The Official Eilistraeen Music Thread

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Re: The Official Eilistraeen Music Thread

Post by Alaric Darkrose »

This song pumps me up when I need to focus. Usually, I try to listen to it before a test. Unless I'm winging it, then it would be Frank Sinatra's "Luck Be A Lady."

At any rate.....M.O.V.E.'s Dogfight.

[youtube:2f05fd5o]GKURxNMi2xA[/youtube:2f05fd5o]
"There are those who think, and those who dream. I, for one, refuse to choose between the two." -Liriel Baenre.

T'rissrak
Maid
Maid

Post by T'rissrak »

I offer a translation of Providence by Kamelot, which has the mix of defiance, hope and despair common to devotees of the Dark Maiden still trapped in the web of the Spider Queen.
([url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFDwL0aF34:dp1cxp6x]youtube.com video of the original song[/url:dp1cxp6x])

Ghil – Usstan tlun p’los dos
Nindol khel uriu tlus rrhovoruth
Usstan orn naut rei
Xal – Draeval thir’ku
Usstan lor ulu nindol inthuul dro
Usstan kyorl er’griff nilah
Ifa uns’aa:
Usstan orn naut shar’tleg
Nindol p’leik orn
Jous euolen ulnin
Dos zhaun
Usstan fre’sla xuil dek’zan p’los uns’aa
Nind drital lil’alure
Wun l’isto
Usstan nnabiss doeb ussta killian
Ussta khel kr’athin ulu malar
Usstan z’hin wund lil chath
Nind telanth Usstan reius
Drill Usstan ilindith obok
Usstan, Orn Naut
Venduin elghinn
Ka nind, Xun quarth
Usstan tlun naut stre
Jivvust xuil ap’za nin‘sohna
Usstan rei ulu ussta la’uren
Jivvust xuil ap’za
Vel’drav orn vigaj kku
Usstan tlun vel’bol dos morfel
Nin
Usstan inbal mzild drasven
Lil Chath treiwus ulu chu’tgera
Drill Usstan quin dro
O -
Usstan neiter ssiggrin
Usstan orn’la kyorl lil tangi
Vel’drav lil xus aue qeeh
Tesso, ussa yallt zhah lil tangi
Jal p’leik, Orn ulnin aul tarthe
Usstan rei ulu ussta la’uren
Vel’drav orn ramith kku
Nindolen ramith orn ulnin kku

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/indie/poemsbyt ... m:dp1cxp6x]Songs for the Drow Bard[/url:dp1cxp6x] - Other translations you might enjoy
Usstan aske’th lil drathir / Lu’l’sssiks ‘udtila naut zhaun / Usstan jousus ussta flamgran / Lu’l’drathir jialaus a ussa
CinderSuru
Champion
Location: Ontario, where the free winds blow throw the sliver wood trees on rocky shores this is my home

Re: The Promenade: Shelter, Church, Home

Post by CinderSuru »

[youtube:3l3cbpce]G0mzLQyd36A[/youtube:3l3cbpce]

Mod Edit: Moved here from RP, Bhaern
Irae'xyra Hun'und
Maid
Maid

Post by Irae'xyra Hun'und »

I like the translated one. Interesting you chose to do so.

A tad more Christian then I'd like, but the overall message I think is good for Eilistraee.
Here's my contribution: "Winterborn", from the Cruxshadows

Dry your eyes and quietly bear this pain with pride
For heaven shall remember the silent and the brave
And promise me they will never see, the fear within our eyes
(my eyes are closed)
We will give strength to those who still remain

So bury fear, for fate draws near
And hide the signs of pain
With noble acts, the bravest souls
Endure the heart's remains
Discard regret, that in this debt
A better world is made
That children of a newer day might remember
And avoid our fate

(I've waited all day in the pouring rain, but nobody came, no, nobody came)

And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winter born
Without denying, a faith is come
That I have never known
I hear the angels call my name
And I am Winter born

Hold your head up high-for there is no greater love
Think of the faces of the people you defend
(you defend)
And promise me, they will never see the tears within our eyes
(my eyes are closed)
Although we are men, with mortal sins, angels never cry

So bury fear, for fate draws near
And hide the signs of pain
With noble acts, the bravest souls
Endure the heart's remains
Discard regret, that in this debt
A better world is made
That children of a newer day might remember
And avoid our fate

We will be your light
And I am Winter born
Without denying, a faith in God
That I have never known
And I am Winter born

I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born

We will be the light
And I am Winter born
Without denying, a faith in man
That I have never known
And I am Winter born

Within this moment now
I am for you, though better men have failed
I will give my life for love
For I am Winter born
And in my dying
I'm more alive, than I have ever been
I will make this sacrifice
For I am Winter born
Ghaunadan_Lost
Maid
Maid

Post by Ghaunadan_Lost »

This may be overplayed and perhaps previously discussed, but there are only two thoughts I have concerning Eilistraee's music:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWL8RdVJMVg

"Adiemus" by ...Adiemus - an amazing nonsense-language song that gets better every time you hear it. I could see Eilistraee's priestesses and/or bards sounding like this. For a more "far-fetched" version, or at least one attempting to focus more on dance (and Eilistraee's priestesses do dance when doing...well, everything. Honestly, I'm not sure if they lace their boots (when they occassionally wear them) without jumping into a dance like this), see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQFAY2M9Ko

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMU5EeMEt4s

While this song tends to annoy first-time listeners, repeat listeners seem to come around to the artists' goal here - a beautiful, mystical approach to a much older country song. I urge you to watch/hear this. The original, if you're interested is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTEtDBHGY4. In both, I believe, you can hear a strange honesty that most songs simply cannot touch. I could see Eilistraee's priestesses singing with such a passion.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Mmm, both quite beautiful songs (though not sure why YouTube lists Adiemus as being by Enya; to the best of my knowledge she has nothing to do with the song). Thank you for posting. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Ghaunadan_Lost
Maid
Maid

Post by Ghaunadan_Lost »

Shir'le, you are absolutely correct. I don't know why everyone [strike:mw6p3ous]absorbs[/strike:mw6p3ous] lumps Adiemus songs into Enya - then again, I suppose it says something about the strength of Enya's voice and empire that people assume every "new age" (a woefully simplistic classification) song they hear is somehow related to her. (But I bear her no ill will for that. If I could [strike:mw6p3ous]digest[/strike:mw6p3ous] marry any woman on [strike:mw6p3ous]Oerth[/strike:mw6p3ous] Earth, she'd be near the top of the list. I'm not not even [strike:mw6p3ous]burbling[/strike:mw6p3ous] joking here, Enya is amazing).

But no, as far as I'm aware, the two are in no way related.

Love,
The Lost Ghaunadan
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

First post so not sure if will work? =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJhNuEuaAk

Beauty Song:

There is a beauty in the North
Stunning and singular
One glance of hers fells a city
A second glance lays waste the Empire
The city or Empire may fall to ruins
Rare beauty is here and now--

Or something roughly like that anyway since there's a lot of different ways you can translate the song (which is 2000 years old or thereabouts, and famous, by Li Yannian, a royal musician of the Han Dynasty). ^^;; But I use it as my Eilistraeen character's theme song. I thought it fit since Eilistraee is the drow goddess of beauty and she's working against her mother's "evil empire" trying to show drow there's more to life than status and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjG3Odrt-eo

Cold Fairyland - Seeds on the Ground:

We are all children of the City
You are the seeds on the ground
We will love
One day will die
But when we arrive
We'll see the blue mountains
See the blue sea

Seeds of the ground were blown by the wind over the City
They were born in strange pots
Though impossible to love, and eventually to die
The stars above gleam their light, trembling

Gleam their light, trembling

On the ground, where the seed fell and rooted
It flew wildly through the woods
Though eventually to die abandoned, unloved
The sun has left a trace...

One day, you will return, to the blue wilderness
See the outside world, the white clouds of the sky
And your smile will bloom, spreading like the flowering of earth
This is the prophecy in me to realize.

This one always reminded me of Eilistraeean dogma with returning to the surface where the flowers bloom etc. Translation is a bit messed up, was trying to make it a bit more grammatical but I may have changed the meaning too much, sorry...
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I like the first song (''Song of Beauty''), both the voice of the singer and your interpretation of it.

To be honest, I don't quite get this passage of the second song :

''Seeds of the ground were blown by the wind over the City
They were born in strange pots
Though impossible to love, and eventually to die
The stars above gleam their light, trembling

Gleam their light, trembling

On the ground, where the seed fell and rooted
It flew wildly through the woods
Though eventually to die abandoned, unloved
The sun has left a trace... ''

But the rest of it surely fits Eilistraee's calling the drow to their rightful place in the lands of light.

Thank you for sharing, and welcome to the Chosen of Eilistraee. It's always nice to see new faces around here :)

Also, a bit late to comment but

[quote:2ms4z404]This may be overplayed and perhaps previously discussed, but there are only two thoughts I have concerning Eilistraee's music:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWL8RdVJMVg

"Adiemus" by ...Adiemus - an amazing nonsense-language song that gets better every time you hear it. I could see Eilistraee's priestesses and/or bards sounding like this. For a more "far-fetched" version, or at least one attempting to focus more on dance (and Eilistraee's priestesses do dance when doing...well, everything. Honestly, I'm not sure if they lace their boots (when they occassionally wear them) without jumping into a dance like this), see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQFAY2M9Ko[/quote:2ms4z404]

Yeah, I can definitely picture Eilistraee's priestesses singing this kind of passionate songs in their rituals, or even during the day. Maybe this is how the ''eerily beautiful echoes of half a dozen or more of solos at once, drifting down the passages'' of the Promenade sound like, when the priestesses sing the ''Call to Eilistraee'' or their Flame Songs.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Thanks. ^^ I'm glad you liked.

Regarding the Seeds on the Ground song. Sorry if the meaning's unclear. The singer in the second verse, is saying the seeds on the ground ended up in two places. In one, they got blown by the wind into the city and wound up unnaturally stuck in flowerpots. In the second they end up blown by the wind into the woods. In both cases the seeds die either in the earth (in the pot), or on the earth (in the woods) alone and apparently uncared for. But in fact the sun and the stars have seen them and shone their light on them, left the light they needed within them---so that when spring comes, the seeds will return from death, from earth---to the wider world---sprouting and reaching out beautifully under the sky.

So regarding how it fits Eilistraeen drow. The second verse still makes sense if you think that most drow are born underground: "a strange pot" if there ever was one. Drow were elves cursed and forced underground. Most of them are born into a quite unnatural existence in the Underdark and suffer there horribly at the hands of each other. They fall there and die alone, under the earth, unloved, but also impossible[i:bo06i0e2] to[/i:bo06i0e2] love---after all, their beautiful physical appearance is merely a thin veneer for them being nauseating monsters twisted beyond belief. -.-;;

Even if they get to the surface, usually because of some miserable personal circumstance, surfacers often kill them on sight, tired of being made their victims. Therefore the life even drow on the surface have, is quite likely to be one lived on the run, literally (flew wildly through the woods). And that makes it likely that they too will fall, on the earth, and still end their lives alone.

So whether they are in the Underdark or on the surface, it doesn't matter which they choose, or where they go, but they are going to suffer.

After all, the drow are monsters that were left alone in the dark to die.

But they were never really alone; Eilistraee was always watching them. And a small bit of light was still shining for them. So for certain drow, the drow that are most likely to find their way under her wing, at some point in their lives, they were somehow touched by a bit of that light, hope, love, etc. And they still carry that little bit of light in them in their hearts, and that potential sleeping within them is what will allow them to once again be true elves, and no longer monsters. So one day, when the time is right---that potential will bloom. They will finally understand what they are, what has truly happened to them and their people, and then, they will "return." Or in other words, redemption. That means physically returning, yes, but also mentally and spiritually. They will know what it is to not just see the wider world, but really see it---and to smile from their heart---and also finally able to appreciate what that means.

So imagining things that way more or less, I think the song fits Eilistraeen dogma, kind of. ^^;;
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Shae":s34m3wbc]Thanks. ^^ I'm glad you liked.

Regarding the Seeds on the Ground song. Sorry if the meaning's unclear. The singer in the second verse, is saying the seeds on the ground ended up in two places. In one, they got blown by the wind into the city and wound up unnaturally stuck in flowerpots. In the second they end up blown by the wind into the woods. In both cases the seeds die either in the earth (in the pot), or on the earth (in the woods) alone and apparently uncared for. But in fact the sun and the stars have seen them and shone their light on them, left the light they needed within them---so that when spring comes, the seeds will return from death, from earth---to the wider world---sprouting and reaching out beautifully under the sky.

So regarding how it fits Eilistraeen drow. The second verse still makes sense if you think that most drow are born underground: "a strange pot" if there ever was one. Drow were elves cursed and forced underground. Most of them are born into a quite unnatural existence in the Underdark and suffer there horribly at the hands of each other. They fall there and die alone, under the earth, unloved, but also impossible[i:s34m3wbc] to[/i:s34m3wbc] love---after all, their beautiful physical appearance is merely a thin veneer for them being nauseating monsters twisted beyond belief. -.-;;

Even if they get to the surface, usually because of some miserable personal circumstance, surfacers often kill them on sight, tired of being made their victims. Therefore the life even drow on the surface have, is quite likely to be one lived on the run, literally (flew wildly through the woods). And that makes it likely that they too will fall, on the earth, and still end their lives alone.

So whether they are in the Underdark or on the surface, it doesn't matter which they choose, or where they go, but they are going to suffer.

After all, the drow are monsters that were left alone in the dark to die.

But they were never really alone; Eilistraee was always watching them. And a small bit of light was still shining for them. So for certain drow, the drow that are most likely to find their way under her wing, at some point in their lives, they were somehow touched by a bit of that light, hope, love, etc. And they still carry that little bit of light in them in their hearts, and that potential sleeping within them is what will allow them to once again be true elves, and no longer monsters. So one day, when the time is right---that potential will bloom. They will finally understand what they are, what has truly happened to them and their people, and then, they will "return." Or in other words, redemption. That means physically returning, yes, but also mentally and spiritually. They will know what it is to not just see the wider world, but really see it---and to smile from their heart---and also finally able to appreciate what that means.

So imagining things that way more or less, I think the song fits Eilistraeen dogma, kind of. ^^;;[/quote:s34m3wbc]

It is clear now, thanks for the explanation. I find this to be truly inspiring and a very fitting metaphor for how Eilistraee tries to be a mother goddess for all the drow, showing them the joy of life that was unjustly taken from them, helping them flourish in an hostile world.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ugL1yD0I-I

There are no lyrics in this song. It just happens to be stuck in my head and I haven't seemed to be able to stop playing it anyway when I'm doing stuff for the past few days so I thought I'd put it here. =_=;;

It'd occured to me that it does kind of resemble something like a Eilistraeen High Hunt atmosphere especially since the video images have forest and running wolves in the early part, and the butterfly reminds of chaos theory (very drow...) and there's dancers in white at the end.

--Du Fu
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Shae":uh43m78c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ugL1yD0I-I[/quote:uh43m78c]
Mmm, the music in that is quite nice. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Yeah, it's very catchy, no doubt. ^^;;

--Du Fu
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duuHXTngBgQ

I don't know that you can call this Eilistraeen-themed, but maybe Masked Lady-type?

--Du Fu