gazed about the area which was littered with the bodies of the knights and the gnolls who’d ambushed them. He turned to look at his friend, the sole surviving knight who was masking his grief with a mask of stoicism and resolve. “Lleldrith, who is this other fellow that is with you?”

“Good Faelar, I bring greetings from the order of the Golden Lion and thank you for coming to meet us here. Although my brethren have fallen, I will still carry on the mission and aid your temple in any way I can. The good lady Lleldrith has said that a number of her companions will be arriving shortly help bury the fallen with honour,” said knight Rogan. “The wagons containing the supplies were undamaged and although it goes against normal practise, we will remove the arms and armour of my brethren lest they be looted by brigands or other vile ones.”

Faelar nodded in silent agreement as the weapons and armour would be useful in equipping new recruits and it would be folly to leave such well made items to rust away or be looted by grave robbers. He walked over to where the wagons had been left and quickly unbuckled a shovel from the side of one of the wagons. He hung his cloak on the side of the wagon and moved to a sandy area just up from the ford in the river. “No time like the present,” he said as he set to digging graves. Rogan, Lleldrith and Duncan followed his example and soon were helping with the bitter task of burying the fallen knights.

They’d been at their task for almost an hour when they heard the sound of others approaching. Pausing and resting on their shovels, they soon saw a number of familiar and friendly faces approaching them. The female drow quickly set to work helping carry the dead and remove their gear which they piled carefully onto the wagons while Mike and Consuela helped with the digging. The women washed the bodies of the knights of the blood and dirt, treating them gently and respectfully. Eventually the sorrowful task was done and all of the knights had been lowered into the graves. A silence fell over the group as they contemplated the cheerless state of affairs of the dead knights who had volunteered to aid the faithful of the goddess and had paid the ultimate price. Knight Rogan stepped forward, his head held high as he sang a hymn for his fallen brothers. The others listened reverentially as he sang.

The three soldiers stood back from the main group who were clustered around the graves. They stood silently and watched as the drow women and Rogan and Faelar finished their service and began to fill in the graves. Mike West quietly whispered to Duncan.

“Well then, now that’s done with, what do you think we’ll be doing next sir?”

“Follow this lot to their home will be the best plan for now Mike.”

“I hope we don’t get hit with any further contacts with hostile creatures,” murmured Consuela as she eyed the bodies of the gnolls which the drow women had now piled into a heap and where preparing to cremate.

“Just stay alert and keep your safety off guys. This is a whole new dimension and its anyone’s guess as to what sort of bug eyed weirdness is going to jump out at us. The only thing that gives me any comfort are these women here. They seem to know how to handle themselves and I think we can trust them….for now,” Duncan said quietly. He shouldered his M-14 and with Mike and Consuela following behind him, set off up the trail to where the wagons were waiting.

Flasks of lamp oil and dried brush and leaves were thrown onto the pile of dead gnolls. Lleldrith motioned everyone to then step back then she closed her eyes and began to chant while holding out her left hand. A moment later a jet of flame leapt from her hand, splashing over the heap and igniting it instantly. The pile of corpses blazed intensely, sending foul oily smoke upwards. She stared at the inferno for a long moment, then turned on her heel and strode off towards the trail. The drow women, Faelar and Rogan followed her.

“Reyali, Nedialiss…you will drive the wagons. Faelar, run back to the temple please and let High Priestess Shir’le know what has happened here,” ordered Lleldrith. Two drow women immediately nodded and quickly climbed up onto the wagons, checking the reigns and traces.

“As you command priestess,’ acknowledged Faelar softly as he gathered his cloak and with a small smile, set off at a run down the trail.

Lleldrith walked over where Duncan and the others were standing and indicated that it was time to move off. They understood and followed her as she began to lead the small column away from the scene of so much recent death.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

As the column began to move off, Balaena jogged into view from around a bend in the path of the trail they were heading down. She waved her bow in greeting and hurried over to Lleldrith, nodding a brief greeting to Duncan and his fellow soldiers.

“Sister, I’ve scouted ahead and the way is clear but there were trail signs of a number of gnolls passing recently but they were travelling off the trail and heading north-west, away from here. I think the safer course of action to take will be to break off this trail and rejoin the main group instead of travelling on this trail.”

“Do you know of a side track we can use to get back on the main path back to the temple sister?”

“Yes I do but we will have to leave the wagons behind for now. We can hide them in the trees and release the animals and return later with a stronger party to retrieve them,” Balaena said as Sir Rogan approached. She looked him over with a bold appraising stare and quirked a small sultry smile. Making sure he could see her, she ran her tongue slowly over her top lip and in the silent hand language of the drow signalled to Lleldrith,
[i:3vqicuoa]“Now there is a nice big handsome stud! It’s been said that large human males were well endowed. I wouldn’t mind seeing how well he could plough my field. I wonder how long he’d last?” [/i:3vqicuoa]she quickly signalled.

Lleldrith gave Balaena a cool glance. Her crassness and lasciviousness were legendary and she glad for the distraction as Rogan stopped next her. He gave a short polite bow to Balaena who lowered her eyes and smiled sweetly at him.

“What is amiss good Lady Lleldrith?” he inquired.

“Balaena here has found the spoor of more gnolls. We will divert from this trail and rejoin the main group just to be prudent. We will have to hide the wagons and supplies you have brought but we will return for them as soon as possible.”

“Very well, I follow you lead,” he replied and then turned to Balaena in with a totally innocent expression on his face. “My lady, I thank you greatly for your compliment, and in answer to your first question, yes its’ all true and next, although I hardly know you but I’m game if you are and finally: all night long. Good day to you both ladies,” he replied to Balaena who was gapping in utter astonishment and embarrassment. He bowed politely again to both women and wandered off down the trail whistling a jaunty sailors tune.

Lleldrith laughed at her sister, [in drow] “HA! Too smart for your own good little sister! That will serve you right indeed,” she giggled as Balaena scowled and slunk off towards the rear of the column. The other drow women joined in the laughter as Balaena blushed and muttered.

“What’s got them all giggly captain?” asked Consuela as she’d not been able to understand what had been said.

“I have no idea but it seems Balaena is the butt of the joke,” replied Duncan with a bemused shrug. “Lets just follow them and see where they take us,” as he followed behind Lleldrith as she got the column moving.

Last edited by Talwyn Aureliano on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

It took four hours to divert off the trail, hide the wagons and rejoin the main body of the faithful. Lleldrith trotted over to Hallesia and Lady Anya and quickly explained what they’d done.

[in drow] “You have done well Lleldrith. I agree that it was best that you rejoin us here if there are war bands of gnolls loose in the forest. It is good that you thought to use the radio device of the human soldiers to inform us of your plans. It is proving remarkably useful indeed,” Hallesia said.

[in drow] “I suspect that these humans have other marvels that we will no doubt learn of soon enough. Captain Jefferson has been explaining the workings of many of the items they possess. I must say that their guns are both wondrous and terrifying at the same time. He seemed to deflect my questions when I asked him if they had other weapons but I suspect he’s being cautious around us,” added Lady Anya. Hallesia and Lleldrith nodded in agreement. They had both seen the devastating power of guns first hand and felt a little nervous with these humans standing nearby with these lethal weapons held lightly in their hands. “But back to the matter at hand, the sky is beginning to darken and we are still many miles from the temple so I suggest we make camp and rest for the evening. There is a small ridgeline about a mile east of here that will provide a good sight to camp.”

Hallesia nodded in agreement the turned to Lleldrith, “So its true about this knight Rogan said to Balaena then eh?” she asked with a dry smile.

“Oh yes, she’s been in hiding ever since. Although he looks young he’s as sharp as a pin and he has been trained to understand our languages. No wonder he was selected to be on this mission to aid our temple,” replied Lleldrith with a laugh. All three women laughed again as they thought about Balaena.

“Enough of our enjoyment of your sisters’ embarrassment for now. While it is amusing it doesn’t get us to our destination. Lady Anya, can you inform our human guests what we are planning please?” asked Hallesia.

“Of course,” Anya answered as she rose and walked off to where William was standing.

William greeted her with a smile. “Hello Lady Anya. So what is the plan?”

“Why do you think there is a plan Captain?” she inquired innocently.

“Well it seems that Hallesia, you and the girl named Lleldrith are in charge here and you’ve been having a leadership pow-wow amongst yourselves over there. So like any competent commanders, you’ve had a meeting to decide what to do next and have agreed on a course of action.”

She smiled at him. He was observant and intuitive, a fascinating human indeed. She nodded, “Yes Captain, we have a plan. We will march a mile eastwards and set up camp before nightfall as our scouts have reported signs of war bands of gnolls in the forest.”

“Ahh…these ‘gnolls’ are those dog like critters that Duncan and Lleldrith greased earlier on when they rescued that knight?”

‘If you mean greased as in killed, then yes, they are the same creatures. A loathsome species that is volatile, aggressive, rapacious and extremely dangerous. They are smell incredibly foul, like wet dog fur gone rotten. A disgusting bunch of vile miscreants!” she added wrinkling her fine nose in distatse at the thought of the scent of gnoll.

“I’m sure we’ll be able to shot down them doggies for you no problem my lady. They won’t any bother to us. In fact, we have a few devices that will help secure our camp from unwanted intruders. We’ll set them up once we’re encamped.”

“Oh really? What are these miracle devices then Captain?”

“I’m not one to spoil a surprise my lady. Now if you will please excuse me, it looks as though we are about to move out so I’ll let the rest of the team know,” he said with a smile as he walked off to relay instructions to the rest of the team.

“Oooh you do not play fair Captain. Be warned, do not test the patience of a dragon,” she called out after him with a mock pout. Turning away, she smiled to herself as she did indeed love a surprise and no doubt Captain William Jefferson had something interesting in mind.

Uluvae walked next to Lleldrith as the group headed to where they would be camping for the night.

“So what happened out there with the gnolls, ‘Llel?” she asked as she kept pace with the older drow scout.

Lleldrith walked along and raised an eyebrow at Uluvae’s question.
“What do you think happened ‘Vae? The gnolls attacked the group of knights and slaughtered them almost to a man. If that human Dun-can,” she struggled to pronounce his name,” and I had not arrived, they’d all be dead. That’s what happened.”

“Oh…oh…of course..yes. It was very brave of you and Duncan to battle all those gnolls.”

Lleldrith sniffed derisively. “Bravery had nothing to do with it. We acted without hesitation and killed, nothing more than that. That human has some impressive weapons and knows how to handle himself in a fight but I wonder how well he would do without them?” she mused as she walked along.

“I think he would do very well. I saw him kill a drow warrior from house Despana with his bare hands, with a single strike when we were attacked last night. He moved so fast, as fast as a male warrior of the best training,” said Uluvae with a hint of awe in her voice.

"Is that so? Well then, that is interesting. I did suspect that there was more to these off world soldiers than just their terrifying guns,” Lleldrith answered as she glanced over to where Duncan was walking. Uluvae followed to where Lleldrith was looking and when she saw Duncan caught his eye, she looked away quickly feeling suddenly shy. Lleldrith nodded to the man briefly, like one warrior to another and carried on walking along the trail.

“Uluvae, you have much to learn. You may be wise in the arcane arts and a novice priestess but you’re still young and there is much to experience…so much to learn. I was like you once, so alive and full of feelings…” Lleldrith paused as she remembered the past and they joys and pain from those times. Shaking her head she continued, “What I am trying to say is that do not be hesitant to experience new things but understand that all things are momentary, that nothing stays the same, that time changes everything,” she said with a soft melancholy sigh and continued walking.

Uluvae walked along next to Lleldrith and considered her words carefully.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

* authors note: the character named Mayumi will now be known as Masako. I've been re-writing the story from the begining and there will be changes *

The group soon reached the small rocky ridge that Lady Anya had spoken off. It was a sharply rising outcropping of granite and quartz, knifing out of the forest floor. The ridge ran for a hundred meters in either direction and was shaped like a hump, tapering off at either end. It was almost like a wall which rose to just above the tree canopy and had very steep sides. Small shrubs and bushes cling to cracks and gaps in the rock face. About a third of the way along the ridge was a tiny spring which trickled into a small pool.

Hallesia nodded in satisfaction. It was a good defensive spot to set up camp. She quickly issued commands to settle the two float disks which carried the wounded and unconscious figures of Masako and Hiro at the base of the ridge wall. Kaori stayed beside her patients, ensuring they were comfortable as well as keeping her weapon close by. Junchiro drove the mule up to where Kaori had settled down, parking it and switch it off and then he knelt down next to her.

[in Japanese] “How are they Kaori-san?”

[in Japanese] “Hiro is still under sedation but Masako’s condition has not changed. Her symptoms present like head wound trauma yet with the ability to do an MRI on her brain, I can only guess as to what, if any damage has occurred in her head,” she replied tiredly. She masked her deep concern over her friends’ condition. This whole mission had become something of a surreal nightmare for her. When she had volunteered for it, Masako had assured her it would be a simple thing yet she would be a part of history. Yet now here she was, stranded on an alien world surrounded by strange people that were definitely not human. It was reassuring to see that there were humans here on this world and as intriguing as this idea was, she hadn’t really had time to consider the scientific reasons as to why there would be at least two species of sentient humanoids. Parallel evolution perhaps? Also, Duncan had reported that he had encountered yet another species called Gnolls who were dog like in appearance yet were definitely intelligent as evidenced by their use of tools, weapons and tactics. In addition to all that, she had seen a dragon! Something from the myths of ancient times, a shape-shifting magic creature of immense power that at this moment was in the form of a beautiful elven women happily talking with Captain Jefferson.

She had watched Lady Anya speaking with Captain Jefferson over the course of the day and knew that the dragon was trying to learn as much as it could about were we had come from. The fact that it used some sort of force or means which enabled it to speak in English was baffling to say the least. That coupled with the displays of healing energies the drow women had used to cure the wounds that many of their number had suffered from the ambush was astonishing and she had no scientific explanation for this phenomena. Still, it was a great opportunity for science to learn so much about these new people, this new world and its wonders she thought with a faint smile.

She glanced over to Junchiro who was watching the drow women plus the few human ones set up camp.

[in Japanese] “They are remarkable Kaori-san. I am still thinking that we are in a dream, seeing monsters and legends walking about in front of our eyes yet I can reach out and touch them,” he said in a quiet voice.

She gave a low chuckle, [in Japanese] “I would be hesitant to touch these drow women Junchiro-san as I saw how fast and efficient they are with their swords. I think they might misconstrue your intentions.” He nodded in agreement as a couple of the drow women were now casually watching them, listening to them speak. He bowed politely to them. One raised an eyebrow while the other smiled and returned a small nod of recognition. They quickly returned to their tasks of preparing the campsite. Some small tents and shelters had already been set up and a couple of fire pits and a small latrine trench were quickly dug. Very efficient Junchiro thought approvingly, these people were not lazy or haphazard in their approach to living outdoors.

William and Mike West wandered over to where the mule was parked. Junchiro stood up as they arrived.

“I think we will need at least 6 claymores and 4 trip flares plus about 6 frag grenades and trip wires,” said William as he undogged the latches to the hatch of the mule. Just as he was a about to open the hatch, Warrant Officer Harry Nichols came jogging over.

“Hold on a moment there sir, you’d best let me get the goodies out of the mule,” said Harry as he skidded to a halt next to William.

“And why is that Warrant Officer?” asked William.

Harry struggled for a moment to come up with an excuse then exhaled and came clean, “Well sir….well…you see…I packed the mule….and well…there are a few things in there that aren’t regulation…and y’see I thought this was a milk run. I thought we would be having a bit of a party tonight rather than setting up for an ambush.”

“You’re telling me there are no claymores then Warrant Officer?” inquired William in a neutral tone.

“Oh there are claymore alright…it’s just they’re underneath all the rest of the stuff…sorta buried if you know what I mean?” replied Harry hopefully.

William gave Harry a long cool stare then shrugged his shoulders, “Alright then. Well you have now become the man in charge of unpacking the mule and setting up tonights ambush points. I will also be detailing you to take first and second watch tonight as well as be breakfast walla in the morning. Is that clear Harry?”

“As crystal sir!” said Harry saluting smartly.

“And you can also enlighten me as to what extras you and my reprobate of a fellow captain have decided to bring along on this so called milk run. It will be good to learn what it is we have as resources.”

“Ahh…of course…right you are Captain Jefferson!” said Harry enthusiastically as he quickly began to unload items out from the cargo hold of the mule. Boxes of ammunition, mostly 5.56mm as well as pistol rounds came out first. Six boxes of grenades were next, 2 fragmentation, 1 smoke and 1 thermite plus 2 of flash bangs. Next came 6 25 litre water containers, enough to supply a 12 man team for 4 days in the field. Harry then removed a small well wrapped box and placed it to one side. It appeared to be wrapped in a white sheet.

“What’s that?” asked William.

“Data projector sir,”

“What!?!”

“Data projector and movie screen sir. Captain Wilson thought we might want to watch a film or 2. We’ve got a load of files on a hard drive and we can just plug in the laptop and hook up the projector and string up the sheet and hey presto, instant movies.”

“I don’t believe how much of a joke you guys were treating this mission. Watching movies on active patrol? God save us!”

“Hey easy there big fella,” said Duncan reproachfully as he sauntered up to were the team was gathering. “Look, I know it looks bad but I just couldn’t take this mission seriously. Maybe it’s a sign I’m close to wanting out of this game. I’ll be straight and sharp if we’re in harms way, like we’re in now but on home turf? Nope…not going to deny me and my men a few home comforts.”
“Home comforts? Duncan….how does watching movies equate to being operationally sharp? C’mon man…this is just slack…even for you!” William said pessimistically.

“Well don’t get your panties all bunched up Will, we still have all the load out. Aww hell… having the data projector may be a stroke of pure bloody genius luck. Look…do you reckon any of our friendly natives have ever seen a movie before? No? Think about it…it may be a valuable way to reach out to these people or something we can trade with them for.”

William paused for a moment. He was a little annoyed at his old friends lackadaisical attitude and unprofessionalism but Duncan was never slack out in the field and always made sure that they had the right gear for every trip. Holding up a hand, “ Alright man…you’ve made your point,” he said in grudging apology. “What else is in there?”

“Well apart from the LAWS, eskies for the food, ice and beer, the medical supplies, a few bottles of rum, chocolate, nibbles and stuff, spare uniforms and swimmers plus the laptop, speakers and data projector plus extra field rations. I’d asked that the mess back at the base load up a curry for our dinner tonight. It’s Beef Rendang, plus Raita and it’s frozen in one of the eskies. There is ice-cream and tinned fruit for desert,” he added seeing the rest of the team perk up at the thought of a good hot cooked meal.

“Duncan my old buddy…I shoulda known you’d have had something special planned,” laughed William as he pounded Duncan on the shoulder with a friendly swipe.

“Oi, steady on old son…there is steak in whiskey cream sauce for tomorrow!” said Duncan as he rubbed his shoulder. Harry had meanwhile removed most of the items from the mule. He quickly removed a 2 kilo packet of rice from the dry stores. William noticed that there were other jars and packets in that plastic box but didn’t quite see what else was in there.

“I hope you brought coffee,” demanded Vince.

“Yep, and cream as well,” added Mike West.

“Got both, plus green tea for our Japanese friends.” Said Harry as he laid out a ground sheet and stared placing the items for the nights meal on it. A large stock pot which was also being using to hold the rum was taken out and set aside. Out of one of the eskies, a large block of frozen curry was taken out.

“Captain Jefferson, would you like to join us for a meal…oh I see you are already prepared,” said Anya as she walked up to the teams encampment. ‘May I ask what it is you will be having for your dinner?”

“We’re having curry Lady Anya,” replied William. Harry then quickly passed William a packet of soy and sweet chilli potato chips. He opened it and offered some to Anya. She paused, her keen senses smelling the contents. “Is this food?” she asked curiously.

“Potato chips, a snack food from our world. Try some your ladyship,” prompted Harry with a smile. She took a few and nibbled on them cautiously. A nod of agreement was her answer as she munched the rest of the chips in her hand. “Very tasty indeed. How are they made and what are those flavours? Spicy and savoury yet sweet and salty…most delicious indeed.” She was then handed an ice cold bottle of beer.

“The beer makes the chips go down even better Lady Anya, Here…a toast,” said William as he popped open his beer. “To new friends!” The team replied in unison in agreement. Anya sipped her beer and found the sweet malty hoppy taste was excellently refreshing. She studied at the label curiously. It had writing on it as well as a picture of a naked male infant with short stubby wings. Ahh this must be one of their remaining faeries she guessed. An odd looking one though.

Hallesia, Lleldrith and Uluvae ambled over to the group who had just toasted the beginnings of a new friendship. Hallesia looked very surprised when she was handed an ice cold bottle of beer. The other two women reacted similarly but looked pleased to be given something interesting and new.

[in drow] “What is this Anya?” asked Hallesia as she sniffed the beer suspiciously.

[in drow] “Very palatable ale if I may venture,” replied Anya as she took a swig from her beer. Hallesia followed her example and drank a mouthful of beer, swirling it in her mouth. She nodded as she swallowed, very tasty indeed. Uluvae had already started drinking hers and was eyeing off the bag of potato chips which was being passed around.

[in drow] “Can you ask our guests if they would join us for the evening meal please Anya?” asked Hallesia as she took a few chips and nibbled on them experimentally.

“Hallesia was also asking if you would join us for the evening meal.”

“I have an idea, why don’t we combine our meals tonight, share what we have. What was it you were going to have for your dinner Lady Anya?” asked William.

“I believe that one of the girls had shot a deer and they were going to roast that,” said Anya.

“Alright, I think we can extend the curry a bit more by adding the steak we were going to have tomorrow plus an extra jar of sauce, that’ll make enough for all to have a small dish.”

“That sounds good, now what is this curry you refer to?” Anya asked as she snaffled some more chips from the new bag before Uluvae got her hands on it.

“It’s like a spicy meat stew Lady Anya,” answered Duncan. “Very flavoursome and rich.”

“I look forward to trying it tonight,’ she said and translated this for the drow next to her. They peered curiously at Harry as he set up the large pot and popped the curry in and set to cutting up the extra meat.

“Alright people, snack time is over. Lets leave Harry and Duncan to their devices and go out and set up the claymore and trip wires,” ordered William. “Lady Anya, could you ask Lleldrith to come with us so I can show her were we will be placing our surprises for any unwanted guests.” She quickly relayed this to Lleldrith who had just finished her beer and was eating the last of the chips. Lleldrith slowly nodded in agreement. [in drow] “Tell him I’ll warn our women about their devices.

“Lleldrith will make sure the faithful know of your little traps,” said Anya.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Uluvae stayed behind to observe Duncan and Harry preparing the evening meal. She’d enjoyed the cold beer and thought the chips were very nice, not as delicious as the chocolate bars but still very moorish. She watched the two human males with a degree of amusement and inquisitiveness. They seemed to know what they were doing in regards to food preparation which was something of a minor surprise as cooking was often regarded as women’s work.

The aromas and scents that started to waft from the large pot were completely alien to her. Pungent and rich spicy scents filled her senses as Harry reheated the curry on the small propane burner he’d assembled. Even the heating device they used was a minor marvel. A small metal cylinder attached to a little stand which the pot sat on emitted a constant hot blue flame which they controlled its intensity by simply turning a small dial. She remembers useful magical cooking ranges back in the underworld where she’d grown up but had never really paid much attention to them as that was slaves work. Her attitude had changed drastically though since her conversion and flight from her former home.

She quietly approached the two men, standing nearby to observe more closely. Duncan looked up from where he’d been slicing up frozen steaks.

“Hello Uluvae, how are you this evening?” he asked with a friendly smile. She recognised he was greeting her and smiled shyly at him.

“Hello Duncan, I good,” she said slowly, making sure to pronounce the words correctly.

“I am good,” Duncan repeated for her. She nodded and repeated the phrase a few times. She then asked Harry how he was and he replied in the same way. She beamed with delight as she was beginning to understand the basics of their language.

“Harry, can you manage the rest of this? I’m going to set up the laptop and try and run through some things with Miss Uluvae here. Try and see if she can pick up our alphabet.”

‘Sure thing skipper, I’ll just quickly fry up the steak and let it simmer with the rest of the stock,” Harry said amiably as he added the sliced meat to the slowly bubbling curry.

“Uluvae, could you come over here please,” Duncan, with a beckoning wave, asking her to follow him around the side of the mule. She nodded and followed him. He pulled out the teams laptop from its protective case, plugged it into the mules power supply and switched it on. She watched fascinated as the black screen flicked into life with a picture, some writing and a small chime. She looked at the device, with what appeared to be a myriad of buttons each covered with a rune or symbol, some of them with more than one symbol.

The laptop quickly finished its boot up sequence and Duncan quickly tapped in the security code. Uluvae now realised the function of the buttons; that they were letters that seemed to make the machine respond. He quickly opened up MS word and expanded the text setting to 48 point size and pressed the A key.

“Uluvae,” he pointed at the letter A on the screen. “A.” He repeated it. She nodded and mirrored the sound he made. They quickly ran through the entire alphabet and then went onto the numbers. She understood and learned extremely quickly the function of the buttons of the machine which Duncan called a Laptop Computer. It was quite miraculous. All you had to do was press a button and a picture of a letter would appear. She was enthralled by it. He then started to key in simple worlds and got her to sound them out. Yes, no, good, bad, hello, goodbye, and many others which she learnt and memorised with growing confidence. He had also gotten out a note pad and pen and had written down the alphabet for her which she held and used as a reference.

Duncan was quite impressed at the rate this young drow woman was absorbing and learning English. He’d help teach the language to foreign militias he’d trained as a military specialist like in Afghanistan and Iraq but had never seen anyone come to grips with English so quickly. She must be a real genius he thought. He watched her as she started to piece together more complex words and phrases, her brow furrowed in concentration. She would brush back a stray tendril of her silvery blonde hair from her face as she leant in close to read the words.

The light was fading and Duncan switched on a Coleman electric lantern. Uluvae briefly examined the device and noted how to turn it on and off with the switch. She quickly returned to her studies of English at the computer. She’d already mastered how to use the touch pad to guide the cursor and use the return key. Duncan gently interrupted her concentration with a touch on her hand.

“I'd like to show you something else now,” he said.

“Ok, show me,” she said happily using the new idioms and words as she sat back and watched as he minimised Word and opened up My Pictures. She then saw pictures of incredible clarity and detail appear. The first to show was of a lush green field with red flowers growing in it.

“These are pictures of my world Uluvae. Just use the mouse button like I showed you to open up the next picture.”

“I understand, my thanks,” she replied with an excited smile. New pictures flashed before her eyes, pictures of astonishing landscapes, beautiful visions of sunsets and touching pictures of people and she soon realised that these were pictures of the team members friends and family as often she would recognize their faces amongst the others in the pictures.

She was stunned by the incredible scale of their cities. Massive towers of glass and stone in which no doubt thousands of people lived and worked. Such wonder and power was almost beyond her comprehension. The world in which Duncan had come from had no magic but these people had created something incredible that in a way dwarfed anything she had seen or heard of on her world. Even the mighty city of Belaphron, many miles to the Southwest which had over a million inhabitants, was a crude town when compared to cities like New York or Tokyo or Sydney. Duncan, sitting next to her had been naming the places for her so she would recognize and learn more new words and places. She had soon run through all the pictures in the file and started to watch them all from the beginning again.

He interrupted the picture show, clicking on iTunes and selecting a playlist. Uluvae observed how he had selected the icon which started the application and saw the lists of hundreds of titles which she knew were music. The melodious twang of guitar strings rang out as Ry Cooder’s “Great Dream from Heaven” began to play. She listened enraptured to this short but delicate piece. A simple tune that resonated in the evening air causing those nearby to stop what they were doing and listen. She closed her eyes and let the music take her away. The tune finished and was followed by [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30bDcvDqBXY:3gv2kb1p]“Ashokan Farewell”.[/url:3gv2kb1p]

Conversations ceased and a hushed silence fell over the camp as Duncan quietly increased the volume so all could hear the music. The violins haunting strains attracted drow women to come closer to listen in as the civil war era instrumental piece played out from the small yet powerful speakers Duncan had plugged in. Some of the women soon were humming in harmony with the music. Uluvae squeezed Duncan’s hand appreciatively for letting her and her friends hear this new music.

“Thank you Duncan, that was lovely,” she said with bright shining eyes.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

“My pleasure Uluvae,” Duncan replied happily. He was greatly enjoying teaching this radiant and exotic young woman. Her keen intelligence and genuine curiosity intrigued him and despite the extremely obvious fact she was not human, she was alluring and beguiling. I’ll have to watch myself with her, I just can’t let myself become involved with her mores the pity he thought regretfully. He glanced at her again, looking at her coal blue black skin and elven ears. So alien to his own yet oddly familiar. He noticed that they were practically right next to each other, their legs brushes up against each other. He could smell the vestiges of her perfume mixed in with the sweat of a days travel. She seemed to be unaware of their proximity or didn’t care.

He shifted slightly away from her. She glanced up from the laptop screen which she’d been studying, her amber eyes looking at him searchingly.

“I need to check on Harry,” he said indicating to where Harry was still busily cooking he said standing up away from her. “You can keep playing with the machine.”

“Oh, ok. You come back and show me more? Play more music?”

“Yes, I will come back. You can play any music you want to, you know how,” he said as he edged away from her as nonchalantly as possible. She smiled and returned to gazing at the screen. Duncan quickly scurried over to where Harry was seated on a fold out camp occasionally stirring the pot. He gave Duncan a wry smile.
“What’s up skipper?”

“Hmm? Oh nothing, just wanted to see how things where going here with you Harry. Everything alright?” he asked in a slightly distracted tone as he glanced back to where Uluvae was sitting.

“All honky dorey here skipper. Dinner is pretty much done. I was going to let it sit and fry up some pappadums, you can give me a hand with that if you like. Looks like you need something else to do eh?” Harry replied with a knowing smirk as he looked over to Uluvae then back to Duncan.

“Lets just focus on dinner eh?” muttered Duncan as he took the large pot of the stove and replaced it with a shallow pan with some oil to heat through.

Uluvae had returned to playing with the computer. She giggled in delight as she opened and closed application. Some of the other drow had come over and were looking inquisitively over her shoulder as she played with the device.

[in drow] “Play some more music ‘Vae,” cajoled Ysolte. The other girls also joined in, asking for more music to be played from the humans wonderful device.

[in drow] “Very well…hmm..perhaps we might enjoy this one? I can’t quite read all of the title yet but it seems to be a love song,” said Uluvae as she selected [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwB5rqr1to:oquyx19q]“Whole Lotta Love”[/url:oquyx19q] on the playlist and turned up the volume even further before pressing play. The pounding throbbing driving electric guitar rhythms of Led Zepplin crashed into the still night air. The drow girls stood in complete shock as the incessant melody rang out along with Robert Plants banshee howling voice assaulted their senses.

[in drow] “TURN IT OFF!” yelled Hallesia furiously as she stormed up to the stunned group.

“Oh shit!” Duncan came hurrying over as Uluvae was frantically trying to remember how to stop the music.

He saw crackling energy start to form in Hallesia’s hands and her lavender eyes were flashing balefully as she glared at the speakers which continued to blare out the Led Zepplin classic. He snatched out the cord from the speakers causing them to fall silent and lurched over to hit the pause on the iTunes. Ysolte and Geiselle had managed to interpose themselves between the highly annoyed Hallesia and the laptop.

Hallesia snarled at Uluvae, [in drow] “What are you doing foolish girl? You meddle with things you don’t understand and signal to every Gnoll in the forest where we are with that demonic howling!” She whirled on the others standing nearby. “You lot, get back to your duties!” she snarled. The drow girls scurried off sharply, avoiding Hallesia’s wrathful gaze. She turned back to Uluvae who was still sitting in front of the laptop with a miserable expression on her face. “And you my wayward novice will come with me NOW and you will tell me what you have learned so far about these humans!” he tone was sharp and final. Uluvae looked momentarily defiant as she held Hallesia’s gaze but dropped her eyes and nodded meekly. Hallesia glared angrily at Duncan as she grabbed Uluvae by the arm and frog marched her away.

“Phew skipper…that one is sure pissed and she blames you,” said Harry quietly as he stood next to Duncan.

‘Well I can’t really blame her. You heard how loud that was. It would have been heard for miles. It was my own fault. I should have not left her alone with the laptop,” Duncan said ruefully as he quietly shutdown the machine and began packing it away.
William came jogging in with an annoyed look on his face.

“What the fuck is going on Duncan? You having an impromptu Zepplin review concert eh?”

“I screwed up Will…sorry,” said Duncan as he packed the laptop and speakers into the case and placed them back in the mule. He gathered his weapon and night vision goggles. “I’m going out and will be out for a while.” He strode off before William could say anything further.

William breathed a sigh of exasperation. He looked about to see Anya walking towards him.

“Captain Jefferson, I do not think I have to remind you we are in dangerous territory and drawing attention to ourselves unnecessarily may result in lives being lost,” she said primly as she stood in front of him, fixing him with a steely gaze.

“I apologise Lady Anya. It seems Duncan had left one of the drow girls alone with the laptop and she managed to turn up the volume on a particularly loud track. It won’t happen again, I assure you.”

“I hope for your sakes it does not.” She paused for a moment then continued in a softer tone, “You and your comrades are still welcome to join us for the evening meal. Let us try to look past this.”

“Thanks my lady,” he said gratefully. “Captain Wilson will not be joining us though.”

“Oh? Why?”

William shook his head. “He’s angry at himself for letting this mistake to happen and doesn’t want to be around people right now.”

“That is foolish of him,” she said disapprovingly. “We all make mistakes in our lives. The mark of true wisdom and intelligence is that we learn from them and not repeat them nor obsess unduly over past failures.”

“Yeah I know but Duncan is a professional and this sort of mistake is something a new recruit would make so it makes him look bad. It won’t happen again, I can assure you on that.”

“I believe you Captain. I understand a bit more about you and the men and women who you command here. Come,” she said, indicating for him to follow, “we must go and let Hallesia know that this will not happen again. She is quite angry at the moment and poor Uluvae is taking the brunt of her ire.”

Uluvae stood silently as Hallesia walked around her slowly. She almost dared not to breath lest that annoy Hallesia. A black wave of gloomy despair had settled in on her as she’d been frog marched out of the camp to be castigated. She felt utterly miserable but refused to show Hallesia any sign of weakness, she was made of tougher stuff.

Hallesia stopped pacing and after a moment, threw her hands in the air with a snarl of helpless frustration. “What am I to do with you ussta waela waelin wanre?” She frowned at the young girl who stood silently in front of her, eyes downcast. Good, at least she isn’t snivelling she thought with grudging approval. “Well? No answer then hmm? I thought you were supposed to be one of the most intelligent girls to have escaped from the dark and embraced the faith but it appears you are nothing more than a waele ligrr vel'uss zhah pholudeq a natha il'yivera jaluk!”

Uluvae looked back at Hallesia defiantly. “So what if I find the human enticing? It’s my heart to give, not yours and besides, no one would want anyone as harsh as you!” She gasped after she’d finished speaking, realising what she’d just said. She stood ready as Hallesia was suddenly deathly still, her eyes blazing fiercely with barely controlled rage, her fists bunched tightly. Uluvae opened her mouth to apologise but Hallesia spoke first in a low tone.

“You know nothing about me girl nor who I would love or who loved me. If you were not a member of the faith I would kill you for what you have said. Get out of my sight!”

Uluvae fled Hallesia’s wrath. Running past a startled Anya and William, she cast a spell of invisibility before dashing back to the camp and grabbing up her pack and some food then ran off into the woods. Anya gesture to William to return to the camp and walked up to Hallesia who was staring passively up at the shining moon. She stood silently next to her friend.

“She’s run off hasn’t she?” Hallesia asked with a sigh. Anya nodded. Hallesia looked about shaking her head ruefully. “Silly girl…all I wanted to tell her was not to rush into things, not to get close to this human male. Nothing good comes from it,” she said bitterly.
“Nothing? Nothing at all? Oh Hallesia, you know that is not true. You are trying to protect the girl but she needs to learn on her own, make her own mistakes. And you do your husband a great disservice by saying nothing good ever came from the love between a drow and human.”

Hallesia’s shoulders slumped as a tear trickled down her cheek. “….I miss him so much Anya…everyday I wake and for a tiny moment I think he is there next to me and then I realise he has been dead for over 30 years. I don’t want Uluvae to endure this pain. She just doesn’t know how hard it is to watch the only man you will ever love wither and die while you will go on for years and years without him,” she said in a broken hollow voice. Anya embraced her friend gently whose shoulders shuddered with silent sobs.

“It’s up to the goddess to decide her fate Hallesia. We can only offer our wisdom and experience to the younger ones, they can choose to listen or not,” she said soothingly as she held her friend tenderly. She let Hallesia cry out her pain and loss. Soon Hallesia had regained her composure, wiping her nose on a handkerchief which Anya handed her.

“So much for drow hardness eh old friend?” Hallesia said with an apologetic smile.

“Pfft…I always knew it was a front. Besides…the goddess shows that a gentle heart is often more resilient than one made of stone. A stone heart will shatter but a gentle one will absorb the blows that misfortune flings at it. Come, let us try and find our wayward novice priestess mage before she gets herself killed and we cry for something truly tragic.”

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Uluvae ran heedlessly into the night, her cheeks burning with shame. Her temper had caused her to lash out at her teacher and now it was too late to go back. She would just keep running, get away far as possible and never be heard from again. Branches and sticks whipped at her face as she rushed through the forest trying to put as much distance between her and Hallesia as possible.

Suddenly she was flying forward, her foot tripping on a tree root sending her ploughing painfully face first into the ground. She screamed in pain, anger and frustration. Twice in two days she’d fell face first and her nose really hurt. She just lay on the ground snivelling with self pity.

A harsh bark startled her out of her misery. Woozily she sat up listening. Somewhere out in the forest, she could hear low growls and snarls. An ice shaft of fear ran down her spine, Gnolls! In her blind wretchedness she’d rushed out thoughtlessly out into the forest which were being patrolled by Gnoll War bands. Hallesia will see this bitter justice and my rightful comeuppance she thought bitterly as she struggled to her feet. She winced in agony as she tried to put her full weight on her twisted ankle. Biting her lip she hobbled over to a fallen tree to sit on and try and cast a healing spell on herself. She sat gingerly and propped her left foot up to see how bad the injury was. The swelling had already begun and the ankle looked puffy and tender. It throbbed painfully as she gritted her teeth to concentrate on pushing out the pain and call on the healing energies that all novices of the goddess could use.

Chanting as quietly as she could, she intoned the prayer to the goddess, calling for her aid to heal the wound she was suffering. Almost instantly the pain ceased and the throbbing stopped and the swelling went down. That’s new she thought. Normally it would take much longer for the magic to work, sometimes over a few minutes for the spell to take effect. Feeling pleased with herself for this new feat, she was about to get up when close by she heard the loud sound of twigs snapping as they were being stepped on. A low growl rumbled out. She froze again, hardly breathing. Her eyes peered into the gloom, trying to see the heat signatures of the nearby Gnolls. Her keen ears twitched slightly as she listened carefully trying to position where the Gnolls were.

Another snap, this time off to her right and much closer. The glowing body heat of a Gnoll came into view from behind a curtain of brush. It was only 50 feet away and coming in her direction. Soon another came behind it and another, all moving slowly and carefully, sniffing the air for any scents. She realised she was still up wind from them else they’d had charged her and torn her to pieces. Thinking fast she concentrated on what spells she could use to defend herself. The invisibility had collapsed as soon as she’d cast the healing spell and there was no way of her outrunning these deadly foes. She had at her call her magic missiles, a shield spell, burning hands, 2 webs plus the scorcher, a fireball and a blink spell but she’d neglected to memorise any forth circle spells today. She settled on the web as he first spell.

Gathering a pinch of spiders web from her spell components pouch, she was about to start incanting when a hand covered her mouth and pulled her close to a hard body almost causing her to scream in shock.

She turned to struggle about then saw Duncans camouflaged painted face staring intently at her with his finger over his lips indicating her to remain silent. He’d come up behind and she’d not heard him! She trembled in his arms slightly, terror and relief running through her. He released her slowly, pointing in the direction of the gnolls then pointed at her to go in the other direction. She shook her head, instead pointing towards the gnolls and waving a hand in their direction. Duncan frowned and gestured for her to run away again. She thrust her jaw out and scowled at him shaking her head in defiance. He was about to push her away when a roar went up 40 feet away.

“Aww fuck it,” he said as he unslung his rifle and brought it up to take a sight on the charging gnolls. Uluvae knew what would come next and quickly jammed the spider’s web she was holding into her ears just in time as Duncan’s M-14 cracked into life. The muzzle flash blinded her night vision and although she’d managed to plug her ears, the deafening bangs from the automatic rifle were still unsettling. She concentrated on blocking out the noise, chanting now without bothering to hide herself now and flung a second piece of web at the charging Gnolls.

A sticky web sprayed out in a fanning arc from her fingers, gumming up the trees and bushes in front of her and Duncan and catching the dozen gnolls who Duncan hadn’t yet gunned down. He blinked in amazement and stopped firing momentarily to look at the dark skinned girl next to him.

Uluvae glowered at him, “Bang bang!” she shouted at him gesturing at him to keep shooting at the Gnolls who were slowly writhing and hacking their way through the web. He brought the M-14 back up and squeezed off 3 shot bursts. The gnolls howled and screamed as the heavy 7.62mm full metal jacket rounds ripped through their motley hides and armour. Blood and gore blossomed as the bullets tore into the helpless gnolls. She grinned savagely as the Gnolls were slaughtered. The M-14 ceased firing as the magazine ran empty. Duncan, quickly popped the release and was inserting a fresh clip when a huge gnoll came charging in from the right. It’s had avoided the web and circled around to come barrelling in. It swung it’s axe at Duncan who barely managed to block it with the M-14.

Uluvae stepped back and let fly her magic missiles. Four silvery bolts of light shot forth from her hand and slammed into the Gnoll sending it reeling backwards. It was still alive but Duncan snapped up the M-14 and ripped off a burst at point blank range, straight into the Gnolls chest. The kinetic engery of the high velocity rounds picked up the massive creature and flung it backwards, it’s guts spraying out in a globby crimson shower.

“LOR DOEB GAER PH' MZILD!” shouted Uluvae as 4 more Gnolls came charging in at them. She sent another spray of missiles at the leader as Duncan switched to full auto, firing from the hip, the muzzle flash lighting up the dark forest in hazy yellowy red light. Their combined fire scythed down the charging Gnolls in seconds. From behind them they heard the crashing and spaning of foliage as another huge gnolls leaped out onto Duncan. He managed to deflect its axe stroke but the momentum of the Gnolls charge had sent them sprawling as it crashed into him. Uluvae shrieked.

The Gnoll grappled with Duncan and was trying to bite his neck. He head-butted it in the face, the rim of his helmet smashing to the Gnolls teeth causing it to howl in agony. Another blast of missiles struck the Gnoll in the back then Uluvae drew out her short sword and leaped screaming onto it’s back stabbing at it fiercely. The blade glanced off the back of it’s breast plate. The gnolls was trying to claw off Duncan’s face who in turn was trying to launch another head butt at his attacker. Uluvae grabbed the Gnoll by an ear pulling it’s head up and drove her short sword deep into its neck. A gurgling rattle came from the beast as it spasmed and bucked in its death throes. Duncan rolled out from underneath it as Uluvae pulled out her blade, sending a spurt of foul smelling black blood out.

He pulled out his pistol as he rose to his feet, scanning about for more targets. Nothing moved. Both he and Uluvae were panting heavily, drawing in lungfulls of cold night air. They looked at each other for a long moment before speaking.

“You silly girl, why didn’t you run when I told you?” he asked harshly.

“Ele kat dos waele jaluk?” she retorted with blazing eyes.

“Eh? What was that you said?”

“Screa ussta xanalress t'yin wael ka dos ssinssrin ulu kampi'un,” she said dismissively as she began to gather her things.

“Hey, what’s wrong with you?” he asked as he came forward. He took hold of her arm and she angrily tried to pull away. He gripped her arm harder, hauling her into him.
“Easy now ‘Vae, don’t fight me, I’m your friend,” he said soothingly to her. She struggled for a moment longer but then became passive. Soon a sob escaped her lips and she began to cry, beating her hands on his chest slowly.

“Hey hey..easy there, its alright…its all over,” he said as he held her letting her get over the trauma of post combat. She soon stopped crying and suddenly started laughing, a silvery peel of joy into the night air. He looked down at her enquiringly as she giggled almost hysterically. Her hair was like last night, all matted with leave litter and her face was covered with dirt but he’d never seen anyone more beautiful. Gently caressing her cheek he cupped her chin and suddenly kissed her, stifling her laughter.
She responded instantly to his kiss, and wrapped her arms about his neck and returned the kiss with an urgent passion of someone who has just stared death in the face in was revelling in the joy of life. They held onto each other tightly, the closeness of the other reaffirming their senses that they were alive. Slowly he broke away from the kiss and brushed some dirt away from her face.

“I’m going straight to hell for this I think,” he muttered. She looked at him quizzically, trying to understand what he’d just said. “Never mind Uluvae, you are good,” he said with a reassuring smile. She beamed at him, her face lighting up with that magical smile of hers.

“Yes I can vouch for that old son, hell is waiting for your ass and old Nick is stoking the fires as we speak. Now if you’ve finished fondling the local girl, maybe we can get back to camp and you two can clean up,” said William with a huge grin as he, Lledrith, Hallesia, Anya and Consuela plus 6 more drow females came out of the darkened forest to where Duncan and Uluvae where standing.

“Ahh Will old buddy, where the fuck were you when the shit hit the fan eh? Never mind, me and this very capable lady here took care of business,” said Duncan lightly.

“So we can see Captain Wilson. In fact we heard your battle and came as fast as we could,” remarked Anya as she surveyed the carnage which Uluvae and Duncan had wrecked upon the Gnoll war band. Over 24 Gnolls killed by them, and two Gnoll chieftains in close combat she noted. Uluvae wrapped her arms around Duncan’s waist as they began to walk back. He thought to disengage himself when he caught Hallesia looking at them, but something in the expression her on face changed his mind. She no longer looked angry just sad yet slightly hopeful as well. He put his arm over Uluvaes’ shoulder and slung his rifle over his other shoulder and followed the group back to camp.

The rest of the evening passed without incident although there was quite a reaction to the Beef Rendang from the local inhabitants. The drow women thought the spicy curry was marvellous even if a bit hot. Anya found the flavour overwhelming but still tasty. The fiery spices in the dish made her eyes and nose run forcing her to drink two more of the soldiers beers. She stayed well away from the substance Harry and Duncan called chilli sambal and spicy mango pickle. Even the drow were wary of the after Uluvae bravely tried to eat some. Her eyes had bulged and she had run about panting, waving a hand over her tongue trying to cool it down and gratefully drained a bottle of beer and ate a large serving of the minty yoghurt vegetable dish called Raita which Duncan had made her eat to calm her down. Sir Rogan had been game as well and tried the infernal condiments and manfully held his nerve but it was obvious he was suffering. He smiled weakly as a bowl of Raita was handed to him and chewed slowly to relieve the pain he felt in his mouth.

Rogan had felt a bit let down by earlier events. He didn’t know what to make of the strange human soldiers who Lady Anya had said had arrived from another world by the power of her dead goddess. He didn’t question that wisdom but could not understand why their goddess had chosen these strangers to come to his world. Rogan also felt that he was really not able to accomplish anything worthwhile. The man named Captain Wilson and the drow girl Uluvae had come back earlier in triumph after facing off against over 2 dozen Gnolls. He felt a stab of envy towards the man who was the centre of attention. It was unworthy of him he knew but he felt so useless and did not know how he could change the situation. He’d drunk a few of the beers the soldiers had brought and was feeling a warm fuzzy glow wash over him when he felt a soft touch on his cheek from behind. He turned to see Balaena had snuck up next to him and was kneeling at his side, her eyes burning brightly as she looked at him intently.

“Come with me my handsome human knight,” she said breathily in his ear as she nuzzled up against him. His arm encircled her slim waist and pulling her in her kissed her. A chorus of whisltes laughter and giggles errupted from the drow women nearby who saw them kissing. He felt her tug on his hand and let her pull him away out into the forest, leaving the cat calls and lewd sugesstions. Falling into her into her arms amongst the heather and ferns, they shed their clothing and clung to one another in a frenzy of passionate lovemaking which lasted all night much to Balaena's delight.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Lledrith watched as her younger sister led the paladin away into the night. There were cat calls and whistles plus shouts of lewd advice from her fellow drow. She rolled her eyes and felt slightly embarrassed by Balaena’s wanton behaviour. There was nothing wrong with wanting to bed a handsome male, she herself had had many lovers yet Balaena seemed to require much more attention.
Hallesia sat down next to her.

[in drow] “’Bala is up to her usual tricks again I see,” she remarked neutrally as she sipped some wine from a goblet.

[in drow] “When isn’t she?” muttered Lledrith tersely. “I feel sympathy for that paladin although he brought this on himself. She will use him as a play thing, pretend to feel affection for him, wrap him around her finger then once she is bored, drop him like a bit of trash and not look back. I swear she does this to annoy me. And it’s a miracle that she has not spawned an army of bastards considering the myriad of times she’s spread her legs to let another male poke her.”

“Yes, that had occurred to me as well sometime ago. Perhaps she doesn’t want to have children? Just because she has an itch that can’t be scratched in her dark valley, doesn’t mean that she wants to give up her ways and lovers,” noted Hallesia.

“I know. That is the greater shame of it. She should have at least one child, it may calm her down somewhat. But I am being a hypocrite as I have yet to have any either. I suppose I am like her in some ways in that the responsibility of motherhood isn’t compatible with being a scout and sword-dancer of the goddess. How about you Hallesia? Did you want children?”

A flash of sorrow appeared on Hallesia’s face. “More than you will ever know sister,” she said quietly as she stared into the flames of the small fire. Lledrith placed her hand on Hallesia’s.

“I am sorry sister for invoking tender memories,” she apologised.

“No, it is alright. It seems tonight is the night I remember Chadin. We tried and prayed for many years for me to be blessed but it was not to be.” Hallesia paused in reflection; smiling melancholically as she remembered the sorrow they shared from their inability to have a child yet this had only brought them closer together...until the end. She looked up at the moon and closed her eyes, sending out a prayer to her husband who waited for her in the place where no shadows fall.

Lledrith watched as Hallesia prayed. She silently considered her friend and knew the pain she felt. She gave Hallesia’s hand a gentle squeeze, then stood and left the fireside, walking off to sit and watch the shining moon alone.

Harry and Gavin were on clean up duty. They gathered the pots and pans, plates and bowls and headed back to where the team was bivouacked for the night. Over all the shared meal had been a great success.

“I think that Uluvae chick will think twice when she wants to try and impress Duncan, eh Harry?” said Gavin as he sloshed out the pot with water. “Man that was funny watching her freak out when she tried the Sambal. She certainly knows how to draw attention to herself.”

“Yeah, she’s definitely got the hots for the skipper. You could see it in her eyes the way she watched him tonight. Mind you, I wouldn’t mind if one of the pretties to a shine to me either. Most of them would make great FMH models y’know?”

“Yeah but it’s a little weird as well. I mean look at the situation we’re in. We are stuck on an alien world, surrounded by inhuman women and god knows what other sorts of nasties. So far we have no fucking idea how to get back, if there is going to be a rescue crew sent after us? It must be blind luck that we ended up meeting these friendlies. I suspect we could have all become worm food if things had been a little different.”

“Too right mate, too bloody right. Still, if we keep our heads, stay cool and let the Skipper and Captain Jefferson handle things, I will bet you we will do alright, probably even make it home. Mind you, this is the not Iraq or Helmund province and there are no EVAC choppers to call in to pull us out if this all turns to shit,” Harry remarked. Sergent Matt Hales wandered over, bringing a jerry can of water which he’d filled from the spring.

“I’ve drawn first sentry along with Vince. I’m brewing up some coffee, you blokes want any now?”

“Nah…not for me thanks mate. I’m gonna try and get some sleep before I take 3rd watch,” said Gavin. Harry shook his head as well. Matt nodded and grabbed the coffee and the pot and headed back to the camp fire to brew up.

Vince joined him by the fire, crouching down next to Matt and warming his hands near the glowing embers. A few of the drow women glanced at Matt, watching with interest as he poured the coffee grounds into the percolator and set it on the coals to brew. He and Vince sat back and began to strip their weapons, cleaning them quickly and efficiently, removing any dirt and oiling them carefully before reassembling them.

The aroma of fresh brewed coffee soon permeated the air. Matt poured the steaming brew into special thermos flasks for himself and Vince and left the rest of the pot by the fire. They added cream and sugar to the flasks before sealing them. They reapplied their camouflage paint to their faces, checked each others gear carefully then set out to take up sentry positions outside the camp.

Ysolte and Geiselle watched the two men stalk off into the night and turned their attention to the coffee percolator which was left next to the fire pit.

[in drow] “Do you think they will mind if we try their hot drink?” asked Ysolte.

[in drow] “I don’t see why not? It smells nice, although we should be careful seeing how ‘Vae reacted when she tasted that fire paste called Sambal,” noted Geiselle. Ysolte careful picked up the coffee pot and poured out some into a clay goblet that Geiselle was holding.

[in drow] “It looks hot, blow on it first,” suggested Ysolte. Geiselle blew cool air over the steaming brew before taking a hesitant sip. She considered the bitter flavour of the coffee, wrinkling her nose.

[in drow] “What’s it taste like?” asked Ysolte.

[in drow] “Bitter, strong…needs something to balance it.”

[in drow] “Captain Jefferson suggests that you add these to the drink,” said Anya surprising the two girls as she and William came over to stand next to them. She handed a small container of cream and William dropped a few sugar cubes in and stirred Geiselles cup with a small spoon.

“Try it again,” he said with a smile. Geiselle sipped again and this time smiled. The flavour balance was just right, it was sweet and rich with the cream adding a smooth texture to the coffee. She handed the goblet to Ysolte who sipped and nodded, enjoying the mixture of flavours.

“I think I’d best hide the rest of the coffee. Your friends will probably drink it all,” William grinned as he finished off the pot. Anya raised a quizzical eyebrow.

“Do you not wish to share what you have Captain Jefferson?”

“Its not that I don’t want to share, its just we only have a small amount, along with everything else we have brought with us. Once its eaten, drunk or used, its gone and I don’t know how to replace it. Having a cup of coffee for me and a few of my team mates is a link to home.”

“My apologies Captain, I forget that large detail. Yet do not give up hope, there magical means to replicate objects. It is powerful magic but it can be done.” Anya touched his arm reassuringly.

“Magic eh? Well if you said that to me two nights ago I’d have said you were crazy but here I am, talking to a lady who is really a dragon in disguise so yeah, I’ll accept that,” he said with a wink.

“I am glad you are wise Captain. There is much about you that I am intrigued by. I would like to study your laptop and learn more about your world, that is if I can get the machine away from Uluvae and the other girls who want to hear all your worlds music,” she said with a laugh.

“I’ll see what I can do Lady Anya.”

“My thanks Captain, now I must bid you good night. I go off now to hunt.”

“Oh? I thought you wouldn’t be hungry after dinner?”

“I am a dragon Captain and despite my current appearance, I require more than the tasty morsels I had so far, in fact much larger amounts of food. So I will hunt and feed and then I will see you come the dawn,” she said as she stepped away. She waved to Ysolte and Geiselle as she turned and began to levitate into the night sky. William stood transfixed as he watched Anya ascend. She seemed to be about a 100 foot in the air when she began to glow with an increasingly bright light. He quickly averted his eyes as the brightness became incandescent. There was a loud pop as Anya transformed into her true self, a mighty Silver Dragon. Her huge wings unfurled as she began to free fall, catching the air she swooped down and zoomed over the tree tops and was quickly gone from sight.

“If I live to 100 years, I do not think I will ever see anything more magical,” said William wonderingly as he watched Anya’s glittering form disappear from view.

“You are not wrong Captain,” said Harry as he and Gavin came to stand next to William watching the night sky. William turned to the two Australian soldiers.

“Everything squared away then men?”

“Yes sir, watches have been posted and the perimeter is secure.”

“Good, carry on the gentlemen. I will see you for breakfast at 0600 hours.”

“Good night sir,” they both replied as William walked off to his billet.

Duncan was almost asleep when he felt as though someone was watching him. He opened his eyes and saw Hallesia watching him intently from just a few feet away. He blinked muzzily as he woke up. Her lavender eyes regarded him coolly for a long moment before she sighed and walked away without a word. What was that all about he wondered? He yawned the rolled over in his sleeping bag and went back to sleep.

Hallesia strode over to where Uluvae was standing. She could see the girl was still conflicted as to how to relate to her. Best take this the soft way she thought but she is not sleeping with him tonight!

[in drow] “Uluvae, I know you want to go to him tonight but stop and think for a moment…please. I think if you are set on this path then you should take your time. There is no hurry. Tomorrow we will arrive home at the temple and Shir’le will no doubt want to examine these humans. She will be able to judge if this man is right for you.” She held up her hand stopping Uluvae as she was about to interject. “Listen! You will listen and understand. You have been my student for the last 2 years but you do not know my past. I will reveal to you something about myself. I loved a man, a human male. For 42 years we lived as man and wife and those were the happiest years I can think of. Yet towards the end, he grew frail, aged before my eyes. I tried to keep him young with elixirs and tonics of Youth but they never lasted. Towards the end, I could not bare to see him, the once proud and mighty man I loved was a helpless feeble smelly old man who could not even control his bowel movements. I know I broke his heart when I fled, or maybe I didn’t as often his mind would wander, lost in the past or at times not even recognizing me.” She paused, her voice quavering as she struggled to continue.

“I almost went mad with grief and shame when he died. I was not there to hold his hand and tell him I loved him, such is my eternal shame. Shir’le told me he was lucid at the end and said he forgave me and will love me and wait in the place were no shadows fall. Everyday I think of my Chadin and know I let him down but I did not have his strength to endure. If you give your heart to this man, this is what you must expect. I do not wish that on you Uluvae, I would not wish that pain on anyone.”

Uluvae stood in tearful silence as she listened to her teacher pour out her heart. She never knew anything about this! She’d always though Hallesia was hard and often too harsh on her and just when she thought she had found someone she liked, she tried to stop her from being with this man.

She’s trying to protect me she realised.

“Malla an'kin, I did not know. I am sorry for my actions and will obey your words. I will not pursue this man anymore,” she said miserably.

“No no…Uluvae you misunderstand me. He may be the one for you. Do not cease you interest in him, that is not what I want for you. I just want you to know the consequences of such love. You will experience joy and forefillment as humans live so intensely in their short lives. But they are that, short, like the blossoming of a flower, their beauty and vigour fade well before ours would. Listen to what the High Priestess has to say, do not let your heart rule your head completely. That’s all I ask of you.”

“Alright malla an'kin, I will hold back for now. You are right, I have been impetuous these last two days, please forgive me.” Uluvae knelt at Hallesias feet, her head bowed in supplication.

“You are forgiven child,” she said with a smile as they embraced. “One thing is for sure, you have picked a strong soul as a potential lover. I have a sense he will never bend or break. I tried to touch his mind when he was almost asleep, to read his soul. I could not see but I believe he is a good man who has an unusual, as we would see it, outlook on life. Again I think the best thing to do right now is to watch and wait. After all, you’ve only known him for two days so I think maybe your infatuation comes from his rescue of you. Perhaps given a few days in meditation and prayer back at the temple you may see things more clearly. You are precious to me and the goddess Uluvae and you have the gift of magic and show great promise there. I know I have been hard on you but this is because I want your best, I want you to shine.”

“I will not let you down again priestess.”

“Hush Uluvae, do not make promises you can not keep,” replied Hallesia with a kind smile. “Just at least try to not be so headstrong, that I can accept.”

“I will try. Thank you Hallesia,” she answered in a small voice.

“Go and get some sleep girl, dream sweet dreams and think of what we have discussed.”

Uluvae stood quietly and left Hallesia alone with her thoughts.

I wonder if I should have told her the whole truth pondered Hallesia. She sat in a meditative pose as she replayed the images from Duncan’s mind that she had managed to glean before he woke and shut her out. He was confused about Uluvae. He found her attractive, alluring but did not feel any love for her yet, just a fondness and a sense of caring. However she had sensed a darkness laying within him. She'd seen he was like a sleeping volcanoe, danger just laying in wait. All it would take would be a some trigger that would set him off in an explosion of blind rage. It was a tetstament to the strength of his mind that he had lasted so long without blowing up. She had seen a reference to what he suffered and although the terms were strange, undertood it's meaning: post traumatic stress disorder and it was common amongst soldiers of his world.

He had also seen many battles, some small little fights and other massive engagements which made her shudder in fear at the power and destruction these humans could command. So much death witnessed in such a short life. Some of the sights she’d seen where shocking, of his friends being blown apart by monstrous explosions and then being showered in their blood and gore. Seeing women and children wiped out by fiery flashes, their bodies left in burnt twisted shapes left her almost feelin physically ill.

She watched a memory of a home in which he had come to where the entire family had been butchered, the women had been raped before being gutted, the children and babies had had their heads smashed in, all because this family had spoken to him the previous day. The rage she felt towards these monsters mirrored Duncan's anger.

She felt his horror, grief and rage, a shame and guilt that if he hadn't had given food to the familiy, they still might be alive. She felt his fear of being hunted while hunting monsters who had committed these foul crimes and the feral savage fury that erupted in him when he and his men found those killers. They had blinded them first, burning out their eyes with small glowing sticks. Then they'd staked them out naked over ants nests as the reigned blows repeated on the helpless figures before finally letting some starving pigs eat them alive, their screams, threats and pleading ringing in his ears. The pigs were an insult to the people who were being eaten and Duncan had whipsered in the dying leaders ear that he was going to become pig shit and that's all he would ever be in the afterlife. The leader had cursed him in his native tongue and Duncan had undid his trousers and pissed on his face before letting the pigs loose on the terrorist leader.

He had become as dark as the ones he sought to destroy.

His nightmares and terrors that lurked deep beneath showed psychological strain. She knew of these wounds of the mind and could heal them in time. Maybe he might be able to find peace without her help, only the goddess could tell.

She sat in contemplation, considering the implications of these newcomers and what they meant for her and her sisters. She needed Shir'le's advice, especially over the appearance of the goddess in the body of that female sopldier who was still unconcious.

The dawn could not come quick enough for her.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Anya returned with the dawn. She soared over the forest, her massive wings beating hard since there were no thermal updrafts for her to ride on. It had been a good night’s hunt. She’d ambushed another band of Gnolls, obliterating them with her icy breath. In addition she’d found a herd of deer resting in an open glade which she had taken two from, gorging on them before settling down to sleep for a few hours. Now she had woken as night faded and she revealed in the glory of the rising sun. Spiralling down, she landed lightly on the crest of the ridge wall before transforming herself back into her elven form once more.
She roused the camp and got them moving fairly quickly. They broke camp after a cold breakfast and set off to the temple of the dark dancer.

After a hard 8 hours of non stop marching, they had arrived in the forested valley where the temple was nestled. A small river ran through the centre of the valley and dotted amongst the forest where fields and small orchards. A few miles from the temple was the village of Lisse'. It was surrounded by open fields of swaying golden wheat which rippled in the late afternoon breeze. Faint puffs of smoke curled up from the chimneys of the houses of the villages.

The group was greeted by a mounted patrol of drow and some humans. They escorted the group along the well worn path to the outskirts of the temple. William noted the sense of decay and disrepair as the temple. It was still a magnificent structure but it was obvious that the grounds had been left neglected and were overgrown and weedy. The perimeter wall was covered in vines and creepers and had fallen down in places. The massive iron gates were rusted in an open position. Still, despite its neglect, it was a beautiful place. He felt a sense of peace and tranquillity as they walked through the ancient gates.

Hallesia and Anya led the party up to a glorious marble domed building. It was stained with age but one could not help feel a sense of awe at the beauty and majesty of the structure. In front to the temple was a courtyard which had an ornate fountain which at its centre had a figure of a nude female holding a ewer and from it a trickle of water fell into the foundation. The courtyard showed signs of being recently cleaned up. The pavers were still cracked and stained but had been recently swept of leaves. Beyond the found was a small set of wide stairs leading up to a large set of doors which led into the heart of the temple.

Standing on top of the stairs were two figures, a regal and stunningly beautiful drow woman dressed in a long elegant flowing silver silken robe and next to her was the largest and so far the meanest looking drow male William had ever seen, this guy was just ready for immediate violence. William was a good judge of character and he knew a true warrior when he saw one and this one was all that and more. He was wearing ornate black plate armour and his weapons looked ready and dangerous. A large scar ran down the side of his face and his red eyes scanned the crowd before hi like a shark looking at prey. His white blonde hair was close cropped and spikey in appearance.

The male caught Williams glance and returned his stare, his red eyes gazing implacably back. Jesus thought William, this one could be trouble. He swung his gaze to the female the warrior was standing next too. She smiled warmly at Hallesia and Anya. Her eyes travelled over the group, lingering on the new arrivals, especially Masako who was still unconscious on the float disk.

“Greeting sisters, welcome home,” she said with a soft melodious voice. She embraced Hallesia and Anya in turn, warmly embracing each woman. Both Hallesia and Anya leant in close to Shir’le and began to speak in low whispers, occasionally glancing to Masako and the other humans. Shir’le eyebrows raised in questioning as she listened intently while the armoured warrior frowned sceptically at the humans.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[in drow] “You are certain of this Hallesia? You think the goddess has used this human woman as a vessel for her return?” quizzed Shir’le in an incredulous whisper as she glanced back again to where Masako was laying on the float disk.

“High Priestess, I know it sounds bizarre, even insane but I was there when she spoke to us. These humans are not from our world. They know nothing of us, the goddess and are totally bewildered as to their being here. If it were not for their timely intervention, all of us attending the initiation ceremony at the sacred glade would probably be dead.” Hallesia said in a hushed tone. Shir’le glanced at Anya.

“Do you agree with Hallesia’s assessment? Are these humans not from this world?”

“Yes, they are totally alien to us. They have no magic, only legends and fables of it. They seem amazed when it happens, even somewhat afraid. They are elite soldiers from …now what was it Captain Jefferson called them… ahh yes, nations! They are kingdoms for want of a better description yet they have no king or queen. They have made an art form of artifice instead, creating devices well beyond what any master crafter gnome or dwarf could ever dare to dream off. Their weapons are lethal, capable of killing over great distance almost instantly. Yes Shir’le, they are alien, and I believe the goddess meant for them to come here. There is a reason behind them being here and we must find out what that is,” replied Anya quickly in a quiet whisper as they stood close on the top of the steps to the entrance of the temple. Shir’le slowly nodded. If this is the will of the goddess, I am but her servant she thought. Turning to Bhaeryn,

“See that our guests are settled into the barracks and are guarded. Bring the human woman into the sanctum, I will begin to examine her and hope the touch of the goddess has not damaged this innocent.” She beckoned to the drow women near the float disk for Masako to be brought in.

Lt. Kaori Hatamoto stepped forward to with Masako but was blocked kindly but firmly by the drow who had accompanied the team back from the glade. She tried to brush past them but the detained her so she began to struggle.

“Let me go! I will not leave my patient!” she yelled in an angry tone. The rest of the team had unslung their weapons, pointing then downwards, uneasily scanning the drow who surrounded them.

“Easy now people, lets just take it real easy,” said William carefully in a low calm voice. “Lady Anya! Can you tell us what is happening please? Your people are taking Major Natsume and we want to know what is going on!”

Anya quickly hurried down the steps to William. She called out,
“Captain Jefferson, Lt. Hatamoto, Major Natsume will be cared for by our High Priestess. She will be in no danger.” She turned to Shir’le.

[in drow] “I ask your indulgence here High Priestess. The human female wishes to accompany her comrade. She is a healer devoted to her friend. May she be allowed into the Sanctum?”
Shir’le looked down at the people in the courtyard. She could tell that things had suddenly turned into a knife’s edge situation. One false move and a disaster of epic proportions would be unleashed. Bhaeryn had not moved a muscle yet she sensed he readiness to explode into violence, his hand resting lightly on his magical throwing knives. No, this is not how we treat guests she thought.

[in drow] “SISTERS! Let her go!” she command in a ringing tone that brooked no argument. “This healer is welcome to join us,” she added with a warm smile directed at Kaori as she beckoned for her to come up the steps. The drow holding Kaori by the arms let go. Kaori shrugged the aside and she strode alongside the float disk and ascended the stairs to stand in front of Shir’le.

Kaori came to attention, bowing formally. Shir’le raised an eyebrow slightly.

“Lady Anya, please translate for me,” asked Kaori politely. Anya nodded. “Thank you High Priestess for this honour. Major Masako is my friend and I want to see her well again. I do not know of your goddess but if I can be of any help, I am at your service.” Anya translated quickly.

[in drow] “Tell this delightfully polite woman that she is indeed welcome into the sanctum. She must leave all weapons aside though. Bhaeryn will only tolerate so many indiscretions for one day.” He merely grunted and returned to his usual stance of hawk like observation, always watching for signs of danger to his priestess.

Kaori nodded and removed her service pistol and throwing knives. Her UMP sub machinegun was on the disk which William quickly gathered up. “I have no more weapons, only my medical supplies.” She placed them on the ground. Bhaeryn gestured slightly. A lightly armoured male drow warrior materialised just behind Shir’le, his invisibility spell fading. The warrior quickly examined Kaoris’ bag.

[in drow] “No weapons my lord.” The warrior bundled up the bag and handed it to Kaori, regarding her with a neutral expression. She returned his gaze impassively. He nodded briefly at Bhaeryn and then stood back, his eyes still watching alertly.

[in drow] “Please, follow us. Your friends will be safe and well cared for.” Shir’le reached out her hand to Kaori who hesitantly took it. She bowed once more to Shir’le who smiled again. “I must be important,” she giggled. Bhaeryn’s lips smiled ever so slightly for a brief moment. He looked back to the faithful and the alien human soldiers who still milled about in the courtyard.

[in drow] “You heard what your High Priestess said, take these guests to the barracks. See that they are shown to the bath house and are taken to the main hall for the evening meal. I predict there will be a feast tonight.” He spoke with a soft raspy voice but it carried across the courtyard.

Uluvae had been skulking at the back of the crowd. She had been dreading that she would be summoned to see the High Priestess, a humiliation she would never live down. Thankfully all the attention was focus on the unconscious human woman who was now being taken into the sanctum. She sidled her way through the crowd, spying out Duncan. She hesitated for a moment, thinking on what Hallesia said about being hurt. He was looking around, his helmet was off clipped to his belt and had taen off his eye protectors or sunglasses as he called them. He ran a hand through his short sandy blonde hair. He’s so handsome she thought biting her lip thinking of their last kiss. Oh…I want his hands on me..no no stop that...but he is just so beautiful she thought. She ducked between two drow women who were milling about uncertainly, not sure how to relay the instructions for these alien humans to follow them.

“Duncan, you come with me. You all come!” she beamed at him and his men as they turned to face her. They smiled as they saw a familiar face.

“You’re a good sport Miss ‘Vae,” remarked Harry. She wasn’t sure of the meaning of Harry's idiom but it sounded like a compliment so she favoured him with one of her sunburst smiles. Harry grinned as Duncan made his way forward.

“Hey William, we’ve got a guide, lets move off.” William nodded and gathered up the unconscious form of Hiro from the other float disk. He handed Hiro’s equipment to Vince and Junchiro.

“Why did Hiro bring a Samurai sword Junchirp?” ask Vince.

‘Ahh, the Captain comes from a long line of Samurai, a very honourable family,” Junchiro said carefully as he took the sword. He’d seen it before when Hiro had been showing off back on earth. It was a truly beautiful weapon and rumoured to have been made long ago by a famous Samurai from the 14th century. The warrior was said to have died with the blade in his hands, his blood soaking the weapon along with over 20 of his clan’s enemies. It was a miracle that the blade had survived all this time and had not been taken after WWII by the occupying allied soldiers. He cautiously wrapped the blade in his ground sheet and carried it as they were lead out of the courtyard to where they would be staying.

Uluvae led them out of the courtyard and turned left and strode off to a set of whitewashed stone buildings a few hundred meters away. She pointed to a long two story building which had a cheerful little vegetable garden off to the side. Small windows opened up onto flowerboxes and there were tree sets of doors that led into the structure.

“You sleep there,” she pointed at the building with a smile.

“Looks ok I suppose. Beats the flea pits of Afghanistan eh sir?” quipped Sergeant Matt Hales.

“Yeah, this will do,” said Duncan as he opened the first door. Inside was a small corridor that ran 120 feet along the length of the building with doorways to rooms spaced evenly along the far wall. He was about to head in the first door when Uluvae quickly took his hand and led him down the corridor to the end room. She opened it up to reveal a large 40 by 40 foot room with a large set of windows that faced out onto the grounds gardens. A large four poster canopied double bed with a night stand dominated the far wall. A set of plush chairs and a polished wood table sat in the centre of the room and on the other side was a set of screen behind which was a wardrobe and large tin bath.

“You sleep here, it nice,” said Uluvae as she plomped happily onto the bed and patted her hand on the covers indicating Duncan should sit next to her. He unslung his pack and set down his M-14 and turned to sit with her when William came in.

“Duncan you old bugger, who decided that you get the best room? Oh, Miss Uluvae did eh?” he asked archly as he saw her smiling sweetly at him.

“I say Duncan sleep here!” she said with a firm nod.

“Ok Miss Uluvae, Duncan will sleep here. Lledrith is out there and wants to see you,” he added with a grin as he face fell. She pouted as she reluctant hopped off the bed, frowning at William as the bearer of bad news as she went out the door.

“Well then Dunc old mate…” He was interrupted as Uluvae dashed back in and quickly kissed a very surprised Duncan before running out of the room.

“Ahem…as I was saying…ahh to hell with it. Duncan, you have got to stop leading this girl on. We don’t know who she is. She could be a kings daughter for fucks sakes and he may get mightily pissed if he finds out you’d been screwing his little girl.”

“Will…I'ver done nothing! You just saw her, she's got the hots for me. Ok I admit I like her a bit too, she’s sweet, really smart and her being drop dead gotgeous doesn't help either but I know that this has got to stop. I saw Hallesia looking at me last night. I thought for a moment she was going to slice my nuts off but instead she looked a bit sad and walked off. Ahh fuck…it’s all too weird…being here on this bloody reject version of Rivendell and having this dark elf girl throwing herself at me…it’s a bit much to handle if you know what I mean?” said Duncan as he slumped onto one of the plush chairs. He pulled out a water bottle that was full of Ord River Rum and took a long swig from the bottle before he passed it to William who sat in the other chair. William took a large mouthful of the potent liquor.

“I know mate but still, I think it might be best if you keep a bit of distance between you and ‘Vae”

“I’ll try William. I promise, I promise” he said as William glanced at him to make sure Duncan was being honest. “It will be a bit tricky though seeing that she is the one who’s managed to learn English without any magical means,” he added waggling his fingers theatrically.

“Yeah there is that. Just be cool ok?” he said as he rose, handing back the Rum.

“Got it, no bonking the beautiful dark elven maidens but I reserve the right to make friends with her.”

“Barracks room lawyer! Remember, you’re still going straight to hell!” laughed William as he left the room.

“Yeah…but it was worth it,” said quiet;y Duncan to himself as he recalled Uluvae’s passionate kiss with a small grin.