Your favorite book.

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Drakashin
Regular

Post by Drakashin »

Favorite books are:

Pretty much anything by R.A. Salvatore

Daughter of the Drow series was very good.

The Spider Queen series was good.

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks was very good, especially the 2nd and 3rd books.

The Dragonlance The Annotated Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, lets face it, Raistlin is bamf once he goes dark robes.

Will have to post more later, have to find the name of the other books ;)
No Mercy for the Weak;
No Pity for the Dying;
No Tears for the Dead.

Drakashin viewtopic.php?p=29418#29418
Drakin viewtopic.php?t=1701
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

i would like to find more books on the drow.

i have read WOTSQ, up to date on drizzt, the lady penitent, and starlight & shadows.

but the list would be some of my favorites, even if some of them made me mad.
i read penitent 2'x, listened/read drizzt series 2'x and will likely read WOTSQ again while i'm away this summer. I cant read starlight and shadows again b/c they are on the computer.

but i dont supose their is many other drow books out their.
i have been trying to listen to LOTR on audio, particualry while doing chores. makes washing dishes easier.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Books I've found myself enjoying to read over the years.

R.A Salvatore's books are very enjoyable, I need to college all the ones on Drow that I can. (ravenous at times)

The Last Wish- Andrezj Sapkowski- the Witcher series are incredible books so far only two have been translated to english and they're absolutely incredible.
Hobbit and LOTR- great books haven't read them in years

Kingdom of Shanara(can't spell)- not bad books at all.

there's more that I have but cannot think of them
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

i like acedemia books: books about religion, science, history, ect.
i do enjoy the books about drow, list above sounds right. havent read the series about jaraxle outside of the servent of the shard, but if i get a chance to go to the library, i hope they have it.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Rhei Lor'akris
Regular

Post by Rhei Lor'akris »

Two geology textbooks I am currently reading for corresponding upper division classes:

Sedimentary Geology - An Introduction to Sedimentary Rocks and Stratigraphy. Second Edition. Donald R. Prothero, Fred Schwab.

&

Principles of Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology - Second Edition. John D. Winter.

As for favorite fantasy books I've read. It would have to be the first two of the WotSQ series.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

hmm, choices, choices: I'd have to go with a my Geo books for older classes, and always the good history texts.
As for fantasy/sci-fi, I'd probably recommend the Drizzt series by R.A, the Clone Commando series by Karen Traviss, and the Clone series by Steven Kent, Go clones, Delta and Omega squads 8) :D
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

As far as my college books? I have a book called backpack literature and one for my programming class, either way.. neither are fun to read.. neither is Frankenstein and Dr. Faustus
Site, story being redone

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Wha? Fastus was awsome.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

I've been getting back in comics of late and have picked up a few good grapihic novels namely "Old Man Logan", "KickAss" and "The Ulitmates". All of these were writen by Mark Millar and he is well worth reading indeed.

The Ulimates is definately worth looking at as I would say it'll be the template in which the Captain America and the Avengers movies will be based on.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I actually have two favorite books, both for very different reasons.

The first is a book called God's Equal by Alain Absire. This book is my favorite because it was the first real book I ever read, and I read it with gusto. I wouldn't be as into reading as I am now if it hadn't been for this gripping and emotional tale of a young squire's love for the knight he idolized.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Attwood is my second. This book is so far out of what I'm used to that I was sure I was going to hate it, but I read it from start to finish. This enchanting story of a man's journey through life leading up to and beyond the end of the world as we know it had me so entranced that after it hooked me I literally didn't put it down until I was finished reading it. I only have a handful of books that I can say held my attention like that for so long.

Both are such good books that I would recommend to anyone who considers themselves fans of good literature.

[quote="Drakashin":277qdx1d]Daughter of the Drow series was very good.[/quote:277qdx1d]

I agree with that up until the third book where things were so rushed that I was left scratching my head by the time it was over. It's not even that I didn't like the ending, the whole book was just so...forced.

[quote="Argoth":277qdx1d]Children of Hurin by Tolkien[/quote:277qdx1d]

That book wasn't even written by Tolkien technically. It was the result of an unfinished narrative that his son completed for him. I don't pretend to know if it's good or not, but I'm also told a lot of people think it never should have been published because it was, to quote one reviewer, "pointlessly tragic". Eh, if you enjoyed it then more power to ya buddy.
Last edited by Narsia Ny'Dhun on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

I've been reading a lot of late, it passes the time when you're travelling between destinations ;)

I picked up a battered old copy of probably one of my favourite of books: The Keys to Paradise by Robert Vardeman

[img:3h474d23]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA300_.jpg[/img:3h474d23]

I've read this book probably about 8 times over the last 20 odd years and I still love it.

It's a classic high fantasy tale with 3 main characters: an old fighter/soldier, a young wiley thief and a human/feline [transanimal hybrid] girl who go on a quest to collect the 5 keys to the gates of paradise. They start out with 2 keys and have to find the other 3.

It's the ending of the book, which I will not give away, which has had the most profound effect on me. In a sense I honestly believe Vardeman wrote a singular truth about the human condition and the way to attain "paradise". I can't explain any further without giving more away but for me at least, it gave me an insight into a way in which to look at life.

The other great thing about this book is that you can buy a copy for literally nothing via amazon.com.uk, paying for postage mostly.

Seriously worth it friends.

[quote:3h474d23]Drakashin wrote:
Daughter of the Drow series was very good.

I agree with that up until the third book where things were so rushed that I was left scratching my head by the time it was over. It's not even that I didn't like the ending, the whole book was just so...forced. [/quote:3h474d23]

I agree 100% Narsia. The 1st 2 books were fabulous and really drew me in. The 3rd book though did indeed feel rushed, that it was churned out to meet publishing deadlines etc. I believe that the book should have been broken into 2 and further development of the characters and storyline was needed. What is also sad is that WoTC never bothered to follow up Liriel as a character even though the series was immensely popular. I believe it is because they wanted to kill off Eilistraee and thus didn't want further stories about her and her followers [in this case Liriel] mucking up their retcon'ed universe which everyone loathes. I think we can all agree that Liriel is a far more intriguing character than Drizzt and had much more potential to become a major power in the Realms setting. Liriel has become a footnote in WoTC's new realms, barely even mentioned even though she played a major part in realms shaping history. :bored:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

are their any other books with about drow? i mean stories types.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

I meant frankenstein was a chore to read. -shrug- But I've been trying to get my hands on pretty much anything drow. Especially dnd source books. It sucks that the dnd books are like 15-20 bucks used(pretty steep at times) and 30-40+ new far more than my wod books (world of darkness)
Site, story being redone

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Now that I got my favorites out of the way, I'm here again to suggest a relatively new series of books for anyone who happens to be a fan of dragons to any extent.

The Age of Fire by E.E. Knight is a series of fives books that are literally all about dragons. Humans, dwarves and other sentient life forms all for, the supporting cast for the three main characters, three young dragons siblings. The first three books are, to a point, the same story told from the points of view of the three siblings as they are born, and then grow from hatchlings, to drakes, to full fledged dragons. It's an immensely insightful series into the societal aspects of creatures we've all been fascinated with since childhood, but have never had any kind of real knowledge of since they have until now been reduced to fodder for heroes or magical sidekicks.

I'm still only on the first book, but it is so well written that I genuinely cannot wait to get my hooks into the next one.

For reference I will list the books in order for anyone who wants to give them a peek.

Book 1: Dragon Champion

Book 2: Dragon Avenger

Book 3: Dragon Outcast

Book 4: Dragon Strike

Book 5: Dragon Rule
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

[quote="Zekafae":15yhpmlb]I meant frankenstein was a chore to read. -shrug- But I've been trying to get my hands on pretty much anything drow. Especially dnd source books. It sucks that the dnd books are like 15-20 bucks used(pretty steep at times) and 30-40+ new far more than my wod books (world of darkness)[/quote:15yhpmlb]

my husband cheated and went to pirate bay and downloaded d&d books.
plus he had an old (2nd edition) cd with tons of info, charcter creater/sheets, ect
signature made by Larlan
~Character~