Drows, Dragonborns, and Bard in the Last Packet!

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Drows, Dragonborns, and Bard in the Last Packet!

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

Finally, its about damn time they show us the bard class and the Drow as a playable race, in the packet. So prehaps any of you who have signed up for the play test wanna say what you guys, think about it? perhaps, rage quite or say what you do or don't like? Me! I feel both overwhelmed and underwhelmed all at the same time.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: Drows, Dragonborns, and Bard in the Last Packet!

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Though I've got the latest playtest package, I hadn't actually looked at it yet. So can't comment on it yet.

P.s. the plural for "drow" is "drow"; there is no "s". ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":250wab7f]
[/quote:250wab7f]

Sorry, its been awhile since I did any real typing. Summer, you gotta love it.
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":24ps8p1t]Though I've got the latest playtest package, I hadn't actually looked at it yet. So can't comment on it yet.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:24ps8p1t]

Unless you are a goblin then it's Drowsies
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Kaote Bruchedaine":1kyp9ulb]Unless you are a goblin then it's Drowsies[/quote:1kyp9ulb]
[i:1kyp9ulb]<chuckles>[/i:1kyp9ulb] Fair enough. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

You know that brings to mind. Language and language barriers almost never play any part in any RPs I have encountered.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Kaote Bruchedaine":2c39ysjf]You know that brings to mind. Language and language barriers almost never play any part in any RPs I have encountered.[/quote:2c39ysjf]
True enough. Everyone always speaks some common language. Different languages are much more used to communicate in secret the rare occasion that it's called for.

It could be fun, but I also suspect that after the first time it can quickly start to wear thin. I recall that once I was playing the only dwarf in a party talking with another dwarf who could only speak dwarven, so I had to translate for the rest of the party. But for most of it the rest of the party just tended to be bored.

Still, I think I'd prefer a setting where different regions speak different languages over one where everyone speaks the same language. Would, I think, make the setting feel more realistic.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

So short of the cliche of "old magic writing" type things. How would you suggest making language as a useful plot device?
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

I have, in the past, giving players a treasure map in a language that they didn't know. Though that tended to be mostly so that they had a sub-quest of finding someone who could read the map before they could even start to look for the treasure. You can do small thing like that; like the PCs need to go somewhere but the captain of the only ship going there doesn't speak any language the players do, or you could have foreign dignitaries that the players need to deal with. Or of the players tend to travel long distance they could often run into new languages that they don't know (or which are a variation on one they do). You could probably even make it a long-term thing where occasionally they run into a bit of an unknown language which ends up tying into the larger overall plot. Or, heck, could have it just for a bit of flavour where now and then players might catch a phrase or a song in another language without it having any real consequence.

Of course you'd have to be careful not to frustrate the players with constant new languages. "Ugh, [i:2m3mqveh]another[/i:2m3mqveh] language we don't understand" (unless your players enjoy that kind of thing of course). So if you're planning to make it part of a larger plot or a more enduring element then it's perhaps better to stick to a single language that they can learn gradually over time (definitely don't let players learn it too quickly or it'll defeat the purpose). And for other languages can always give players hints "it sounds a little like..." or let NPCs communicate through gestures "they seem to be indicating...", etc. Can still have the added flavor without having it be too much of an inconvenience.

Anyway, just some thoughts. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

I actually like the idea that language has a more important role in you adventure. especially if you get your player to act out the situation in character. Just wish I had more time to make an adventure to take my family on... sigh. oh well. On the subject of the new edition, I kind of feel miiah right now. So I'm working on my own take for my game design cap stone course I'm taking, I am kind of taking every thing I liked about every edition, plus myth & magic and castles & crusades see if I can make the all work together. I especially am trying to make the "redeemed dark elves" as a working race. ;)