Deck of many things

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Deck of many things

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

I open my pouch and produce a small card size/shaped box, elaborately decorated with numerous scenes. I open the box to reveal 22 cards made of vellum. Each is engraved with glyphs, characters, and sigils.
I shuffle the deck, "would you like to draw from the deck? You must announce how many cards you will draw before it begins. you can never again draw from this deck any more cards than announced. If the you do not willingly draw the allotted number or if somehow prevented from doing so, the cards will flip out of the deck on their own. Each time a card is taken from the deck, it is replaced. They may be both beneficial and baneful. Do you dare?"
I hold them waiting for your response-

(I will draw them from the one we use and write what you got; totally random b/c I'm not biased. you can get bad, good or a mix of both. luckily my character (Zarae) got 3 good ones when I drew in our game.
this is just for fun. plus you might can use the idea...just tell me how many you pick. )
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

I'd like 7 cards please as 7 is a good number and thus should spread the fates evenly ;)
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":2ghlah0y]I'd like 7 cards please as 7 is a good number and thus should spread the fates evenly ;)[/quote:2ghlah0y]

"you are rather brave or foolish"

(i need to learn to shuffle better...lol)
i flip out the card, one by one:

1 [b:2ghlah0y]Gain beneficial medium wondrous item and 50,000 XP.[/b:2ghlah0y]

2 [b:2ghlah0y]–1 penalty on all saving throws henceforth.[/b:2ghlah0y]
The medusalike visage of this card brings a curse that only the fates card or a [i:2ghlah0y]deity [/i:2ghlah0y]can remove. The –1 penalty on all saving throws is otherwise permanent.

3 [b:2ghlah0y]Change alignment instantly.[/b:2ghlah0y]
must change to a radically different alignment. If you fail to act according to the new alignment, she gains a negative level.

4 [b:2ghlah0y]Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level[/b:2ghlah0y].
The character must single-handedly defeat the next hostile monster or monsters encountered, or the benefit is lost. If successful, the character gains enough XP to attain the next experience level.

5 .[b:2ghlah0y]One of your friends turns against you.[/b:2ghlah0y]
When this card is drawn, one of the character’s NPC friends (preferably a cohort) is totally alienated and forever after hostile. If the character has no cohorts, the enmity of some powerful personage (or community, or religious order) can be substituted. The hatred is secret until the time is ripe for it to be revealed with devastating effect.

6 [b:2ghlah0y]Gain 10,000 XP or two more draws from the deck.[/b:2ghlah0y]

7 [b:2ghlah0y]Defeat dread wraith or be forever destroyed.[/b:2ghlah0y]
A dread wraith appears. Treat this creature as an unturnable undead. The character must fight it alone—if others help, they get dread wraiths to fight as well. If the character is slain, she is slain forever and cannot be revived, even with a wish or a miracle.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

hmmmm? I'm thinking 3.

crosses fingers and cast [i:3qnhy289]good luck[/i:3qnhy289]... :D
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":wsqxq596]hmmmm? I'm thinking 3.

crosses fingers and cast [i:wsqxq596]good luck[/i:wsqxq596]... :D[/quote:wsqxq596]

"i flip out the cards."

1[b:wsqxq596] Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level[/b:wsqxq596].
The character must single-handedly defeat the next hostile monster or monsters encountered, or the benefit is lost. If successful, the character gains enough XP to attain the next experience level.

2 [b:wsqxq596]Know the answer to your next dilemma. [/b:wsqxq596]
This card empowers the character drawing it with the one-time ability to call upon a source of wisdom to solve any single problem or answer fully any question upon her request. The query or request must be made within one year. Whether the information gained can be successfully acted upon is another question entirely.

3[b:wsqxq596] Immediately gain a +2 inherent bonus to one ability score.[/b:wsqxq596]
The 2 points are added to any ability the character chooses. They cannot be divided among two abilities.

"you seam to got very lucky...will it last?"
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I'd like 4 cards, please. Let's see what the Goddess has in store for me.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar":1tdh5cns][quote="Talwyn Aureliano":1tdh5cns]I'd like 7 cards please as 7 is a good number and thus should spread the fates evenly ;)[/quote:1tdh5cns]

1 [b:1tdh5cns]Gain beneficial medium wondrous item and 50,000 XP.[/b:1tdh5cns]

2 [b:1tdh5cns]–1 penalty on all saving throws henceforth.[/b:1tdh5cns]
The medusalike visage of this card brings a curse that only the fates card or a [i:1tdh5cns]deity [/i:1tdh5cns]can remove. The –1 penalty on all saving throws is otherwise permanent.

3 [b:1tdh5cns]Change alignment instantly.[/b:1tdh5cns]
must change to a radically different alignment. If you fail to act according to the new alignment, she gains a negative level.

4 [b:1tdh5cns]Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level[/b:1tdh5cns].

5 .[b:1tdh5cns]One of your friends turns against you.[/b:1tdh5cns]
When this card is drawn, one of the character’s NPC friends (preferably a cohort) is totally alienated and forever after hostile. If the character has no cohorts, the enmity of some powerful personage (or community, or religious order) can be substituted. The hatred is secret until the time is ripe for it to be revealed with devastating effect.

6 [b:1tdh5cns]Gain 10,000 XP or two more draws from the deck.[/b:1tdh5cns]

7 [b:1tdh5cns]Defeat dread wraith or be forever destroyed.[/b:1tdh5cns]
A dread wraith appears. Treat this creature as an unturnable undead. The character must fight it alone—if others help, they get dread wraiths to fight as well. If the character is slain, she is slain forever and cannot be revived, even with a wish or a miracle.[/quote:1tdh5cns]

Well then, let me see...

1 - medium wonderous item & 50k exp all good

2 - minus 1 to saving throws...meh can deal with that with buff spells

3 - change to radically different alignment - become chaotic evil thus uberpowerful ANTI PALADIN/Blackguard [mwhahahahahaha] :devil: nice :devil:

4 - defeat next monster for bonus free level - see 7

5 - NPC turns against me - well duh :bored: Blackguard now and so what? I'm eb0l now so they'll be gutted at the first sign of discent :devil:

6 - gain 10k exp or 2 draws from the deck - it'd have to be 2 more draws since I'm now chaotic :devil:

7 - defeat dread wraith - pfft :bored: - dreadwraith becomes my BITCH! Instant level - SWEEEEEET

Not bad :devil:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

Ten cards. *grabs 'em*

Who's up for a game of twelve-dragon ante?
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Argoth":2wl4vogw]I'd like 4 cards, please. Let's see what the Goddess has in store for me.[/quote:2wl4vogw]

"your cards are":

1 [b:2wl4vogw]Lose 10,000 experience points and you must draw again.[/b:2wl4vogw]
The payment of XP and the redraw are mandatory. This card is always discarded when drawn, unlike all others except the jester.

2 [b:2wl4vogw]One of your friends turns against you.[/b:2wl4vogw]
hen this card is drawn, one of the character’s NPC friends (preferably a cohort) is totally alienated and forever after hostile. If the character has no cohorts, the enmity of some powerful personage (or community, or religious order) can be substituted. The hatred is secret until the time is ripe for it to be revealed with devastating effect.

3 [b:2wl4vogw] Immediately gain a +2 inherent bonus to one ability score.[/b:2wl4vogw]
he 2 points are added to any ability the character chooses. They cannot be divided among two abilities.

4 I[b:2wl4vogw]mmediately gain a +2 inherent bonus to one ability score.[/b:2wl4vogw]
he 2 points are added to any ability the character chooses. They cannot be divided among two abilities.

"well, half and half; not bad!. u seam to have drawn the same one twice..."

since u had to draw again ur 5th card:
[b:2wl4vogw]Avoid any situation you choose . . . once. [/b:2wl4vogw]
This card enables the character to avoid even an instantaneous occurrence if so desired, for the fabric of reality is unraveled and respun. Note that it does not enable something to happen. It can only stop something from happening or reverse a past occurrence. The reversal is only for the character who drew the card; other party members may have to endure the situation.

(was it Talwyn?)
Last edited by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":13readd2][quote="Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar":13readd2][quote="Talwyn Aureliano":13readd2]I'd like 7 cards please as 7 is a good number and thus should spread the fates evenly ;)[/quote:13readd2]

1 [b:13readd2]Gain beneficial medium wondrous item and 50,000 XP.[/b:13readd2]

2 [b:13readd2]–1 penalty on all saving throws henceforth.[/b:13readd2]
The medusalike visage of this card brings a curse that only the fates card or a [i:13readd2]deity [/i:13readd2]can remove. The –1 penalty on all saving throws is otherwise permanent.

3 [b:13readd2]Change alignment instantly.[/b:13readd2]

4 [b:13readd2]Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level[/b:13readd2].

5 .[b:13readd2]One of your friends turns against you.[/b:13readd2]

6 [b:13readd2]Gain 10,000 XP or two more draws from the deck.[/b:13readd2]

7 [b:13readd2]Defeat dread wraith or be forever destroyed.[/b:13readd2]
A dread wraith appears. Treat this creature as an unturnable undead. The character must fight it alone—if others help, they get dread wraiths to fight as well. If the character is slain, she is slain forever and cannot be revived, even with a wish or a miracle.[/quote:13readd2]

Well then, let me see...

1 - medium wonderous item & 50k exp all good

2 - minus 1 to saving throws...meh can deal with that with buff spells

3 - change to radically different alignment - become chaotic evil thus uberpowerful ANTI PALADIN/Blackguard [mwhahahahahaha] :devil: nice :devil:

4 - defeat next monster for bonus free level - see 7

5 - NPC turns against me - well duh :bored: Blackguard now and so what? I'm eb0l now so they'll be gutted at the first sign of discent :devil:

6 - gain 10k exp or 2 draws from the deck - it'd have to be 2 more draws since I'm now chaotic :devil:

7 - defeat dread wraith - pfft :bored: - dreadwraith becomes my BITCH! Instant level - SWEEEEEET

Not bad :devil:[/quote:13readd2]

"as you wish"

1 [b:13readd2]Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere[/b:13readd2].
This black card spells instant disaster. The character’s body continues to function, as though comatose, but her psyche is trapped in a prison somewhere—in an object on a far plane or planet, possibly in the possession of an outsider. A wish or a miracle does not bring the character back, instead merely revealing the plane of entrapment. Draw no more cards.

"ur previous deity seams upset..."

(ur next one would have been) :
2 [b:13readd2]Avoid any situation you choose . . . once[/b:13readd2]
This card enables the character to avoid even an instantaneous occurrence if so desired, for the fabric of reality is unraveled and respun. Note that it does not enable something to happen. It can only stop something from happening or reverse a past occurrence. The reversal is only for the character who drew the card; other party members may have to endure the situation.
Last edited by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind":3fxp94hj]Ten cards. *grabs 'em*

Who's up for a game of twelve-dragon ante?[/quote:3fxp94hj]

"10? ur making me work aint ya ;) . our dwarf mage drew 10, he ended up a human at the end...a wish gone bad..."

1 [b:3fxp94hj]You are imprisoned.[/b:3fxp94hj]
This card signifies imprisonment— either by the imprisonment spell or by some powerful being. All gear and spells are stripped from the victim in any case. Draw no more cards.

while in prison (since is says they flip out anyway, unless D&D rules would imply that its canceled out. then its just what else you woulda got):

[b:3fxp94hj]You are imprisoned[/b:3fxp94hj]. (again)

[b:3fxp94hj]Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere.[/b:3fxp94hj]
This black card spells instant disaster. The character’s body continues to function, as though comatose, but her psyche is trapped in a prison somewhere—in an object on a far plane or planet, possibly in the possession of an outsider. A wish or a miracle does not bring the character back, instead merely revealing the plane of entrapment. Draw no more cards.

[b:3fxp94hj]Defeat dread wraith or be forever destroyed.[/b:3fxp94hj]
A dread wraith appears. Treat this creature as an unturnable undead. The character must fight it alone—if others help, they get dread wraiths to fight as well. If the character is slain, she is slain forever and cannot be revived, even with a wish or a miracle.

[b:3fxp94hj]Gain the service of a 4th-level fighter.[/b:3fxp94hj]
The fighter appears out of nowhere and serves loyally until death. He or she is of the same race (or kind) and gender as the character.

[b:3fxp94hj]Gain your choice of twenty-five pieces of jewelry or fifty gems.[/b:3fxp94hj]
This card indicates wealth. The jewelry is all gold set with gems, each piece worth 2,000 gp, the gems 1,000 gp value each.

[b:3fxp94hj]Defeat dread wraith or be forever destroyed.[/b:3fxp94hj] (again)

[b:3fxp94hj]One of your friends turns against you. [/b:3fxp94hj]

[b:3fxp94hj]Gain a major magic weapon.[/b:3fxp94hj]
The magic weapon granted must be one usable by the character. It suddenly appears out of nowhere in the character’s hand.

[b:3fxp94hj]Gain a major magic weapon.[/b:3fxp94hj]

[b:3fxp94hj]Gain beneficial medium wondrous item and 50,000 XP.[/b:3fxp94hj]
Last edited by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

The idea with those cards is simply excellent. It's a great starter for an entire campaign! (Only a deity can bring the soul back to the body, nice.)
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

[quote="Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar":15joil9r][quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":15joil9r]hmmmm? I'm thinking 3.

crosses fingers and cast [i:15joil9r]good luck[/i:15joil9r]... :D[/quote:15joil9r]

"i flip out the cards."

1[b:15joil9r] Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level[/b:15joil9r].

2 [b:15joil9r]Know the answer to your next dilemma. [/b:15joil9r]
This card empowers the character drawing it with the one-time ability to call upon a source of wisdom to solve any single problem or answer fully any question upon her request. The query or request must be made within one year. Whether the information gained can be successfully acted upon is another question entirely.

3[b:15joil9r] Immediately gain a +2 inherent bonus to one ability score.[/b:15joil9r]
The 2 points are added to any ability the character chooses. They cannot be divided among two abilities.

"you seam to got very lucky...will it last?"[/quote:15joil9r]

well, i normally am unlucky...but i got some ok ones. :D

I'm off to beat up a monster...:devil:
I better think of a good dilemma to have answered...
and I reckon I will have to add the +2 to my lowest stat...prolly constitution.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

Heh, not a problem. Imprisoned twice, defeat two dread wraiths with nothing but my soul and have an NPC with a mad-on for me?

I've beaten worse odds. Actually, now that I think about it, the weapon [i:2rze29s3]must be one I can use[/i:2rze29s3]. If I can't find a weapon that disembodied souls can use in the book o' loot, that will have to mean that in order for the cards to be followed I'd have to have my body miraculously returned to me so that I can use the weapons, as per the card's instructions. So lose all loot but then gain more even better stuff? I think I can manage that. Plus I can only assume that my soul is given a body where it is, rather than returned to the original since even 9th level spells can't return the soul, which would mean that the double-imprisonment is null and void, yes?

So that leaves. . . two dread wraiths against two major magic weapons and a wondrous item, plus having a 4th level centaur cleric buddy turn up to heal me (not helping to [i:2rze29s3]fight[/i:2rze29s3] the wraith, of course, just casting stuff at me)?

Dude, I pwnt these cards. Look at my gorgeous jewellery, people! I am so pretty you are now BLIND!

I'm now going home to the temple to get unexpectedly jumped by the nice lady in charge, kick her ass and take over. Praise to Umberlee!
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:2kvdrodv]LOL. I've been thinking of rolling up a wild mage char. They work great with a deck of many things.

how about....5, please :) [/color:2kvdrodv]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination